Not open for further replies.
Approved by AM
Old thread by Shooting Starmie
Old thread found here
Smogon Dex entry found here

Scizor #212

s/o to ThePack for pointing out my sprites weren't working
Typing: Bug / Steel

Base Stats: 70 HP / 130 Attack / 100 Defense / 55 Special Attack / 80 Special Defense / 65 Speed

Mega Base Stats: 70 HP / 150 Attack / 140 Defense / 65 Special Attack / 100 Special Defense / 75 Speed

Abilities
Swarm: When HP is below 1/3rd its maximum, power of Bug-type moves is increased by 50%
Technician: Moves with a base power of 60 or less are boosted in power by 50%
Light Metal (Hidden Ability): This Pokémon's weight is halved

Mega Ability
Technician: Moves with a base power of 60 or less are boosted in power by 50%

Notable Moves
STAB Moves in bold
Agility
Baton Pass
Bug Bite
Bullet Punch

Defog
Iron Head
Knock Off
Pursuit
Roost
Superpower
Swords Dance
U-Turn

General Analysis

Scizor is a very versatile Pokemon. Its typing gives it a huge number of resistances, while only having one weakness. Not only that, it also has the stats and movepool to back it up. The base form sports a great base 130 Attack stat, backed up by reasonable defenses. The Mega form mostly outperforms the base form, however the base form still has some viable use. The Choice Band set in particular retains its ability to hit extremely hard off the bat, without having to find room to set-up.

Scizor was also blessed with a Mega form this generation. Its Mega form gives it valuable base stat boosts, particularly in its defenses. 70 / 140 / 100 bulk, combined with its great defensive typing, makes it very hard to take down. In its Mega form, Scizor can use its wide movepool to the fullest extent. Between Bullet Punch (boosted by STAB and Technician!), Superpower, Bug Bite (used over X-Scissor due to Technician), Knock Off and U-Turn, Mega Scizor has more than enough options to deal some serious damage. It also boasts a great supporting movepool between Defog, Roost, Baton Pass, and Swords Dance. All these traits combine to make Mega Scizor a widely-used top threat in ORAS OU.

Notable Movesets

Bulky Swords Dance

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

The earliest Mega Scizor sets were of the bulky variety. While the exact EVs have shifted to adapt to the current meta, the general premise is the same. Use Mega Scizor’s natural bulk, Roost and Swords Dance to set-up while staying healthy. Knock Off and Bullet Punch are generally the two best moves to use. Knock Off provides good neutral coverage, while Bullet Punch provides very strong priority. The EVs and nature allow Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Gardevoir’s Focus Blast, as well as max attack Adamant Landorus-T’s Eathquake.

Offensive Swords Dance

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite / Knock Off
- Superpower

A more offensive look at Mega Scizor. While Mega Scizor’s base speed leaves some to be desired, priority Bullet Punch makes that much less of an issue. The other attacks serve to break down and weaken Scizor’s common checks. A Jolly nature allows Scizor to outspeed some common threats like Bisharp, while an Adamant nature allows it to pack more punch. Bug Bite is usually the better option because of the STAB damage, but Knock Off does have its uses as well.

Roost + 3 Attacks

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / Pursuit / Superpower

This look on Mega Scizor allows it to act as a bulky pivot. This set forgoes a boosting move for a combination of priority, utility, momentum, and recovery. Bullet Punch and U-Turn are both strong enough without a boosting move, thanks to Mega Scizor’s high base attack. Knock Off is preferred in the last slot, however Pursuit and Superpower can be used as well. The Special Defense EVs give Mega Scizor decent mixed bulk overall.

Defensive Defog

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Mega Scizor can act as a very reliable Defogger. The investment in defense also allows Mega Scizor to check/counter a lot of different physical attackers, including Mega Lopunny and Mega Metagross. Bullet Punch and Knock Off allow Scizor to retain some form of offensive presence.

Baton Pass

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance / Agility
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Bullet Punch

Invests heavily in defense, in an effort to pass either an Agility boost or a Swords Dance to a teammate for sweeping. Bullet Punch is there for required STAB Priority, Roost allows Mega Scizor to potentially pass boosts several times over the course of a match.

Choice Band

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

The old school Scizor set. Choice Band allows it to hit hard with priority right off the bat. Choice Band-boosted U-Turn also hits very hard, while creating a lot of momentum. The coverage moves are typically used on common checks that can take the STAB moves easily. Be wary when using coverage moves, as you could find yourself locked into a less optimal choice very quickly.

Alright, this is the end of my spiel. Feel free to discuss everything relating to Mega Scizor and Scizor in OU in this thread!​

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of buzz about Banded Scizor being better in ORAS lately; what does it pair well with?

alsoisshootingstarmiedead

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Good job on the revamp, looks solid.

For the Defensive Defog set, maybe U-Turn could be slashed with Knock Off? The type coverage isn't as good, but U-Turn is stronger than Knock Off and it's nice to U-Turn out after Defogging.

