Ubers Scizor

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode

Overview
########
Scizor is a useful Pokemon in the Ubers metagame; it is very capable of checking Xerneas, a key threat, through the use of its strong, super effective priority in the form of Bullet Punch. It possesses a lot of utility for more defensive teams, as it is capable of checking Mega Gengar with Pursuit and Bullet Punch. It also has an useful Mega Evolution, which is a bit bulkier and slightly faster while retaining its offensive capabilities. However, the prominence of Ho-Oh and the birth of Mega Blaziken are significant drawbacks for Scizor, as is its loss of its Dark and Ghost resistances. Overall, despite its clear weaknesses, its strong typing and utility give Scizor a meaningful place in the metagame.

Support
########
move 1: Bullet Punch
move 2: Roost
move 3: Superpower / Pursuit
move 4: U-turn / Toxic / Knock Off
ability: Light Metal
item: Scizorite
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Bullet Punch does at least 54% to bulky Geomancy Xerneas. Roost provides consistent recovery. Superpower deals heavy damage to Extreme Killer Arceus and Chansey, while Pursuit gives Scizor the opportunity to handle Mega Gengar, though for this, Scizor should run the specially defensive spread mentioned in Set Details. U-turn and Toxic are both useful moves for hitting opposing switch-ins; Toxic is especially useful for handling Calm Mind Arceus formes. Knock Off removes foes' items. Defog, while not listed, is a fantastic support move that Mega Scizor can use, but it may struggle with pulling it off against more offensive teams. Scizor can rarely afford the moveslot to run Swords Dance, but it can help to Pursuit trap Aegislash and also clean up late-game.

Set Details
========

Light Metal is used to reduce the power of the rare Low Kick or Grass Knot that Scizor switches into, since when it Mega Evolves, it regains Technician anyway. It is also useful when Ditto switches in before Scizor, as it is left without the boost of Technician. It is difficult to bluff a Choice Band set with Technician since there is such a drop in power, so Light Metal is generally the most useful. A spread of 248 HP / 16 Atk / 116 Def / 128 SpD with an Adamant nature can be used as an exchange of power for bulk without losing the ability to check Xerneas and Extreme Killer Arceus sufficiently. A spread of 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD with an Adamant nature is still capable of almost always 2HKOing standard Geomancy Xerneas, but because of the increased special bulk, it is the recommended spread for trapping Mega Gengar. It should also be noted that it can deal at least 54% to bulky Extreme Killer Arceus with Superpower. 248 HP EVs reduces the damage taken from Stealth Rock by Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Unless Scizor is using a specially defensive spread, but it can still have difficulty switching directly into Xerneas, but can deal significant damage to it before being attacked. The main spread can deal a minimum of about 57% to standard Geomancy Xerneas. If possible, you should inflict prior damage upon Xerneas in order to bring it into the KO range of Scizor's Bullet Punch. Likewise, Extreme Killer Arceus should be brought into the KO range for Scizor's Superpower; the main spread can deal at least 63% to bulky Extreme Killer Arceus whilst doing at least 71% to offensive Extreme Killer Arceus. When using Scizor to trap Mega Gengar, it in general works best when double switched into it, and must be wary of Hidden Power Fire as well as Destiny Bond. Bullet Punch can also be used to revenge kill heavily weakened Pokemon. Scizor has few other opportunities to come in against offensively oriented teams, whilst against less offensive teams it should use any free turns to disrupt the foe.

Team Options
========

Choice Scarf Zekrom pairs nicely with Scizor, as it can take care of Ho-Oh and Kyogre, whilst Mega Scizor checks both Extreme Killer Arceus and Xerneas, and they also can form a VoltTurn core. For a team relying on it to Pursuit trap Mega Gengar, options that require that form of support, such as defensive Xerneas, pair well with it. Other teammates that can handle Fire-types and other threats that get a free switch on Scizor, such as Kyogre, are ideal. You should also carry a second check to Geomancy Xerneas, such as Ho-Oh, if you are using Scizor to Pursuit trap Mega Gengar, should you lose it to Destiny Bond.

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 2: Superpower
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Knock Off
ability: Technician
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def

Moves
========

Bullet Punch allows Scizor to check Xerneas and revenge kill weakened threats. Superpower allows it to heavily damage Extreme Killer Arceus, as well as other Pokemon that are weak to Fighting-type attacks, such as Blissey, Mega Kangaskhan, and Rock Arceus. U-turn and Knock Off are for gaining momentum and disrupting switch-ins. Pursuit is an option for trapping opponents, primarily Mega Gengar, but Scizor doesn't enjoy being locked into it, and it is subservient to the previous set at performing this role.

