Scrafty (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, first Doubles analysis ever.

The Badass Ghetto Lizard

[Overview]

<p>Scrafty has a unique Dark / Fighting typing which allows it to dominate Tyranitar and Cresselia, two of the greatest tanks in Doubles. Intimidate is a great ability in Doubles that works very well with Scrafty's impressive bulk. Its immunity to Psychic-type moves also allows it to stand out from Hitmontop, the other Intimidate-using Fighting-type in the tier. Scrafty also stands out from Hitmontop with its ability to bite off large chunks of health from Chandelure, Cresselia, and Latios with STAB Crunch. Its access to Fake Out further bolsters its utility in Doubles. However, Scrafty suffers from having a poor Speed stat, which leaves it outsped by a lot of Pokemon. Hitmontop gives Scrafty competition as a Fighting-type with Intimidate and has access to other useful support moves such as Wide Guard, Feint, and Helping Hand. Scrafty also lacks massive firepower, having only base 90 Attack and relatively weak STAB moves. However, it is able to hit many prevalent threats in Doubles for super effective damage, and can provide a more prolonged Intimidate + Fake Out support than Hitmontop thanks to its superior bulk.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Detect / Ice Punch
item: Chople Berry / Sitrus Berry
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Scrafty's best set in the Doubles metagame. Its typing and bulk allow it to take on common threats in Doubles, such as Cresselia, Latios, and Tyranitar. Scrafty's Fighting STAB also allows it to take on the most common answer to Intimidate users, Bisharp. Intimidate is a great ability, as being able to weaken opposing physical attackers is fairly valuable. Fake Out is the main move on this set, and allows Scrafty to stop one opponent from moving for the turn of its usage; the free damage is also noteworthy. Drain Punch serves as a decently powerful and reliable STAB move that also provides recovery. Crunch is secondary STAB move and provides great coverage with Drain Punch. Detect is a useful move in Doubles that can block a hit, and it's preferred over Protect as it bypasses Imprison. Ice Punch, however, allows Scrafty to land a strong blow on Garchomp, Landorus, and Thundurus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Chople Berry is the preferred item here as it lets Scrafty avoid the OHKO from some Fighting-type moves, notably Hitmontop's Close Combat. A Sitrus Berry, however, can give Scrafty decent recovery outside of Drain Punch once. A Dark Gem can be useful to deliver a stronger Crunch for one turn. The utility that Chople Berry and Sitrus Berry provide, however, is much more useful. Leftovers is also a viable option, as Scrafty is quite durable and it also cancels out hail and sand damage. There are also a number of viable alternate EV spreads over the one listed. 252 HP / 72 Atk / 100 Def / 84 SpD with an Expert Belt is usable to survive Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor and Hitmontop's Fighting Gem-boosted Close Combat (after Intimidate), and provides as much power as maximum Attack Scrafty against targets weak to its moves. 252 HP and 60 Special Defense EVs can also be used to live a Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor from Modest Kyurem and Modest Latios. 4 Speed EVs allow Scrafty to outpace opposing Scrafty and use Fake Out against them.</p>

