Sandslash [QC: 3/3] [GP: 0/2]

[QC: Soulgazer / TheCanadianWifier / Montsegur ]
[GP: ]

Overview
########

Sandslash is one of the best dedicated spinners in the NU tier, having outstanding physical bulk, a decent movepool, a great offensive typing, and a high Attack stat. Additionally, it has access to Stealth Rock, which very few other Rapid Spin users have access to. It can boost its Attack with Swords Dance and most of all, it has a brilliant useful resistance to Stealth Rock.

However, its weaknesses to common Water-, Ice- and Grass- type attacks are really hindering for Sandslash. It also has a low Special Defense stat, so it cannot take a decent special hit. Finally, Sandslash's Speed is very low. Because of these flaws, any fast and powerful special attacker can take care of Sandslash.

Offensive Rapid Spin
########
name: Offensive Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Swords Dance / Stealth Rock
ability: Sand Rush
item: Lum Berry
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is Sandslash's main move, allowing it to remove hazards. Knock Off is a great move on a dedicated Rapid Spin user such as Sandslash, as it gives Sandslash some offensive presence and allows it to hit Ghost-types, which are immune to Rapid Spin; it also cripples every Pokemon in the tier which is reliant on its item. Earthquake is the most powerful STAB move Sandslash has. The combination of Earthquake and Knock Off can also KO certain spinblockers, such as Golurk. Swords Dance can used to turn many 2HKOs into OHKOs, powering up Earthquake and Knock Off. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can be used over Swords Dance to support Sandslash's team.

Set Details
========

Lum Berry is used to deal with spinblockers like Gourgeist that carry Will-O-Wisp, which cripples Sandslash. 84 Speed EVs allow Sandslash to outspeed everything up to uninvested Garbodor, including Seismitoad, and Sceptile under sand support. Maximum Attack investment with an Adamant boosting nature for maximum power and damage, it also allows Sandslash to have a guaranteed chance to 2HKO Kangaskhan at +0, and OHKO at +2.The rest of the EVs are put into HP for as much bulk as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Earthquake combined with Knock Off 2HKOes most of the spinblockers in the tier. Swords Dance can turn 2HKOs into OHKOs, most importantly on Gourgeist after Stealth Rock damage, so use it carefully. It is best used on a predicted switch. Finally, if Stealth Rock is used, using it as early as possible is the best thing to do, as it pressures Rapid Spin and Defog users on the opposing team, while also getting chip damage on the opposing Pokemons.

Team Options
========

Any Pokemon that appreciates Rapid Spin support, such as Archeops, Magmortar, Chatot, and Focus Sash users, loves Sandslash. Sandslash has the most success on balanced and bulky offensive teams. Any team that is weak to types Sandslash resists, such as Rock and Poison, welcomes Sandslash. Any team that lacks a Rapid Spin user and a reliable Stealth Rock user appreciates what Sandslash brings to the table. Sandslash really appreciates Pokemons that resist the common Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type attacks it is weak to as Sandslash would like to switch out safely. Finally, Spikes-stacking teams also appreciate what Sandslash brings to the table, as it uses Rapid Spin instead of Defog, which is counterproductive to such teams.

Defensive Rapid Spin
########
name: Defensive Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Stealth Rock / Toxic
ability: Sand Rush
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 20 Spe
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards so that Sandslash can support its other teammates. Earthquake deals a significant amount of damage to anything that doesn't resist it and 2HKOs almost every Pokemon weak to it. Knock Off is important as it cripples opposing Pokemon by removing their item. It also hits bulky Ghost- types pretty hard, even without any investment in Attack. With its bulk, Sandslash can easily set up Stealth Rock, allowing it to support other team members and get off chip damage on every opposing Pokemon that switches in. Alternatively, Toxic can also be used to cripple bulky Pokemons such as Gourgeist.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is used to give Sandslash some llongevity Alternatively, Rocky Helmet can be used to punish physical threats such as Kangaskhan and Archeops, which Sandslash walls effectively. Maximum HP investment is used for the maximum possible bulk. 20 Speed EVs allow Sandslash to outspeed everything up to uninvested Lanturn. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense to allow Sandslash to take on physical threats much better,
reducing the chances of Sandslash being OHKOed.