Set Details
========

Choice Band gives Scizor a lot of power. It is guaranteed to 2HKO most variants of Xerneas with Bullet Punch. The defensive EVs allow it to not be OHKOed by Jolly Life Orb +2 Extreme Killer Arceus's Earthquake after a switch into Stealth Rock from full health. A spread of 248 HP / 20 Atk / 48 Def / 192 SpD and a Careful nature can take Focus Blast, or even a Hidden Power Fire in the rain, from Xerneas after a Geomancy boost and 2 Stealth Rocks, whilst still hitting hard. 248 HP EVs reduce Stealth Rock damage.

Usage Tips
========

Unless using the bulkier spread, this set struggles to switch in on opposing Xerneas and still requires some prior damage to defeat it; however, it can deal a minimum of 75% to Geomancy Xerneas with Bullet Punch. Superpower deals a minimum of 83% to bulky Extreme Killer Arceus. It tends to not switch in during many other parts of the game due to its relative frailty, especially since it requires the bulk it does have to defeat certain threats. Bullet Punch can also be used for revenge killing. Knock Off and U-turn allow Scizor to disrupt more defensive teams.

Team Options
========

The best Pokemon to pair with Scizor are those that can check Pokemon that obtain a free switch on it, such as Ho-Oh and Kyogre. Because of this, Pokemon such as Palkia and Zekrom pair well with it, as they are able to come in on some of these Pokemon and threaten them. Zekrom forms a VoltTurn core with Scizor, which is of great benefit to a team for the momentum it can provide.

Other Options
########

Thanks to Technician, Bug Bite is a stronger Bug-type STAB than U-turn. Tailwind is quite gimmicky, but in combination with U-turn, it could be quite powerful, providing sweeping opportunities for teammates. Lum Berry is also an option to soak up a Will-O-Wisp. Assault Vest could be used, but the drop in damage output is significant. Baton Pass is an option, but it suits very few players or teams. Thief deserves a small mention for its consistency, and for being stronger than Knock Off against Mega Evolutions and Arceus formes (factoring in the boost from Technician), most particularly Arceus-Ghost. Finally, Counter deserves a mention, as it is more reliable against Extreme Killer Arceus if it attacks with a physical attack.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire types**: Ho-Oh is a particularly potent threat, although it dislikes Knock Off and Toxic, while other users of Fire-type attacks such as Blaziken and Mega Charizard X can find opportunities to set up against Scizor.

**Physically Bulky Pokemon**: Rocky Helmet Skarmory punishes U-turn spam, and if Scizor doesn't carry Defog, Skarmory can set up Spikes on it. Aegislash hates Knock Off, Swords Dance, and Pursuit, but it is otherwise a solid check. Landorus-T and Gyarados fear only Toxic and Knock Off, whilst Gliscor fears nothing from Scizor and can also Taunt it. Mega-Aggron laughs at anything that Scizor tries to do.

**Will-O-Wisp**: Support Arceus formes and Giratina can burn Scizor, neutering it, although cleric support can remedy this.

**Kyogre**: Physically defensive Kyogre doesn't care about Scizor, whilst other sets only mind Toxic, Knock Off, and U-turn.

**Thundurus**: Thundurus can use Taunt to stop Roost and Defog, whilst hitting hard with an unresisted Electric-type STAB attack, although it dislikes taking too many hits from Scizor.

**Forretress**: Forretress doesn't mind Scizor's attacks and can set up hazards unless Scizor carries Defog, although it dislikes Knock Off.

**Fire-type Attacks**: Other Fire-type attack users include Genesect, Palkia, and Dialga, which can use powerful Fire-type attacks to destroy Scizor. Hidden Power Fire and Overheat from unexpected Pokemon, such as Mega Gengar, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Xerneas, can really cause it trouble.

**Zekrom**: Zekrom can 2HKO Scizor but fears Toxic and Knock Off. It also dislikes taking U-turns.

Overview
########
- Beats Xern
- Checks m-gengar
- M-evo
- Ho-oh sucks, especially with more defog about
- M-blaze sucks too
- No more dark/ghost resist
- Clear weaknesses but strong typing and offensive utility give it a niche

Support
########
name: Support
move 2: Roost
move 3: Superpower
move 4: U-turn / Toxic / Knock Off
ability: Light Metal
item: Scizorite
evs: 248 hp / 252 attack / 8 spdef

Moves
========

- Bullet Punch very strong vs Xern, deals at least 54%
- Roost provides healing
- U-turn makes it a good pivot.
- Superpower deals heavy damage to ekiller and Chansey
- Pursuit checks m-gengar
- Toxic spreads status on switch-ins
- defog supports team
- Knock Off powerful and disruptive.
- Sword Dance usable, better vs aegilash.

