Scrafty (Analysis)

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Nice analysis overall but, I think he also serves a mention on a SubPunch set I will post a sub punch set that I have used. but for example if he manages to 1hko a switch in or the opposing pokemon it can actually raise his attack not only that but it increases his power as well making it a very hard pokemon to wall. (I am on a crappy laptop will post an Ev Spread soon)
SubPunch is kind of outclassed by Roobushin, due to his higher Attack stat. Dark STAB helps, but unless its against Rankurusu, Roobushin's Payback hits hard enough.

A seperate set for a bulky Dragon Dancer would be redundant, in my opinio. An AC mention in the current DD set, with an alterantive EV spread should suffice.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think that the bulky DD set should be the main option and the current DD set should be given a mention in AC. Why are running speed on Zuruzukin when it is so slow he need two DD's before he can start out speeding notable threats. (and after 2 DD's he's still outspaced by common scarfers)

The bulky DD set is a lot more effective. The extra bulk lets you setup multiple DD's, and eventual you can start out speeding common threats at +4.
Consider: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe (The 20 speed EVs allow you to outspace Scarchomp at +4)

Also, Overconfidence is now called Moxie.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
I have a spread of 140 HP / 176 Atk / 192 Spe with an Adamant nature mentioned in the AC -- this is probably the best "bulky" EV spread for the DD set that I've used. The 252/252/4 spread will probably remain the primary option, due to all the notable threats that Zuruzukin outspeed with said EVs (positive base 90s-110s). However I'll test it some more to determine which is more effective, as well as dicuss it with some people.

SubPunch is kind of outclassed by Roobushin, due to his higher Attack stat. Dark STAB helps, but unless its against Rankurusu, Roobushin's Payback hits hard enough.
It may be out classed by Roobushin but thats why there is earthquake spiral on him, after a kill his focus punches hit harder and so on.

Ice Punch should deserve an AC comment for its ability to lure out Gliscor and make things much easier for things like Terakion to sweep.

!!!!!!!!

Zuruzukin is my favorite Pokemon i love it. The set i use, (and that i have had the most success with) is leftovers, 116 hp, 136 attack, and max speed, with an adamant nature and shed skin. Dragon dance is the obvious first move on this set, and drain punch- from my experience with tons of different Zuruzukin spreads and sets, drain punch should always be a must, for both reliable stab and survivability. I would never use high jump kick because the risk of missing is just too much, and not worth 50% of your health. Crunch is for a good strong reliable dark stab move, and the final move is ice punch. As most of you know, dark and fighting has perfect coverage, and from my experience, ice punch works great with these two moves, and will help rid Pokemon that could stop zuru from setting up and sweeping (I've never been beaten by a Gliscor yet with my zuru). This set is amazing, i seriously sweep with it all the time, (with at least 3 ddances under its belt) and its funny when people try to stop it with toxic, para, burn, or even sleep, because shed skin saves it so many times. But no set is perfect, roopushins and phazers have been the biggest problem for zuruzukin, so its best to have good partners that can counter those problems

Actually, it's resisted by two pokemon, Heracross and Toxicroak, but after playing around with Zuruzukin, they still get hit quite hard with boosted Ice Punch.
yea, ice punch does hit them neutrally. So, with between dark, fighting, and ice, it has perfect coverage lol

Dragon Dance Zuru is definitely its best set so I think it should be the first one listed. Drain Punch also needs a slash with High Jump Kick, because even though the difference in power is massive, Zuru runs into big problems with Protect users like Nattorei who force him to predict at the right time for Protect or risk dying.

QC Approved 1/3

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC APPROVED (2/3)

One nitpick, though: I'd like to see DD be the first set listed in the analysis. Other than this, everything looks pretty good to me. Great job, sir.

Delta 2777

Machampion
Thanks Panamaxis, Iconic and Setsuna! Yeah, I'll remove the Uber mentions (I posted this when we had a "no initial ban list policy," anyway I'll write this up in the next couple of weeks.