<p>Dusclops and Cresselia are both great teammates for Scrafty, sporting good synergy while being able to set up Trick Room; they can also run Helping Hand to let Scrafty deliver stronger blows. Jellicent is also a viable teammate that synergizes well defensively with Scrafty. Abomasnow has good offensive synergy as it can handle Flying-types such as Tornadus well with its Ice STAB, while Scrafty provides Intimidate support to lessen blows from Scizor and handles Tyranitar, Heatran, and Chandelure. Other Pokemon such as Reuniclus can be useful as well, as Reuniclus can handle Fighting-types, and Scrafty can aid in its ability to set up Trick Room with Fake Out and also handles opposing Psychic-, Ghost-, and Dark-type Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hi Jump Kick is a usable move over Drain Punch for its great power, but as Protect is an extremely common move in Doubles, using it is very risky. If used, however, a Pokemon with Imprison and Protect should be used to disable said move. A Choice Band can be used to give Scrafty more power at the cost of not being able to effectively utilize Fake Out. Dragon Dance can be used to make Scrafty faster and stronger, and can work with Follow Me or Rage Powder support, and it outspeeds Tornadus after one boost. Outside of that, however, it's fairly risky to set up with. Bulk Up is also a usable option to boost Scrafty's power and bulk, and works quite well with Intimidate. Moxie is a decent ability that allows Scrafty to become pretty scary after a few KOs, and is good for Trick Room teams. Low Kick can be used to do more damage to heavier opponents, but misses out on the recovery and consistency Drain Punch provides. Taunt enables Scrafty to stop Trick Room users, but is very situational otherwise. Finally, ChestoRest can be used to fully heal Scrafty once.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop is best answer to Scrafty available, taking little damage from Scrafty thanks to Intimidate, while hitting back hard with Close Combat. Landorus-T also has Intimidate, while Breloom, Hariyama, and Conkeldurr can hit Scrafty hard with their Fighting STAB. Toxicroak and Heracross resist both of Scrafty's STAB moves and hit it fairly hard in return, making them good checks. Tornadus has Flying STAB to nail Scrafty, as well as Defiant to benefit from Intimidate. Gyarados and Salamence can take on most of what Scrafty has to throw at them thanks to Intimidate, though Salamence must be wary of Ice Punch. Metagross and Togekiss have enough bulk to take whatever Scrafty has to offer and can hit back fairly hard. Sableye has Will-O-Wisp to burn Scrafty and weaken its damage output. Overall, the best way to handle Scrafty is by taking it on with something reasonably bulky.</p>

[Overview]
  • Unique typing gives it a nice place in Doubles
  • Has great STAB combo
  • Fake Out+Intimidate+Detect is also a great combo
  • Intimidate is a wonderful ability to have
  • Works well under TR with its low Speed, but good outside of it
  • Dark STAB is great too to hurt Cresselia (ie the biggest threat in the tier), and also the immunity helps
  • Great bulk too
  • Poor Speed means it's outsped by almost everything
  • Kinda hindered by Hitmontop's presence; it has to compete with it for a Intimidate Fighting-type while Hitmontop also nails it pretty hard
  • Not remarkably strong with only 90 Attack and not that powerful STABs
  • Nonetheless, Scrafty is a good choice if you're in for its unique typing or for TR
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Scrafty's best set in Doubles
  • Good STAB combo allows it to handle Cresselia, Tyranitar, Latios, as well as the #1 Intimidate answer Bisharp
  • Fake Out is a nice move to stop one opponent from doing anything for one turn (also FREE DAMAGE)
  • Drain Punch is the Fighting STAB, having decent power; chosen over Hi Jump Kick since HJK is really risky with Protect everywhere in Doubles
  • Crunch is a neat Dark STAB to have
  • Ice Punch allows Scrafty to hit Tornadus hard
  • Protect because it's useful to block a hit
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • 252 HP / 72 Atk / 100 Def / 84 SpD with Ebelt is usable to survive CC from Hitmontop and DM From Latios, and provides as much power as Adamant max Attack against targets weak to its moves
  • 252 HP / 60 SpD with Sassy can be used to survive Modest DM's from Latios and Kyurem
  • A few Speed EVs are also viable to Fake Out against other Scrafty
  • Sitrus Berry is to heal up some HP
  • Chople Berry though can weaken a Hitmontop's blow for some time
  • Dark Gem is useful though to deliver a stronger Crunch
  • Cresselia and Dusclops are great teammates; they can set up TR reliably for Scrafty to thrive in; they also have Helping Hand to let Scrafty deliver stronger blows
  • Jellicent is good for great synergy and also has TR
  • Abomasnow is decent
  • Other TR supporters like Reuniclus can be useful though
[Other Options]
  • Hi Jump Kick but it's really risky in doubles
  • CB
  • Ice Punch
  • Dragon Dance
  • ChestoRest
  • Taunt
  • Very few other viable options
[Checks and Counters]
  • HITMONTOP
  • Breloom
  • Landorus-T
  • Tornadus
  • Toxicroak
  • Heracross
  • Metagross (also if it has Hammer Arm)
  • Sableye
  • Togekiss
  • Conkeldurr
  • Something reasonably bulky

Last edited:
Dragon Dance in OO. It's pretty decent with Follow Me/rage powder support, but it it isn't very good outside of that.