Set Details
========

- Light Metal cos ditto, and far too weak to bluff band with technician.
- Additional spread of 248 HP / 60 Atk / 72 Def / 128 SpD and Impish better for Xern worse for ekiller. Gets 2HKO on Xern after SR, and survives +2 Foc Blast after SR. Rest into Def.
- 248 HP / 60 Atk / 200 SpD Careful also listed as best set versus Xerneas, but not as good vs ekiller.

Usage Tips
========

- Give Xern prior damage
- Roost, U-turn, Knock Off, Defog and Toxic are useful to use in free turns
- Pursuit after coming in on the turn it megavolves.
- Superpower allows you to check ekiller and chansey whilst they set up or support their team; needs ekiller to be in 60-70% range max to handle it

Team Options
========

- Supports team, not supported by it generally
- Scarf Zekrom takes care of Ho-oh and Kyogre, whilst Mega-Scizor checks both ekiller and Xerneas, and they also form a volt-turn core.
- Second ekiller check
- Second Xern check of some sort if using pursuit to counter m-gengar

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 2: Pursuit / Knock Off
move 3: Superpower
move 4: U-turn
ability: Technician
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 HP / 248 Atk /12 Def

Moves
========

- Bullet Punch to check xerneas, but beware HP Fire
- Pursuit to check mega-gengar, but beware destiny bond, requires strong prediction.
- Superpower for ekiller and chansey
- U-turn secondary STAB for momentum
- Knock Off messes with items and is powerful

Set Details
========

- Choice Band strong.
- Check all ekiller bar adamant LO earthquake only when SR is up
- Alternative 248 HP / 56 Atk / 12 Def / 192 SpD Careful gets:
- Guaranteed 2HKO w/ bp vs 0 HP / 152 Def Xerneas and Mega-Gengar
- EVs for bulk.
- Still checks same ekillers
- Sp Def EVs allow it to take on GeoXern's Focus Miss once + SR twice

Usage Tips
========

- Switch it in vs gengar before mvolving, then Pursuit
- Can come in on Geomancy from Xern, or after.
- U-turn for momentum
- Knock Off instead can mess with switch-ins items
- Superpower ekiller/chansey

Team Options
========

- Second ekiller check
- C&Cs to blaze/hooh
- For offensively inclinced teams that want an extra check to ekiller/counter to xern/check to m-gengar
- If used to check m-gengar carry an extra Xern check

Other Options
########

- Bug Bite
- Tailwind + U-turn
- Lum Berry
- Assault Vest

Checks & Counters
########

- Ho-oh!
- Fire attack users and Blaze/Zard X can set up too
- Rocky Helmet Skarmory punishes U-Turn spam + spikes
- Aegilash but hates SD and knock off
- Gira-A hate knock off
- Lando-T + Gliscor fears nothing, can taunt
- Gyarados
- M-aggron
- Physically Defensive Kyogre, tho any are strong much
- Thundurus makes life difficult and can taunt to stop roost/defog
- forry + klefki dislikes superpower but can spike
- Will-o-Wisp
- Genesect pretty decent
- Zekrom can 2HKO but fears toxic/knock off

Last edited:
Overview:

The ordering of your sentences is odd. Move "Defog making hazard removal easier has left ho-oh a lot more room to breathe however, and other threats such as kyogre and blaziken are still major players in the tier" after the sentence about Scizor being granted a megaevolution and explicitly mention the increased presence of Ho-Oh (and birth of Mega Blaziken) as drawbacks. After this, conclude with a sentence or two about how Scizor's utility and typing gives it a place in the Ubers metagame.

Mega Offensive Support:

Awkward title, try to rephrase this (maybe just call it "support"). This should be the first set as it checks the same stuff that Choice Band does while offering far more utility in general. I don't really agree with the options in the listed set as Pursuit should only be used if you are really weak to Mega Gengar. Mega Scizor's usefulness goes far past that, being able to loosely check both Xerneas and EKiller with the same set. I would use Bullet Punch / U-Turn / Roost and Toxic slashed with Superpower, in that order (thought QC members?). Move Swords Dance to Other Options, it's almost as bad as SD Aegislash (which is an embarrassment to itself and its family). In set details, briefly explain why you chose the given EVs. What moves are you trying to avoid being OHKOd or 2HKOd by? Mention in Usage Tips that Toxic is often a good play if the opponent's most likely switchin (something like Ho-Oh or Groudon) is impossible for Scizor to deal with offensive but can cripple with status. There's nothing wrong with using U-Turn instead of Toxic if you have a teammate like fast Choice Specs Kyogre to punish switches though! In Other Options, you can repeat a good number of teammates from the Choice Band Scizor set while keeping the stuff about Pursuit dealing with Mega Gengar for defensive teams, if you choose to run it (keep this brief). Also, PLEASE move Defog here, I know Mega Scizor can be Taunted vs. dedicated Sticky Web/Hazards teams and has bad 4MSS as is, but Defog is too good a move to not list here and it's not like Scizor will be that hard pressed to find opportunities to use it.

