Sawsbuck

Mabukijiika doesn't necessarily have to do everything by himself, so coverage is a fine, but unrecommended option since many Pokemon have good teamwork and synergy under the sun. If I used him, I wouldn't worry about the "greatest" coverage; rather, I hope to bulldoze through a few things before going down. If the opportunity presents itself, Mebukijiika can sweep by itself.

This applies to the Normal-STAB and coverage debate.
Double-Edge can mow most things down - which is why the other 2/3 attacks are so hard to pick. It's basically picking what you don't mow down.

Faint Attack did 70% to Shandy, don't know if it was a bulky variant though. SR damage and a layer of spikes should put it in KO range.

Shubarago in TR is pretty simple.

He does the manly thing and rams his horn in, as for whether hes common hes pretty rare on the basis Scizor usually fills the bug/steel quota and doesn't need TR boosts to be dangerous.

Mabukijiika doesn't necessarily have to do everything by himself, so coverage is a fine, but unrecommended option since many Pokemon have good teamwork and synergy under the sun. If I used him, I wouldn't worry about the "greatest" coverage; rather, I hope to bulldoze through a few things before going down. If the opportunity presents itself, Mebukijiika can sweep by itself.

This applies to the Normal-STAB and coverage debate.
Very true, but since often you will have a Venusaur with Growth in a similar position of being able to tear through all but a few things, 4 Atks rather than SD appeals to me at least. It can indeed be used in either way however, and certainly serves to punch holes in things very well.

I wouldn't recommend using using Wood Horn against Tenacruel because of it's trait Liquid Ooze. I learned the hard way, when I Drain Punched it with my Bulk Up'd Roopushin x_x

I do agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread though, that Mebukijika is a good pokemon. I use the SD sweeper with Wood Horn, Jump Kick and Double-Edge. I was thinking about using the baton passer set, but Leafeon, overall may be better at doing that.
If you reread my quote that's what I was saying :P that Double-Edge hits it harder thanks to being half poison, and you'll get the same recoil since DE does 50% recoil and Wood Horn would recover 50% of damage, which Liquid Ooze reverses. BP I think isn't totally outclassed due to it actually having some coverage and STAB on Normal moves, but Leafeon's bulk does help it a lot in that department.

Double-Edge can mow most things down - which is why the other 2/3 attacks are so hard to pick. It's basically picking what you don't mow down.

Faint Attack did 70% to Shandy, don't know if it was a bulky variant though. SR damage and a layer of spikes should put it in KO range.
Well Faint attack does at most 77.2% to Shandy with no defences, so its not really an option for KOing unless you have Spikes too, yeah. 2 Layers are needed for the certain OHKO. Gengar however is KOed solely with rocks. Since Wild Bolt has lacklustre coverage and Faint Attack has pretty bad power I think I'll stick with Megahorn for the recoil-less hits, or maybe change to SD. Hitting Gengar is nice but I can deal with it in other ways. It could certainly be useful however.

The only negotiable slot imo is Nature Power vs. Jump Kick. The latter should only be considered if you have problems with Nattorei or Balloon Heatran on your sun team (Skarm/Bronzong beat you either way). Swords Dance / Double-Edge / Wood Horn / Nature Power is what I typically run, and it plows through unprepared teams. Sometimes you don't even need a boost to get the damage done, as its Double-Edge tears up things. Wood Horn is severely underrated, getting that chunk of health back after KOing Suicune is nice.

Besides his obvious sweeping sets, he can also SubSeed pretty well. Substitute / Leech Seed / Return / Jump Kick is both fast as shit and powerful. Jump Kick + Return hits most Grass-types for neutral damage. Megahorn is an option but Jump Kick is useful for Nattorei and Return gets STAB and hits most things for neutral. Gengar isn't really a problem, despite being immune to both of your attacks. Leech Seed stall works here, and you can outspeed and recycle Substitutes. Overall, I'm pleased with this guy, and he's a huge threat.

Leech Seed stall works here, and you can outspeed and recycle Substitutes. Overall, I'm pleased with this guy, and he's a huge threat.
Oh, LOL.

Can't believe I haven't realized that myself. That behind a substitute Wood Horn be a sort of cancel for the health loss to make a sub.

One funny thing about Leech Seed I learned on the PO server was if I got seeded (not Mebukijika) and used Baton Pass, then Mebukijika or the recipient gets seeded. Was shocking to learn that Leech Seed "status" can be Baton Pass'd.

I was hoping he would get nitro burst (kinda figured he would b/c of wild bolt)
Nitro Burst
Swords Dance
Wood Horn
Jump Kick
would be awesome. SD for atk and Nitro for speed.

He gets revenged pretty easily by Techniloom and with the new popularity of Sandstorm (along with the addition of Drizzle Politoed) make Synthesis not incredibly viable.

Only non-Chople variants have issues with Techniloom. As long as she's fairly healthy, Breloom won't be revenging Mebukijika, it'll be dying. But possibly, Double-Edge recoil can kill her after the fact - not that she needs it to kill Techniloom.

He gets revenged pretty easily by Techniloom and with the new popularity of Sandstorm (along with the addition of Drizzle Politoed) make Synthesis not incredibly viable.
The newfound prevalence of Fighting priority is somewhat of an issue, but Sun teams can in fact pack counters to this with ease. Shandera is immune, as is Goruguu who functions well as an offensive spinblocker, and Venusaur and Cresselia both resist and can abuse Sun well in offensive or defensive roles.

