Scrafty: Dragon Warrior (with a twist)

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scrafty: Dragon Warrior

Introduction:

One of my favorite Pokemon in 5th Gen OU is Scrafty. This little Gila Monster has a very unique niche, having access to STAB Hi-Jump Kick, as well as great set up moves in Dragon Dance and Bulk Up. It seemed to me that this little guy has the ability to become a potent offensive force, so lets get to it.

Team Building Process:

Scrafty, of course, would be the star of this team. Since Dragon Dance has more offensive potential, I decided to start with a DD Scrafty and build around him.

Of course, the first thing to do was develop ways to eliminate pokemon that can stop Scrafty's sweep, them being Bronzong, Skarmory, Hippowdon and fighting types. So I added Heatran to combat the first two and Celebi for the latter group.

These pokemon would be shredded apart by a sand team. Bronzong may very well be the best answer to sand in the metagame which justifies his addition to the team. It also sets up SR, so Heatran can opt to run another move.

I needed someone to take on powerful special threats such as Thundurus, so I added the slug slowly crawling its way to the top of OU. Gastrodon and Celebi together can stop almost any rain team in its tracks. Therefore, Gastrodon was added to the team. Creating a nearly indestructible defensive grouping of Bronzong, Heatran, Gastrodon, and Celebi.

The last spot was sort of iffy, I didn't know who to put in. Originally I inserted Gyarados to further combat with annoying fighting types, especially Infernape, one of the only few Pokemon that could break through my defensive combination.

However, Gyarados was rather ineffective, its role already emulated by Celebi. As a result, Gyara would rarely see action. I kept playing around with the sixth member, and was about to give up on the team. But then, with a little luck (and unintended help from a friend), I discovered a secret weapon...

http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/celebi#

After playing around with the team for a while, I found the team struggled against stall. So I replaced Celebi with Reuniclus, providing me with the Conkeldurr check I so desperately need, as well as giving stall teams a run for their money.

In Depth:

Bronzong, Desert Guardian @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Sassy Nature
252 Hp / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD / 2 Spd IVs
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
HP Ice

I never really liked Bronzong in 4th Gen OU, as it really didn't fill any important niches. But when I tried it this Gen I found that Bronzong is a freaking tank! This oddly drawn bell is capable of shutting down Excadrill, Landorus, and Gliscor. The only prominent sand sweeper it fails to counter is Terrakion, and even then, it can act as a last resort check to Terrakion. Furthermore, Bronzong can bring down the multitude of dragons roaming OU, including Dragonite, Haxorus, the Latii twins, and Salamence without Fire Blast. Unfortunately, Bronzong can only bring one or two of the aforementioned threats down, if needed to counter too many threats, lack of recovery will hinder Bronzong's usefulness. However, that takes nothing away from Bronzong's utility, as other members can bail Bronzong out if necessary.

Heatran, Magma Guardian @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
244 Hp / 252 SpA / 12 Spd
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Hidden Power Ice
Roar

Heatran helps bring down a number of threats that can stop Scrafty's sweep such as Skarmory and Bronzong. He is also arguably the best check to sun in existence, capable of defeating Venusaur, Volcorona, and Sawsbuck without Jump Kick. Air Balloon is the item of choice, as it temporarily eliminates Heatran's worst nightmare, allowing it to act as a back-up check to the likes of Excadrill and Salamence. His respectable bulk means he can sponge Draco Meteors from Latios and Hydreigon if Bronzong has a more important assignment. More EVs are placed into Hp for more bulk, better for sponging random DMs/ Outrages when Air Balloon is used up. Since Bronzong already carries Stealth Rock, Heatran uses Roar instead to phaze out incoming checks, or preventing opponents from setting up on it.

Gastrodon, Ocean Guardian @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
Calm Nature
252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Earth Power
Ice Beam
Toxic
Recover

Gastrodon is an integral part of my defensive core. Arguably the best rain check in existence, Gastrodon takes on the likes of Thundurus, Tornadus, and Gyarados with little difficulty. With Storm Drain, Gastrodon also brings down bulky waters such as Rotom-W and Vaporeon, while actually becoming respectable offensively upon absorbing a water attack. Toxic and Recover are staple moves, Earth Power is chosen over Scald so Gastrodon can hit bulky waters harder bar Rotom-W, who will never stay in against Gastrodon anyways. Even if the opponent doesn't have a rain team and lacks bulky waters, the sheer bulk of this guy makes him useful in most battles. It isn't even 2HKOed by DM Specs Latios!

