Sand In My Shorts [Sandstorm Team - Peaked 19]

First Look!
Team Building:

Obviously, I needed to start with the only Poke that can create an infinite Sandstorm in UU.

Next, I needed some Sandstorm abusers. I went with the most obvious, Stoutland, and a personal favorite, Cacturne.

Next, I wanted someone who could setup hazards and be immune to Sandstorm: Nidoqueen.

I needed some sort of wall, and Rock-types are great in Sandstorm, so I chose Regirock.

Now I needed another defensive Pokemon that rounded out my weakness. Enter: the new king of "who cares about residual damage, anyway?"

Then, I decided to ditch the entry hazards and focus more on the offensive, so I swapped Nidoqueen for her brother, Nidoking.

At this point, I tried a lot of different walls in place of Regirock. I tried Empoleon, Quagsire, Gligar, Shuckle, and Cradily. No matter what, this spot always seems to pull the least amount of weight.

Eventually, I settled with Slowking, who patched up large Fighting and Ice-type weaknesses pretty well.

Then, I realized that the two Kings (lol) were holding me back. I got rid of a the first King (Nidoking) and installed an emperor (Empoleon). In place of Slowking I added Hitmontop for physical checking.

In Depth Look:

The Storm (Hippopotas) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def /4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Protect
- Earthquake

Purpose: Kinda obviously, the purpose is to setup Sandstorm first. After that, I like to Yawn against Pokemon that I know will straight out attack first, followed by a Protect or Stealth Rock. For Donphan leads (and anyone else who will try to get hazards up first), I like to get my Rocks up and follow up with a lot of Yawns, forcing switches and Stealth Rock damage until someone tries to attack, making them fall asleep. After his lead shenanigans are completed, he becomes a physical wall.

EVs: Bulky set with max HP and max Def for physical hits. Boosted by Eviolite, Hippopotas is pretty hard to take down.

Moveset: This moveset is pretty standard as far as I know. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, Yawn is for status, Protect is for stalling and for making Yawn more effective, while Earthquake is for STAB damage.

Possible Changes: I could change something for Slack Off, or change Earthquake to Stone Edge for Flying and Ice-types for damage on the switch.

Scooby Doo (Stoutland) (M) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
- Retaliate

Purpose: Stoutland is the Sand Rusher of UU and a staple for any Sandstorm team. I use him here as an all-out attacker and an excellent revenge killer. Not much else to say, really. Stoutland lacks any sort of movepool but you can't really run a Sandstorm team without him, at least until Sandslash's Dream World ability (Sand Rush) is released.

EVs: EVs are standard. Max Atk and Spd for optimal killing ability.

Moveset: I really cannot decide on one moveset with Stoutland. It seems like I swap moves in and out every game (even though there's not much to choose from). Return is a good STAB move, Crunch is for those pesky Ghost-types, Fire Fang is for 4x weaknesses to Fire, and Retaliate is an amazing STAB revenge killer move.

Possible Changes: I ran the Choice Band on Stoutland for a while, but I like changing my moves up mid-battle. Also, people always expect the Band, so I can use the Silk Scarf to bluff the Band and catch a Ghost-type off-guard.

Fruit Ninja (Cacturne) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Def / 28 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute

Purpose: The purpose of Cacturne is to make people angry. And rage quit. Here's how it normally happens: I let them switch into their bulky water against my Hippopotas, who I use as fodder (or bait, depending on his health). After I predict the Water-type move coming in, I go into Cacturne. (Opponent switches out) Cacturne uses Substitute (Opponent's attack misses), Cacturne uses Swords Dance, (Cacturne's substitute faded), Cacturne uses Swords Dance, Cacturne uses Sucker Punch. Good game, ha. Oh, you want to Phaze? Seed Bomb!

EVs: Let's face it, Cacturne isn't going to out-speed much. He gets his speed from priority and prediction. Instead, I went with the more bulky route, which serves him pretty well since his defenses are not the best.

Moveset: The best possible moveset for Cacturne.

Possible Changes: I might go with BrightPowder to really piss people off. Changing the EVs around a little is also an option.