Choice Band:

I have zero experience using this, so I am not in a good position to comment much on it. From what I can see you did a good job here, especially with the Set Details.

Other Options:

Remove the HP Rock / Quiet mention, because you still lose to Ho-Oh if Stealth Rock isn't up...even if you predict the switch! That isn't even worth a mention in Other Options, it just sounds like something Trickroom or Shrang would use to destroy the ladder. Brick Break is also way too weak to be mentioned, though Bug Bite and especially Knock Off are good to have here. Occa Berry was used last generation to anti-lead Deoxys-Attack, but they rarely carry Fire Punch anymore as Forretress and Excadrill are used less in this metagame so remove the Occa Berry mention as well. Tailwind is cool; in the actual analysis, be sure to spend a sentence or two talking about it. It's a very gimmicky move on Scizor but it's a nice surprise and should be used with U-Turn for momentum. Maybe mention Lum Berry as well to take random Will-O-Wisps and anti-lead stuff like Smeargle & Darkrai. Lum lets Scizor beat Rock and Fairy Arceus if you are max Attack and Adamant.

Checks & Counters:

Physically Defensive Kyogre in particular deserves a mention, as unlike other Kyogre variants it will not fear U-Turn too much. Reshiram destroys Scizor. Groudon walls Scizor and can OHKO with Fire Punch while Zekrom has natually high Defense and 2HKO's standard Mega Scizor with Bolt Strike after Stealth Rock. Mention that all of these Pokemon loathe switching into a Toxic or Knock Off. Gliscor fears nothing, not even Knock Off if Toxic Orb has already activated, and can prevent Scizor from healing itself with Taunt. Rocky Helmet Skarmory punishes U-Turn spam and makes Scizor very sad as well. Finally, Scizor struggles against Aegislash and Giratina-A, though Knock Off can surprise and cripple them of their Leftovers recovery. Essentially, it is very easy to prevent Scizor from powering its way through your team by offensive means, but much harder to hard counter it thanks to U-Turn and the potential of Toxic or Knock Off. Stress this in your analysis.

Also, this question applies to Piexplode, QC members, and anyone else interested in this analysis: do you guys think Knock Off is deserving of more than just OO? It's a really nice move for robbing common switchins of their items, including some Pokemon that are immune to Toxic (like Aegislash). I just don't see where you can fit it :(.

Go with Mega Scizor>CB Scizor

I'd recommend a more physically defensive spread on Scizor, I'll get back with exact details when I'm done calcing. Otherwise Dice's: 40 Atk / 220 Def / 248 HP Impish seems nice, but I'll get back to you here. For moves I kinda like:

- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Defog
- Toxic / Superpower / Pursuit
- Roost

Since U-turn is kinda weak, some teams would prefer Defog instead. Toxic is first slash to not get walked on my Ho-oh mainly. I'll post more later

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Your comments are much appreciated.. thanks for your help from both of you..

I figured HP Rock would have to go, it was fun just mentioning it in the first place tho.

I'll get to posting some calcs too to explain my spreads, but if anyone can justify better spreads with calcs themselves I'm very happy to have them on here.. I'm quite suprised with when I've calced just how much damage scizor does without any attacking EVs..

I'll move support in front of band, and also note that if a physically defensive spread is put up it risks losing to predicted focus blasts vs modest geo xern with sr up.

I'm dubious over whether knock off deserves its own slot. I've used it and can confirm it hits hard enough and has a lot of utility, but I feel at most it deserves a set slash. Could do with QCers opinions.

Last edited:
Nitpicking here, but would 248HP EVs be better than 252? Running 1 less HP minimises Stealth Rock damage, and has been the standard for the last 2 generations.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Considering that scizor uses u-turn a lot, that is a completely valid comment.

I'll add it into the analysis.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
It's so easily countered that a mega-SD set wouldn't really work; Scizor's much better at providing multiple useful niches in terms of offensive utility than it is at sweeping.

