SM OU Say Hy to my Voltorn (Hydregon+Bulu Volturn)

Hey folks, welcome to my rmt. Here's a little intro to my thought process and how I came to some of my pokemon, I included a bit of a TLDR at the bottom of this if ya wanna skip my blabbering. So, I was thinking about some cool pokemon that you don't see too much in OU, but still fill viable niches. One pokemon that came to mind was hydregon, more specifically the scarf set. I wanted a mon that could benefit from a U-turn and destroy some checks to hydregon, and I thought "why outplay when I can click banded bulu and get a kill". Bulu destroys pokemon like pex, magerna, and clefable that can blanket check hydregon. I wanted some more u-turn momentum and a good defogger, so I decided to use tornadus-therian edition. Now, this was looking pretty clean so far, so I decided to add even more offensive pressure in ash-gren (with uturn because pex is always coming in no matter what, so I wanted a nice and free switch-in for bulu) and Av mag and lando-t for a nice defensive core.

Tldr: Hydregon as a scarfer, torn for a defogger and pivot, banded bulu for offensive pressure when brought in by uturn, ash gren for more momentum, lando-t for rocks and a phys. def wall and magerna for more momentum and a blanket check to special attackers.
Edit: I have no idea why it has the view attachment thing, I misclicked post when I was adding sprites and now it's all messed up for all but mag, which I added before the edits.
So, let's look at my sets and go more in-depth in their roles.

Hydreigon.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

The mon I wanted to build around, this pokemon might seem like a discount lati at first glance, but if you look twice, it has a lot to offer my team. And it only got better in USUM, it hard walls blacephelon. Well, maybe not HARD walls
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 238-282 (73.2 - 86.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
, but it invalidates both it's STAB moves and make's short work of any set that doesn't catch me with a scarf hp ice on the switch (I do have magerna for that, almost like I planned it while theorymonning). A few things that hydregon gives me over, say, a scarfed lati are good fire coverage, u-turn, and dark STAB which is very hard to deal with in the current metagame. It's draco meteor is no joke, either. This pokemon gives me momentum, a cleaner, and a potential wall-breaker if my opponent didn't think about this pokemon's coverage while prepping.

Tapu_Bulu.png

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Bulu is the best it's ever been, in my opinion. While the AV set is very popular right now, I wanted to give banded a spin just because of how good it is when given a free switch-in. Bulu is an absurd wallbreaker, and balance teams have very few switch-ins, while offensive teams have to pick a sacrifice everytime I get bulu in. Other than wall-breaking, it's a great scout for koko, and can very easily clean teams just by eating up hits and recovering absurd amounts with horn-leech. Bulu also deals with toxapex, clefable, and a chipped magerna with superpower. The coverage is pretty self explanatory, I didn't use zen-headbutt because 1) It can destroy pex anyways, and amoongos isn't relevant right now and 2) Stone edge bops any pinsirs if they're feeling brave enough to switch-in or SD in my face.

Tornadus_(Therian).png

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Ahh, torn. Where do I begin with this thing? It's a great pivot, a great defogger (imo), and a great source of power with it's fly-z hurricane, dealing with grass types that don't already fall to bulu like tangrowth and kartana, and getting my opponents ash-gren checks nice and weak. Timid+knock off and uturn might seem weird, but keep in mind it's regen makes a a good mon to take a few hits, the last thing I wanted was to weaken my defenses. If I was running superpower, I'd run hasty or naive. Defog provides very nice team support, keeping hazards off my side of the field, and u-turn for mo- I've said it enough. You get the point.

Greninja_(Ash-Greninja).png

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Ash-gren is a very good pokemon in the current metagame, being a great cleaner and a mon that's very good at forcing switches. My "tech" (at least in the current meta) is u-turn, which is so good at bringing in bulu on the ever so present toxapex, or bringing in lando-t on the magerna, or torn on the tangrowth, etc. This set is standard as hell, most players could put this on a team in their sleep. It's such a meta-defining threat. (So don't lock cause of this description LUL)

Landorus_(Therian).png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Good ol' lando, this pokemon is my blanket check to pokemon such as hawlucha, garchomp, zygarde, zard-x, and pretty much most physical attackers who's name isn't medicham or araq or banded kartana or sd kartana. Quake is a great STAB move to hit pokemon such as pex and magerna, hp ice hits opposing landos, uturn is for the m-word, and stealth rocks are rocks. I opted for 68 speed ev's because it pretty much allows me to outspeed any defensive lando. If you want to take it up to the max, you can add enough speed to outspeed adamant bisharp, but I don't like seeing such low defensive evs should you do so.

Magearna.png

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magerna is my special wall, great at checking almost everything that lando is weak to such as gren, lele, fini, etc. Iron head is for the dual dance magerna, making you not complete setup fodder while hp fire is for scizor and ferrothorn, volt switch is for I'm done even implying it. This pokemon is very self explanatory, it checks rain threats like kingdra and is a great sponge for my team.

Conclusion: This team has been putting in some work for me, I'm currently 1650s and climbing with this, and have done some laddering with my alts just to test the waters in different parts of the ladder. I usually try to gain a ton of momentum early game, while prioritizing rocks and wearing down pokemon that check ash gren, hydregon, and torn for some nice cleans.
Threatlist:
Huge threats: Heatran, zard-y
Both these pokemon can just click their fire move vs me and wear down my 2, kindof frail resists in hydregon and gren.
Mid tier threats: Mega-Sableye and mega tyranitar both give my team hell, sableye wears down pokemon like magerna with wilo-wisp and unless I can bring in bulu on it, I struggle with taking it down and getting up rocks vs it. Tyranitar, with a dd up, is a huge threat unless I've chipped it a ton with helmet, etc.

Last edited:
Cool team, always wondered how Hydreigon would fare in OU.

What I would possibly recommend is this:

You have 5 VoltTurners, so obviously you will be switching a lot. I would suggest perhaps replacing U-Turn on Greninja-Ash with Spikes, as you've specified your team presents a lot of threats, you also have 3 Pokemon immune to all spikes, 2 rocks resists and Magearna also immune to toxic, your 1 Pokemon weak to rocks has Regenerator. So you could probably afford to switch quite a lot, but you'll be at risk of getting worn down faster than your opponent without Spikes. I know hazard stacking can seem kind of fruitless when you have Defog, but you'll need it for the occasional Webs and also to avoid your Bulu being Toxic'd, seeing as you have no poison types, otherwise I think stacking it more beneficial to your team than keeping your self clear of hazards.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I really like the idea of Hydreigon! I completely agree with the above comment. Since you'll be forcing switches, Spikes is a great support for your breakers. An idea for tackling Heatran could be HP Ground on Tornadus. It 2HKOs every time if the Heatran is the most common Magma Storm trapping set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)