Scrafty (Choice Band) [QC 2/3]

Been testing this set for the last couple days, and it's been excellent. I really think it deserves a set.

QC Checks: [2/3] (kokoloko) (Ernesto)

http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/scrafty

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Hi Jump Kick
move 2: Crunch
move 3: Ice Punch / Stone Edge
move 4: Drain Punch / Zen Headbutt
item: Choice Band
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant
evs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:

- Scrafty's excellent dual STABs, decent Attack, and natural bulk make it a prime candidate for a bulky CB set.
- The Attack boost provided by Choice Band makes Scrafty an immediate offensive threat, rather than forcing it to set up.
- Careful prediction with this set allows Scrafty to deal heavy damage to most of its counters as they switch in.
- Intimidate supports the entire team, while also aiding Scrafty's bulk.

[SET COMMENTS]

- Solid bulk and good defensive typing allows Scrafty many switch-in opportunities.
- Use Scrafty to punch holes in the opposing team or weaken bulky defensive Pokemon. It's essentially a tank buster.
- Hi-Jump Kick is Scrafty's most powerful STAB move, and it deals a lot of damage with a Choice Band behind it. Be careful about using it if there are Ghost-types on the opposing team, however.
- Crunch is a more stable STAB that gives near-perfect coverage with Fighting-type STAB.
- The last two slots are variable. Scrafty can run Ice Punch to deal heavy damage to Flying-types (particularly Gligar, though you cannot 2HKO it because it is faster and has Roost) and Roserade, or it can run Stone Edge, which allows for an OHKO on Crobat and both Offensive and SubRoost Zapdos after Stealth Rock.
- Drain Punch goes in the last slot because it allows Scrafty to heal off some damage, which is always useful. It is also a Fighting-type STAB that is less risky than Hi Jump Kick, so it is possible to be somewhat more reckless with it if necessary. Zen Headbutt can be used over Drain Punch if you want coverage against Poison-types as well as opposing Fighting-types (particularly Heracross, which it OHKO's after SR). This is best paired with Stone Edge, as Roserade will be covered by Zen Headbutt.
- Using Choice Band Scrafty to its fullest extent requires a lot of prediction. It's not a set for amateurs. If you aren't confident in your ability to out-predict your opponent, give this set a pass.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- The given EV spread outpaces minimum speed Base 60's while maximizing attack and bulk with what is left.
- It may be smart to move 4 EVs to Special Defense from HP to ensure that the Porygon brothers can't get a Special Attack boost from Download. Since Porygon-Z can do a lot of damage with a Download boost and Porygon2 can tank any move from Scrafty that isn't Fighting-type STAB, both present a threat should they get that boost.
- A spread of 32 Hp / 252 Atk / 224 Spe with an Adamant nature is possible if you want to 2HKO Gligar with Ice Punch, but it drastically reduces Scrafty's bulk and thus cuts down on both its longevity and its switch-in opportunities.

- Really loves entry hazard support; Frosslass is a good partner for laying down Spikes because it is immune to Fighting, and also lures in Dark-type attacks for Scrafty to take. Roserade and Qwilfish are also excellent partners for similar reasons. Roserade draws in Psychic-type attacks and resists Fighting, though it is also weak to Flying-type moves, which could cause problems. Qwilfish also resists Fighting-type moves while drawing in Psychic-types, and it has Intimidate as well, making them a good physically-defensive pair. Generally, Qwilfish is better on balanced or bulky teams because of its defensive synergy with Scrafty as well as its bulk.
- Many Stealth Rock setters, such as Swampert and Bronzong, also pair well with Scrafty. This is good, because Stealth Rock really helps Scrafty deal with many of its usual counters (Heracross, Togekiss, and Zapdos, to name a few).
- Pokemon that enjoy the removal of tanks like Slowbro, Golurk, and Cofagrigus make excellent Scrafty partners. Scarf Darmanitan is a prime example; Arcanine, Kingdra, Heracross, and Mienshao are others. In general, most Pokemon that enjoy the removal of Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon are good offensive partners to keep in mind when using Choice Band Scrafty.
- Scrafty appreciates Wish and Heal Bell support, though Heal Bell is more important. Togekiss can provide both.
- Zapdos is good as both an offensive partner and a defensive one, as it resists both Flying- and Fighting-type attacks and greatly enjoys the removal of Snorlax.

- Not many other move options.
- Head Smash is an option over Ice Punch or Stone Edge. It can OHKO Togekiss outright, and even Physically-defensive Zapdos after SR, but the recoil can severely damage Scrafty. Head Smash also OHKOs the standard Choice Scarf Heracross after SR, though Zen Headbutt is stronger.
- Shed Skin can be given consideration given how much Choice Band Scrafty hates status moves, and since it may allow Scrafty to fake a Dragon Dance or Bulk Up set for a turn. However, it is unreliable, and Intimidate is generally more useful.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've used this set quite a bit myself, anyways, here are my suggestions:

• It's Hi Jump Kick, not Hi-Jump Kick.
  • Another merit to using Drain Punch: no recoil if missed, so can be a bit more reckless.
  • Froslass won't be switching into Fighting-type attacks as it is mainly used as a suicide lead.
  • Mention Shed Skin (and maybe Moxie) in AC.

Hope I helped ^_^

I've used this set quite a bit myself, anyways, here are my suggestions:

• It's Hi Jump Kick, not Hi-Jump Kick.
  • Another merit to using Drain Punch: no recoil if missed, so can be a bit more reckless.
  • Froslass won't be switching into Fighting-type attacks as it is mainly used as a suicide lead.
  • Mention Shed Skin (and maybe Moxie) in AC.

