1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Sandopolis Zone Act 3 (Sand OU)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by MashDaButtons, Mar 13, 2012.

1. MashDaButtons

MashDaButtons

Hello everyone. This is my first RMT (noob alert). I picked a sand team to start with because I heard they were relatively easy to make. Sand teams have obvious weaknesses, so I had to be ready for it.

At a Glance
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Team Building Process
    Show Hide
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I wanted a team with CB Terrakion, and Tyranitar's Sand Stream helps it, especially against Multiscale Dragonite.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Looking at my team so far, I can tell that Gliscor and fighting types destroy my team. Landorus takes care of this problem while getting a boost from sand.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I could see rain and Rotom-W would be a problem, so I ran a Rotom-W of my own. It also serves a check to rain teams. It also has synergy with Landorus.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I needed a rapid spin and entry hazards to support my volt-turn pokemon. Forretress was the obvious choice. It also gives a much needed dragon resistance.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Latios helps check sun teams while giving those dragon resistances. Also helpful against volt-turn.

In-Depth

[​IMG]
    The Boss (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Superpower

I know you all love Tyranitar. Tyranitar is my Stealth Rock user and special wall. This thing is one of my leads. Of course, it also has Sand Stream that helps 2HKOs become OHKOs. Not to mention it gets rid of other weather starters. Crunch hits psychic types, 2HKOing Trick Room Reuniclus w/o leftovers. Sand Stream also gives Terrakion a special defense boost. 50 percent added special defense makes many super effective hits neutral. Once my Stealth Rock is up, my volt-turn offense becomes much easier. Fire Blast is to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn on the switch. Superpower is for Terrakion, Heatran, and other Tyranitars switching in. Tyranitar also wears down Landorus's counters. But honestly, Tyranitar's here for the sand support.

[​IMG]
    It's Fine (Landorus) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Landorus is my revenge killer, and a good one at that. With decent bulk, it one of the best revenge killers in the game. Naive nature with 252 speed EVs make it out speed Moxie Salamence sets. Edgequake has amazing coverage as you all know. Only three pokemon worth using resist the combination. HP Ice takes care of Gliscor, and doesn't make it completely useless after Prankster Sableye burns it. U-turn is for that amazing Volt-Turn combo. Even extremely obvious U-turns are effective. Immunity to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Thunder Wave help it survive the constant switching of this set. I'm not stupid enough to switch Landorus into a Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. It's ice and water weaknesses are covered by Rotom-W. Terrakion and Tyranitar wear down it's counters, making sweeping easy.

[​IMG]
    Red Bull (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Sacred Sword

CB Terrakion is just scary. It defines "click shit to win." The only things standing in it's way are Slowbro, Infernape and Scarf Terrakion. Only Slowbro can really switch in safely. I usually lead with this if I see I'm facing a weather team. Terrakion destroys just about everything. The few pokemon that can survive it's attacks can't handle the incoming Landorus Close Combat and Stone Edge give enough coverage alone. Terrakion also is my only resistance to Stealth Rock. Sand lets Terrakion take care of Dragonite by breaking it's Multiscale. X-Scissor is for psychic types. Sacred Sword helps against Bulk Up sweepers. There's not much to say about this.

[​IMG]
    WashYoAss (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch
    - Trick

Rotom-W completes my Volt-Turn combo. Ice and water resistances work nicely with Landorus.Levitate makes it only vulnerable to Stealth Sock. Volt Switch really wears down teams with U-Turn, especially when I have my hazards up. It's also my check to rain teams. Hydro Pump does way too much damage in the rain. If I don't lead with Terrakion or Landorus, I'm probably leading with this. HP Fire is for steel types such as Scizor, and grass types like Breloom, Celebi, and Virizion. Trick cripples walls such as Blissey and Sableye when timed right. Tentacruel switching in expecting Trick get hit with Volt-Switch. Tyranitar gets rid of Latios and Latias to make things even easier.
    [​IMG]
    Gameboy (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball

My team really needs Rapid Spin and hazards if I'm going to rely on Volt-Turn. Nothing on my team resists Stealth Rock except Terrakion. My Terrakion benefits from Rapid Spin the most as it's vulnerable to all entry hazards. As my physical wall, I can usually set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes depending on the situation. It's bulk helps it use Rapid Spin multiple times. Toxic Spikes cripples walls because I hate Chansey. Gyro Ball is used so it isn't complete taunt bait. Relaxed nature and 0 speed IVs is for the slowest possible Gyro Ball The main reason I use this over Donphan is so I don't have another water weakness. Unfortunately, Ferrothorn is usually a death fodder.
    [​IMG]
    Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Psyshock

What more can you say about Latios? Latios is another weather check with it's amazing coverage. I get a boost from rain with Surf. HP Fire gets a sun boost. Expert Belt has helped me get important KOs on people that are convinced I'm choiced. Seeing Ferrothorn go for Protect on HP Fire and switching something into Tentacruel is hilarious. HP Fire hits Scizor switching in if it want to Pursuit me. Psyshock hits special walls such as Blissey and Tentacruel. I'd use Hydreigon if it didn't give ANOTHER fighting weakness.

