Sandslash (update)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Making an update for Sandslash because the current analysis is old.

Changes
-Axed CB set, and added a single one "Sandstorm abuser
-updated SD + Rapid spin (it really wasn't that bad)
-Re-added Support set
-Back for more (loads of mistakes >_>)
-GP Checks 2/2
-Scanning analysis for mistakes

[Overview]

<p>Sandslash has a tough time competing for a team slot with Donphan, who boasts superior stats in everything but Speed. However, Sandslash does have a few advantages over his tusked counterpart, namely access to Swords Dance and a rare ability, Sand Veil. Sandslash's unique access to both Rapid Spin and Swords Dance (a combination only shared by Kabutops in UU) allows him to support the team and sweep when given the opportunity. Sandslash is quite effective on sandstorm-based teams, because Sand Veil boosts Sandslash's evasion by 20%, potentially allowing Sandslash to avoid an attack that would normally KO him. Sandslash may be burdened with low Speed and Special Defense, and he may even face serious competition with Donphan, but he is still a solid choice if you want a reliable defensive Ground-type Pokemon or a powerful offensive sandstorm sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance + Rapid Spin
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Night Slash / Stone Edge
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
ability: Sand Veil
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sandslash's unique access to both Swords Dance and Rapid Spin helps him differentiate himself from Donphan as a bulky Ground-type Rapid Spinner. Sandslash is typically used as a physical wall and spinner, acting similarly to Donphan but having the ability to go on the offensive at any given time. Swords Dance boosts Sandslash's already decent Attack stat to powerful levels, making him capable of doing some serious damage to even the bulkiest of walls. Rapid Spin allows Sandslash to remove entry hazards on his side of the field, which greatly aids his team. Earthquake is his primary STAB move and deals solid damage after a Swords Dance boost, even without an Attack-boosting item; Earthquake cleanly OHKOes standard Registeel and, with a little residual damage, OHKOes Steelix and defensively oriented Rhyperior as well. Night Slash is useful for dealing with Ghost-type Pokemon who attempt to block Sandslash's Rapid Spin. After a Swords Dance, even the bulkiest Rotom sets are OHKOed by +2 Night Slash. Stone Edge, on the other hand, is useful for taking out Flying-type Pokemon who attempt to switch into Earthquake.</p>

[ADDITONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Leftovers is the item of choice since it gives Sandslash significantly more staying power, but Lum Berry is useful for avoiding status momentarily and allows Sandslash to consistently beat bulky Ghost-types who attempt to cripple him with Will-O-Wisp. An alternative EV Spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def with an Impish nature may be used for a weaker but bulkier Sandslash. By doing so, Sandslash may gain more chances of setting up Swords Dance, which could either help negate the power lost or make Sandslash even stronger than before.</p>