Usage Tips
========

Sandslash's resistance to Stealth Rock makes it very easy for it to switch in to Rapid Spin, especially on physically attacking Pokemon. Rapid Spin is best used as soon as you see an opportunity. If using Stealth Rock, make sure to set it up as early as possible, to get as much chip damage as possible. If using Toxic, it we best to preserve Sandslash to Toxic bulky Pokemons that could otherwise defeat Sandslash's teammates.

Team Options
========

Sandslash works best with Pokemon that need entry hazards removed in order to function. Stealth Rock weak Pokemon such as Archeops, Typhlosion, and Magmortar work very well with Sandslash. Sandslash works best on balanced and bulky offensive teams, as Kabutops is often the better choice for heavy offensive teams. Sandslash appreciates Pokemon that resist its common weaknesses in Water-, Grass-, and Ice-type attacks. So Fire- and Water-types such as Pyroar and Ludicolo work well with Sandslash. Finally, balanced Spikes-stacking teams work great with Sandslash, as it uses Rapid Spin instead of Defog, which is counterproductive on Spikes-stacking teams.

Other Options
########

Life Orb Sandslash is one of the best Pokemon to have on a sand team and can function as a cleaner, but the Rapid Spin sets are more general and consistent. Counter can be used as it has the potential to OHKO any physically attacking Pokemon trying to eliminate Sandslash. Super Fang can be used as it can be really helpful in weakening opposing Pokemons, but it's very inconsistent. Finally, Rest can be used to heal Sandslash fully, but Sandslash must drop either Earthquake or Knock Off for Sleep Talk, or it will have only one effective use if given a Chesto Berry as an item, having to instead drop its Leftovers.

Checks & Counters
########

**Grass-types**: Grass-types are downright counters to Sandslash, Pokemons like Vileplume, Sceptile, Lilligant, and Leafeon can all wall Sandslash and either 2HKO or OHKO it. Whereas Sandslash can do almost nothing back to them.

**Bulky Defog Users**: Though most Defog users are weak to Stealth Rock, Togetic and Vullaby are the best answers to Sandslash in this category. They are immune to Earthquake, resist Knock off, and can Defog away Stealth Rock, though they do not appreciate losing their Eviolites. They can also typically 2HKO or 3HKO Sandslash based on their EV spreads, Togetic can also set up with Nasty Plot and Baton Pass into another Pokemon. Additionally, Mantine, Pelipper, and Swanna are all Defog users who can OHKO Sandslash.

**Water-types**: Water-types such as Seismitoad, Feraligatr, Samurott, and Ludicolo can all usually outspeed Sandslash and either 2HKO or OHKO Sandslash. Sandslash on the other hand, can not OHKO.

**Ice-types**: Offensive Cryogonal, Rotom-F, Regice, and Aurorus can usually barely take an Earthquake or Knock Off, but they can OHKO back and are usually faster than Sandslash. So they are shaky counters, but reliable checks.

**Powerful Special Attackers**: Powerful special attackers such as Choice Specs Typhlosion and Life Orb Chatot can OHKO Sandslash with no problem; however, most of them can't take an Earthquake or Knock Off. Rendering them only as checks.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I recall Soft Sand / Earth Plate being used to cleanly OHKO Tomb with +2 Earthquake, and cleanly 2HKO with +0 EQ (without SR). It even has a 1/8 chance to OHKO physically defensive Tomb with +2 EQ after SR and Leftovers. However, it does not beat Gourgeist, so Lum should still be primary slash.

Last edited:
I recall Soft Sand / Earth Plate being used to cleanly OHKO Tomb with +2 Earthquake, and cleanly 2HKO with +0 EQ (without SR). It even has a 1/8 chance to OHKO physically defensive Tomb with +2 EQ after SR and Leftovers. However, it does not beat Gourgeist, so Lum should still be primary slash.
I'll mention in it in Set Details or at least OO when I write this.

For the defensive Rapid Spin, does QC think a set that emphasizes more on Def and less on SpD is better?

Keeping at 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD only has a 6.3% chance to get OHKOd by Cry's ice beam (probably irrelevant since Cry only carries Ice Beam when it carries LO/NMI), has a 6.3% chance to get OHKO-d by Pyroar's Fire Blast (specs), and 3% chance for Haunter's Shadow Ball to 2HKO (if using Rocky Helmet)

Any better suggestions or is it fine?

