1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sawsbuck is the new breaker

Discussion in 'BW NU' started by Tyrano, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Tyrano

Tyrano

Now that we have lost three very significant offensive pokes (Emboar, Cinccino and Absol) it's time for some newcomers take its place. I've have always had problems in taking down Alomomola due to its great bulk and regenerator which makes it hard to beat, so while I was looking for something to counter it, I discover Sawsbuck.

[​IMG]
    Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
    Sap Sipper | Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    ~ Agility
    ~ Horn Leech
    ~ Nature Power
    ~ Return/Megahorn/Wild Charge

This is it, with a single Agility it outspeeds every poke in the tier without scarf, and even some scarfers like Sawk (modest). The main attack must be Horn Leech which allows you to recover LO damage and 2HKOes Alomomola, Nature Power is a upgraded Earthquake, why? because it avoids Sucker Punch an OHKOes Skuntank. The last move depends on the needs of your team. Return is a nice stab which OHKOes Roselia with SR on the field for example, Megahorn 2HKOes Duosion and Musharna, and has 75.78% chance to 2HKO Tangela as well. Wild Charge is used basically to hit ghost pokes, it OHKOes Driftblim and Haunter after SR, but in general I would choose one of the first two. You could even try the double dancer with Swords Dance replacing one of the moves, but that leaves you with only two offensive options.
    Note that if you manage to switch in a grass move, you'll get a very useful +1 atk boost.

As for counters, Weezing and Misdreavus can take all its atacks with almost any problem, bulky dragons too. Be careful with Piloswine because it can resist a Horn Leech and take Sawsbuck down with Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear/Ice Shard. Depending on the set, you add more counters to the list, but it depends on your skill as a player to reveal which set does your Sawsbuck has.
  2. Shuckleking87

Shuckleking87 Calling the ban of shuckle since gen 2
    is a Tiering Contributor

Hypothetically, this stat spread works to take out alomomola that stay in twice (not that they would to begin with, nor would I switch one into an alomomola). Also, running megahorn would be a good idea as it has a 76% chance to 2HKO Tangela with stealth rocks while it cannot really do anything back. In this case, I would run return over nature power, as horn leech will do decent damage to rock/ steel types that have a secondary typing, and return has a 44% chance to OHKO after rocks to skuntank. However, the loss of nature power is unfortunate. Even with agility outspeeding alot of major threats and even some choice scarfers, its initial speed that cannot outspeed max speed sawk, pinsir, offensive articuno, and maybe most importantly, zangoose is a major letdown. Maybe it is better to run Jolly and Swords Dance instead, as the little extra initial speed would let you gaurentee outspeed these pokes, barring the choice scarf, while swords dance can make you a scarier late-game threat as it is scary enough to force switches. I think a swords dance boost is more potent than a speed boost.

EDIT: Piloswine does not resist horn leech, and will actually take 59-70% from it. Though Ice shard will do 54-64% and icicle spear will ohko, I wouldnt stay in on it, but piloswine is not a safe switch into sawsbuck.
  3. ium

ium dein haar riecht gut
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i'm not really too fond of a non-swords dance set on sawsbuck because it's not strong enough, even with a sap sipper boost. at +0, sawsbuck actually struggles to cleanly 2HKO to alomomola without extra hazards since leftovers is factored in. sawsbuck also takes around 50% from an uninvested hidden power ice from tangela while it can't 2HKO back unless it switches into a grass-type move and uses megahorn. i honestly think that swords dance is the best set on sawsbuck since it helps bust through bulkier pokemon that can threaten sawsbuck with a KO or status move. additionally, base 95 speed is already stupid fast against the majority of NU, so you're using agility to beat a small handful of pokemon, like rotom-a and swellow, that teams are usually more prepared for anyway.

though with that being said, an agility set looks really interesting for late-game since it can clean up stuff, or it could perhaps baton pass a boost to something more powerful or advantageous against the opponent.
  4. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent Yeah, well. The Dude abides
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