Also, add Low Kick to OO. You miss out on the recovery and consistancy that drain punch provides, but you hit a large amount of the tier for greater damage, while also having a very reliable attack.

Mention that Scrafty can make a great alternate to Hitmontop outside of TR teams to check Psychic-types at the cost of being vulnerable to Fighting-types.

Finally, change Protect to Detect for imprison users.

Last edited:
Set: Scrafty should run Detect over Protect to foil Imprison users. Possibly slash Low Kick alongside Drain Punch as it OHKOs Chople T-tar.
Set comments: Questionable that Scrafty can handle Latios when Dragon Gem Draco Meteor has a 40% chance to OHKO. Handles it in Trick Room only. Also, how badly Cresselia is damaged by Crunch depends on her EVs: Physically defensive Cress with Sitrus isn't even always 3HKO'd.
Other Options: ThunderPunch hits bulky waters, mainly Gyarados. Not much use otherwise though. Taunt and Snarl are nice support options but Scrafty doesn't have the moveslots (and, in the case of Snarl, you become even worse Tornadus bait than you already are.) Iron ball + Fling is possible but not much more powerful than Dark Gem + Crunch. Payback outdamages Crunch outside Trick Room. Dragon Dance and Bulk Up if you have the balls.
Checks and Counters: Toxicroak and Heracross resist Scrafty's STABs and hit hard with Fighting-type attacks; Sableye can only even be hit by Crunch and burns it; Bulky Intimidate users like Gyarados don't make life easy; weather-boosted attacks also hurt (eg Scrafty is OHKO'd by Choice Specs Rotom-W in rain). In Trick Room, slower Fighting-types like Conkeldurr and Hariyama are lethal.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You're putting a lot of emphasis on Trick Room, when Scrafty doesn't really need Trick Room to be effective. Before its performance in Trick Room, Scrafty's main appeal is the quad access to Intimidate, Fake Out, amazing bulk, and its Dark-typing. The latter two is what sets it apart from Hitmontop, because it has nothing to fear from Cresselia, and can actually deal critical damage to Ghost- and Psychic-types like Chandelure and Latios. Scrafty is first and foremost a team supporter, not a TR sweeper.

Dark Gem should be dropped to AC and be replaced with Sitrus Berry for increased bulk. Leftovers deserve an AC mention, too.

Slash Ice Punch with Detect, to nail Flying-types.

I'd also AC mention Darkmalice's spread of 252 HP / 72 Atk / 100 Def / 84 SpD @ Expert Belt which allows it to survive a -1 Fighting Gem Close Combat from Hitmontop (without even a Chople Berry) and a Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Latios. With 72 Atk EVs and EB boost, it provides equivalent power as max Attack and Brave nature against targets that are weak to its moves - Expert Belt is useful for conserving Attack EVs so that Scrafty can invest more in defensive EVs, and it's particularly effective if Scrafty is running Ice Punch, too.

AC mention that 252 HP / 60 SpD, Sassy Nature allows Scrafty to survive a Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Modest Kyurem and Latios.

AC mention that Scrafty can run a few Spe EVs to successfully Fake Out against opposing Scrafty users.

Alright, having used Scrafty, I might as well check this over. (Disclaimer: Icecream posted in the middle of me checking this, so some of the things I mention might already be covered; sorry if that happens)

