1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sandstorm Team OU

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Yanmega x3, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Yanmega x3

Yanmega x3

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Sand Stream
    252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense
    Adamant
    Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Payback

Tyranitar sets up the sandstorm and Stealth Rock, then focuses on attacking. It can easily take special Water, Ground, and Steel attacks, and can survive physical moves of the same typing long enough to set up Stealth Rock. However, a STAB Fighhting type move is usually more than enough to take it down. As it does not have any Speed EVs, it usually attacks after the opponent, so I use Payback instead of Crunch.

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
    Sand Veil
    252 HP, 196 Special Defense, 60 Speed
    Jolly
    Earthquake
    Swords Dance
    Rock Polish
    Baton Pass

Gliscor relies on its bulk to take attacks while it sets up Rock Polish and Swords Dance, then Baton Passes the boosts to Aggron or Mamoswine. The Yache Berry allows it to almost always survive an Ice attack, while its Sand Veil gives it the Evasion boost. It can get into trouble if it gets Taunted, especially if the opponent is Flying type/Levitate/Balloon or if Swords Dance is not yet set up.

Lucario @ Choice Specs
    Inner Focus
    252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Timid
    Aura Sphere
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden Power (Ice)
    Vacuum Wave

Serving as the sole Special Attacking member of my team, Lucario relies on its great Speed to attack with Choice Specs boosted moves. It can also revenge kill with Vacuum Wave if Mamoswine is out of commission. Unfortunately, if a speedy/Choice Scarfed Pokémon pulls out a Fire, Ground, or Fighting type move, Lucario goes down pretty quickly.

Bronzong @ Light Clay
    Heatproof
    252 HP, 84 Attack, 88 Defense, 84 Special Defense
    Relaxed
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Gyro Ball
    Explosion

Bronzong sets up Reflect and Light Screen, then explodes. Heatproof may not prove as a deception for long, but if I can avoid an Earthquake on the first turn it comes out, I don't need to worry about it as much with Reflect up. I usually choose to use Explosion right after setting up the screens so my other Pokémon can use them for the longest possible time, but if Gyro Ball seems like a good choice, and Bronzong is at a decent HP level, I'll go for it.

Aggron @ Life Orb
    Rock Head
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Jolly
    Head Smash
    Aqua Tail
    Low Kick
    Rock Polish

Aggron is designed to power its way through as many Pokémon as it can before it faints from a super fast/Choice Scarfed/priority move, or from the Life Orb recoil. If Gliscor can pass on a Swords Dance and a Rock Polish, Aggron can outspeed most threats and can, at times, take out half or more of the opponents team. Even if it switches into a Ground or Fighting type move, it will often survive it, utilizing either the sandstorm's Special Defense boost or its naturally amazing Defense stat. Its biggest problem is its accuracy. If it misses with its 80% accuracy Head Smash or its 90% accuracy Aqua Tail, it gets left wide open and can be taken down without too much trouble. The accuracy is even more of an issue if my opponent is using a Pokémon with Sand Veil, as I'll have set up a sandstorm already.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Thick Fat
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Def
    Adamant
    Ice Shard
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Superpower

Mamoswine is an amazing revenge killer. With STAB Ice Shard plus Life Orb, it can usually hit a third or more of its opponent's HP without a Swords Dance. If Gliscor Baton Passes it a Swords Dance, it becomes trouble for the opponent, and if it can manage two Swords Dances, then almost any non-resistant Pokémon gets taken down. Superpower is great for taking out unsuspecting Tyranitar, although the Attack drop hurts quite a bit. It can be taken out fairly easily by Water types, as they resist Ice Shard and pack super effective Surf/Waterfall/Scald.

That's my team. I've tested it out quite a bit, and I've made a test version of it ingame. It's biggest weakness is definately Fighting types. When I anticipate a fighting type move, the only Pokémon I can safely switch into is Gliscor (and sometimes Bronzong). Ground is similarly annoying, only on a slightly lesser scale, and Water can be a problem if I don't take it out quickly.
  2. Eos

Eos some people just want to see the world burn
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Uhm, i really don't understand why you are running specs luke when lucario got nasty plot in gen 5. This allows him to switch moves and still have tremendous power.
    Also you are running all gen 4 team sets really, which i highly suggest you switch to the current metagame.
    I'm not going sit by and help you really just make a team (although it really should need it :/), so i'll just give you some quick advice!
    Actually......seeing as all of your sets are fourth gen this leads me to believe that you haven't even been aware of the current metagame, or you put this under the wrong thread area. If this is gen 5, please have the pokes at least have up to date good sets and EVs. If this is in the wrong area, copy and past it, or ask a mod (probably Haunter).

If you have this team fixed up to the standard gen 5, then you can VM me to actually rate this again. If in gen 4, you know what to do.
    Erm, gl with the team i suppose lol
  3. Yanmega x3

Yanmega x3

I looked through the Gen 5 movepools/abilities, but most of the new move additions seem less helpful than the moves I have now. On closer inspection, I noticed that Mamoswine can now have Thick Fat, so that's one change I'll be making. Also, I'm hesitant to put Nasty Plot on Lucario because it will often faint if the opponent gets a good move in. It is sometimes even taken out by Water or Electric type moves, if the opponent has good Special Attack. I just don't know if I set up the Nasty Plot and live to sweep.
  4. NaPz

NaPz

SS team and no Excadrill (not even a THOUGHT about using him)? o_o Not trying to troll, but he's pretty standard.
  5. Eos

Eos some people just want to see the world burn
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Oh, the point of having Nasty Plot on Lucario is to predict a switch from a poke that was currently in to a poke that can somewhat counter lucario. With that being said, you can set up a free nasty plot and take no attacking damage against you in this situation. Well, that is best option anyways.
  6. JSND

JSND

THAT so much used pokemon will break this team apart.
    After 1 bulk up roob pretty much kick your ass.
    Even moreso is zuru after a SINGLE DD and ice punch.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)