How about Double Dance Sawsbuck? Just use whichever boosting move is required for the situation. Sawsbuck has excellent neutral STAB coverage anyway.
  5. JoshuaMunoz

JoshuaMunoz

I've been using Scarfed Sawsbuck lately, and it actually worked out great. The set is so unexpected that it usually helps me in a lot of tough situations. I'm running Horn Leech, Return, Nature Power, Baton pass. This works well with something like Piloswine because Piloswine lures grass type attacks and Sawsbuck can try to get in on a Sap Sipper boost, though you gotta be careful with the occasional Grass/Poison Pokemon. Scarfed Sawsbuck also helps me get rid of +2 Gorebyss (which my team HATES!). Sawsbuck is a pretty interesting Pokemon, and with the likes of Boar, Absol, and Cinccino out of the tier, it actually is a pretty good Pokemon with the right support :)
  6. Zebraiken

Zebraiken your move, chief
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnus

sawsbuck always has been fucking amazing and works incredibly well with piloswine & carracosta, as pointed out (although you should carry gurdurr checks if you plan on using that...).

i've used adamant lo @ sd / agility / double edge / horn leech for some time now and i have to honestly say that i favor the standard jolly sd set. while adamant is nice for turning it into a nuke, the extra speed is really critical sometimes (especially for zangoose and other stuff like jolly sawk, who otherwise outspeeds you). nature power is also really nice to be able to pick off skuntank without it sucker punching you and to KO garbodor without having to deal with rocky helmet / aftermath. agility is a cool idea in theory and cleaning up against stuff like scarf rotom-a sounds great, but out of 100+ battles i found the proper timing to use agility maybe four or five times.

i don't really like either of the other coverage moves, tbh. megahorn literally is just for tangela and wild charge is literally just for drifblim; neither of them are common enough to warrant the entire moveslot unless you really really have that much trouble with them. return is also pretty weak (as FLCL said, it does like 85% to everything) and when you're as frail as sawsbuck, the recoil from double-edge is greatly preferred to getting ohkoed because return didn't kill the opposing pokemon.

scarf sawsbuck is okay but i don't like locking in buck. despite having pretty solid neutral coverage together, each one of its moves are very easily taken advantage of when locked in and being forced to switch in and out because you're locked into the wrong move can be really wearing on your team.
  7. cbt

cbt subtle body
    is a Pokemon Researcher
    Mentor

sawsbuck is an underrated/underused mon that can break walls well with setup, and also has a way of getting free attack boosts (sap sipper), allowing it to switch in on many grass types or pokemon with grass type moves. i've been using jolly lo (horn leech, return, sd, nature power), and it has served me very well. however, it has trouble with fast flying types and priority users such as gurdurr, meaning psychic and rock types can be useful teammates.
  8. Governess

Governess A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sawsbuck is a great Pokemon, though, with/without Swords Dance. Personally, Id agree with ium; S-Dance doesn't make up for that power with Sap Sipper. I used Sawsbuck in a variety of teams, as a revenge killer, as a wall breaker, and even as a set up sweeper. The most successful setting -for me- is a sun team, where it can make full use of it's ability, Chlorophyll, and doesn't have to worry about setting up Agility. I didnt use S-Dance, and it seemed to knock out Pokemon just fine with LO. Though, this is just my experience. Others may have had different results with it, and that's fine.
    I agree; Sawsbuck is rising to fame, with all the superstars moving to RU ^^; Good job pointing that out!
  9. Volty

Volty

Yes, as people have said Sawsbuck is truely worthy of being called a wall breaker. It is the best grass type to use on a sun team in my opinion, due to the fact it does outspeed 99% of the teir under sun. Definetly use Swords dance/ double edge/ horn leech/ nature power though, double edge is so strong i see no point in not having that power with reliable recovery when you need it. A scarf set could work too for the suprise factor as JoshuaMunoz said.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)