move 3: Substitute
move 4: Rock Slide / Earthquake
item: Liechi Berry
ability: Overgrow
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
ivs: 30 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to make full use of Sceptile's excellent ability, Overgrow, by abusing its sky-high Speed stat and its aptitude to force switches. Being able to outspeed every Pokémon in its tier barring Electrode, Swellow and Dugtrio (the latter of which shares the same base Speed with Sceptile) allows Sceptile to sweep effectively late-game without needing to boost its already impressive Speed stat. Substitute forms the crux of this set, allowing Sceptile to disregard status, while also ensuring the activation of both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow. The strategy is very simple: set up a Substitute on a Pokémon that is scared off by Sceptile (bulky Water- and Ground-types are good examples), then Swords Dance while your opponent breaks the Substitute, and proceed to Substitute again until you have activated both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow. If this set is used correctly, then after a single Swords Dance and the Attack boost granted by the Liechi Berry, you will be sweeping with +3 attack and a deadly Overgrow-boosted Leaf Blade. A Salac Berry can also be used in place of the Liechi Berry: it lets Sceptile outspeed every Pokémon in UU, and is an insurance against random Pokémon holding a Choice Scarf such as Hitmonlee and Rotom; although it should be noticed that without the Liechi Berry boost you will feel the loss in power and will miss some important OHKOs (Spiritomb is the most notable).</p>

<p>Leaf Blade is Sceptile's main form of attack, dealing massive damage to every Pokémon which doesn't resist it. The second attacking move is up to preference, although the Grass / Rock combo gives the best neutral coverage, being resisted only by Steel-types, while scoring super effective hits on both Fire and Flying-types, such as Moltres and Altaria. Rock Slide also comes with an appealing 30% flinch rate.</p>

<p>SubLiechi Sceptile can be a deadly sweeper if supported correctly. To demonstrate how powerful Leaf Blade is, here are some calculations:</p>

<h3>Damage Calculations</h3>
<pre>
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. min HP / max Def Calm Chansey - 100%
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Impish Torterra - 75.00% - 88.28%
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. max HP / min Def Careful Steelix - 62.99% - 74.58%
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. max HP / min Def Careful Regirock - 100%
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Bold Spiritomb - 92.76% - 109.54%
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Impish Uxie - 69.77% - 82.49%
+3 Overgrow boosted Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Impish Donphan - 100%
</pre>

<p>Since the Grass / Rock combination is completely walled by Registeel, and has troubles with Drapion (and, to a lesser extent, Toxicroak), it's highly recommended to pair this Sceptile with Dugtrio, to trap and eliminate the aforementioned Pokémon before attempting to sweep. Like every other sweeper in the game, this Sceptile highly benefits from Spikes and Stealth Rock support; as an example: two layers of Spikes on the field ensure the OHKO on a max HP / max Def Impish Torterra with Leaf Blade. Finally, given its massive Speed but its frail Defense, Sceptile is often revenge killed by Pokémon like Ambipom and Hitmontop, that have access to powerful priority moves, hence it's suggested to run a bulky Ghost-type like Spiritomb to deal with them.</p>

<p>The EVs on this set are self-explanatory - maximize Speed and Attack to fully utilize Sceptile's physical offensive potential. With a HP IV of 30 you can activate both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow on the third Substitute, because your HP stat is divisible by 4.</p>

Interesting idea for a set. I'll try to work this in to my Sceptile analysis.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/sceptile

[SET]
name: SubLiechi
move 1: Leaf Blade
move 2: Swords Dance
move 4: Rock Slide / Earthquake / Dragon Claw

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to make full use of Sceptile's excellent ability, Overgrow, by abusing its sky-high Speed stat and its aptitude to force switches. Being able to outspeed every Pokémon in its tier, barring Electrode, Swellow and Dugtrio (the latter of which shares the same base Speed with Sceptile), allows Sceptile to sweep effectively late-game without needing to boost its already impressive Speed stat. Substitute forms the crux of this set, allowing Sceptile to disregard status, while also ensuring the activation of both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow. The strategy is very simple: set up a Substitute on a Pokémon which is scared off by Sceptile, (bulky Water- and Ground-types are good examples), Swords Dance while your opponent breaks the Substitute, and proceed to Substitute again until you have activated both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow. If this set is used correctly, then after a single Swords Dance you will be sweeping with +3 attack and a deadly Overgrow-boosted Leaf Blade.</p>