Reuniclus, Bio-Warfare Sentry @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Mind
Recover
Psychic
Focus Blast

This abnormally developed fetus has become a valuable addition to my team. Magic Guard means he wants to get poisoned or burned, so he can avoid sleep or paralysis. He also takes no damage from entry hazards and Leech Seed. As a result, Reuniclus is able to tear stall a new one once Scrafty and Heatran have gotten Tyranitar, Scizor, and Jirachi out of the way. Due to his horrendous speed. Payback from Conkeldurr does next to nothing, Psychic is chosen over Psyshock almost specifically for Conkeldurr. He replaces Celebi's job as the Conkeldurr counter, in fact, he does it much better.

Scrafty, Dragon Warrior @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
Dragon Dance
Hi-Jump Kick
Crunch
Ice Punch

Scrafty's picture has been changed because this new one has an abundance of win! Its amazing how many clean sweeps Scrafty can get on opposing teams. It truly is one of the most underappreciated threats in the metagame. As there are a number of teams that choose not to prepare for it: big mistake. There are times when I can get Scrafty out on turn one, and finish the match with nobody else even participating. Respectably bulk means it can often get two DDs under its belt and proceed to wreak absolute havoc. Ironically, even though this team is based on Scrafty, I put in the least thought for this set. While Ice Punch does help with coverage, I am considering Taunt, or even Shed Skin + Life Orb to deal with annoying status.

Latios, Hidden Legend @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Dragon Pulse
Surf
Calm Mind
Trick

Wow, Calm Mind on a Choice Scarf set, you fail at life AHAHAHAHA, what a noob. However, before everyone rips me apart, hear me out on how effective this gimmick actually is. But first lets see how I actually "developed" this set. I originally had DM over CM, and Latios was meant to revenge kill the likes of Infernape, Terrakion, and Salamence, and cripple Reuniclus. However, a friend of mine thought he was clever and replaced DM with CM while I wasn't looking. I was pissed beyond belief when I saw Calm Mind, and after tricking a Reuniclus, I had no idea what to do, as I couldn't just spam DM. So I decided to Calm Mind since I was bored. I think my opponent was thinking, "revenge kill with Starmie", and sent out a death fodder, and was super unimpressed as I proceeded to sweep his team. Then I realized the element of surprise (and awesomeness) of this set. Dragon Pulse and Surf were the only attacks I needed for revenge killing what I wanted, after losing its Choice Scarf, the traditional Latios loses its effectiveness, but in this case, I suddenly have a sweeper than can switch in and set up against Heatran etc. often causing my opponent to call me a noob, and ragequit. Whats more, I think this gimmick has serious competitive value, being able to fulfill two roles at the same time. Think of it as having 7 Pokemon, with CS Latios with disabled DM and CM Latios with disabled Psyshock.

Conclusion:

All in all, this is an extremely fun team to use, and quite effective as well. Its the only 5th Gen team I've made thats cracked 1200 CRE (hell, 1100 CRE). I'm definately a below average player, so I would like to see how better players would do with this team. Scrafty not only looks epic, but his 6-0 sweeps are always fun to experience. This team makes weather teams wish they never made the weather team. But best of all: Choice Scarf CM Latios. It surprises everyone and has caused more ragequits than the rest of my team combined. I suggest everyone give this set a try, not only is it an effective revenge killer, but also an effective boosting tank as well. I'm not sure how many other trick users with boosting moves exist, but I'm sure that there are other sets that can utilize this strategy as well. Even if you don't find this strategy effective, its always fun to troll people with it and cause people to break their computers:naughty:.

Retired Members:

Celebi, Forest Guardian @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
188 Hp / 252 SpA / 68 Spd
Nasty Plot
Giga Drain
Psychic
Hidden Power Fire

Celebi completes my defensive grouping, its typing and respectable bulk allows it to take on offensive juggernauts such as Terrakion, and check certain threats in all three weathers. Its ability allows it to absorb status, which my team absolutely abhorrs. However, Celebi's most important role is to clean up those annoying fighting types that would otherwise hinder Scrafty's sweep, most notably Conkeldurr. I opted for a Nasty Plot version because I'm an offensively oriented player, and NP Celebi gives me another means of closing out a game. Psychic is chosen over recover to deal with fighting types. Now, the EVs may seem strange, but it actually does serve a purpose: including the speed drop from HP Fire, these EVs allow Celebi to outspeed max speed Scizor. While not as common as defensive Scizor, still exist in a significant enough number and love to come in for the "surefire revenge kill".