<p>Sandslash is easily countered by bulky Water-types like Milotic and Slowbro, as they can easily take a boosted Earthquake and OHKO Sandslash in return with their STAB Water-type moves. A bulky Grass-type is an effective partner for dealing with the aforementioned threats, so pairing Sandslash with Venusaur or Torterra is recommended. Strong special attackers like Moltres have an easy time switching into Sandslash on a Swords Dance, Earthquake, or Rapid Spin and obliterating him with powerful STAB attacks. Chansey can help safeguard against special attackers with her incredible special bulk while also paralyzing them with Thunder Wave. Grass-types can deal with Sandslash without much trouble as they resist Earthquake, allowing them to freely set up on him. Torterra and Leafeon can either destroy Sandslash with their STAB moves of choice or set up with Rock Polish or Swords Dance, respectively. Weezing can also switch in with ease and threaten Sandslash with Will-O-Wisp. Moltres himself is a fine partner to Sandslash, as it can switch into most Grass-types and Weezing easily, and roast them with STAB Fire Blast, while Sandslash can return the favor by removing Stealth Rock from the field with Rapid Spin.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Swords Dance
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Substitute
item: BrightPowder / Leftovers
evs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Despite facing serious competition from other Ground-type Sword Dancers, Sandslash is able to set himself apart due to Sand Veil. The evasion boost from Sand Veil is highly important to his success, as it gives him the ability to beat his counters by potentially avoiding attacks that would otherwise be fatal. Swords Dance increases Sandslash's Attack to an impressive 656, which allows him to 2HKO all of his counters and become a significant threat to the opposing team. Earthquake is the bread and butter STAB attack of choice that deals amazing damage to any Pokemon not resistant or immune to it. Stone Edge is an excellent coverage move when paired alongside Earthquake, as it gives Sandslash a way to deal with troublesome Flying-types and Levitating Pokemon. Substitute is highly important to this set's success, as it lets Sandslash scout for his counters and gives him an opportunity to dodge an incoming attack without risking his own life if he fails. If Sandslash succeeds in dodging his counter's attack, then he can freely set up a Swords Dance.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>BrightPowder is the main item on this set, as it goes hand in hand with Sand Veil. The combined evasion boosts give Sandslash a 28% chance to dodge incoming attacks, and that's just against those with otherwise perfect accuracy. The evasion boost is compounded even further versus attacks with less than perfect accuracy, such as Power Whip and Will-O-Wisp. Leftovers can be used if you want a bulkier Sandslash, and it's useful for healing HP lost from Substitute. The EVs are pretty straightforward: 252 Atk EVs and an Adamant nature are used for maximum power, 212 Speed EVs are used to outspeed nearly all defensive variants of Milotic, and the rest is dumped into HP for more bulk.</p>

<p>This set absolutely requires Hippopotas support to provide permanent sandstorm in order to function. Despite the rather large evasion boost, keep in mind that bulky Water- and Grass-types are still effective counters to Sandslash 72% of time. Weezing is also a pain for Sandslash to deal with if he is carrying Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Should a counter switch into Sandslash while he is behind a Substitute, Sandslash can opt to Substitute again to increase the odds of the opposing Pokemon eventually missing. Conventional Weezing counters like Houndoom and Moltres are not as effective with this set, as sandstorm adds unwanted residual damage and limits their effectiveness. Cradily is an excellent partner to Sandslash, as it receives a sizable Special Defense boost in sandstorm and is capable of beating both bulky Water- and Grass types. As a bonus, Cradily is capable of taking on Moltres, who otherwise threatens to OHKO Sandslash.</p>

<p>Excessive use of Substitute will quickly wear out Sandslash, so pairing Sandslash with a Wish user is recommended in order to replenish lost HP. Clefable, Chansey, and Leafeon are all recommended due to their ability to deal with some of Sandslash's counters. Clefable stands out as the only Pokemon of the aforementioned three whom is immune to sandstorm, and she is also capable of dealing with most of the above threats with ease.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 4: Night Slash
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENT]

<p>Sandslash can put his good defenses to use by serving as a solid Ground-type support Pokemon. Not only is Sandslash capable of removing entry hazards, but his above-average physical bulk allows him to check prominent physical sweepers such as Rhyperior, Swords Dance Toxicroak, and Hitmonlee. Stealth Rock provides immediate support for the team, aiding your team's sweepers with much appreciated residual damage. Rapid Spin helps Sandslash's teammates preserve their health by clearing away entry hazards. Earthquake is his main STAB attack and is at least strong enough to noticeably hurt frail Pokemon. Access to Night Slash makes it somewhat difficult for Ghost-types to block Sandslash's Rapid Spin, as Night Slash hits Rotom and Mismagius hard even with no EV investment in Attack.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You can replace Night Slash with Stone Edge so that Sandslash can better deal with powerful Flying-types who would otherwise easily switch into him. Unfortunately, replacing Night Slash removes one of Sandslash's niche advantages over Donphan: the advantage of being able to reliably hit Levitating Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage. An alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 204 Def / 32 SpD / 20 Spe can be used in order for Sandslash to outrun any Lanturn who does not invest in Speed, survive a Surf, and 2HKO back with Earthquake.</p>