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
I actually don't think Baton Pass should be mentioned since

1. I've Never, NEVER, seen it used on Scizor or his Mega Form.
  2. Since he isn't too Speedy, there aren't many opportunities to set up an SD to Baton Pass out. You already have U-turn which is ere provided by STAB and deals damage. Save Baton Pass for the Eevees, And set up Sweepers.
  3. The only thing that Scizor would use w/ BP is to pass off a Swords Dance, its better to go bulky offense or the defog set.
This is just a slight, probably going to be shot down, thing of mine. I feel that Brick Break and X-Scissor should be mentioned. BRI k Break is for the People who don't want the lowered attack boost when attacked Heatran or Bisharp. Since you already mentioned Iron Head, you might as well throw in X-Scissor to complete the two.

Overall good analysis.

I actually don't think Baton Pass should be mentioned since

1. I've Never, NEVER, seen it used on Scizor or his Mega Form.
  2. Since he isn't too Speedy, there aren't many opportunities to set up an SD to Baton Pass out. You already have U-turn which is ere provided by STAB and deals damage. Save Baton Pass for the Eevees, And set up Sweepers.
  3. The only thing that Scizor would use w/ BP is to pass off a Swords Dance, its better to go bulky offense or the defog set.
This is just a slight, probably going to be shot down, thing of mine. I feel that Brick Break and X-Scissor should be mentioned. BRI k Break is for the People who don't want the lowered attack boost when attacked Heatran or Bisharp. Since you already mentioned Iron Head, you might as well throw in X-Scissor to complete the two.

Overall good analysis.
Baton Pass Scizor generally runs Agility, so no worries about being outsped. Tbh I'm more concerned as to why there's no set for it in the OP, it's quite viable even though it doesn't see that much use.

Running Brick Break over Superpower means you lose the ability to damage things like Keldeo, Ferrothorn, and Magnezone as they switch in. You also lose the ability to OHKO Offensive Heatran variants after Stealth Rock, so there's that to consider, too.

X-Scissor is outdamaged by Technician Bug Bite, so no.

Baton Pass Scizor generally runs Agility, so no worries about being outsped. Tbh I'm more concerned as to why there's no set for it in the OP, it's quite viable even though it doesn't see that much use.
Added a dedicated BP set, with either SD or Agility as an option. The analysis in the dex only mentioned SD, but AgilityPass seems fine as well.

I think that the bulky SD set should be adjusted to have enough defence to not be 2hko'd by m-lopunnys jolly hjk, it only requires an extra ~20 ev points iirc (am on phone Rn so cant check), although you reduce offensive power, being able to set up on yet another notable threat on offence sounds pretty good to me (I might be wrong though, I might be remembering my calcs wrong so if someone wants to prove me wrong by all means go ahead)

U-Turn should be slashed with Knock Off on the Defog set for sure, as being able to act like a pivot is great with Scizor's excellent defensive stats and typing, also slow U-Turns are great, sure type coverage with Bullet Punch isn't the best but that's not really a big deal if you're able to get in a check/counter for free.

Pursuit should be slashed with Knock Off on the banded set, being able to trap stuff like the Latis (if not running HP Fire) as well as Mega Metagross (Scizor doesn't take much from any of it's moves) is nothing to scoff at.

Looks good otherwise, good job OP!

It may be a dumb question but why is Light Metal used over Technician on most sets in the OP?
Basically because since you'll be mega evolving as soon as possible, Technician will never be useful when you're Base Scizor. Light Metal reduces damage from Low Kick and Grass Knot on the switch in. It isn't... that good; but it was a suggestion brought up a while ago that stuck because having next to no use is better than having no use at all.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
It may be a dumb question but why is Light Metal used over Technician on most sets in the OP?
Because you go mega instantly so you take less damage from Low Kick. Unlikely this will ever save you, though

I think that the bulky SD set should be adjusted to have enough defence to not be 2hko'd by m-lopunnys jolly hjk, it only requires an extra ~20 ev points iirc (am on phone Rn so cant check), although you reduce offensive power, being able to set up on yet another notable threat on offence sounds pretty good to me (I might be wrong though, I might be remembering my calcs wrong so if someone wants to prove me wrong by all means go ahead)
With the present bulky SD set:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Mega Scizor: 150-177 (43.7 - 51.6%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO

That's quite a slim chance to be 2HKOed. Nonetheless, if you want to be sure to avoid the 2HKO from this situation (excluding the crit hax), you'd have to run at least 44 Def EVs:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 44+ Def Mega Scizor: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The spread would then become 248 HP / 40 Atk / 44 Def / 176 SpD (I don't know if this spread misses important OHKOs/2HKOs that the OP's does get. If someone could verify that, it would be great).

With SR on the field, you'd have to run at least 228 Def EVs, but unfortunately, it makes you vulnerable to Mega Gardevoir's Focus Blast:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 228+ Def Mega Scizor: 127-150 (37 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 32 SpD Mega Scizor: 166-196 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

I've been wondering. I've seen Scizor with both Life Orb and Leftovers recently. Are these sets viable?
In both cases, Scizor with Life Orb (SD set?) or with Lefties (Baton Pass, Roost + 3 attacks, Defog, etc.) are less viable than those of Mega Scizor to the point of being outclassed by them (maybe? Not sure here) due to Scizor's far less impressive bulk.