Threat List
    May complete later, though I can say Sableye can be annoying if I don't play smart.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
  2. MashDaButtons

MashDaButtons

3. Lady Alex

Lady Alex This game sucks. Ban everything and it might not.

Hi. I think your team would benefit from using SD terrakion with rock gem over your current set. This allows you to capitalize on the damage that rotom and landorus build up together through forced switches. Rock gem allows you to 1hko gliscor who would otherwise stop your sweep.

I would also suggest using volt switch on forretress over toxic spikes. Your team is very offensively oriented, and you would benefit more greatly from being able to maintain your momentum with it.

Lastly, I think you would be better off using hidden power ice over hp fire on rotom. Your team doesn't struggle with ferrothorn at all, so having hp fire on rotom is a bit overkill. Hp ice gives you another answer to dragonite if it gets to +1 in case landorus is already down, because, otherwise, it goes to town on your team. (be sure to use 31 IVs so that you can speed tie with other scarf rotom)

Hope I helped! Good luck!
  4. MashDaButtons

MashDaButtons

I'll try those and update later
  5. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Hey

This definitely is a well-built sand offense team. I have got some key suggestions for your team which will make it even more effective. First of all, I think you should consider limiting the amount of choiced mons in the team. Terrakion should be the one holding Choice Scarf instead of Landorus because of its solid typing and coverage. It has the potential to outspeed many Chlorophyll and set-up sweepers such as Venasaur, Salamence, and Dragonite thanks to its blazing speed. Terrakion's rock-typing allows it to take minimum damage from boosted Extremespeeds against Dragonite and Lucario where Landorus goes down effortlessly with hazards up. Furthermore this monster also gives you insurance against Volcarona which is an other possible threat. Max attack and speed are ideal to capitalize Terrakion's attacking prowess and allows it to safely revenge many threats with its dual stabs. With that said, Rotom-W should now equip Choice Specs to make up the loss of power. Chesto Rest variant is another possibility which has the element of surprise and keeps momentum up but overall in my opinion Choice Specs would be more suited for this role. Landorus would really appreciate a set with four attacking moves and Expert Belt. This adjustment makes it a very threatening stall-breaker and your potent weapon against stall. A spread with 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd with a Naive nature and Expert Belt maximizes Landorus's sheer power. Earthquake and Stone Edge together provide infamous EdgeQuake combination which hurts anything that does not resist it. Hidden Power Ice decimates the likes of Gliscor and dragons like Dragonite and Salamence. Smack Down is an excellent alternative over Stone Edge if you find both Bronzong and Skarmory annoying to face. U-turn access allows Landorus to keep up the pressure on opposing teams, providing momentum for the team alongside Specs Rotom-W. After these minor adjustments your team starts to head in a successful path.

Choice Specs Rotom-W (open)
    [​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Choice Specs | Levitate
    Timid | 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Trick
    Choice Scarf Terrakion (open)
    [​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf | Justified
    Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Slide

For some minor changes try Chople Berry on Tyranitar, it allows you to take on both calm mind and trick room variants of Reuniclus better. Without it Reuniclus essentially has a 50% chance to OHKO Tyranitar with Focus Blast. Psychic and Shadow Ball are more than enough to decimate 4 other mons while trick room is still in play. Life Orb Tornados also performs a similar job and could be pretty nerve-wracking to encounter. Lastly on Forretress Volt Switch is a superior option compared to Toxic Spikes. Volt Switch allows Forretress to escape trappers and gain momentum for the team which is really beneficial. Overall brilliant team dude, Good Luck!
  6. BKC

BKC
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

you don't need two scarfers. try using expert belt landorus instead. it bluffs choice and surprise kills terrakion's most common counter, gliscor. if you use smack down as your rock move of choice, you can get rid of skarmory/rotom-w/bronzong's ground immunity on the switch and then smash them with earthquake.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)