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
no reason to have 40 def on the first set if you're just trying to hit a jump point with attack. make it 252 hp 252 atk

the defensive set appreciates max def a lot more as well so it can take hits from things like kangaskhan and gurdurr better. 110 is not extremely high so youll probably need max def

i would also deslash rocky helmet since sandslash doesnt resist many contact moves and it needs leftovers to take the pressure of setting sr and spinning

no reason to have 40 def on the first set if you're just trying to hit a jump point with attack. make it 252 hp 252 atk

the defensive set appreciates max def a lot more as well so it can take hits from things like kangaskhan and gurdurr better. 110 is not extremely high so youll probably need max def

i would also deslash rocky helmet since sandslash doesnt resist many contact moves and it needs leftovers to take the pressure of setting sr and spinning
After further experimenting with Sandslash I found that there is little to no reason to run more than 220 Atk, which is just enough to 2HKO Kangaskhan. 24 Def EVs are at least needed to avoid the 2HKO from Kangaskhan w/ Leftovers. Using 36 Def lowers many pokemons' chance to 2HKO, such as Bouffalant, Rhydon, Archeops, Fraxure, Stoutland, and even things like Zweilous.

So I'm making the set 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Def if that's alright.

Done, is it fine if I put last 4 in spe to outspeed base 65s or is that speed creeping?

I chose Rocky Helmet because it can turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs, such as Kangakshan, it also brings Archeops to Defeatist after Knock Off. I'll deslash it though, bring it to Set Details.

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
it doesn't matter what you can ko or not. it's an offensive set so theres no reason to run random defense unless it actually helps you survive a relevant attack

it doesn't matter what you can ko or not. it's an offensive set so theres no reason to run random defense unless it actually helps you survive a relevant attack
Alright, is surviving Kangaskhan's Silk Scarf Return relevant? It only takes 24 Def EV's. For now I'm making it 252 HP / 252 Atk

Oh and you didn't answer me, is 4 EV's in speed fine (to outspeed uninvested base 65) or does that count as speed creeping?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
On the offensive set I'd take off Leftovers cause Lum is almost always gonna be better, and put on Soft Sand. It guarantees you the OHKO on 252 HP spiritomb, who can otherwise beat you with some 50/50 rolls. It basically makes you nigh-impossible to block spin against, and I believe it deserves a slash more than Leftovers for that reason.

On the offensive set I'd take off Leftovers cause Lum is almost always gonna be better, and put on Soft Sand. It guarantees you the OHKO on 252 HP spiritomb, who can otherwise beat you with some 50/50 rolls. It basically makes you nigh-impossible to block spin against, and I believe it deserves a slash more than Leftovers for that reason.
Implemented

Punchshroom

- Alternatively, Soft Sand can be used instead of Lum berry as it gives Sandslash a considerable amount of power and let it nail many 2HKOs and OHKOs.
You really need to mention Spiritomb here; it is really the only reason Soft Sand is being considered (you can mention other significant Pokes it can now 2HKO/OHKO with Soft Sand). Soft Sand lets Sandslash cleanly OHKO 252 HP Tomb with +2 Earthquake, and also cleanly 2HKO with +0 EQ (without SR), the latter of which allows Sandslash to only eat one unboosted Foul Play. It even has a 1/8 chance to OHKO physically defensive Tomb with +2 EQ after SR and Leftovers. The cost would be that it becomes susceptible to other Ghosts with Will-O-Wisp, which thankfully aren't as common as Tomb.