<p>Sandslash pairs up well with bulky Water- and Grass-types like Milotic and Venusaur, as they can take incoming Water- and Ice-type attacks and Grass-type attacks respectively. Moltres is also a good partner, as it appreciates the removal of Stealth Rock and threatens Grass-types with its STAB moves. Wish support is also helpful for this Sandslash, as without a reliable way to restore his HP, he will be worn out quickly. Leafeon, Clefable, and Chansey are great examples of Wish users who have decent synergy with Sandslash. Although he shares an Ice weakness, Leafeon has the advantage of attacking Water-types for super effective damage. Clefable and Chansey have Thunder Wave to slow down faster threats for Sandslash to outspeed. </p>

[Team Options]

<p>Offensively, like any other sweeper, Sandslash appreciates entry hazards to help his sweeping effort. Stealth Rock users like Mesprit and Uxie do a fine job, as well as Spike users such as Qwilfish and Omastar. Qwilfish also has the distinction of being able to setup on Milotic. Support Sandslash is capable of using Stone Edge or Night Slash if Stealth Rock is being setup by another Pokemon. Hippopotas is a highly recommended teammate since it not only sets up sandstorm, but it is also capable of setting up Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>Defensively, Sandlash appreciates Pokemon who can switch into super effective special attacks that prey on his weaker Special Defense. Specially defensive Pokemon like Chansey and Clefable are fine partners. Both of them are capable of switching into most of the bulky Water-types of UU and hitting them with Toxic, which severely limits their ability to counter Sandslash. If sandstorm is in play, Cradily is a superb partner to Sandslash. The massive Special Defense boost provided by sandstorm allows it take on some of Sandslash's strongest checks and counters. Bulky Water-types like Milotic and Slowbro are beaten, and even specially offensive juggernauts like Venusaur, Houndoom, and Moltres will lose to Cradily. A bulky Grass- and Water-type combination alongside Sandslash is recommended. Milotic and Venusaur are ideal choices as they can easily come in on Sandslash's counters and threaten them out with their STAB attacks.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Moveset-wise, there isn't much else that Sandslash can do without being outclassed by other Pokemon. He can run a Choice Band set, but he is entirely outclassed by Donphan in that respect, as Donphan boasts more power. Toxic is an option on the defensive set if you want Sandslash to cripple bulky switch-ins. X-Scissor is an option on the offensive sets, as it does decent damage to Grass-types. Finally, Safeguard is an option if your team really hates status afflictions.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Bulky Grass-types in general are capable of switching into Sandslash with ease and threatening him with their STAB attacks. Tangrowth only takes 30.4% - 35.9% damage from +2 Stone Edge and KOes back with STAB Power Whip or Leaf Storm. Leafeon and Torterra can easily switch into Sandslash and set up in his face. Bulky Water-types are also great counters to Sandslash, as they can usually shrug off his attacks and threaten him with STAB Surf. Milotic and Slowbro do not mind boosted Earthquakes and are capable of OHKOing Sandslash with Surf. Moltres is able to comfortably switch into most of Sandslash's attacks and destroy him with STAB Fire Blast. Weezing is an effective counter, as it can switch into any of Sandslash's moves and cripple him with a burn. However, Weezing needs to watch out for Sandslash who carry Substitute as he will actually beat Weezing one-on-one unless he carries Flamethrower. Typically, strong special attackers carrying a Grass-, Ice-, or Water-type move can usually dispose of Sandslash without too much difficulty.</p>

Yup Donphan screwed old Sandslash over, but I like the Sandstorm abuse SD set. Even though I hate Sandstorm teams I'm gonna give it a try. <___<

And I really think SD + Rapid Spin should stay. I used it quite effectively a bit ago. It has no trouble with any of the Ghost-types and can guarantee that spin which means it can pair well excellently with shit like Moltres and Scyther. Kinda like a slower yet bulkier Kabutops.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why the hell would you remove the Rapid Spin set? That's the only reason to ever use Sandslash in the first place. Nevermind Donphan, Sandslash can still do it fairly well and if you're opting to use it at all, you should already be aware that a better version exists to begin with.