Caesar (Empoleon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Purpose: I decided to run Empoleon for two reasons: the first was his 4x resistance to the ever-present Ice-type attacks. The second was his coverage. I was lacking a Water-type move and Empoleon does those pretty well, especially with Choice Specs.

EVs: I gave Empoleon a lot of bulk because he can't out-speed much without Agility. The rest was dumped into SAtk.

Moveset: Surf is as Surf does. Strong STAB move serves it's purpose well. Ice Beam is for almost everything (except Empoleon of course, Grass Knot is for Gastrodon and Quagsire (pretty much), and Hidden Power [Fire] is for coverage.

Possible Changes: There are a lot of possible changes. I could change his set to the Agility set or to the SDef based set or just give him the heave-ho altogether.

Spin My Head (Hitmontop) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Foresight

Purpose: Rapid Spin support is always nice and Hitmontop does it pretty well. Apart from that, Hitmontop serves as a great check to both Mamoswine and Heracross, two very annoying physical beasts.

EVs: This is the standard support Hitmontop setup.

Moveset: Rapid Spin is for getting rid of hazards, Stone Edge is for attacking anything weak to it (for whatever reason), Close Combat is a good STAB move for some damage before I hightail it outta there. Foresight is so I can still Rapid Spin on Ghost-types that try to switch in.

Possible Changes: Well, I'm still undecided on whether or not I even want to keep Hitmontop, so there are a lot of possibilities. I could try an offensive set, but I wouldn't serve as that great of a check to Heracross and Mamoswine.

Pharaoh (Sigilyph) (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power
- Cosmic Power
- Roost

Purpose: Defensive powerhouse and burning machine. Sigilyph is one of the most deadly Pokemon on a Sandstorm team given the right setup, and always annoying to the other team.

EVs: Bulky set to last a long time.

Moveset: Psycho Shift to hurt physical attackers and walls, Stored Power for use after a few Cosmic Powers, Cosmic Power to make sure damage is minimal, and Roost to stay healthy.

Possible Changes: As I've said before, he can be a complete special wall.

Substitutes:

Prickly Pear (Sandslash) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk) / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance/Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Shadow Claw
- Rapid Spin/Brick Break/Substitute

Purpose: I really want them to release this guy's new Dream World ability, Sand Rush, which makes him very deadly in Sand. He can setup with Swords Dance or Hone Claws, and then go to town on people. He has a lot of attacking options, and the ability to Rapid Spin, but I don't know what set to run. This could make him like a very watered down Excadrill, only in UU. He has a much deeper movepool than Stoutland and seems like a more viable option, though I would still probably use them both on the same team.

EVs: Same as Stoutland, max Atk and Spd for the most death.

Moveset: Swords Dance and Hone Claws are for setting up, Earthquake is an obvious STAB move, Rock Slide and Stone Edge give great coverage. I could also use Shadow Claw/Brick Break for the Ghost/Fighting coverage. Rapid Spin is to get rid of entry hazards, while Substitute is for setting up behind.

Possible Changes: His moveset is pretty iffy. I probably won't even use him, but if you can help make him better that would be awesome just incase I do try him out.

And there you have it. That is my UU Sandstorm team. I really need some help with the fifth spot, but any help is much appreciated. Thanks for reading this far, and please comment as you probably know better than I do. Thanks!

Changes in BOLD

Hai Thar. Its cool to see I'm not the only one using Cacturne, lol, 'cause he is boss in sand.

As with alot of Sandstorm teams in UU, there are two pokemon that give you major issues: Heracross and Mamoswine. You have nothing that can reliably take a Heracross Megahorn, especially if it gets a guts boost off Sigilyph and nothing can take an Icicle Crash/EQ from Mamo. You can revenge them, but nothing can switch in. As a result, Choice Scarf Heracross and LO Mamoswine will cause you a ton of problems.

