Scolipede (QC 1/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SCOLIPEDE

[Overview]​

<p>Scolipede is pokemon with high speed (112), decent attack (90), an good but limited offensive movepool, and access to Swords Dance, making it a viable Setup Sweeper. It also has access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which when combined with it's high speed makes it a very reliable hazard setter. Unfortunately, It has terrible typing, and although it's Defense is good enough to survive a neutral hit or two, It's special defense is trash, getting easily killed by special attacks. However, when given the chance to set up, it can sweep pretty efficiently, or set up a good amount of hazards, becoming a pretty big pain in the ass.<p>

[SET]
name: Dual Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Rock Slide / Earthquake
item: Focus Sash / Leftovers
ability: Swarm
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scolipede's greatest niche in RU is being able to set up Hazards. Scolipede has high speed as well as both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, letting be an extremely efficient setup lead. His ability to absorb toxic spikes is also very useful in the mirror match against stall. Megahorn, although comparatively weak off unboosted base 90, Is still a base 120 STAB that coupled with Scolipede's natural speed can help finish enemies off, as well as bring some pain to Uxie and Cresselia. Rock Slide/Earthquake is for predicted Fire Switch-ins such as Entei, Typhlosion, Moltres, among other big threats to Scolipede.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Instead of 252 ATK, you can run 252 HP if you favor bulk over the ability to finish enemies off. Although Scolipede has decent physical bulk, Focus Sash can almost guarantee a 2x Toxic Spikes setup, which is useful if you REALLY NEED Toxic Spikes up for your team to function. Leftovers is also an option, especially if you aren't leading with Scolipede, or want to run HP EVs, However, the sheer security of Focus Sash makes it more preferrable in most situations then Leftovers.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 ATK / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Swords Dance gets his attack up to 557, which coupled with 355 speed hurts quite a bit. Rock Slide and Earthquake are strong coverage moves, creating the "QuakeSlide" combination, which complements his powerful Bug STAB. Megahorn is the preferred STAB, as after one swords dance, coming off a 120 BP attack move, most things that do not 4x resist bug take serious damage. EVs are standard 252 ATK/252 Spe physical sweeper EVs.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb, which complements all of his attacks pretty well, is the preffered item. Swarm is the preferred ability, as Poison Point is pretty much useless, as well as Swarm making his STAB Megahorn hurt so much more.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Earthquake
move 4: Pursuit
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Scolipede has high speed, especially in the relatively slow metagame of RU, making Scolipede a potent revenge killer. Choice band boosts it to good offensive levels, although not nearly as strongly as swords dance. Megahorn is for ridiculously strong STAB, Earthquake and Rock Slide are for generic coverage, and Pursuit to catch obvious switch-outs for heavy damage.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Choice Band is pretty obvious (Being a Choice Band set), Swarm is the generic ability, and the moves are really the best you can do with it's shallow movepool.<p>

[Other Options]

<p>X-Scissor, Steamroller, and Poison Jab are alternate STABs with perfect accuracy, but the sheer lack of power and additional coverage from these moves makes them obsolete when compared to Megahorn, especially due to the lack of natural power Scolipede posesses (Base 90 ATK is not very impressive for a sweeper.) Baton pass is also an option, passing Swords Dance or Agility quite easily.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything faster and/or relatively strong can kill it easily. Stong Special attacks, even neutral can OHKO it. Rock Blast from Cinccino can break the sash and kill. It is easily revenged due to it's fraility, and although it has good Defence, a strong pursuit will easily finish it off. <p>

[Dream World]

<p>Scolipede gets Quick Feet in the Dream World. Generally a good ability, however it is a little wasted on Scolipede, as burn still lowers it's attack, and it is immune to toxic, which makes really not too viable outside of Paralysis immunity. Swarm overall outclasses that aspect however, by helping him overcome his meh attack stat.</p>

First set should look like this:

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 4: Earthquake
item: Life Orb

Megahorn is your second most important move, as it is STAB and has a high base power. I would relegate X-scissor to the OO, as it is much weaker than Megahorn. The rule of thumb usually is using a high base power move over a low base power move, even if it isn't as accurate. Also, you're underestimating Scolipede. Its defenses aren't actually that bad, (physically). Flesh out your overview a bit more.

A dual spikes set also needs to be added:

[SET]
name: Dual Spikes
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Earthquake / Rock Slide
item: Focus Sash / Leftovers

Scolipede is an excellent spiker, with access to both spikes and toxic spikes. Also, make sure to mention that Scolipede can absorb T-spikes itself.

Mention Baton Pass and what moves it can pass in the OO.

-_- this is really a copyediting thread ATM.... Oglemi just insisted on making it QC. I already moved X-Scissor to OO And was going to do the double spiker set.
But thanks for telling me about Baton Pass. I forgot to add that to OO. As for the defenses on the physical side, I did actually start to notice that, thanks for reminding me.

why would this be in Copyediting? Every analysis needs to go through QC unless it has been taken over from a user who has already gotten the analysis through QC.

EDIT: bullet points makes it easier to read for QC, j/s

why would this be in Copyediting? Every analysis needs to go through QC unless it has been taken over from a user who has already gotten the analysis through QC.

EDIT: bullet points makes it easier to read for QC, j/s
Crap. I didn't mean copyediting. I meant skeleton. Damn terms are confusing muh xD
Bullet Points? Why Bullet Points? I wrote it like well... An analysis. Lol.

