1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Sandstorm rushes!!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by green gadgets, Dec 24, 2012.

1. green gadgets

green gadgets

Sandstorm rushes!!

[​IMG]

Team builder process

[​IMG]

I start with Hippopotas, because it's the only Pkmn in LC that can make a infinity Sandstorm.

[​IMG]

I make it short. He's fucking awesome.

[​IMG]

The best Shell Smash user in the entire format and sandstorm immunity.

[​IMG]

Ponyta is the best fire pkmn in LC, in my opinion. I need it against Ferroseed and Foongus. Fire is effectiv against Ice and Grass, that's the most hated Types on my Team.

[​IMG]

Drifloon is the best answer to Mienfoo who is really annoying. It handles Ground Types very easy.

[​IMG]

Smoochum is my Choice to handle Dragon Type's like Gimble who benefit from the Sandstorm.

In detail:

[​IMG]

Hippopotas (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Sandstorm
    EVs: 132-44-212-0-100-20
    Adamant Nature (+ATK, -SAtk)
    -Earthquake
    - Crunch
    - Stealth Rock
    - Whirlwind
    Hippo is the heart of the team, because it's ability to make an infinity Sandstorm. Eviolite makes it a bit bulkier and elevated the staying power. Earthquake is the STAB Move. With Crunch I can trapped many lead Psycho or Ghost Types. Stealth Rock hurt Flying massively and destroyed any plans with Focus Sash (except Abra). Whirlwind is to get out from pokemon with many boosts on it. Also I can switch out a Tirouga while it boosts his states with Shell Smash.

[​IMG]

Drilbur (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 236 ATK / 60 SDef / 212 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+ATK, -SATK)
    - Earthquake
    - Sword Dance
    - Rock Slide
    - Shadow Claw

Drilbur is the best Sweeper on any Sandstorm teams. His ability bring it's already good Speed Stat in monstrous heights. When I predicted a switch he boost his Attack stat with SD, to sweep anything!! Earthquake is for a redicilous high STAB attack. Rock Slide is for all these that are immune to Earthquake and Shadow Claw hits Ghost and Psychic Types really hard, after a boost from SD.

[​IMG]

Tirtouga (F) @ Splash Plate
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs 212 ATK / 116 SDef / 180 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+ATK, -SATK)
    - Shell Smash
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

Tirtouga is one of the strangest Pokemon ever. He can sweep whole teams after a Shell Smash, but also it makes a good role of the lead position. Boost itself, where the opponent makes Hazards or is forced to an switch-out. Waterfall is the main STAB attack. 80 base Power +2 after Shell Smash and 20% to flinch the target. Aqua Jet is a nice priority move. Stone Edge is for Coverage. Tirtouga has the perfect trait Sturdy, to set up with Shell Smash and sweep the entire team with 1 Hp :d

[​IMG]

Ponyta (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait Flash Fire
    EVs 240 ATK / 72 SDef / 196 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Flame Charge
    - Flare Blitz
    - Hypnosis
    - Wild Charge

Ponyta is in my opinion the best fire Pokemon in the entire format. I need it against Ferroseed and Counter Foongus. Both of them has a decent bulk, but Ponyta is a fucking Pony - with fire! Flame Charge is to Hit with STAB and without any life loss (except Life Orb) then it boosts the extreme high Speed stat by 50%. 90 base Speed which growth with every single Flame Charge. Flare Blitz is to Hit really hard, 85 base Attack + 120 base power, STAB and LO!! Hypnosis is to cripple Counters or Sweeper. Wild Charge to Hit Water/Flying Types hard.

[​IMG]

Sandshrew (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait Sand Rush
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Evs 116 HP / 236 Atk / 40 Def / 116 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rock Slide
    - Night Shade

Sandshrew is a good Sweeper and Rapid Spin user. Earthquake is the monstrous Stab. Rock Slide for all the Flyer and Levitate user. Night Shade for Ghastly, Misdreavus and all the Ghost Types. Rapid Spin for the hazards. With Sand Rush Sandshrew have a enorm Spd stat.

[​IMG]

Mienfoo (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait Regenrator
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Evs 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - U-Turn
    - Knock Off
    - Stone Edge

Mienfoo is the third Sweeper in the team. With Hi Jump Kick it deals a lot of damage to every face. U-Turn is to scouting the next move.

Marry Christmas <3
  2. Yonko7

Yonko7 Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Hiya green gadgets! I like your team a lot~

I have some suggestions that could improve your team.

During my playtest I noticed that Scraggy is difficult to handle. As mentioned, Drifloon isn't the best Pokemon to switch into Mienfoo, as many just U-turn out and with potential Stealth Rock on the field, Drifloon is going to get worn down quickly. Similarly, Scraggy that manage to setup a Dragon Dance against your Choice-locked Smoochum or unboosted Tirtouga. From there, even Drilbur doesn't OHKO with Earthquake, so Scraggy can proceed to gain health back with Drain Punch, and against a well-played Scraggy Hippopotas is going to be worn down. Furthermore, in general Pokemon that set up that aren't KOed by Earthquake are annoying to take down.

