move 1: Bullet Punch
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Defog
move 4: Roost / Pursuit
ability: Technician
item: Leftovers / Scizornite
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD

Maybe a set like that? Great utility Pokemon since it can scout, revenge kill, Defog, and Pursuit-trap if you opt for it. The MegaEvo's extra bulk and power might be worthwhile if you don't have anything better to use for your slot.

Oh wow, I forgot this thing learned Defog. Scizor was already a good utility for offensive teams before, what with its Technician Bullet Punch (and even Quick Attack, if you ran that), Pursuit, great defensive typing, and powerful STAB U-turn. Not only did XY give it a new job as a Fairy killer with its Steel STAB, but now it gets a buffed Defog to pseudo-spin. If I had to guess, I'd say Scizor will probably retain its #1 spot and then some.

Why not just use a team mate that can deal with Aegislash and let Scizor do what he does best? I don't understand what's so important about dealing with one specific Pokemon. Besides, even running Knock Off doesn't really counter Aegislash, I don't see what you're trying to say.
Run a Set with SD / Bug Bite / Bullet Punch / Knock Off

Not only will it be able to get by Aegislash, it will now be able to get by Jellicent, who walled and wisped it. Also, Knock off can know hit steel types so the drop of Super Power seems unnecessary.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just gonna copy and paste my posts from the assault vest thread:

This guy:

Fuck Mega Evo's.

To me, Scizor looks to be a major benefactor. If there is one Stat Scizor has always wished it had more of, it's: Special Defense

Afterall, Scizor has always been jealous of how TTar's bulk allowed it to effectively trap their mutual prey, and finally there is a way for it to enhance that beyond just throwing all its EV's in bulk. This should vastly improve Scizor's abilities as a trapper. Now with the whole range of potential between Adamant CB full attack all the way to Careful, bulky Assault Vest, fleety foes will have a lot more trouble figuring out where Scizor's bulk-power ratio lies. Careful Choice Band (more efficient stat wise) and Adamant Assault Vest (allows freedom of attack switching) just add more complexity and problems for Scizor's targets.

Moreover, Scizor is one of the few bulky offensive Pokemon who regularly uses 4 attacks-- Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Bug Bite, Pursuit, Superpower, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace... Scizor is not without good options for an Assault Vest set. It will probably be one of the item's most common users.
^You're not getting the point. Imagine being Latios, Latias, Alakazam, or Starmie facing down an Assault Vest Scizor with Pursuit. Roost is totally useless and besides the point in the context of Scizor as a trapper.

Now, Scizor has not 2 but 3 main destructive roles:

Choice Banded Wall breaker / Sweeper

LO / Leftovers SD Sweeper (that can also user Roost)

Assault Vest Pursuit Trapper

Plus, all of these sets have overlapping roles and utility, so Scizor can EV and adjust itself to fall anywhere between these 3 main roles. This add tremendous diversity to its abilities. Plus, Assault Vest comes with the bonus of being initially very difficult to differentiate from Choice items (until you notice damage differences).
I just posted those stats to show what Scizor is capable of-- I don't think it'll be the most optimal option. However, between Careful, Adamant, EVs, Assault Vest and CB, Scizor has a LOT of options as a trapper. I think with proper modification, it can be modified to reliably switch into, trap and kill almost everything on this list:

(Probably wants Assault Vest to trap)
-Alakazam
-Gengar
-Latios
-Starmie
-Latias
-Jirachi
(Probably wants CB to trap)

In order of frail and powerful (needing more bulk investment and requiring less power to bring down reliably) to bulky and weak (needing more power and requiring less bulk to reliably bring down). And remember, this is just considering Pursuit as a 100% check mate. Even a weaker careful Scizor can destroy Latias with U-Turn if it stays in to defend against Pursuit. Even a frailer CB Scizor can destroy Gengar if it uses Bullet Punch while Gengar expects it to use Pursuit. The point is that Scizor's trapping abilities have been incredibly diversified, and it's extremely stealthy with a lot of room for customization.

I'm sure someone will find a sweet spot between power and bulk that just destroys a majority of that list.
Assault Vest will open whole new doors for Scizor as a trapper.

So Scizor's now got:

-CB Wall Breaker / Revenge Killer
-SD Sweeper
-AV Trapper (and CB trapper)
-Defog Utility

Four roles. DAMN
It wasn't super obvious initially, but Scizor is going to be REALLY popular this generation. After some rounds of stabilizing bands, it wouldn't surprise me if Scizor took the #1 usage spot again in OU-- by perhaps an even bigger margin.

252+ Atk Choice Band (custom) (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (custom): 328-388 (101.23 - 119.75%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Heh, CB double power knockoff ohko's non impish/bold Aegislash and cofagrigus.

Not one of the best Mega evos, I don't think it's going to increase Megazor's presence that much, but I do agree that it brings in new options and will be maybe treated as a different sort of different type of threat to regular Scizor. I like the unpredictability it will bring.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Scizor does bulky Swords Dance sets better than Scizor. So Mega Scizor is a straight up improvement to one of the existing Scizor sets. Mega Scizor could also be the Scizor of choice for utility sets with Defog and Roost, both moves that Assault Vest Scizor can't use.