Bullet points make it easier to see the main points of the set without reading through excess wording. That makes it easier for the QC team to approve or disapprove it and ensures faster response time on their part.

Mention Pursuit under the CB set in OO. It may not get STAB, but it's still there, and it's still Pursuit.

Under Dream World, Quick Feet is essentially useless. Scolipede can't use the Toxic Orb, and the Flame Orb cuts its attack stat thanks to the burn.

Also, why is Focus Sash the first item under the SD set? Wouldn't you prefer Life Orb for a better chance at actually doing damage and a way to activate Swarm faster?

Mention Sandslash and Claydol as teammates, particularly for the SD set. Both can set up Stealth Rock, they can Rapid Spin away Entry Hazards to clear Scolipede's way for a sweep or setup, and both have good defensive synergy with Scolipede.

Ok, so I spoke with Oglemi, and he agreed that there should be a CB set for Scolipede. It gets fantastic coverage with its moves, and hits hard with swarm-boosted CB STAB Megahorn. Pursuit is a nice touch too.

Here's the set:

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Earthquake
move 4: Pursuit
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Alrighty. Sweet. Comic Con kinda took some writing time away from me, but I'll add on stuff soon. Choice Band is... Underwhelming on Scolipede, but yeah, I might as well throw the set in there. Didn't realize he got Pursuit. That's pretty cool.

I have used Scolipede on my RU team for a while now. I am not saying I'm all that good in the RU metagame and that Scolipede is the best in RU at any one thing, but he is the best compromise I've seen in terms of

*Full out attacker
*Spiker
*Baton Passer

I've had decent success with the following set:
@focus sash
Jolly, 252 atk, 252 speed, 4 hp

Agility
Baton Pass
Spikes
Megahorn

I usually run in the lead position, but just try to get him in before hazards to save his sash. I'm not sure if others consider this worthy of a set mention, but the versatility is... very nice. (You can maybe throw in agility/swords dance if you want to pass power over speed...)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
- Life Orb should be the only item choice on the SD set
- Don't forget to mention an ev spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe in AC of the Dual Spikes set
- Please unbold everything in the OP

And I really really really hope you plan on expanding upon the write-up once this passes QC, because what you have now just won't cut it.

QC APPROVED 1/3

- Life Orb should be the only item choice on the SD set
- Don't forget to mention an ev spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe in AC of the Dual Spikes set
- Please unbold everything in the OP

And I really really really hope you plan on expanding upon the write-up once this passes QC, because what you have now just won't cut it.

QC APPROVED 1/3
I'll do all those things, HOWEVER, I haven't been able to expand it recently, but i'll... fix it up soon enough. I like the bolds tho. -_- pains me to remove them.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Focus Sash on the Swords Dance set? No. Remove it immediately. Its a stupid item on a sweeper, a crutch for newer players to fall on. Focus Sash will end up screwing you over more often than not, especially if you happen to bring out Scolipede mid / lategame. Life Orb is always more reliable.

I think the main should be the Dual Spiker since its Scolipede's most unique niche (on top of being a damn good set too) but i'd have to discuss it with my fellow QC members.

shouldn't spikes deserve a mention on the choice band set? Think CB ferrothorn; it doesnt really matter if you get locked into it. Pursuit seems pretty weak. What are you gonna do to dusknoir/cofagrigus? At least mention in ac

I'd toss in BP on the CB set as well, the switch advantage granted by it is pretty useful. Also, I would definitely mention Weezing in Checks/Counters, as it's more or less completely stops anything Scollipede has or could try through Haze/WoW/Fire Blast (though it still can set spikes and such).

Also, obvious point but remove Sableye and 'Zam mentions

I'm not putting non offensive moves on a CB set, at least not on the main set (might relegate to OO), as for Dual Spiker going before Swords Dance... I'm iffy about that, but if others say it too... i'll do it no problem (I use Dual Spikes more myself).

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dual Spiker, as the most common set, should go before Swords Dance.

OO mentions of a Baton Pass set, along with the bunch of other random coverage moves that Scolipede has available, and a mention of Substitute and such. Also include the fact that even though its bulk is awful, it can run a bit of HP to take hits slightly better while setting up with the Spikes set. Or just make an AC mention of the possible usefulness of slightly bulkier EVspreads.

Baton Pass honestly deserves a mention at the very least in the AC of the Swords Dance and Choice Band. On the Swords Dance set, it allows you to sweep until something comes in to wall you, then tag out your boosts to something else, which is always handy. On the CB set, the last slot is sort of a filler (Pursuit isn't hurting some of the tier's major ghosts much) and Baton Pass lets Scolipede dry scout and eases prediction.

And please increase the length of the comments. The current length is not acceptable for an analysis, and you lack thorough descriptions (or in some cases, any descriptions at all) of team options, and certain sections like checks and counters are significantly lacking in detail.

Removed Sableye mentions (Damn I was gone a while). Also updated the descriptions. Me gusta QCs so uhh... yeah. Please give suggestions if I missed anything important, although I think I covered all the bases.

I know what you mean but uhh... I really don't like the whole bullet point thing. Plus, I kinda already wrote it up... A while ago...

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
As a written analysis, this is not up to scratch. I'd consider this written notes; you'll need to flesh it out before it will be ready to submit to GP.

For now, focus on the content, and earning QC approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)