Also, done updating with respect to the comments of Hack and Sweep, bar providing calcs to support the EV spreads.

I'm getting a tad bored with waiting over mawile and felt like I could be productive.. So this is Scizor's analysis:
Adding more to the plate when we haven't had the time to get to mawile nor seen how well you handle analyses isn't exactly helping out. :/ That said, Mawile is low priority and we have a bigger team now (and the stupid subdivisions mess cleared up) so not a big deal in the long run. Just ask QC before doing so next time, please.

Anyways, if you don't want knock off slashed but think it is too good for OO, just have it mentioned in the set details. I'll look over it myself later on.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I've put knock off in the main set but worrying over slashitis now..

I'm not sure defog belongs there, but that's like the only move listed I haven't actually tested.

Should I split the first set into 2 somehow (like a pursuit trapper one and an other general support one?)

Sorry I'm just like love to help contribute xD I like feeling involved like that.. I've only just written this and my head's already working out how I'd run steelceus's analysis through without overdoing on the slashitis.. I think I'm a better and more keen contributor than battler. Anyway.. Back to scizor.. I don't have the time or willpower to get to getting EV spread calcs tonight but I have a day tomorrow where I should easily find time to do it probably when I get up.

General advice is appreciated for scizor, as well as whether I should split the first set/any ways to get rid of the slashitis.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Swords Dance needs to be mentioned on the first set. It's very notable for the fact that you can switch into Aegislash (which is usually going to king's shield you predicting pursuit), Swords Dance up, and then do ~75% or so with Pursuit. It really lets stuff like Xerneas and Mega Mewtwo X sweep easier, and can also come in handy for other Pokemon like Bronzong, and occasionally sweeps.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Given that sword dance is only really relevant with pursuit (I've used it and can say that I like it but that doesn't really justify it), and I'm already in major slashitis territory. I'll keep it in OO unless QCs say otherwise.

Good call Unowninator

Sorry everyone i haven't got spread calcs yet, I'll get to them.

Last edited:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Given that sword dance is only really relevant with pursuit (I've used it and can say that I like it but that doesn't really justify it), and I'm already in major slashitis territory. I'll keep it in OO unless QCs say otherwise.

Good call Unowninator

Sorry everyone i haven't got spread calcs yet, I'll get to them.
It's far good enough to be in set comments IMO

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
For regular scizor:

+2 252 SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 136+ SpD Scizor: 245-289 (71.4 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 317-373 (92.4 - 108.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

So special defensive investment is required.

0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 172 Def Xerneas: 216-254 (54.9 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 172 Def Xerneas: 236-278 (60 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 172 Def Xerneas: 284-336 (72.2 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So it is justifiable to use maximum attack band scizor but at the same time it doesn't change a guaranteed 2HKO into anything better

Without bulk (not that anyone should be running it)
0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 254-302 (64.4 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 282-332 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 338-398 (85.7 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Not saying there is no difference but clearly it's down to personal preference what attack you need to run in this respect.

For the ridiculous and super-rare phys def Xern..
0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 182-216 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (including after leftovers recovery)
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 200-236 (43.8 - 51.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (after Leftovers recovery too)
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 240-284 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery]
164+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xerneas: 228-270 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO [minimum attack needed to guaranteed 2HKO without leftovers recovery]

With M-gar
0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 196-232 (60.6 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 216-256 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 260-306 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 147-174 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 162-192 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 195-229 (60.3 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bulk-free
0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 196-232 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 216-256 (82.7 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 260-306 (99.6 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 147-174 (56.3 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
124 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 162-192 (62 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 195-229 (74.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So thats the whole gamut of scizor's offensive powers. Not really showing much difference across the whole spectrum apart from that 0 Atk is too weak to guaranteed 2HKO with bullet punch versus the bulkier spread. [120 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 160-190 (49.5 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO] so 124 Atk is the minimum to guarantee that. Not even sure if that's relevant, but that's how I came with that figure for the attack originally. Currently struggling to justify even running any attack on it.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 136+ SpD Scizor: 270-318 (78.7 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO I had this earlier but, calculating, still risks KOing after stealth rock [37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock]
To avoid that completely +2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Scizor: 255-300 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock Is the minimum, leaving scizor with 68 Atk EVs, which is viable. In fact I'd say it probably is the best spread, giving it some thought.

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 248 HP / 114+ SpD Scizor: 255-300 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If it doesn't run focus blast as its coverage move (not everyone wants to run focus miss) then this is the minimum you need in Sp Def EVs (any less and it has at least 6.3% chance to be KOed after SR).