<p>Leaf Blade is Sceptile's main form of attack, dealing massive damage to every Pokémon which doesn't resist it. The second attacking move is up to preference, although the Grass / Rock combo gives the best neutral coverage, being resisted only by Steel-types, while scoring super effective hits on both Fire and Flying-types, such as Moltres and Altaria [eliminated "who often switch into Sceptile"]</p>

<p>SubLiechi Sceptile can be a deadly sweeper if supported correctly. To demonstrate how powerful Leaf Blade is, here are some calculations:</p>

<h3>Damage Calculations</h3>
<pre>
+4 Leaf Blade vs. min HP / max Def Calm Chansey - 100%
+4 Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Impish Torterra - 75.00% - 88.28%
+4 Leaf Blade vs. max HP / min Def Careful Steelix - 62.99% - 74.58%
+4 Leaf Blade vs. max HP / min Def Careful Regirock - 100%
+4 Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Bold Spiritomb - 92.76% - 109.54%
+4 Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Impish Uxie - 69.77% - 82.49%
+4 Leaf Blade vs. max HP / max Def Impish Donphan - 100%
</pre>

<p>Since both the Grass / Rock and the Grass / Dragon combination is completely walled by Registeel, and has troubles with Drapion (and to a lesser extent, Toxicroak), it's highly recommended to pair this Sceptile with Dugtrio, to trap and eliminate the aforementioned Pokémon [the plural of Pokémon is Pokémon, not Pokémons] before attempting to sweep. [The Team Options paragraph needs to be expanded, Registeel is not the only thing that can pose a threat to Sceptile, what about Swellow, who can outspeed and OHKO?</p>

<p>The EVs on this set are self-explanatory - maximize Speed and Attack to fully utilize Sceptile's physical offensive potential. With a HP IV of 30 you can activate both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow on the third Substitute, because your HP stat is divisible by 4.</p>

haunter

Banned deucer.
Thanks Draco Zephyr, I edited the OP with your corrections. About the team options: do I need to list every counter? By the way, Swellow can only revenge kill, but there are some other counters I didn't list, such as Weezing.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/sceptile

[SET]
name: SubLiechi
move 1: Leaf Blade
move 2: Swords Dance
move 4: Rock Slide / Earthquake / Dragon Claw

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to make full use of Sceptile's excellent ability, Overgrow, by abusing its sky-high Speed stat and its aptitude to force switches. Being able to outspeed every Pokémon in its tier(removed comma) barring Electrode, Swellow and Dugtrio (the latter of which shares the same base Speed with Sceptile)(removed comma) allows Sceptile to sweep effectively late-game without needing to boost its already impressive Speed stat. Substitute forms the crux of this set, allowing Sceptile to disregard status, while also ensuring the activation of both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow. The strategy is very simple: set up a Substitute on a Pokémon that is scared off by Sceptile (bulky Water- and Ground-types are good examples), then Swords Dance while your opponent breaks the Substitute, and proceed to Substitute again until you have activated both the Liechi Berry and Overgrow. If this set is used correctly, then after a single Swords Dance you will be sweeping with +3 attack and a deadly Overgrow-boosted Leaf Blade.</p>
You should mention more partners to this set, imo. This set would obviously be great with Spikes support, and it basically requires Stealth Rock as well. Something like Spiritomb could be helpful as well to stop Ambipom and Hitmontop from ruining your fun by using Fake Out to stop your sweep. You're also going to need something to stop Torterra.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As always, I'm skeptical of the use of Dragon-type attacks on Sceptile. The only thing you are hitting is Altaria, which is hit just as hard by Rock Slide. You don't explain the use of Dragon Claw, so I'm assuming it's just there for "coverage". I really don't see the point and personally believe that it should be removed from the set.

I used this set a while back, I switched off with EQ and rock slide and I have to say I really didnt find it effective. Unless I just didnt have proper support I really dont think its worth a slot.