Honestly, this team is very good. Just let me make some nitpicks here unless i find anything else in the process. The team itself is very solid. First, i'd suggest replacing Air Balloon with Leftovers on Heatran. This is so that Heatran can switch into the grass attacks of Sun team, such as a Giga Drain from Venusaur, and have recovery, while not wasting your item, or having to fodder something on your team to switch in. On Celebi, i'd suggest Recover or Earth Power over Psychic, as it adds either reliable recovery, or a move to hit Heatran with, your choice. Also, You should change Scrafty's set to Max Speed and Max HP, since you gain more attack anyway from Moxie after a kill, and with max speed at Plus 1, you outspeed the Latiis, and the genies, and terrakion.

New World Order

Licks Toads
Honestly, this team is very good. Just let me make some nitpicks here unless i find anything else in the process. The team itself is very solid. First, i'd suggest replacing Air Balloon with Leftovers on Heatran. This is so that Heatran can switch into the grass attacks of Sun team, such as a Giga Drain from Venusaur, and have recovery, while not wasting your item, or having to fodder something on your team to switch in. On Celebi, i'd suggest Recover or Earth Power over Psychic, as it adds either reliable recovery, or a move to hit Heatran with, your choice. Also, You should change Scrafty's set to Max Speed and Max HP, since you gain more attack anyway from Moxie after a kill, and with max speed at Plus 1, you outspeed the Latiis, and the genies, and terrakion.
One problem about losing the Air Balloon on Heatran: Venusaur and Sawsbuck often carry a ground move, rendering Heatran useless against them. Plus, Air Balloon makes Heatran a back up check to threats such as Excadrill. Losing Psychic means Celebi will no longer be able to OHKO Conkeldurr, who poses a huge threat to the rest of the team. The last suggestion of Max Hp sounds interesting, I think I'll test that out with Taunt over Ice Punch to get rid of status.

Air Balloon is pretty mandatory on a Heatran like that. I run a similar set, but use max HP EVs. Heatran really appreciates the extra bulk, and you can give it 8 Speed EVs for other Heatran. This is a totally awesome team, and I'll try to give it a full rate later.

Your team was rated by a bunch of our raters at #ratemyteam today at our lecture session. You can find a lot of helpful suggestions composed by us in the chat log saved here. Good luck!

New World Order

Licks Toads
Your team was rated by a bunch of our raters at #ratemyteam today at our lecture session. You can find a lot of helpful suggestions composed by us in the chat log saved here. Good luck!
Some of the changes were really fixing a hole by creating a new one. Bronzong is arguably the glue that keeps the team together. Replacing him with Gliscor leaves Heatran the only check I have to dragons. So basically, any double dragon team would rip me a new one. Terrakion is indeed able to theoretically 6-0 the team with SD and X-Scissors. However, it can't set up on anybody without an Air Balloon, and how many SD, X-Scissor, Air Balloon Terrakions are actually out there? Therefore, Gliscor's presence really isn't necessary. On paper, Reuniclus seems better than Latios, but it allows fast threats such as Infernape to tear my team apart.

That said, I did find a number of suggestions useful. I think people are right about Heatran wanting bulk over speed, but Roar is very necessary, as it helps me check annoying baton pass teams. I'm also open to trying out a new Celebi set, although Celebi's main assignment is Conkeldurr. I do admit that this team sometimes has trouble against stall, perhaps it may be easier to fix this by toying around with Scrafty rather than randomly slapping on a Reuniclus. Replacing Ice Punch with Taunt or Moxie with Shed Skin can both alleviate this problem, although I'm not sure which would be more effective. What are everyone's thoughts?

ChestoRest Volcarona will rip this team apart once it's the last Pokemon and you can't phaze it with Heatran, who will eventually get beaten down due to lack of Leftovers; Latios will either be dead or will have tricked off its scarf by that time so you can't rely on it either. Stall will also trouble this team since half your members are spikes bait. My suggestion is to exchange Gastrodon for a Jellicent. It keeps the water immunity that is so crucial against rain teams but it counters Volcarona with ease thanks to its typing / bulk, and busts up stall teams easily, or at least enough for Scrafty to clean up.

Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | Water Absorb | EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Scald | Taunt | Toxic | Recover

I think this will really help your team out. Good luck!

a bulkier scrafty set i sometimes like to use is this.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Att / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Drain Punch /HJK
- Ice Punch

He gets defenses of 311/266/266 and doesn't care about status, while also having quite reliable healing. The damage output is significantly lower though without Moxie, so HJK is an option. You always get at least two DDs though, and possily more. Jellicent sounds like an exxcellent alternative over Gastrodon, although on Heatran I tend to give it HP Rock for offensive Volcarona, and Stone Edge for the ChestoRest kinds. That way you can take it out if it's the last Pokemon.

try throwing your own bulky grass/poison on over celebi. you keep the fighting resist and natural cure status absorption, and can counter those annoying tspikes with an absorber/layer of your own! you lose the ability to ohko it, but putting a threat to sleep is usually as effective, is it not?

Roserade @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

You can start with Tabloo's specially defensive roserade and tweak the evs to your liking - if you'd rather withstand more physical fighting attacks (and not lose to standard Conk's Drain Punch x2 + Mach Punch off a Sleep Powder miss), 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef Calm balances your defenses, dropping a fair amount of special bulk for a large physical boost.

Alternatively, a SubDisable or SubSplit Gengar of your own can help you laugh at, and not just survive against, opposing fighting types.

Gengar @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Disable/Pain Split

Leftovers with Disable for stalling and crippling, Life Orb + Pain Split for MOAR POUER. Not much to write about here that isnt obvious, abuse your fighting immunity to patch up the hole in your defenses that Machamp and Conk work to exploit. If you want to keep a pokemon close to Celebi in terms of how you use it, try Roserade; if you want a more offensive, arguably more effective counter to those two, Gengar is your choice.

You could also run Gliscor, an utter full stop against most physical attackers (and can absorb/ignore status once youve switched in safely), but everything runs random ice punches and ice beams to ruin gliscor's fun.

I don't think you could actually get any more valuable options for this team. This team is a perfect example of a Scrafty-centered team. So you're going to end up going to have to replace Scrafty for Conkeldurr if you want it to be any more solid. As your team does have a pretty big problem against Excadrill (a SD + LO + X-Scissor can easily KO your Bronzong once weakened or SD + X-Scissor can 2HKO with Air Balloon). While a Double Dance Terrakion can also easily sweep your team once Reuniclus is weakened. Having Conkeldurr over Scrafty solves those problem by allowing you to use priority Mach Punch. But alas, you don't want to replace the Pokemon you've centered your team around. So it's futile...

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bulky Gyarados over your secret twist Latios may help with Excadrill and Terrakion. Its unique typing and Intimidate will really help you double up on the top threats, alongside Bronzong and Reunicles. Its Water / Flying Typing essentially provide similar coverage as Latios, too, with some extra resistance to bug and steel. Its not that great at countering Rain and Grass Sweepers, but I think you're well covered in those department thanks to Gastrodon and Heatran.

Yea, Gyarados is a beast - it shrugs off Rock Slide from Air Balloon Excadrill like nothing and then hit it hard with Waterfall. Terrakion is more threatening to stay in against, but switch into a Close Combat / Rock Polish / Swords Dance to Intimidate it, and Bronzong would have an easier time sponging its hits and retaliate with Gyro Ball. If Bronzong dies, I am pretty sure Reunicles can survive a +1 Stone-Edge (if Terrakion Swords Danced).

Here's the set:
Waterfall | Taunt | Dragon Tail | Thunder Wave
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef - Impish Nature

Taunt & Dragon Tail prevents Gyarados from becoming set-up bait, and it is anti-stall. Paralysis may come in handy. Waterfall and Taunt are obligatory imo, but you may remove T-Wave or Dragon Tail for coverage moves. I personally like Stone-Edge to one-shot Volcarona without getting burned. It's also good for hitting Water Types for good damage. Avalanche would be useful to sponge a hit from a Dragon or a Grass Type and hit them hard super-effective with 120 BP Ice move. Taunt provokes them to attack. I would personally advise against Avalanche, since Gyarados is more useful in tanking other hits.

You may want to invest in Atk EVs to improve Gyarados's odds in taking out Excadrill with Waterfall after SR damage, since you don't have a revenge killer. 28 Atk EVs will allow Waterfall to OHKO Excadrill 53% of the time; 79% of the time with 76 Atk EVs. I wouldn't go further than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)