You guys are getting too axe-crazy with these set removals. Stop thinking "outclassed" and start thinking pragmatically. "If I wanted to use Sandslash, what would it actually be able to do?"

That's where Rapid Spin becomes top priority. Just look at it stats, nothing about it even suggests sweeper. It has low Speed, low Sp. Def, modest Attack, but great defense. Supporter, anyone? Plus, you don't even need Hippopotas to ensure it does something useful on your team. I'd rather use that Sandslash set over anything else.

^ The above paragraph resembles the mindset of the many competitive players that will be viewing Sandslash's page. Keep in mind what the Pokemon does and does well above all else.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SD + Rapid Spin is fine, IMO, since it can get past your bog average Spin-blocker through SD + Night Slash (WoW would mean Night Slash is hitting like normal, which would actually hurt quite a bit.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
-EV Spread gives it enough speed to outspeed most varients of Milotic. (specifically those attempting to outspeed Jolly Torterra)*
Jolly Torterra 252 Spe - 232 Speed
Adamant Sandslash 194 Spe - 214 Speed

I think you meant Adamant Torterra (212 Speed).

My personal suggestion would be run 212 Spe EVs to hit 219 Speed and get the jump on Jolly Aggron as well, stop Magnet Rise variants from setting up on you.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Okay, I guess I am being a tad axe-crazy, but I didn't really have much success with SD + Rapid spin. I wouldn't say it was outright *useless* Night Slashing Rotom and Ghosts is pretty decent I guess.

As for removing the support set and CB set, I would never, ever, EVER consider using them over Donphan. There's slightly overshadow, and then there's plain old outclassed.

Thanks for the correction LR.

Edit: Alright, SD + Rapid Sandslash is up, it really wasn't that bad. (I guess I went a bit crazy on removing the sets)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I have tried SD + Rapid Spin before and it was decent. I would probably slash it in the last slot after Substitute. When using Rapid Spin with SD I would much rather run Lum Berry (this should only be mentioned in Set Comments to prevent too many slashes). It allows you to take Rotom's Will-o-Wisp while killing it off with Night Slash. +2 Lum Earthquake still OHKOes max HP Spiritomb with Earthquake after SR (92.1% - 108.6%). The set would be Swords Dance / Earthquake / Night Slash / Rapid Spin.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought we already decided that if a Pokemon does a set reasonably well it should be in the analysis even though it's outclassed by another mon got damn.

I mean cutting a Pokemon's analysis to one set is pretty ott when it can do other things.

I'd say make that the number one set. Keep the support set. And I'll test SD+Rapid Spin to see if it actually does suck. (CB doesn't look solid at all so no point really to test that)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if that Sandslash's first set should be an offensive one. We can agree that Donphan is a better supporter, but putting SD and Night Slash into the mix ensures we don't have a problem taking on Mismagius or Rotom. I've used it primarily on Sunny Day teams where I couldn't afford allowing either of those Pokemon to set up on my helpless spinner, or cutting down on the offense.

I say Sandslash's job should first and foremost be as a spinner and possibly SR supporter. No offense PK, but the set is about as easy to use as a Donphan set, even moreso with Night Slash, so I don't see how you could possibly have an issue with it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
I guess I was afraid it would be rejected. I'll switch the sets.
As for the defensive set, should I really write one? You're probably better off using Donphan but It's not *useless.*

Thanks for the input guys.

-One of the two pokemon in UU who are capable of using Swords Dance and abusing Sand Veil.
(The other being Cacturne)
That's not true, there still is Gliglar. Who can actually do it better with his higher speed.
I tried the SD / Spin set and it actually does great. ^^

PK Gaming

Persona 5
And I finally got this done haha.

The support set and Team options are a tad weak, but I had writers block. Hopefully I'll try and see if I can beef them up.

