1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sand in the Wound (A Sandstorm Team)

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Zwaken, May 8, 2012.

1. Zwaken

Zwaken

This is the first team I've posted here in the "Rate My Team" area. I've looked at some other threads, so I think I know what I'm doing :P

SAND IN THE WOUND

My goal with this team was just to have some fun with sandstorm. There are a good number of Pokemon that benefit greatly with sandstorm support, whether it be an ability like sand force, getting a 50% boost to special defense, or just being able to not get hurt in by it while the opponent does. I'm not sure about what items to give each Pokemon, which is the main reason why I'm posting about this team. Please comment on other things which may be improved upon though. (Keep in mind, I only have one leftovers.)

-Hippowdon-

[​IMG]

Item: Undetermined
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Moves:
    -Slack Off
    -Earthquake
    -Roar
    -Ice Fang

You were probably expecting to either see Tyranitar or Hippowdon here for a sandstorm team. Well, you're right. Basically his role on my team is to set up sandstorm, switch out, let some of my support based members do their work, and get him back him to set up sandstorm again (if needed), cause some switches, act as a wall and do a little bit of attacking. Pretty standard stuff.

-Crustle-

[​IMG]
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Sturdy
    Moves:
    -X-Scissor
    -Stone Edge
    -Stealth Rock
    -Spikes

Your first thought is probably "WHAT?! Why Crustle, of all things? Most of the other members on this team are in OU or higher!" Well, he has neat STAB moves, great physical defense, great special defense while sandstorm is in play, decent attack, and I just think he's a cool Pokemon. Most people would most likely put Forretress here, but I think that's too predictable, and also, he doesn't get a boost to his special defense in a sandstorm. As you can tell, this little guy's role is to set up entry hazards, and get some damage in, as well. With Stone Edge and X-Scissor, he has pretty good coverage.

-Ferrothorn-

[​IMG]
    Item: Rocky Helmet (?)
    Nature: Sassy
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Moves:
    -Power Whip
    -Gyro Ball
    -Leech Seed
    -Spikes

A pretty obvious choice. Great defensive typing, great defenses, great moves, just a great Pokemon all around. If you're wondering why I have two Pokemon who can both use spikes, it's because: A) If one dies, the other can still set up some entry hazards B) To make up for the fact that I don't have a spin blocker... Yeah, I know, this is a pretty entry hazard heavy team, and I don't have a spin blocker. Well, that's why I have two Pokemon with entry hazards, and they both play different roles than that as well. I'm thinking rocky helmet as the item because it goes so well with Ferrothorn's ability. Ferrothorn's role is to provide various forms of support with spikes and leech seed, be a tank, and get a little more type coverage in here.

-Bronzong-

[​IMG]
    Item: Light Clay
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Levitate
    Moves:
    -Earthquake
    -Psychic
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen

Basic dual screen support. I decided to go with a quiet nature because he's really the only one that can do any significant special attack damage. Although I (for the most part) don't rely on attacking for this team (mostly residual damage through sandstorm and entry hazards), it is still nice to know I have at least one member that can do a decent job with special attacks. Bronzong's role is to put up dual screens, get some more type coverage, and be a special attacker when needed.

-Stoutland-
    [​IMG]
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sand Rush
    Moves:
    -Retaliate
    -Crunch
    -Fire Fang
    -Ice Fang

The revenge killer. With sand rush and dual screen support, this guy is one tough pup. Overall, his stats are pretty good, but I wouldn't use him outside of this setting. However, with doubled speed, great move coverage and retaliate, I couldn't turn down putting this guy in my team. A STAB retaliate after a member has died with 100 base attack stat is deadly, especially when his 80 base speed stat is being doubled. Throw that in with dual screen support and his already good bulk, and you've got yourself an unstoppable revenge killing machine. Stoutland's role is to revenge kill, and great move coverage.

-Excadrill-

[​IMG]
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sand Rush
    Moves:
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance

Alright. Lets settle something. Flygon? Not a bad choice. Lucario? Pretty awesome sweeper for a sand team. Scizor? Technician is awesome for his move pool. Excadrill? Dear. God. Almighty. While he's not the bulkiest crayon in the box, he has an incredible base attack stat, access to sword dance and rapid spin, has STAB earthquake, but most of all, sand rush. 88 base speed stat isn't too bad, but it isn't anything to write to home about. Double that, combine it with his ridiculous attack stat AND swords dance, and you have one of the best sweepers in the whole game. With dual screen support, he shouldn't have any trouble with getting in a swords dance or two, and after that, it's lights out. Excadrill's role is to sweep, sweep, rapid spin, and also sweep.

Well, that's my Sandstorm team! Let me know what you guys think, and help me out with the item selection, please.

Thanks! :D
  2. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

A couple of comments:

First, your RMT is missing some important information. You need to list your Pokémon's EVs, and where you plan on using the team. (Other) is obviously vague, and your team is all over the place tier-wise. Without knowing the surrounding metagame, it's difficult to rate the team properly with regards to threats, coverage, etc.

As for the team itself, you're going to have a lot of trouble against other weather teams - every Pokémon on your team is weak to either Fire or Water (and Excadrill is weak to both). You've made the common sand team mistake of assuming everything on your team needs to be immune to the damage, when you should be dedicating several slots to support and coverage. Also, Retaliate is a bad idea. It's pretty much worthless outside of revenge killing, and the coverage moves aren't powerful enough to do that job properly.
  3. Zwaken

Zwaken

I wasn't sure where to use this team because there are pokemon from so many different tiers, but I like making teams like that sometimes. This team (like all my other teams) is mainly for pleasure, not for hardcore competitive play ^_^

As for the actual team, I'm probably going to replace Stoutland with Jellicent for a special wall and spin blocker, and will probably use either Ferrothorn or Crustle (play around with sometimes using one, and sometimes using the other) and replace one with either Calm Mind Reuniclus or Cosmic Power Sigilyph. A cosmic power / stored power set on Sigilyph is actually EXTREMELY powerful, and both of those pokemon get magic guard, so sandstorm damage won't be a problem :D
  4. Zacharias

Zacharias

I would suggest using either Alakazam or Reuniclus on this team. Magic Guard prevents residual damage, so the sand won't bother them, plus they would serve as great special attackers, something this team is really lacking.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)