Hope I helped ^_^
Thanks Rohail. Good catches on HJK, Drain Punch, and Shed Skin. I'll forgo mentioning Moxie, as with CB Scrafty you're either busting a tank or punching a hole and then switching out to something that can take advantage of that. The Frosslass bit is too general; not all Frosslass are used as suicide leads (though I will admit most well-played ones are), and some players will still bring in their Frosslass on a predicted HJK. It's happened to me enough time that I don't feel comfortable adding that in.

Will edit first post soon.

Feel free to ignore the noobie here, but why not throw 4 EV's into Special Defense to prevent the Porygon's from getting an optimal Download boost? Scrafty's defensive stats are both equal and he won't miss the one hit point anyway, so maybe a spread like 232 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 20 Spe ?

You'll be switching into Porygon's more often than them switching into you, but since +1 Porygon-Z is scary as hell, and it can come into you if you're locked into anything other than a Fighting-type move, I'd say it's worth the mention.

I'd say surprise value shouldn't be a reason for a set to go onsite, since once it's uploaded it'd lose that, but this is otherwise a good set.

In the Spikers section, I'd say emphasize Qwilfish a bit more over the other two on more bulky teams, Froslass would be usually better on more offensive teams but would lose the synergy you're talking about.

I'd say mention Scarf Darmanitan on Pokemon who appreciate the removal of Slowbro over Victini (for obvious reasons) and Arcanine, and I also fail to see what Snorlax or Empoleon would stay in or switch in on you. Instead, you could mention a partner Fighting-type that will enjoy Scrafty's ability to Crunch Psychic- and Ghost-types that switch into a HJK, such as CS Mienshao or Hera.

I have some issues with some of the partners you mentioned, namely Swampert and Bronzong just for SR, but I'll let you start writing it.

[qc]2/3[/qc]

Feel free to ignore the noobie here, but why not throw 4 EV's into Special Defense to prevent the Porygon's from getting an optimal Download boost? Scrafty's defensive stats are both equal and he won't miss the one hit point anyway, so maybe a spread like 232 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 20 Spe ?
Sounds good; I'll give it a solid mention under AC.

You'll be switching into Porygon's more often than them switching into you, but since +1 Porygon-Z is scary as hell, and it can come into you if you're locked into anything other than a Fighting-type move, I'd say it's worth the mention.
Agreed. That goes double for P2, since anything other than a Fighting-type move won't do enough damage to keep it from doing its job.

I'd say surprise value shouldn't be a reason for a set to go onsite, since once it's uploaded it'd lose that, but this is otherwise a good set.
Eh, true enough.

In the Spikers section, I'd say emphasize Qwilfish a bit more over the other two on more bulky teams, Froslass would be usually better on more offensive teams but would lose the synergy you're talking about.
Good point; will edit that.

I'd say mention Scarf Darmanitan on Pokemon who appreciate the removal of Slowbro over Victini (for obvious reasons) and Arcanine, and I also fail to see what Snorlax or Empoleon would stay in or switch in on you. Instead, you could mention a partner Fighting-type that will enjoy Scrafty's ability to Crunch Psychic- and Ghost-types that switch into a HJK, such as CS Mienshao or Hera.
Ahh, right. I keep forgetting just how powerful CB Victini's Bolt Strike is (plus it can mix or go pure-special). Arcanine is more iffy; with how much damage it takes from recoil, you'd really rather have most of its bulkier checks out of the way before using it. Still, Darmanitan > Victini. I suppose that's fair; though Snorlax and Empoleon will sometimes stay in if they assume you're going to set up so they can phaze Scrafty, it's not exactly a smart play. Will change that.

I have some issues with some of the partners you mentioned, namely Swampert and Bronzong just for SR, but I'll let you start writing it.
I get Swampert, no real synergy and all that (still my preferred Stealth Rock user with Scrafty, though), but why Bronzong? It has a Flying-type resist, appreciates Scrafty's Intimidate, and provides Stealth Rock to assure several of Scrafty's KOs. Seems like a decent enough partner to me. Would Rhyperior be better over Swampert?

[qc]2/3[/qc]
Adding. Thanks for the check, Ernesto.

Will have this updated in the next half hour or so.

EDIT: First post updated.

The thing about Bronzong is that I fail to see it pulling its weight on teams that will like CB Scrafty in them, unless it's something like TR + Explosion I guess (you'll still struggle with Kiss). I feel like Rhyperior, for starters, is a much better partner because it can beat non-HP Grass Zapdos and non-GK (so every single one) Togekiss, which you mentioned as stuff this set struggles with.

The Flying resist is moot if you're gonna mention Togekiss, because NP+Heal Bell beats Toxic Bronzong (it'll be pretty annoying, though), so I don't know how you're expecting it to help you there...

Otherwise it's fine, I really like Swampert so I guess you can mention it, but I feel like if you're gonna mention specific SR setters, they need to do something besides that. Swampert will most likely lose to Kiss, and although it won't take much from non-HP Grass Zapdos it won't do much back—unless Ice Punch.

EDIT: Also the Darm>Vic was leaning more towards Vic being much more of a wallbreaker than a sweeper due to coverage and V-create's Speed drop preventing it from taking advantage of the removal/weakening of Slowbro (since it'll just switch out after tanking a Crunch, lol). You can prolly run FB Scarf Tini, but then why not use Darm as an example?

Between testing Bronzong and Rhyperior as CB Scrafty partners (the latter is definitely getting a mention, and the former is much worse than I had seen initially), and problems with my laptop, I haven't been able to update this recently. Hopefully by tonight, I'll be able to fix that. If not, likely tomorrow.

Nas

Banned deucer.
I'm reassigning this, so whoever wants it just open up a new thread and I'll delete this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)