I see a number of problems with this update. First, it's <p> and </p>, not <b> and </b>. Second, rename "Teammates" as "Team Options", and add an "Optional Changes" section. Third, read this update again to check for errors, as I found 3-4 errors in the Overview alone. Some of the things that you need to look out for: missing letters and words, spaces on both sides of the slashes in the sets, wrong use of "it's" and "its", improper grammar, and capitalization errors. Once you do that, I'm sure that GP Checkers will be ready to look over this.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
For a awaited analysis it's full of mistakes. The <b> mistakes were silly... I did in such a rush perhaps I didn't notice them.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK, couple of things. Flashrider got most of them, but I spotted a few just barely skimming the analysis:

You need an Optional Changes section...

The spacing on your EVs need fixin' (and evs is not capitalized under the [SET] section, however EVs is capatalized in the set comments).

evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

evs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe

You missed one of the <b/>'s in the first paragraph in the Counters section.

And then there's this sentence in the Counters section as well:

Weezing need to out for Sandslash’ carrying Substitute, who will actually beat Weezing 1 on 1 unless he carries Flamethrower.

I think you meant "needs to watch out for" and then I really don't understand the apostrophe at the end of Sandslash there... It doesn't need it. And I was always taught to spell out any number under 10, so "1 on 1" should really be "one on one". That is really up to the GPers though.

I'll take a look at it to identify some errors that you missed. Keep in mind that my check isn't a GP Check.

EDIT: Like I promised, here's my edits. I'm a little rushed right now, so I might have missed some stuff. Red is for removals, and blue is for additions.
[Overview]
<p>Sandslash has a tough time competing for a team slot with Donphan, who boasts superior stats in everything but Speed. However, Sandslash has a few advantages over his tusked counterpart, namely access to Swords Dance and Sand Veil. Sandslash's unique access to Rapid Spin and Swords Dance (only shared with Kabutops in UU) allow him support the team and sweep when given the opportunity. Sandslash is quite effective in a sandstorm Sandstorm team, because the evasion boost from Sand Veil allows Sandslash to avoid an attack that could potentially KO it. Sandslash may be burdened with low Speed and Special Defense(insert comma here) and it may face serious competition with Donphan, but it is a solid choice if you want a reliable defensive Ground(insert hyphen here)type Pokemon or a powerful offensive Sandstorm sweeper.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance + Rapid Spin
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Night Slash / Stone Edge
move 4: Rapid Spin
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
evs: 252 HP /252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Sandslash’s unique access to both Swords Dance and Rapid Spin helps it differentiate itself from Donphan as a bulky Ground(insert hyphen here)typed rapid spinner Rapid Spinner. Sandslash is typical typically used as a physical wall and spinner, similarly to Donphan but with the ability to on the offense at any given time. Swords Dance boosts Sandslash’s already decent attackAttack stat to powerful levels, capable of damaging the bulkiest of walls. Earthquake is Sandslash’s primary STAB move and is capable of dealing sufficient damage after a Swords Dance boost even without an Attack(insert hyphen here)boosting item. Standard Registeel is OHKOed by 2+ +2 Earthquake while defensive Rhyperior and Steelix are nearly OHKOed. Night Slash is useful for dealing with Ghost(insert hyphen here)type pokemon Pokemon who attempt to spin Block youblock your Rapid Spin. After a Swords Dance, even the bulkiest of Rotom’s Rotoms are OHKOed by +2 Night Slash. Stone Edge on the other hand, is useful taking out Flying(insert hyphen here)type Pokemon who attempt to switch into a potential Earthquake. Rapid Spin allows you to remove entry hazards on your side of the field(insert comma here)which will greatly aid aiding your team.</p>

[ADDITONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item of choice is Leftovers, which gives Sandslash significantly more staying power, but Lum Berry is useful for avoiding status momentarily and it allows Sandslash to always beat bulky ghost types Ghost-types who attempt to cripple him with Will-o-Wisp. The EV’s for this set are pretty straightforward. Max HP for enhanced durability and Max Attack for more power. An alternative EV Spread of 252 HP / 252 Def with an Impish may be used for a weaker but bulkier Sandslash.</p>