SS is of course very common, but the main issue with Synthesis is not that SS isn't up when Mebu is on the field, but that it is better served ripping holes in things than healing up, in many cases. Who would dare switch a Politoed, TTar or Hippo into a poke able to deal heavy damage to all of them? It is however not Mebu's best option.

Wood Horn beats the tar out of Synthesis any day. Big Root that bad boy. Unless a Grass resist comes in. Which is likely/possible.

I like using Aianto to pass +2 Defense.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.

Why use Faint Attack when Mebukijika gets Nature Power?

The only Ghosts that resist its STAB and JK are Shandy and Gengar and Shandy is hit super effectively by NP. So really, Gengar is the only reason to have Faint Attack and its not really worth having such a weak move just to hit one pokemon.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
i have this tendency to take pokemon with average defenses and give them defensive EVs just for the heck of it, so without further ado:

BAM!@Leftovers
Chlorophyll/Herbivore
252HP/4Atk/252Spe
Jolly
-Swords Dance/Agility
-Substitute
-Wood Horn
-Baton Pass

Preferably, if his ability is Chlorophyll, use Swords Dance so you'll be faster than everything under the sun (use with Drought or any Sunny Day invoker); if ability is Herbivore, use Agility, but mix and match as you please, any combo could work just as well. As my personal preference, I'll use Swords Dance over Agility any day for this set. Now, to explain the set:

1.) Come in on a resisted attack or something he can force out (like Swampert/Quagsire), throw up a Sub on the switch; alternatively, if he starts out as your new active pokemon to replace a fainted one, still throw up a Sub to protect against status or simply to scout.

2.) Once safely behind a Sub, use Swords Dance, then pass it next turn as your Sub breaks (or DOESN'T break, in which case, it's a bonus).

Why the HP EV's? Why don't you just dump everything into Attack for Wood Horn? Well, my answer to that is that we want to make this deadly deer survive long enough to pass a boost. The extra bulk will also make his Subs a little more durable (though not much). And with Swords Dance boosting your attack anyway, Wood Horn's going to cause some damage (and heal some of yours in the process). Alternatively, he can semi-stall with the combination of Sub and SD-boosted Wood Horn (but not for long--max 16PP for your only offensive attack).

I am liking this thing more and more everytime I theorymon it.
This faces competition as a grass type Swords dance passer from Leafeon who is bulkier and more powerful, and Celebi who is far bulkier than either and slightly faster, however the ability to pass Herbivore boosts (Im assuming its not the same as Unburden?) could be quite useful I suppose.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
A +2 Wood Horn does similar damage to Gengar, meaning it's probably KOd after switching into Stealth Rock. I would like to mention that Heatran is a great partner (and an underrated Pokemon for sun teams) to Mebukijika, dealing with things like Bronzong, Metagross (if you choose to use Jump Kick; be careful, though, Metagross is pretty dangerous with EQ), Skarmory, and Nattorei (if you choose Nature Power instead). It can also take incoming Will-O-Wisps from things like Desukan (or even Weezing!), as well as dealing with Shandera, should you opt for Jump Kick.

A +2 Wood Horn does similar damage to Gengar, meaning it's probably KOd after switching into Stealth Rock. I would like to mention that Heatran is a great partner (and an underrated Pokemon for sun teams) to Mebukijika, dealing with things like Bronzong, Metagross (if you choose to use Jump Kick; be careful, though, Metagross is pretty dangerous with EQ), Skarmory, and Nattorei (if you choose Nature Power instead). It can also take incoming Will-O-Wisps from things like Desukan (or even Weezing!), as well as dealing with Shandera, should you opt for Jump Kick.
That's true actually, FA may be a tad too weak to be an option.. I just seem to have had a lot of Gangar problems lately. In terms of a 4th Coverage move, it's starting to look like SD is simply the better option for the extra power it provides.

Just realised - if Sun teams become more commonplace now the Drizzle+SwSw ban is in place, Mebukijika may well be subject to somewhat of a speed creep like Doryuzzu (now Excadrill) was as SS grew more popular. Base 95 Speed sits above all chlorophyllers bar Leafeon who ties (and his very lacklustre coverage) and Jumpluff (who typically runs a non-offensive set). This leaves Sawsbuck (eugh) as the fastest outright Chlorophyll sweeper, who can outpace all others with ease. His having Megahorn and a powerful Normal STAB also helps him counter the other Chlorophyllers pretty hard. I basically see all Sawsbuck eventually ending up running max speed and something to hit other Chlorophyllers with.

On another note, he has to be one of the most trolled pokemon in terms of English names. Sawsbuck and Sap Sipper just sound pretty ridiculous...

Venusaur now gets chlorophyll as its DW ability, making it faster at 100 base speed. I believe it is male-only though.

When I tested Mebukijika on my sun team it worked well... but is inferior to Tangrowth in nearly every way. I found myself taking it out pretty early in matches to kill/ weaken things that would stop a Tangrowth sweep later on.

I'm not saying its bad, but Tangrowth is just really, really amazing under sun.

When I tested Mebukijika on my sun team it worked well... but is inferior to Tangrowth in nearly every way. I found myself taking it out pretty early in matches to kill/ weaken things that would stop a Tangrowth sweep later on.

I'm not saying its bad, but Tangrowth is just really, really amazing under sun.
Well the main factor between them is Speed/Bulk. Tangrowth loses to a ton of scarfers even when maxed out, and Mebu can blast through them. The secondary STAB of Double-Edge or Return also lets him achieve pretty awesome 3-4 move coverage without having to resort to a 70 accuracy Fighting move. Both can run Growth/SD sets well, it just depends on what role you want them to perform. Neither is inferior, however, for definite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)