You really need to mention Spiritomb here; it is really the only reason Soft Sand is being considered (you can mention other significant Pokes it can now 2HKO/OHKO with Soft Sand). Soft Sand lets Sandslash cleanly OHKO 252 HP Tomb with +2 Earthquake, and also cleanly 2HKO with +0 EQ (without SR), the latter of which allows Sandslash to only eat one unboosted Foul Play. It even has a 1/8 chance to OHKO physically defensive Tomb with +2 EQ after SR and Leftovers. The cost would be that it becomes susceptible to other Ghosts with Will-O-Wisp, which thankfully aren't as common as Tomb.
Done

Punchshroom

Your Offensive Spin Sandslash should be 232 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe; you did not specify what kind of hits 252 HP Slash takes that 232 HP Slash does not, and more importantly your Sandslash is not max Attack, which leads to this...
- Earthquake is mandatory STAB, the most powerful Sandslash has, and just like Knock Off it brings this set some offensive presence. Earthquake is really helpful as it 2HKOs Spiritomb (87.5% chance to 2HKO leftovers variants), the most common spinblocker, after rocks, or OHKOs afters rocks and a Swords Dance boost. The combination of Earthquake and Knock Off also nail some spinblockers, such as Golurk.
If Sandslash has max Attack EVs, Earthquake 2HKOes all of the time after Rocks.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Professional2341

The first set's spread should be 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe as it let Sandslash outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad, which you can Rapid Spin if needed or even OHKO it with a Swords Dance boost if it was weakened.

in checks & counters, mention more Defog users: Pelipper can deal with it easily. Mantine too, but won't enjoy a Knock Off as well as Pelipper, Vullaby has Toxic and Foul Play to deal with it too. Swanna won't enjoy taking a Knock Off either, but it can do a ton with Scald.

do this and qc 1/3

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Other Options
########

- A Life Orb Sandslash with sand support can function as cleaner, but rather hard to pull and is outclassed by Stoutland.
I really don't it's outclassed by stoutland, it actually compliments it very nicely on sand teams. Sand only has two main sweeping options, so if you're running sand, you're running offensive slash. They also break through eachothers checks, and one can generally weaken the opposing team for the other to late-game sweep.

Also, the SD Sand sweeping set is super similar to the first set listed, [just with speed over HP], so maybe just mention that it can be used on sand teams in set details?

Looks good otherwise,
[QC 2/3]

Your Offensive Spin Sandslash should be 232 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe; you did not specify what kind of hits 252 HP Slash takes that 232 HP Slash does not, and more importantly your Sandslash is not max Attack, which leads to this...

If Sandslash has max Attack EVs, Earthquake 2HKOes all of the time after Rocks.
Fixed

Professional2341

The first set's spread should be 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe as it let Sandslash outspeed 0 Speed Seismitoad, which you can Rapid Spin if needed or even OHKO it with a Swords Dance boost if it was weakened.

in checks & counters, mention more Defog users: Pelipper can deal with it easily. Mantine too, but won't enjoy a Knock Off as well as Pelipper, Vullaby has Toxic and Foul Play to deal with it too. Swanna won't enjoy taking a Knock Off either, but it can do a ton with Scald.

do this and qc 1/3
Done

I really don't it's outclassed by stoutland, it actually compliments it very nicely on sand teams. Sand only has two main sweeping options, so if you're running sand, you're running offensive slash. They also break through eachothers checks, and one can generally weaken the opposing team for the other to late-game sweep.

Also, the SD Sand sweeping set is super similar to the first set listed, [just with speed over HP], so maybe just mention that it can be used on sand teams in set details?

Looks good otherwise,
[QC 2/3]
Elaborated more and mentioned how good it is under sand, but is less consistent than the other too. Kept it at OO

thanks all of you :]

Need to write this up soon/

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Make sure in the future you dont write up until you have your third check.

-Makes sure when talking about Lum Berry that it lets Sandslash beat spin blocker like Spiritomb as this is quite important +2 252 Atk Sandslash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 186-220 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-In team options on both sets, mention a couple of spike stackers as thats part of the reason when considering using a spinner over a defogger

Other than that looks good
[QC 3/3]

Last edited:
Make sure in the future you dont write up until you have your third check.

-Makes sure when talking about Lum Berry that it lets Sandslash beat spin blocker like Spiritomb as this is quite important +2 252 Atk Sandslash Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 186-220 (61.1 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-In team options on both sets, mention a couple of spike stackers as thats part of the reason when considering using a spinner over a defogger

Other than that looks good
[QC 3/3]
I always thought you write up after 2
welp thnx I didn't write up too much doe

Anyways implemented what you said.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In other tiers its a write up after 2 but NU is doing it after 3, I personally find it easier to see all the info when it is in bullet points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)