On to gengar.
Shadow Ball = Focus Blast in terms of damage dealt;
252+ SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 114+ SpD Scizor: 169-199 (49.2 - 58%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
So even the minimum spread just mentioned is fine vs m-gar even after rocks even if modest, which it basically never should be anyway.

If we only consider m-gar+xern, the spread would be 248 HP/ 68 Atk / 192 SpD and Careful, with an alternative spread of 248 HP/ 146 Atk / 114 SpD and Careful

In quotes as a tl;dr #1
With chansey, with 68 Atk, you can 2HKO reliably with superpower, ignoring softboiled. Here's a couple of calcs.
68 Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 452-534 (64.2 - 75.8%)
-1 68+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 332-392 (47.1 - 55.6%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 570-672 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
As it is, without recovery chansey is 2HKOd by superpower with 0 Atk EVs and careful.

68 Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 294-346 (66.2 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So, Scizor can reliably 2HKO Arceus as it can chansey. The issue is what it can survive with the defensive drops.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 294-346 (85.7 - 100.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
I think we can see here that Scizor is not a reliable check to ekiller but if we give it enough defensive EVs it's enough to deal heavy damage with superpower without being KOed.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 68 Def Scizor: 274-324 (79.8 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Scizor: 290-342 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A spread of 248 HP / 56 Atk / 12 Def / 192 SpD Careful is therefore going to be the primary spread. It allows it to check chansey, xerneas, m-gengar, and without rocks up adamant LO ekiller.

In as quotes as atl;dr #2
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Scizor: 217-256 (63.2 - 74.6%)
For an ekiller-oriented spread then that is the minimum defensive EVs require to come in on rocks when it sets up sword dance, superpower as it EQs, then being able to switch in at another point with rocks up and not be KOed by rocks (and with banded bullet punch it surely still will have utility at such a time). It also gives only 44 EVs remaining to play with. It is much shakier versus Xerneas however.

+2 252 SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 300-353 (87.4 - 102.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 275-324 (80.1 - 94.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 300-353 (87.4 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 237-280 (69 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Versus 0 SpD

+2 252 SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 317-373 (92.4 - 108.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO (guaranteed after rocks)
+2 252 SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 290-342 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (without rocks though it clearly still survives)
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 250-295 (72.8 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So there's not really any xerneas-related reason to run these specially defensive EVs.

M-gengar
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 193-228 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 183-216 (53.3 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 201-237 (58.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 211-250 (61.5 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So with modest/timid max special attack variants, there is no reason to run the specially defensive EVs
4 SpA Mega Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 166-196 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 165-195 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO Putting one in to show the similarity.
4 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Scizor: 157-185 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO Though I can't see this spread of gengar ever really being used anyway.

Ultimately it's hard to justify any extra specially defensive EVs.

248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def Impish as the secondary spread

As a quote for tl;dr #3
So overall 248 HP / 56 Atk / 12 Def / 192 SpD Careful is going to be the primary spread for band scizor, which only fails at checking adamant LO ekiller when rocks are up.

248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def Impish Is to reliably check any ekiller variant bar those with recover even with rocks up, but it cannot out right counter it, even without rocks up.

Manaphy good point I forgot about set comments. Probably will add it to those then.

I've updated the analysis with this and now I need to deduce the best mega-scizor spread, but QC help to reduce slashitis is greatly appreciated - that or confirming that the current slashitis is fine.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Ok doing some calcs and basically you want 248 HP / 68 Atk / 192 SpD Careful on m-scizor, in case you have to switch in vs focus blast xerneas before megavolving. It checks all arceus forms perfectly fine, and cannot be in any way adjusted to outright counter it. 32 SpD EVs without even careful is all you need to tank a focus blast when you're megavolved after stealth rock, if you can tank the focus blast whilst you're already megavolved.

I'll add morning sun OO since it is better than roost in niche circumstances.

Ugh, the sets are funky so I'm just going to talk about them.

Standard Meg Scizor (which is standard scizor) is Bpunch, Roost, Toxic, U-turn (imo, best set order) with a physically defensive spread with token spdef EVs to tank a +2 Fblast after Mega evolving (should be easy, Mega scizor likes to see play early game contrary to GeoXern) and some token attack EVs for whatever they are for. (looks like you've done your homework)

The SpDef spread is still worthwhile, but more so for Mega Scizors that opt for Pursuit or for those who really hate Xern more than the normal types and other physical attackers phys def checks, so mention it in set details.