I have two solutions that you could use, the first is to replace Slowking with Slowbro. Slowbro is the best physical wall in UU and can tank almost any physical hits. The second part of this solution is to replace Nidoking with Gligar. Gligar will help against attackers like Heracross or Escavalier, and is incredibly annoying in sand due to Sand Veil, allowing it to stall out many teams who are unprepared for it. Here are the sets:

move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Scald
move 3: Psyshock
move 4: Slack Off
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold
ability: Regenerator
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk

move 1: Substitute / Stealth Rock
move 2: Roost
move 3: Toxic / Taunt
move 4: Earthquake
item: Eviolite
ability: Sand Veil
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

The other suggestion would be to replace Slowking with Hitmontop, which can check the two threats, though lacks reliable recovery:

name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Foresight
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Sucker Punch / Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

You might also want to try out a CM Sigilyph so that it isn't trolled so hard by Dark Types:

name: Calm Mind Attacker
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Stored Power
move 3: Roost
move 4: Air Slash
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def/ 6 Spe

Nice UU team. I've got a few suggestions to make it better though.

First off, I'd change Stoutland's item to a Silk Scarf. This lets him bluff a Choice Band since there's no recoil. Then, when your opponent switches in a ghost to block Return/Retaliate, you can nab a surprise OHKO with Crunch. Normally, you'd use an Expert Belt but Normal obviously isn't Super Effective against anything so it's inferior here.

Nidoking works best with a Life Orb; this is probably why you're lacking success. Thanks to his stellar ability, he takes no recoil damage from LO. This is really the biggest advantage he has over other pokemon, since his stats are mediocre. basically, I'd either change his set to the LO variant, or replace him with an new revenge killer such as Yanmega.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Dude, the majority of your team is weak to ice, if your Slowking dies, you have no real way to defend against it. That being said I think you should consider Tank Registeel over slowking or Cacturne, preferably Cacturne because he really acomplishes nothing and is quite situational. And BTW brightpowder is banned.

Hi there, an alright team.
I'm back from the vacations, so it's back to the teamrating!
What I'll start with is that you seem to be dissapointed in Slowking. Rackham 'ere suggested his dumber brother, but i suggest you could go for Cresselia.

Cresselia@ Leftovers
Levitate
Bold, 128? HP/252 Def/128? Sp.Def
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Moonlight
-Toxic/Lunar Dance

Cresselia was great when i used it. Back from the holidays i don't know how to start again on PO, i forgot what i was pursuing. Anyway, to explain the set: Calm Mind makes you very hard to take down and possibly strong enough to kill something. Psychic is your only move, Moonlight keeps you going and the last move is to support. Toxic kills Suicune and friends, while Lunar Dance can completely save the match giving a poke a new chance to sweep.

For the EV-spread, in HP you should throw in as many EVs as to allow you to have perfect Lefties recovery, then 252 in Defense and throw the rest in Sp.Def.

Moving on, I agree with Pimp that Ice-Type moves hurt you. First things first, I suggest you put Flamethrower on the King, as he should always have it. With Cress in the team, i don't see why Sigylyph should be in the team anymore, just adding a Dark- and Ice-Type weakness. Change him for a poke resisting Ice. It's up to you to fit in a another Wall there, or even another sweeper.

Also, give Cacturne a Fighting-type move like Drain Punch to be able to hit Steels instead of Sub.

I'll stop for now.

Good Luck,
Cap'n

A few suggestions...

Hippopotas:
Protect may be nice with Yawn but is it really worth not having Slack Off? Look at it this way. If you use Yawn on something that can kill you next turn, sure Protect saves Hippo, but if they switch you just wasted a turn on Protect. If you run Slack Off, you either gain back your health or Hippo dies. Hippo dying is actually really nice for you since they now have a Sleeping pokemon in battle and you have the ability to switch in anything for a free turn of setup (Cacturne anyone?). If they want to KO your Hippo in exchange for sleep, it may be best to simply let them and punish them for it. On the other hand, if they avoid being slept, your Hippo gains that moveslot for something more useful.

Empoleon:

Replace HP Fire with Flash Cannon. Surf is already quite good against most Steel-types and Flash Cannon will tear hail teams a new one, and hail is all the rage these days. You can also try Hydro Pump (since Flash Cannon can be your 100% acc. STAB) for serious devastation, but I understand if you are leery of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)