1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Sand Semi-Stall Semi-Gravity - help needed

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by jtpavlock, May 25, 2013.

1. jtpavlock

jtpavlock

Intro

After going through the various Landorus sets, my attention was grabbed by the gravity set in particular. Since I had never used gravity I did my research and experimentation on what makes a gravity team function. One of the things I learned is that your team must also be able to function without gravity. This is a rough team that has been relatively successful, but I'm not as experienced in making teams as many of you guys are and could really use some help perfecting it.
    Team Building​

[​IMG]
    I started with the poke this team was originally based on, gravity landorus.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Since Landorus functions best when in the sand and I have always preferred a semi-stall play style, Hippowdon was exactly what I needed.
    He's also a great phaser and gets rocks up every game without fail. Stoutland is here because he is such a beast in sand with sand rush and
    is my go to revenge killer every time I make a sand team.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I needed a strong defensive core if I was going to pull off a semi-stall. They needed to compliment each other and be able to shrug of hits aimed at Landorus and Stoutland.
    Thus, Jellicent and Celebi were added to the team. Jellicent also has the benefit of being a spin blocker since spikes are important and very effective on a gravity team.
    Celebi also was added due to a resistance to earthquake in case the other team decides to abuse gravity for their own benefit.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Finally I lacked rapid spin and an actual spike user. Forretress is the only poke that can do both so he was a natural addition to the team.
    He also added a much needed steel typing to defend against the many dragons of the metagame.
    The Team​

[​IMG]

Landorus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Gravity
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

With Sheer Force in a sandstorm, Life Orb, STAB, and Gravity, Earthquake hits many usual counters to Landorus and hits them hard. The only thing that actually resists Earthquake are grass and bug types, but with spikes and stealth rock up, it's usually a OHKO regardless. I usually don't set up Gravity until I have my hazards so I can make sure everything that's coming in is getting an auto 25-75% damage. The other moves are there for coverage, and while I don't normally run Stone Edge due to the accuracy, Gravity grants it 100% accuracy. The EVs are for maximum speed and attacking power.

[​IMG]
    Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Slack Off
    - Whirlwind
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock

I needed Sand for Landorus to perform to it's full potential, so Hippowdon was my go-to guy. I picked him over Tyranitar due to being able to phase out threats (and rack up hazard damage) and also due to the Hippo's longevity in a match. Slackoff is for recovery and increased longevity, Whirlwind for phasing over roar to prevent being blocked by soundproof users, Earthquake for STAB, and rocks for hazard damage. The EV's enable Hippowdon to become a mixed wall that can take and survive almost any hit. It also allows it to fare better against other specially based weather users such as Politoed and Ninetales.
    [​IMG]
    Stoutland (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Return
    - Superpower
    - Crunch
    - Wild Charge

The first time I used stoutland on a sand team, I fell in love and have included him in every sand team from then on out. Sand Rush allows him to outspeed most pokes, even some with choice scarfs, and hit hard with a Choice Band. Return is my go-to hit everything hard move, Superpower is for Steel's that resist return and other normal types, Crunch is for Ghosts the are immune to the two former moves, and Wild Charge finishes it off for better coverage against flying and water pokes. The EV's are for maximum speed and attacking power.
    [​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Psychic
    - Recover
    - U-turn
    - Thunder Wave

Celebi is my status absorber, earthquake resistor, and answer to many rain teams. Psychic is for STAB, Recover for longevity, U-turn to scout, and Thunder Wave to cripple fast pokes that would otherwise prove problematic for my team. Celebi also acts as a specially defensive wall that can switch in on a lot of pokes, heal off the damage, and either spread paralysis or scout. The EV's give me max bulk with a little investment in speed to outspeed max Magnezone. This is a poke that could be improved as I just kind of went with a standard set and forced it on my team.

[​IMG]
    Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Taunt

On a team that relies on entry hazards with Gravity to maximize entry damage, a spin blocker was much needed. I picked Jellicent due to it's bulk, synergy with the rest of my team, and the ability to cripple other pokes with Taunt and Will-O-Wisp. Scald is for STAB and the bonus chance to burn, and Recover is for longevity. The EV's allow Jellicent to tank a physical hit so it can follow up with a burn, and the rest are for overall bulk. This is another poke I was unsure of when building my team, and I feel like it could be improved.

[​IMG]
    Forretress @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes
    - Volt Switch
    - Pain Split

Since I didn't want to be hindered by my own Gravity, I needed a spinner to get rid of any spikes on the field. Also, since Spikes were crucial to the success of this team, I needed a poke that could easily get a couple of layers up without dying. Pain Split is a much needed recovery move since I don't have Wish support and Forretress finds himself having to tank a lot of physical hits. Volt Switch is there to maintain offensive momentum and to scout or bring in Landorus or Stoutland safely. I'm not usually a fan of Forretress, since it's really only a one-trick pony, but it's good at what it does and is the only poke that can both set up spikes and spin them away.

Conclusion​

Well there you have it, I put a good bit of though and research into this team, but I feel like it could still be improved on greatly. This is where you guys come in! So please, don't hold back and rate away. I am open to any and all suggestions. I also only have one gravity user since the team is not entirely based around gravity and can function well without it. It's more of another tool I can use to help me win games.
  2. jtpavlock

jtpavlock

reserved for threat list
  3. King

King

This team looks REALLY GOOD. Please refer to the Smogon usages for some of your sets though.

For instance, You don't need gravity on landorus. Stoutland can and will take care of the mons that levitate, for instance genger/lati@s.

So instead of gravity, put u-turn on there for pivotal switching! You have trouble with celebi on your team (as Stoutland crunch is the only thing you can really beat it with).

I know I'm kinda defeating the purpose of your team, but the mons are really really good synergy wise and I feel you would benefit from using some better sets than gravity. Alright, thanks for reading!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)