Hail Scizor, the Kyogre of 6th gen's OU!!!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't really trash Mega Scizor too hard. One thing that's very impressive is that it gets a pretty nice bulk change. It actually makes bulky Swords Dance set pretty strong, and I'm sure even the offensive sets don't mind the extra bulk in exchange for a little bit of power. The Speed boost also helps against Speed creep.

Also, while Assault Vest Scizor loses out on Roost - it's probably one of the better revenge switch-ins to Mega Gengar. This is especially true with the Careful bulky Scizor.

For example, Careful Scizor with Assault Vest takes 28.4% - 33.6% from Timid Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball. Considering Steel lost its resist to Steel, that's not bad at all.

And if you really want to shit bricks:

supermarth64 i did 252/216
supermarth64 439 Atk vs 412 Def & 344 HP (60 Base Power): 184 - 220 (53.49% - 63.95%)

That's Hidden Power Fire from Mega Gengar.

Fuck. Yes.

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Nature: Careful
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Brick Break

Wish pass support OP.

Last edited:

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I find all variants of SD scizor to be played better with a Scizorite, im pretty sure everything in the Bulky variant has been covered already, but taking the Offensive one, imma explain why i think this set is played better as M-Scizor:

- Lets take the standard moveset: Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Superpower / Acrobatics. The main reason i see people giving to use standard Scizor over the Mega version is due to its ability to use Acrobatics, now, as M-Scizor, a different moveset, more traditional: SD/ BP/ Bug Bite OR Night Slash/ SUper Power OR Night Slash. The only reason Night slash should ever be used is due to Jellicent, but standard offensive SD scizor suffers those problems and more, Acrobatics is a move that was originally used to support partner physical sweepers, weakening opposing walls, plus, if Acro Sciz is being used as an actual sweeper, the better Jelli set, Physically defensive, isnt being broke by the standard offensive SD, and LO takes its toll if Acro isnt used.

- The newfound bulk M Scizor has gives him much mroe opportunity at setting up and taking opposing priority, but, one of the mayor benefits in M-Scizor people forgot: Admant outspeeds Timid Magnezone. Unless we are predicting Scarf Zone to be a thing in XY OU then this is a huge change, and i dont think i need to explain why.

I know im probably hyping up Mega Sciz, and dont get me wrong, i still think regular Scizor is going to be the standard we are gonna be seeing, but in my opinion, all SD sets , and sets such as the aforementioned utility are better played with a Scizorite. I like the Assault Vest set and the mind games that can be played with it. Overall, i think Scizor gained much more from the Generation sitch than he lost, and hes gonna break a record with #1 in the usage stats for 3 generations straight.

Either way, Scizor and I think even its Mega form will have a huge impact once again in OU and Ubers. Fun times for Scizor fans like me!
So I see you post around a lot with pretty good info, and I have a question for you semi regarding Scizor. I plan on using YZard and so I really need Defog, I was planning to run it on Scizor but I really really like this Assault Vest idea for him instead. I also plan on using either Tyrantrum or Gyarados, any idea who I should run Defog on in that case? Any mons you think would work really well in that core? Maybe Crobat? Or should I forget about AV and run it on Scizor?

I realize this isn't really a question about Scizor and it's a bit off topic, if it's an issue I can delete the post and message you instead. But what I'm basically asking is what pokemon go well with AV Scizor, and are there any good options for Defog?

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why thank you for the compliment.

I think that's a question best suited for PM / Defog thread, but I can twist to make it relatable to Scizor.

If you seriously plan on Defog and YZard, I don't think Scizor is a good Defog user. Arguably, others like Flygon or Lati twins are better since they resist Fire moves under harsh sunlight. XZard and Scizor is okay - being able to take opponent's Dragon-type moves as well helps.

Overall, a lot of it depends heavily on team composition as well. Dont forget that.

Why thank you for the compliment.

I think that's a question best suited for PM / Defog thread, but I can twist to make it relatable to Scizor.

If you seriously plan on Defog and YZard, I don't think Scizor is a good Defog user. Arguably, others like Flygon or Lati twins are better since they resist Fire moves under harsh sunlight. XZard and Scizor is okay - being able to take opponent's Dragon-type moves as well helps.

Overall, a lot of it depends heavily on team composition as well. Dont forget that.
Thanks, I have a few other questions but these I will PM to you since they really have nothing to do with Scizor haha.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that I want to do two things.
1. I want to run Mega Scizor.
2. I want it to have U-turn.

If we take those as given, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to run Swords Dance. My question is, what fourth move and EV spread should be used on a bulky Mega Scizor that doesn't have Swords Dance? (U-turn/Bullet Punch/Roost/??)

If we take those as given, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to run Swords Dance. My question is, what fourth move and EV spread should be used on a bulky Mega Scizor that doesn't have Swords Dance? (U-turn/Bullet Punch/Roost/??)
Maybe Superpower?

If you don't want to run swords dance, don't use mega scizor. It is inferior otherwise.

I want to run Mega Scizor without Swords Dance, because I think U-turn is good. Can we take that as a given for a moment? It's certainly offensively inferior, but much bulkier. That's a tradeoff I'm interested in, and if we can consider it for a moment, I was hoping to get other people's creative energies without getting bogged down in an argument of "Mega Scizor may only ever be used with Swords Dance or ye shall perish screaming in the flames of Heatran".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)