Speaking of the other options, in general I'm hesitant to slash anything because all of the moves are important. Superpower isn't worth a slash so just leave it as a mention in the moves section. (way too specialized, outclassed by Toxic, and gets fucked by recover ekiller lmao) In general, I want to say U-Turn is the least important move because it's a general switch punish like Toxic just not as particularly useful. (toxic cripples arceus formes and shit) So I'd say Pursuit can be slashed with U-Turn but make sure to mention that you can use it over Toxic instead when you talk about Pursuit in the moves section. Knock Off can be slashed with Toxic since it's a general switch annoyer like Toxic is but messes with Aegislash and other typical Scizor switchins at the price of not checking ekiller. Like Manaphy said, mention Swords Dance in the moves section as an option for trapping Aegislash. (it'd go over the Toxic/turn that you didn't drop for Pursuit) Seconding Hack on slashing Defog with u-turn.

Not touched Choice Band, it looks good from what I can tell but if Edgar wouldn't mind sharing his opinion real quick that would be cool.

Also, keep in mind you don't write this analysis up until after 2 QC checks. It should be in a skeleton format. (which it doesn't look to be in from a glance)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Could you link me something about how to put it into a skeleton format?

So is the new set with

Bullet Punch
Roost
Toxic / Knock Off
U-turn / Defog / Pursuit
The main spread should have 248 HP / 32 SDef and after that you say physically defensive, how should I work out what EVs it needs (like, what is it switching into). Otherwise I'm not sure how I should be splitting Attack/Defense EVs and giving it a nature (apart from that it should be -SAtk), and then leave the more specially defensive spread as a second option for those running pursuit etc. as u said above? Whilst mentioning superpower in the moves section (it's its best option versus chansey and it has niche use versus ekiller and a couple of other mons but I can see how in a lot of ways toxic is better).

Also thanks for taking your time to comment ^.^

For Band Scizor I go with this spread, It has been around since 4th gen Ubers iirc:

EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

It's not much different from what Pixelplode suggested, you still 2HKO any Xerneas variant with Bullet Punch and I think you don't really need an especific EV spread to cover anything else.

Could you link me something about how to put it into a skeleton format?

So is the new set with

Bullet Punch
Roost
Toxic / Knock Off
U-turn / Defog / Pursuit
The main spread should have 248 HP / 32 SDef and after that you say physically defensive, how should I work out what EVs it needs (like, what is it switching into). Otherwise I'm not sure how I should be splitting Attack/Defense EVs and giving it a nature (apart from that it should be -SAtk), and then leave the more specially defensive spread as a second option for those running pursuit etc. as u said above? Whilst mentioning superpower in the moves section (it's its best option versus chansey and it has niche use versus ekiller and a couple of other mons but I can see how in a lot of ways toxic is better).

Also thanks for taking your time to comment ^.^
Um I didn't look at it in much detail but a skeleton format is something I can glance at and just get the condescend information. It looked like you put it in prose here as if it were your write up and not just some notes on the info you are going to put in. But, again, didn't read much of it and it's not a huge deal.

Yeah that looks like what I had in mind. That rest of the evs should be poured into phys def with an impish nature along with whatever small amount of attack evs you feel is necessary for specific XHKOs.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I think with the new threats around the new band scizor set will stick and I'll put the justification in the analysis.

I'll see if I can find any nessecary XHKOs for m-scizor, but really it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference with reference to either xerneas or m-gengar (with or without stealth rocks).. I think going from 0 Atk to 252 Atk Adamant doesn't change any XHKOs to anything meaningful.
What do I do?

I am new, but I think that it is not enough to put him in Ubers, it still has weak defense, movepool is interested, but not fully used.
No matter how it is trained, when Pokebank come out this red scumbag
will become uselles. My advice, ban all mega stones.

Sorry for my English.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I am new, but I think that it is not enough to put him in Ubers, it still has weak defense, movepool is interested, but not fully used.
No matter how it is trained, when Pokebank come out this red scumbag
will become uselles. My advice, ban all mega stones.

Sorry for my English.
Scizor is valid in ubers because it checks Xerneas and Ekiller, 2 of the biggest and most important sweepers in the metage; it is the only pokemon that does that.

Will ignore the 'ban all megastones' advice, thank you.

Also, back on topic.. Might do some calcs w/ m-scizor vs Xern/Mgar like I dead earlier to make sure it still secures the appropriate KOs with 0 Atk and if not then we have a spread :)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
108+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 152 Def Xerneas: 198-234 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

New spread for mega-scizor: 248 HP / 108 Atk / 120 Def / 32 SpD Adamant

Physical defensive EVs can be moved elsewhere as the attack, special defense, and HP are all nessecary and the defensive EVs add to its physical bulk. Opinions?

