1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sceptile's Superior Squad of Slicing Sweepers

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by EmeraldEnchanter, Mar 31, 2013.

1. EmeraldEnchanter

EmeraldEnchanter

I've mostly been an OU player but that got kinda boring after a while I went to investigate the other tiers. For a long time Sceptile has been my favorite pokemon but I never thought it was very good. As such you can imagine my joy and surprise when I looked at the viability ranking's and saw Sceptile at S rank. His S status wasn't even questioned! So I did a bit more research and rushed off to build a team around him. His main partner in crime is Nidoqueen who can cover a lot of weaknesses. I then added Aerodactyl for rock attacks and SR. I threw in Venomoth to pass QD's to either Tile or Nido. I threw in Rotom for spin-blocking and to cover my Hitmonlee weakness. I then put in Moltres as another sweeper and a counter to grass and bug types. Also it should be noted that this team is on PO so the tier is a little different. Anyways on with the team

Sceptile @ Petaya Berry
    Trait: Unburden
    Evs: 4 hp 252 SpA 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Hidden Power (Rock)
    ~ Substitute

His stategy is to use substitute to whittle down his health so he can nab the petaya boost and then snag an unburden boost. Giga Drain can then restore his health with Focus Blast and Hidden Power blasting mon's who resist his STAB. After Petaya he hits 400 SpA and 700 Spe while with a QD he hits 600 SpA and 1100 Spe. He kills whole teams once his counters are down. I will not replace this pokemon.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Evs: 4 HP 252 SpA 252 Spe
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Earth Power

For a SpA as crap as Nidoqueens I'm surprised she can deal any damage let alone lethal damage. And yet her attacks kill everything. She has the infamous BoltBeam while also packing Flamethrower and her main STAB move Earth Power. A lot of Sceptile's counters are stopped dead in their tracks by Nidoqueen. She can receive a QD boost if their pokemon is threatening to Sceptile and sweep a little more shakily due to her lower power but her increased coverage helps a ton. Should I use Timid or Modest?

Aerodactyl @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Pressure
    Evs: 4 hp 252 Atk 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    ~ Taunt
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stealth Rock

My main lead. Since they usually start with a SR setter I taunt them, set up my own Rocks deal damage and die. That's all I really use him for except for the occasional SE. Generally he is great at getting my rocks up, preventing their rocks and usually dealing around 50% to their lead before dying which invites my next Mon to abuse their low HP.

Rotom @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    Evs: 4 Hp 252 SpA 252 Spe
    ~ Will-o-Wisp
    ~ Pain Split
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Shadow Ball

He burns stuff. He also Volt switches to kill Low HP guys and switch to my Mon of choice. He has a surprisingly long life with pain split and leftovers keeping him healthy. His style of offensive stall is wonderful and he checks many normal and fighting types and even other ghost's. Plus he walls Hitmonlee which can otherwise dent my team. His main problem is not being able to beat Cryo 1 on 1 but he can leave it a 20% with a burn which is rather easy to kill.

Venomoth @ Leftovers
    Trait: Wonder Skin
    Evs: 252 HP 4 Def 252 Spe
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Quiver Dance
    ~ Baton Pass

You've all seen this before. Put em to sleep Quiver dance once or twice. Pass to Tile/Nido/Tres. Only difference is substitute. That makes the transfer smoother so I can't be killed on the pass. It's pretty useful but I'm open to changing it.

Moltres @ IDK what to put here. Any ideas?
    Trait: Pressure
    Evs: 4 Hp 252 SpA 252 Spe
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Hurricane
    ~ Hidden Power (Water)

A powerful counter to any Bug or Grass. Substitute makes sure that a miss isn't to costly and with 70 and 85 accuracy that is very good. HP water get's around rock types and can be a nice accurate move for mon's at low health. Nothing much here just some coverage moves and another offensive option.

Threats:​
    Meloetta kicks my ass every time. If it doesn't kill me it's teammate probably will. Clefable are also dangerous as they can set up cosmic power and are immune to Will-o-wisp. They can be downed by a +6 Sceptile but I generally can't get that many quiver dances to him.
  2. dcae

dcae naughty list

You have all special attackers, which is why you would have trouble with Clrfable and specially defensive pokes. Thus I would propose the immensely threatening SD Sceptile. With Acrobatics, Leaf Blade, Flying Gem, Swords Dance, and your pick for coverage move. By running an Adamantnature you can boost your attack sky high and with the use of Acrobatics, hit incredible speed. This set wrecks teams without priority to bring him down. This set beats the special walls that wall your entire team right now. On Nidoqeen run Modest, the extra power is very useful. You aren't speeding much with Timid. Also, I would try running Roost on Moltres, which would increase survivability due to your lack of a spinner. SubRoost is a very threatening set, and your other pokes cover Rock types that wall it a bit.
  3. EmeraldEnchanter

EmeraldEnchanter

I'll take the Moltres suggestion but not the sceptile one. The whole point is that he is a Special Attacker. I do want a physical attacker. Maybe something over Moltres?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)