Don't you mean +3 atk on the calculation?
If this set is used correctly, then after a single Swords Dance you will be sweeping with +3 attack and a deadly Overgrow-boosted Leaf Blade.
This might be confusing for some people; thinking SD gives +3 atk. Either remove 'then after a signle Swords Dance', or add SD and a Liechi boost to avoid confusion.

haunter

Banned deucer.
As always, I'm skeptical of the use of Dragon-type attacks on Sceptile. The only thing you are hitting is Altaria, which is hit just as hard by Rock Slide. You don't explain the use of Dragon Claw, so I'm assuming it's just there for "coverage". I really don't see the point and personally believe that it should be removed from the set.
Yes, I added Dragon Claw just for completeness, but it's the less useful option, of course. It hits Altaria for SE damage (and is slightly more powerful than Rock Slide) and Toxicroak for neutral damage, but that's it.

I used this set a while back, I switched off with EQ and rock slide and I have to say I really didnt find it effective. Unless I just didnt have proper support I really dont think its worth a slot.
I've tested this set several times before posting it here, and if you set up it correctly, it works nicely.

Don't you mean +3 atk on the calculation?
You're right, it's not +4, edited.

This might be confusing for some people; thinking SD gives +3 atk. Either remove 'then after a signle Swords Dance', or add SD and a Liechi boost to avoid confusion.
Done.

You should mention more partners to this set, imo. This set would obviously be great with Spikes support, and it basically requires Stealth Rock as well. Something like Spiritomb could be helpful as well to stop Ambipom and Hitmontop from ruining your fun by using Fake Out to stop your sweep. You're also going to need something to stop Torterra.
Added. Torterra seems not a big problem since it must be almost at full health to avoid the OHKO. Thank you.

No, I meant +4, as I wrote. 2 (SD) * 1,5 (Liechi Berry) * 1,5 (Overgrow) = 4,5 (rounded down to 4)
when you have already modified your attack, with swords dance, leichi berry will not give you a 1.5x boost, it will give you a 1.25x boost because +2 atk gives you 2x your original atk and +3 atk gives you 2.5x your original atk, also +4 atk does not give you 4 times the atk power it gives you 3 times the attack power.

Confirming what latios said. Liechi + SD = +3 boost, which is *2.5. Stab + Overgrow + STAB is two *1.5 boosts, so the total thing is 2.5*1.5*1.5, which is *5.625. Rounding doesn't occur here.

Also, Haunter's calcs are right, not latios'. I just went over a few of them on Libelldra to make sure.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Thanks, edited the OP. The calculations were correct though, Tab run them again using Libelldra.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
seconding the removal of Dragon Claw. It literally only hits Altaria, who is destroyed by Rock Slide anyways. Going for neutrality isn't a good idea when, as your calculations show, you arent OHKOing things anyways.

Although Sceptile's Attack stat leaves a little bit to be desired, couldn't a Salac berry be an alternate option? Not only is a +2 Overgrow-boosted Leaf Blade still doing serious damage, there are some common Pokemon that this speed boost allows Sceptile to outrun, such as Swellow. It also keeps you from being revenge killed by a Speed Boost Yanmega using Protect. Lastly, it keeps you safe against more Choice Scarf users including the fairly common Choice Scarf Roserade and Choice Scarf Blaziken. While Liechi gives more power, Salac will ensure that Sceptile is moving first, a huge advantage, especially against more offensive teams. (I guess if you incorporate this the sets name would become sub-berry or something)

The Salac version would appreciate entry hazards very much as it is hitting with less power. Cloyster can supply spikes and spin away hazards that would hinder Sceptile (especially Toxic Spikes). Ground types such as Rhydon can supply Stealth Rock. Both Pokemon have good synergy with Sceptile.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Removed Dragon Claw from the set.

@Friar: yes, salac berry may work too, but without the liechi boost you'll feel the loss in power, missing the ohko on Spiritomb, and having no chance to eliminate Torterra (neither with some spikes on the field). Any other opinion on salac? Should I list it as an option?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
@Haunter: I would give Salac Berry a mention in the set comments, but Liechi is pretty much mandatory for this set because of Sceptile's bad Atk stat.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just posting to mention that you should just make a mention of Rock Slide's additional utility with its 30% flinch chance. When I was running this, I would sometimes Sub on the opponent switch and then Rock Slide twice instead of SD + Rock Slide, just because (without accuracy) I had a higher chance of flinching them once than not.

It really came in useful when using this for a long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)