To help with these problems I suggest Choice Scarf Mienfoo to replace Drifloon. With Drilfoon you do lost a Flying-type STAB that is really useful to hit Grass-types with, and a Pokemon with great resists all around. Choice Scarf Mienfoo helps to solve the problem against opposing Pokemon that have set up against you, and gives you a speedy revenge killer. Mienfoo has regenerator so it won't get worn down by Sandstorm or Stealth Rock, and on an offensive team like yours, it fits well.

Mienfoo (open)

[​IMG]
    Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant | Regenerator
    EV: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - U-Turn
    - Knock Off / Drain Punch

Knock Off is really handy for getting rid of Eviolites.

I find Smoochum out of place on the team, as it isn't particularly fast nor impressive. I also think that you would benefit greatly if Drilbur can go all out offensive, and had a partner do the rapid spinning. Sandshrew is a great partner in crime, as it can weaken many Pokemon that counter Drilbur, and forms a pseudo-Double Dragon combo. With Sandshrew taking the rear with spinning, Drilbur can utilize a Swords Dance set to really bring the power to everyone. You do lost an Ice-type, but with Choice Specs and a mediocre Speed, it wasn't really doing much in reality anyway. Now with 2 Sand Rushers and a Choice Scarfer on your team, you opponent will be hard-pressed to stop you, or set up against you.

Sandshrew &amp; Drilbur (open)

[​IMG]
    Sandshrew @ Eviolite
    Adamant | Sand Rush
    EV: 116 HP / 236 Atk / 40 SpD / 116 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Rapid Spin
    - Night Slash

[​IMG]
    Drilbur @ Evolite
    Adamant | Eviolite
    EV: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Shadow Claw

Now a minor nitpick, I don't think Water Gem is as awesome as it seems; sure a really strong Waterfall or Aqua Jet is nice after setting up, or even before setting up, but then what? I'd think a Splash Plate would give you the biggest bang in the long run, powering up your attacks every turn, rather than one.

Hope I helped ^.^
  3. green gadgets

green gadgets

Hey Yonko7,
    thanks for that great description. First I had Shieldon in my team, but I needed someone against Dragons, I kicked Shieldon for Sneasel - who is banned in LC. So I try Smoochun. It wasn't that good, now I try Sandshrew. Drilbur is now the SD Sweeper. Drifloon was also great, he OHKO every Mienfoo in the metagame. I already switch-in Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick and cripple it with Will-O-Wisp or take it down with Acrobatics. Maybe with Sandshrew and Drilbur I can kill it easy. Splash Plate is really a better Choice then Water Gem :D

And yes you helped me a lot.

Thanks
  4. Chirac

Chirac

There are many mistakes in your descriptions.
    - Drilbur : you mention Stone Edge, but you have X-Scissor.
    - Ponyta : Flare Blitz has a 120 basepower, not 140.
    - Drifloon : Mienfoo doesn't have Crunch. But maybe you would speak about Stone Edge.

Finally, Smoochum seems to be a little bit useless... You said you use it to cripple Dragon-Types, but it won't survive to any hit, and with no speed evs, they all outspeed you.

I think you have some things to review with your team. Yes Tirtouga, Drilbur and Ponyta do the job very well, but if your opponent sets up Stealth Rock and a DD like Scraggy or Axew, this is endgame for you.
  5. green gadgets

green gadgets

I'll change that, thanks
  6. Raseri

Raseri musharna fan
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Leader

Hey Green Gadget, this team is pretty cool, but it will really struggle against Snover. Without a doubt Snover is the biggest threat to Sand teams, and yours is no exception.

While at first it looks like Ponyta is a good switch into Snover, without Eviolite it will really struggle, and will flat out lose to Scarf Snover most of the time. Blizzard will 2HKO most of the time with hail damage + Stealth Rock, and a Choice Scarf will allow Snover to outspeed your Ponyta.

The biggest thing your team needs is a way to reliably handle Snover, arguably the best switch in to Snover is Munchlax.

Show Hide
    Munchlax (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 236 Atk / 36Def / 236 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Return
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquakel
    - Pursuit

This is the best Snover counter in the game, with Stealth Rock you'll have beat it in no time. as it can barely hurt you at all, relying on Giga Drain to do around 20% per turn. You can easily Pursuit or Fire Punch Snover to oblivion :).

Your team is also very weak to Timburr, as once it weakens Hippopotas you have nothing to really stop it, I would recommend using Misdreavus > Mienfoo to counter act that issue.

The following set:
    Show Hide
    Misdreavus (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 240 Spa / 240 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Tl;dr (open)

Munchlax > Ponyta
    Misdreavus > Mienfoo

Now Psychic might seem like a weird choice, but it allows Missy to do immediate damage to Fighting-types, as Shadow Ball is pretty weak before a boost. This Misdreavus can also serve as a pivot to just about anything in the metagame, its pretty hard to OHKO.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)