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
<Piexplode> Hey I've found the EVs needed for m-scizor
<Piexplode> do you still want me to plug the spares into defense?
<Piexplode> http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/scizor-qc-0-3.3497037/ I've commented on here but the spread is 248 HP / 108 Atk / 120 Def / 32 SpD Adamant
<Piexplode> needs more attack since it's so much less poewrful than band
<Piexplode> *powerful
<Melee_Mewtwo> can you show me the ekiller calcs
<Melee_Mewtwo> between that spread and the phys def one?
<Piexplode> ok sure
<Piexplode> what ekiller spread should I use?
<Melee_Mewtwo> the lo one
<Melee_Mewtwo> jolly lo
<Piexplode> +2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Mega Scizor: 183-216 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
<Melee_Mewtwo> and um
<Piexplode> if you ran
<Melee_Mewtwo> impish scizor with
<Piexplode> +2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 152-179 (44.1 - 52%) -- 14.5% chance to 2HKO
<Melee_Mewtwo> 188 def
<Melee_Mewtwo> okay
<Piexplode> +2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 188+ Def Mega Scizor: 159-187 (46.2 - 54.3%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO
<Melee_Mewtwo> I think i like phys def spread better as main spread
<Melee_Mewtwo> since it checks ekiller a lot better
<Melee_Mewtwo> but you can mention those evs
<Melee_Mewtwo> in set details
<Melee_Mewtwo> for those that need to 2HKO xern
<Piexplode> yeah but if you lack that much attack you can't actually beat xerneas all the time
<Melee_Mewtwo> well that's not the point of that mega scizor
<Piexplode> 108+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 152 Def Xerneas: 198-234 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
<Melee_Mewtwo> it just needs to pick off xern that's already taken a hit after boosting
<Piexplode> fair enough
<Melee_Mewtwo> plus there's SR
<Melee_Mewtwo> show me the calc
<Melee_Mewtwo> with just
<Melee_Mewtwo> 40 attack evs
<Piexplode> 108 Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 226-268 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
<Piexplode> 40 Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 216-256 (48.6 - 57.6%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
<Piexplode> ** 108+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 248-294 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
<Melee_Mewtwo> mega scizor uses toxic not super power
<Melee_Mewtwo> and um
<Melee_Mewtwo> I meant the calc with bullet punch on xern sorry
<Piexplode> oh ok
<Piexplode> 40 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 152 Def Xerneas: 170-204 (43.1 - 51.7%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO
<Piexplode> I meant 0 HP but
<Piexplode> basically no difference in this instance
<Melee_Mewtwo> yeah so you ko wiht
<Melee_Mewtwo> SR up
<Melee_Mewtwo> put sr on
<Piexplode> 40 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 152 Def Xerneas: 170-204 (43.2 - 51.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
<Piexplode> 56 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 152 Def Xerneas: 170-204 (43.2 - 51.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock also so
<Piexplode> boosting to make 99.6%-->100% clearly not worth it
<Melee_Mewtwo> make it 60 atk
<Piexplode> 60 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 152 Def Xerneas: 174-206 (44.2 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
<Piexplode> didn't mean bold
<Piexplode> fucking idk what did that
<Piexplode> xD
<Melee_Mewtwo> okay make the main spread that
<Melee_Mewtwo> 60 atk
<Melee_Mewtwo> 32 spdef
<Melee_Mewtwo> 248 hp
<Melee_Mewtwo> rest in defense
<Melee_Mewtwo> impish
<Piexplode> ok
<Melee_Mewtwo> mention the attack evs in set details as another option
<Piexplode> and then list my other spread in set details
<Melee_Mewtwo> as well as the spdef spread
<Piexplode> yep
<Piexplode> well
<Piexplode> I won't mention sdef spread cos
<Piexplode> not enough attack power to do the job
<Piexplode> that you would be running it for
<Piexplode> ok cool
<Melee_Mewtwo> nah you only need to 2HKO
<Melee_Mewtwo> with sr up
<Melee_Mewtwo> actually
<Piexplode> this should be 100% QC ready in a couple of mins
<Melee_Mewtwo> don't even mention that other spread
<Piexplode> ok I'll go calc?
<Melee_Mewtwo> just mention the spdef one
<Melee_Mewtwo> 60 attack evs
<Melee_Mewtwo> makes sure you always 2HKO after sr
<Piexplode> cool is it good if I
<Piexplode> put this in quotes and put our whole convo as a post on the analysis?
<Piexplode> then I go make edits
<Melee_Mewtwo> yeah go ahead

Convo w/ MM2 explaining changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)