<p>Sandslash is easily countered by bulky waters and he desperately struggles to get by them. Milotic and Slowbro are excellent counters to Sandslash, as they can easily take 2+ Earthquake OHKO him in return with their STABs moves. A bulky Grass(insert hyphen here)type is an effective partner for dealing with aforementioned threats(insert comma here) so pairing Sandslash up with a Venusaur or Torterra is recommended. Strong Flying(insert hyphen here)types like Moltres have an easy time switching into Sandslash (provided it doesn’t have Stone Edge) and threatening him with powerful Fire Blast. Grass(insert hyphen here)types have an easy time dealing with Sandslash and setting up on him. Torterra and Leafeon can threaten Sandslash with their STAB move of choice or setup set up a Rock Polish or Swords Dance respectively. Weezing can also switch in with ease and threaten Sandslash with a Will-o-wisp. Moltres herself itself is a fine partner to Sandslash, as she it can switch into most Grass types and Weezing easily, and threaten them with either of her STAB Fire Blast while Sandslash can return the favor by rapid spinning removing unwanted Stealth Rocks.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Swords Dance
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Substitute
item: Brightpowder / Leftovers
evs: 44HP /252 Atk / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Despite facing serious competition from other Ground-typed Swords Dancers, Sandslash is able to set himself apart due to Sand Veil. The evasion boost from Sand Veil is highly important for Sandslash’s success, as it gives him the ability beat his counters, or avoid an attack that would otherwise be fatal. Swords Dance increases Sandslash’s attack Attack to an impressive 656, which is allows him to pose as an offensive threat to his opponent. Stone Edge is an excellent coverage move when paired alongside Earthquake, and it allows Sandslash to deal with troublesome Flying(insert hyphen here)types and Pokemon with the Levitate ability. Substitute is highly important to this set’s success, as it allows Sandslash to scout for his counters, and attempt to dodge their incoming attack without risking his own life. If Sandslash succeeds in dodging their attack, it is capable of 2HKOing all of his counters, making him a very dangerous threat in select situations.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Bright Powder Brightpowder is the main item on this set as it goes hand in hand with Sand Veil. The combined evasion boosts give Sandslash a 28% evasion boost. Leftovers is the preferred item can be used if you want a bulkier Sandslash, and its it’s useful for healing substitute damage. The EV’s are pretty straightforward, 252 Atk EV’s and an Adamant nature for max power while 212 EV’s speed EV’s are used to outspeed nearly all defensive varients of Milotic and the rest is dumped into HP for more bulk.</p>

<p>This set absolutely requires Hippopotas to function due to the permanent Sandstorm provided by the little Hippohippo. Despite the rather large evasion boost, keep in mind that Bulky Water- and Grass types are still an effective stop to Sandslash 72% of time. Weezing is also a pain for Sandslash to deal with if it is carrying Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Should a counter switch into one of Sandslash’s Substitutes and manages to break it, manages hit Sandslash’ substitute, Sandslash can opt to use Substitute substitute again to increase his odds of his counters eventually missing. Conventional Weezing counters like Houndoom and Moltres are out the window due to Sandstorm being present(insert comma here) which limits their effectiveness. Cradily is an excellent partner to Sandslash, as he receives a sizeable special defense Special Defense boost in the Sandstorm and is capable of beating both Bulky bulky Water- and Grass(insert hyphen here)types 1 on 1 one on one. As a bonus, Cradily is capable of taking on Moltres, who otherwise plagues Sandslash out of Substitute.</p>

