Pokémon Scizor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Choice Band Scizor function at all in OU without Pokebank? I really miss Superpower and Brick Break doesn't really cut it as a replacement, unless I'm missing some obvious move is there any reason at all to go CB over bulky SD until Pokebank comes out?

My only problem with Mega Scizor is that he generally functions much like regular Scizor. It seems odd to use up your 1 mega evolution slot on it when Scizor is still perfectly viable on it's own. It is strange that they didn't give the mega anything to really differentiate it from the regular. No new typing, no new ability, no new anything. Just my opinion, but a few base stat boosts does not justify it.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My only problem with Mega Scizor is that he generally functions much like regular Scizor. It seems odd to use up your 1 mega evolution slot on it when Scizor is still perfectly viable on it's own. It is strange that they didn't give the mega anything to really differentiate it from the regular. No new typing, no new ability, no new anything. Just my opinion, but a few base stat boosts does not justify it.
Being bulkier is pretty huge.

Predictability is one thing that it has on it's un-mega'd counterpart. If scizor is leading it 9 times out of 10 is CB'd and about to U-turn. If scizor switches in on something that can't dent it, it's going to use swords dance. With mega-scizor you never know what it's going to do since it can run with both due to not being limited by it's item.
Running U-Turn and Swords Dance on one set doesn't make any sense.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Assault Vest Scizor can be better for trapping roles and stuff. I believe the best / (only) role Mega-Scizor performs better than regular Scizor is bulky Swords Dance, with or without Roost.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Running U-Turn and Swords Dance on one set doesn't make any sense.
It's pretty useful in ubers beta for scouting since brick break kinda sucks and uturn helps with prediction. Scizor lacks the ability to beat yveltal nor aegis so it helps to inflict some damage to them and then switch to an appropriate check.

Being bulkier is pretty huge.
I've always ran a special defensive Scizor and it has worked well for me in the past. Scizor is bulky enough as it is. Scizor's main problem was that it was forced to switch to avoid fire blasts. Mega Scizor has the same problem. Most of the other megas have unique play styles that set them apart from other pokemon. Mega Scizor doesn't.

eh you misread my post, those are 2 different scizors. Obviously you don't have a CB'd scizor with swords dance rofl
I'm aware that you were talking about two different regular Scizors, but there aren't a whole lot of options Mega Scizor has that regular Scizor doesn't.

I'm just sayin' you could lead with mega scizor and when they expect the CB'D u-turn instead you mega evolve and set up with swords dance. it has a bit of a surprise factor

This has been bothering me but how can you get Defog on a Scyther? I've racking my brain on this, can anybody shed some light on this for me?

This has been bothering me but how can you get Defog on a Scyther? I've racking my brain on this, can anybody shed some light on this for me?
According to Bulbapedia, through breeding... but also according to Bulbapedia, at least until Gen V none of those possible parents could learn Defog outside of the DPP HM

As far as I know it has been debunked, I honestly would prefer Thief (gets the Technichian boost at 60BP) to just hit the sword hard. Possibly, you could even use Dark Gem + Thief to be a troll to the sword or whatever your opponent tries to counter you with--hit boosted and steal their leftovers.

EDIT: Also, is there a possible EV spread for Megazor(d) that lets it handle MegaGar (and tank a shadow ball, then SD)?
The standard bulky swords dance set easily avoids the 3HKO from Timid Mega Gengar.

Since superpower isn't available until bank wouldn't rock smash be somewhat viable on CB sets, or is there something besides brick break I can use? Honestly BB isn't rely cutting it. :/

Since superpower isn't available until bank wouldn't rock smash be somewhat viable on CB sets, or is there something besides brick break I can use? Honestly BB isn't rely cutting it. :/
Smash is outclassed by BB by a long shot (and anything for that matter). Frankly, CB Scizor is becoming less and less useful with Aegislash ruining its day.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that MegaZor (especially the bulky variant) serves one niche over regular Scizor--a bulky Fairy counter. I mean really, what fairy can handle the robo-bug SDing in its face and taking any special hit for days? Togekiss? Para does nothing and its BP'ed in the face. Same for Florges and Sylveon. Klefki? ANYTHING can come in on it so long as it has the remotest of bulk, so scizor has no concern. Clefable? Yeah it can Fire Blast...after a potential BP to the face (and possible OHKO).