Overview
  • Fake Out + Intimidate is a more unique combo than Fake Out + Protect (I mean, anything with Fake Out more or less has Fake Out + Protect, which is a lot of 'mons); I'd put Intimidate and Fake Out together and drop Protect
  • I do disagree with Pocket a bit in terms of using it outside Trick Room, while it certainly works "efficiently" outside of Trick Room, Trick Room is the environment it operates best in, thanks to its low speed. I would really emphasize that it is a great Fake Out lead for Trick Room teams in particular, but it can also be used for other roles, primarily being a Fake Out + Intimidate 'mon that doesn't fear Psychic-types
Set
  • "Physical" isn't really the best name for the set imo, something like "Offensive Fake Out Support" or such would fit it better
  • Assuming the Sitrus change, I'd put Chople before Sitrus Berry, mostly because A) Drain Punch can be used for healing anyway, and B) Chople Berry can withstand a Fighting Gem Hitmontop CC (and a Fighting Gem CC off of Jolly Terrakion, while Adamant only OHKOs 6.25% of the time) even if it is a -0, and can allow Scrafty to withstand the many other Fighting-type attacks that the tier will throw at it; it also turns a +1 Bisharp Low Kick from a 2HKO to a 3HKO, though that is not as notable
  • On the subject of spreads, I don't have any, but I'm thinking Scrafty might operate better with a spread that has less HP EVs and more Def and SpD EVs, which would allow Drain Punch to heal more overall (thanks to lower HP), similar to Conkeldurr
Set Comments
  • Only thing here is to add in what Ice Punch can be used over Detect for, which is pretty important; I personally don't like it, as similar to Metagross's case, it cannot OHKO even frail threats like Tornadus with the move, and a Dark Gem Crunch would do more to Tornadus anyway
Additional Comments
  • Since the spread is a basic 252/252/4 spread, you don't really need to explain it; if you were to switch to DarkMalice's spread (which I don't recommend as the main spread), you would need to explain it
  • Don't really need to comment on Intimidate either here (you should move it to Set Comments)
  • I think Dark Gem should stay mentioned here, and just be taken off of the set; it can hurt a lot of threats, and capitalizes on Scrafty's offensive presence
  • One of my favorite teammates for Scrafty was Jellicent (I also enjoyed using Abomasnow as a lead with it sometimes, they synergize very well offensively); Jellicent is immune to faster Fake Outs, can set Trick Room, and then proceed to spam Water Spout, they are also pretty good switch-ins for eachother, easily tanking (or being immune to) attacks that would heavily damage the other
Other Options
  • I think this is a good place for DarkMalice's set, but AC would also be fine
  • Rest can be used with Chesto Berry, making the most of Scrafty's bulk
  • Super Fang is a great unexpected option (a Super Fang Scrafty screwed me over once in VGC x_x), and it can take a large chunk out of a bulkier threats' HP (Cresselia and Metagross, for example)
  • Taunt is pretty situational, but can prevent status moves or other Taunts from being thrown around, which is always useful
  • Snarl is something I'm a bit iffy about, but could work alongside Intimidate, weakening the offensive presence of the opposition
Checks & Counters
  • Metagross, especially those with Hammer Arm, will pose a big threat to Scrafty
  • It hates Togekiss a lot, it can redirect Fake Outs with Follow Me, tank its attacks fairly easily, doesn't care about Intimidate, and can deathflinch you with Air Slash
  • Sableye is also evil, it is immune to Fake Out, can Taunt any Trick Room setter that Scrafty might be paired with, completely incapacitates it with WoW, and can heal itself using either Pain Split or Recover

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't get me wrong, Scrafty is great with Trick Room support, but Trick Room isn't MANDATORY for Scrafty to operate.

Detect > Protect, because it is unaffected by Protect + Imprison. You would almost never run out of PPs in Doubles.

Other than that I agree with what Icecream said more-or-less

ninja'd by Nollan ;x I say keep Darkmalice's spread in AC, since it's essentially the same set, just different item and spread

I say keep Darkmalice's spread in AC, since it's essentially the same set, just different item and spread
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that Darkmalice's spread shouldn't be anywhere, I was just saying it shouldn't be the spread on the set, and should be in AC (just in case it was unclear, I did word that p. poorly).

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
· I would personally change the "Hi Jump Kick sucks" opinion to "Hi Jump Kick is ballsy", just to make sure you don't write it as if it is unviable.

· Heracross in C&C, can't do shit to this thing.

Other than this, I believe that the skeleton looks good after Icecream, Nollan, and Pocket's checks; basically stamping these i guess.

QC 1/3

You are missing a few things from my check, most notably the checks & counters I mentioned that are not named "Metagross". Togekiss and Sableye should be added, for the reasons I previously explained.

Drop Rock Slide from OO, because it is really, really weak. Drop Fire Punch as well, because it is redundant w/ Fighting-type in most cases and is also pretty weak. Choice Band is an option for OO, as it allows you to hit things p. hard, but a CB set would need to be exclusive almost entirely to Trick Room teams. Rock Slide might be worth a mention for CB only, but other than that, demolish it. :>

Finally, add Conkeldurr into C&C, it can tank any of Scrafty's attacks and can strike back with either Drain Punch or Hammer Arm.