In both cases, Scizor with Life Orb (SD set?) or with Lefties (Baton Pass, Roost + 3 attacks, Defog, etc.) are less viable than those of Mega Scizor to the point of being outclassed by them (maybe? Not sure here) due to Scizor's far less impressive bulk.
Any Scizor set besides good old CB (and maybe AV? is that a thing?) is generally outclassed by its Mega, but sometimes you want a diff Mega on your team

Any Scizor set besides good old CB (and maybe AV? is that a thing?) is generally outclassed by its Mega, but sometimes you want a diff Mega on your team
The main reason why I wasn't sure about my previous statement is because LO Scizor actually hits harder than its Mega, but now that I think of it, I really don't think it's worth using since it's way harder to setup when there's a lot of mons that at least 2HKO it but can't do the same to its Mega.

Also, the AV set lacks the raw power that CB Scizor and its Mega has. Instead, I'd just use Mega Scizor for its better Atk, Def, SpAtk (lol) and Speed stats, and for the ability to actually use Swords Dance, Roost, etc.

Last edited:
The main reason why I wasn't sure about my previous statement is because LO Scizor actually hits harder than its Mega, but now that I think of it, I really don't think it's worth using since it's way harder to setup when there's a lot of mons that at least 2HKO it but can't do the same to its Mega.

Also, the AV set lacks the raw power that CB Scizor and its Mega has. Instead, I'd just use Mega Scizor for its better Atk, Def, SpAtk (lol) and Speed stats, and for the ability to actually use Swords Dance, Roost, etc.
Yeah except AV Scizor doesn't take up a mega slot. AV Sciz and Mega Sciz play completely differently and can not be compared. Mega Scizor has much greater staying power and utility while AV Scizor can Pursuit trap Lati@s and fulfill a lot of Mega Scizor's rolls adequately without using up a Mega slot.

Yeah except AV Scizor doesn't take up a mega slot. AV Sciz and Mega Sciz play completely differently and can not be compared. Mega Scizor has much greater staying power and utility while AV Scizor can Pursuit trap Lati@s and fulfill a lot of Mega Scizor's rolls adequately without using up a Mega slot.
Ok, I agree AV Scizor can effectively Pursuit Lati@s (and other mons I'm sure) and take special hits better, but I think that's about it. AV Scizor has no way of recovery, can't setup, can't defog, can't Pass Swords Dance/Agility and CB Scizor does everything else better than its Assault Vest counterpart. Yes, AV Scizor can change moves, but Scizor generally doesn't need to.

I didn't want to compare AV Scizor and its Mega. I understand that they work very differently from another and I realize I didn't use proper words to express my thoughts. So I do apologize for this inconvenience.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is acrobatics worth a mention in useful moves?
Seems pretty bad, I dont exactly get what it accomplishes aside from getting a surprise hit on Keldeo, which you're better off hitting with Superpower or U-turning out depending on the set. Heck, if thats what you really want to do then use Aerial Ace lol.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering, what is the significance of Light Metal on Mega sets?
Basically because since you'll be mega evolving as soon as possible, Technician will never be useful when you're Base Scizor. Light Metal reduces damage from Low Kick and Grass Knot on the switch in. It isn't... that good; but it was a suggestion brought up a while ago that stuck because having next to no use is better than having no use at all.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Wow. Lol. That shows how much I like reading. I knew about the damage reduction, but I just thought that it had some other use.

Wow. Lol. That shows how much I like reading. I knew about the damage reduction, but I just thought that it had some other use.
Also even though it won't ever matter Light Metal kinda dicks over Dittos that try to copy you pre-Mega AND Trace HP Fire Gardevoir / Mega Alakazam...

I kinda feel people are underselling regular Scizor. Yes, everything it does (more or less) is outclassed by its mega. But unlike its other Mega competition, it's base form is still really really good. That's kind of a unique quality for a Pokemon; a lot of the "outclassing" megas have pretty poor or outright non viable base forms. The fact is, you use Mega Scizor on teams that you either build around mega Scizor, or teams that end up using Scizor built around a core without a mega in it. But that's a fairly significant catch - are we really saying that regular Scizor + any of the many other fantastically good mega Pokemon in OU + friends setup can't equal in viability or strength a Mega Scizor + friends one? Regular Scizor still gets decent usage, I know, but on the strategy dex (srs problem here for newer players) and in discussion (all over the OU forum really) regular Scizor gets really really overlooked, and this is a Pokemon which has been an OU mainstay since Platinum. It's a huge shame.

IMO Regular Scizor is viable for all the reasons Mega Latios isn't. If mega Scizor didn't exist (inb4 don't theorymon: Mega Scizor doesn't exist when team building the second you decide to use one of the other Megas) regular Scizor would still be really really good. I just wish it had more discussion because nowadays it's hard to know whether or not you're using an optimal base Scizor set if you're not running Band without text to reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)