<p>Excessive use of Substitute will quickly wear out Sandslash, so pairing Sandslash up with a Wish user to replenish lost HP is recommended. Clefable, Chansey and Leafeon are all recommended due to their ability to deal with some of Sandslash’ counters. Clefable stands as the only Pokemon of the 3 three who is immune to Sandstorm, and it is capable of dealing with most of the above threats with ease.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 4: Night Slash
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Sandslash can put his good defenses to serve as a good Ground(insert hyphen here)type support Pokemon. Access to Night Slash makes it somewhat hard for ghost types to spin block Sandslash Ghost-types to block Sandslash’s Rapid Spin,as even a Night Slash coming from no attack Attack EV investments is enough hurt bulky Rotom and Mismagius. Stealth Rock provides immediate support for your team(insert comma here) giving your Pokemon an easier time at dealing with the opposition. Rapid Spin is provides fantastic support for your teammates by clearing away entry hazards. Earthquake is Sandslash’s main STAB and is at least strong enough to noticeably hurt frailer Pokemon. Not only is Sandslash capable of removing entry hazards, his above average physical defenses allow it to check prominent physical sweepers like Rhyperior, Swords Dance Toxicroak, and Hitmonlee.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV’s are pretty straightforward. HP and Defence EV’s are maxed with an Impish nature to give Sandslash the highest possible physical bulk. Sandslash is capable of replacing any of his moves with Stone Edge, to deal with power Flying types that easily switch into him. Unfortunately, replacing Night Slash removes one of Sandslash’s niche over Donphan.</p>

<p>Sandslash pairs up well with bulky Water and Grass types like Milotic and Venusaur to take incoming Water- and Ice type attacks and Grass type attacks respectively. Moltres is also a good partner, as she appreciates the removal of Stealth Rock and threatens Grass types with her STAB moves.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS] [Team Options]
<p>Offensively, like any Sweeper Sandslash appreciates entry hazards to ease his sweeping effort. Stealth Rock users like Mesprit and Uxie do a fine job, as well as Spike users like Qwilfish and Omastar. Qwilfish also has the distinction of being able to set up on Milotic. Support sets are capable of using Stone Edge or Night Slash if that Stealth Rocks is being used on another Pokemon.</p>

<p>Defensively, Sandlash Sandslash appreciates a Pokemon who can switch into Super effective Effective Special Attacks special attacks that prey on his weaker Special Defense. A combination of a bulky Grass(insert hyphen here) and Water(insert hyphen here)type Pokemon are good partners to Sandslash. Milotic and Venusaur can easily come in on Sandslash’s counters and threaten them out with their STAB.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES][Optional Changes]
<p>Moveset wise, there isn't much else Sandslash can do without risk of being outclassed by another Pokemon. It can run a Choice Band set but that is entirely outclassed by Donphan who boasts more power. Toxic is an option on the defensive set if you want to cripple bulky Water switch in's. Aerial Ace is an option if you want noticeably damage Heracross and Grass typed switch in's. X-scissor is an option on the offensive sets get some decent damage on Grass types. Safeguard is an option if your team hates status.</p>

[COUNTERS][Counters]
<p>Grass(insert hyphen here)types in general are capable of switch switching into Sandslash with ease and threaten threatening him with their STABs. Tangrowth has an easy time taking 2+ +2 Stone Edge, and threatens back with a STAB Power Whip or Leaf Storm. Leafeon and Torterra are easily capable of switching into Sandslash and are able to setting set up in his face. Bulky waters Waters are also great counters to Sandslash, as they can usually shrug off his attacks with ease and threaten him with a STAB Surf. Milotic and Slowbro do not mind boosted Earthquakes and are capable of OHKOing Sandslash with STAB surfSurf. Moltres is capable of easily switching into most of Sandslash’ attacks and threatening him with STAB Fire Blast.</p>

<p>Weezing is an effective counter, as it can switch into any of Sandslash’s moves and threaten him with a burn. Weezing need's to watch out for Sandslash’s carrying Substitute, who will actually beat Weezing 1 on 1one on one unless he carries Flamethrower. Typically, strong special attackers carrying a Grass, Ice or Water move can usually dispatch dispose of Sandslash without difficulty.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)