In short, if you want to kill fairies but do not want MegaGengar--scizor's your man (though both HATE Aegislash).

Last edited:
So playing around with EV spread ideas for MegaZor running, not sure if anyone has got anything specific for it yet:

Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Roost

Something like:
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD

Against MegaGengar (Assuming Timid Nature):
80+ Atk Technician Scizor-M Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar-M: 172-204 (65.64 - 77.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (No switch)
80+ Atk Scizor-M Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar-M: 230-272 (87.78 - 103.81%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (On the Switch)
252 SpA Gengar-M Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Scizor-M: 136-160 (39.53 - 46.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (30.47% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

It can go down to 100 SpD Evs and still avoid a 2HKO from MegaGengar, as well as 244 to avoid the 2HKO after Rocks. Presuming I did the calcs right. Going to either extreme I guess runs the risk of either not being bluky enough to make this set worth it, or not having enough power to sweep that well. Someone else could probably answer that better.

I think the numbers are about the same for Togekiss. Not sure what else is relevant right now.

One of bulky mega Scizor's biggest problems this generation is Talonflame. The following set gets completely walled by Talonflame:

Swords Dance
Roost
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor/Pursuit/Night Slash/Fury Cutter

I was wondering what you guys think about this set, which can OHKO talonflame at +4 (granted 2 swords dances is being rather generous):

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack

+4 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 196 HP / 0 Def (custom): 321-378 (97.27 - 114.54%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO

I think Ferrothorn is a problem with this set though.

So playing around with EV spread ideas for MegaZor running, not sure if anyone has got anything specific for it yet:

Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-Roost

Something like:
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpD

Against MegaGengar (Assuming Timid Nature):
80+ Atk Technician Scizor-M Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar-M: 172-204 (65.64 - 77.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (No switch)
80+ Atk Scizor-M Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar-M: 230-272 (87.78 - 103.81%) -- 25% chance to OHKO (On the Switch)
252 SpA Gengar-M Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 176 SpD Scizor-M: 136-160 (39.53 - 46.51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (30.47% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

It can go down to 100 SpD Evs and still avoid a 2HKO from MegaGengar, as well as 244 to avoid the 2HKO after Rocks. Presuming I did the calcs right. Going to either extreme I guess runs the risk of either not being bluky enough to make this set worth it, or not having enough power to sweep that well. Someone else could probably answer that better.

I think the numbers are about the same for Togekiss. Not sure what else is relevant right now.
That's the exact moveset nature I've been running. Having trouble settling on EV's.

One of bulky mega Scizor's biggest problems this generation is Talonflame. The following set gets completely walled by Talonflame:

Swords Dance
Roost
Bullet Punch
X-Scissor/Pursuit/Night Slash/Fury Cutter

I was wondering what you guys think about this set, which can OHKO talonflame at +4 (granted 2 swords dances is being rather generous):

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack

+4 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Quick Attack vs. 196 HP / 0 Def (custom): 321-378 (97.27 - 114.54%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO

I think Ferrothorn is a problem with this set though.
To be honest, I think you should just let MegaZor do what he does best. That is, countering Fairies. I'd recommend having a separate mon that can counter Talonflame, since as you said, +2 is pretty generous. May I recommend Greninja or Azumarill?

^I think Rotom-W works better as a Scizor partner. Rotom-W has better synergy with Scizor than Greninja or Azumarill, and it also handles Talonflame much easier. Also, both of them can form a Volt-Turn combo as an added bonus.

^I think Rotom-W works better as a Scizor partner. Rotom-W has better synergy with Scizor than Greninja or Azumarill, and it also handles Talonflame much easier. Also, both of them can form a Volt-Turn combo as an added bonus.
Ahhh, very true! I had forgotten about Rotom-W...

It's pretty useful in ubers beta for scouting since brick break kinda sucks and uturn helps with prediction. Scizor lacks the ability to beat yveltal nor aegis so it helps to inflict some damage to them and then switch to an appropriate check.
And of course if you aren't using any other megas on an uber team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)