I use zuruzukin all the time and I've found that shed skin is ultimately preferable to overconfidence in my play experience. I ran both sets, but I ultimately found shed skin to be more useful because zuruzukin is useless if burned. Also, toxic is viable on zuruzukin in my play experience. I ran:
Zuruzukin, Shed Skin @ Leftovers Jolly 252 atk 128 def 80 spd 48 spe
Dragon Dance
Drain Punch
Crunch
Toxic
---
Just thought I would mention since he has served me well in over 100 games as a physical tank. This set also holds off against choice scarf ditto granted it doesn't pick up too many dragon dances, since ditto will drain punch you, so you can hit ditto with status and then switch to something like shandera. Just my two cents, though. It's also definitely worth mentioning ditto as a counter to the high jump kick set since shandera or some ghost type is the usual switch in and it can either hit the switch in with crunch or high jump kick zuruzukin. My reason for preferring shed skin is that zuruzukin isn't amazingly fast, especially in dream world, but he has some reasonable bulk to him which allows you to set up a dragon dance, but if you're in long enough a will-o-wisp is inevitable. Good work so far!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I use zuruzukin all the time and I've found that shed skin is ultimately preferable to overconfidence in my play experience. I ran both sets, but I ultimately found shed skin to be more useful because zuruzukin is useless if burned. Also, toxic is viable on zuruzukin in my play experience. I ran:
Zuruzukin, Shed Skin @ Leftovers Jolly 252 atk 128 def 80 spd 48 spe
Dragon Dance
Drain Punch
Crunch
Toxic
---
Just thought I would mention since he has served me well in over 100 games as a physical tank. This set also holds off against choice scarf ditto granted it doesn't pick up too many dragon dances, since ditto will drain punch you, so you can hit ditto with status and then switch to something like shandera. Just my two cents, though. It's also definitely worth mentioning ditto as a counter to the high jump kick set since shandera or some ghost type is the usual switch in and it can either hit the switch in with crunch or high jump kick zuruzukin. My reason for preferring shed skin is that zuruzukin isn't amazingly fast, especially in dream world, but he has some reasonable bulk to him which allows you to set up a dragon dance, but if you're in long enough a will-o-wisp is inevitable. Good work so far!
The QC team already QC'd Scrafty a long time ago, so it's a tad late. While the set does see some depth into it, I wouldn't see Toxic being used over Rest often because of Shed Skin. A >40% chance of healing off ALL damage caused to you by setting up is very helpful. The set is also a bit stale because it's being used in Dream World OU, whereas the sets here are all pertaining to Standard 5th generation OU.

Seems worth including that after a DDance at max speed he will outrun not just positive base 110s, but also positive base 111s, namely Borutorosu and Torunerosu.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
With a Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs, Scrafty can outspeed up to Positive natured Base 110s after a Dragon Dance.
DD Scrafty outspeeds base 111s such as Thundurus and Tornadus too (they hit 353 Speed while Scrafty hits 354).

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Drain Punch is better than Hi Jump Kick, point blank. After you get that first kill, the healing makes it gg.
I agree. I find Hi Jump Kick to be way too dangerous on DD Scrafty, and it just seems like a waste of his awesome defenses. Drain Punch, however, gets the job done just as well. Yes you have to weaken stuff like Hippowdon and Skarmory, but both can still beat him regardless. Yes, Hi Jump Kick can do a lot more damage to walls, but a lot of walls also run Protect, which can end up causing Scrafty to fall on his ass.

Also, I've personally been testing Chople Berry instead of Leftovers or Life Orb, and I find that it works better than both. Chople Berry lets Scrafty survive a Close Combat from Terrakion (and then DD so he's now faster) and kill it with Drain Punch, getting most of his health back in the process and being at +2 assuming Moxie. He isn't checked by Scarf Gengar anymore, and he doesn't fear random Superpowers from Tyranitar or Scizor (he can now use Tyranitar as setup bait). With Chople Berry, you now have a pokemon that can easily check Reuniclus, being immune to Psychic and resistant to his Shadow Ball. Stuff like Virizion won't be Focus Blasting or Close Combatting you, and it gets killed by a boosted Ice Punch. This also means that if you have enough boosts, Conkeldurr can't come in and wreck your sweep with Mach Punch.

I personally think Chople Berry at least deserves a mention in AC.

What about a defensive scrafty?

Sassy Nature, Max Special Defense, Almost max Defense, and put a bit in hp or atk.

Drain Punch
Payback
Bulk up
Rest

Rocky Helmet for item? (still deciding on a good item)

agh, forgot to mention, shed skin.

Bulk Ups to increase defense/attack. Payback/Drain Punch based on what you're fighting, Rest when things look grim or you have a nasty status ailment and shed skin will have a high chance to dispell it... it's pretty solid thus far.

Probably one of my strongest on my teams.

Delta 2777

Machampion
This is now written. I took plenty of your suggestions into account. If I didn't then it probably wasn't a good suggestion or it just wasn't viable, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)