It looks nice, so assuming you do aforementioned things:

QC APPROVAL 2/3

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No mention of Bulk Up? Scrafty gets a lot of free turns with its typing and Intimidate, and it's a heck of a lot better than Dragon Dance imo.

No mention of Bulk Up? Scrafty gets a lot of free turns with its typing and Intimidate, and it's a heck of a lot better than Dragon Dance imo.
The issue with Bulk Up (though I'm not much keener on Dragon Dance) is that Doubles is too fast paced for the defense boosts to pay off, unless your opponent plays poorly, making Dragon Dance superior. Set up in general sees little to no use in Doubles, regardless.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The issue with Bulk Up (though I'm not much keener on Dragon Dance) is that Doubles is too fast paced for the defense boosts to pay off, unless your opponent plays poorly, making Dragon Dance superior. Set up in general sees little to no use in Doubles, regardless.
What exactly does Scrafty outspeed with Dragon Dance anyway? Also, there are tons of free turns in doubles with which to set up a Bulk Up, instead of burning a Fake Out into Protect you could use BU and grab a nice boost. I'm just saying it's probably a better OO mention than Dragon Dance, since the attack boost helps you under TR, and the Def boost is like a free Intimidate.

Yeah I can see the point. I'd opt to add it, though it'd be nice for some second opinions, in case I'm missing something.

Pocket

I tested Bulk Up, and it was effective in giving Scrafty nice physical bulk and power. Thanks to Scrafty's Intimidate and natural fattiness, it can set up Bulk Up comfortably. As tennisace has mentioned, the fear of Fake Out also forces a defensive stance from the opponent, buying Scrafty a free turn of set up.

I wouldn't mind having Bulk Up mentioned in AC; it should be mentioned in OO at least

ScraftyIsTheBest, you can also OO mention Moxie, too. Since it can actually be a mean TR sweeper with an attack boost or two. Usually they would be holding Gems or Expert Belt to facilitate KOs / Moxie boost.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ScraftyIsTheBest
allows Scrafty to land a strong blow on Garchomp and Tornadus - and Landorus
survive Latios's Draco Meteor- mention that it lives gem
again mention gem for Hitmontop as well
also for checks and counters- Salamence, Gyarados, Tornadus, other Flying-type Pokemon. Mence and Gyarados intimidate, while Torn has defiant and flying-type STAB is well, flying-type stab

When mentioning a type, Fighting-type is used. Other then that good write up, let me know when these changes are mad

Pocket

ScraftyIsTheBest, I actually have a few more corrections before going ahead with grammar checks

Overview
  • You haven't sold Scrafty's impressive bulk and STAB Crunch enough - these are the two elements that distinguish Scrafty from Hitmontop. Outside of Intimidate, Hitmontop gets banged up quite easily, whereas Scrafty is durable, and can offer a more prolonged support of Intimidate and Fake Out. Hitmontop is hard-countered by Ghost- (ie Chandelure) and Psychic-types (ie Cresselia, Latios) that run rampant to set up Trick Room, whereas Scrafty eats them for breakfast.
  • Rather than ending with a cliche "despite its faults, Scrafty is good if you play be its strength!!!" specify the strengths of Scrafty that I just outlined in the previous point
  • Hitmontop doesn't necessarily give Scrafty competition because of its Speed and power, but mainly because of its access to useful support moves, such as Wide Guard, Feint, and Helping Hand.
Set
  • Specify that 252 HP / 60 SpD is to survive MODEST Latios's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor
  • AC mention Leftovers, since Scrafty has enough bulk to survive for more than 4 turns. The item also offsets sand / hail damage
  • In your Ice Punch explanation, replace Tornadus for Thundurus, a more common target of Scrafty's Ice Punch (Scrafty would not want to stay in on Tornadus's Acrobatics, unless Trick Room is up.
  • Your teammate description of Abomasnow and Reuniclus are vague, provide specific details on how they support Scrafty. Abomasnow can dispose Flying-types with an Ice Shard or Scarf Blizzard, while Reuniclus offers TR support and an offense against Fighting-types. Note that the partnership is mutual, and describe how Scrafty benefits those two. Scrafty provides Intimidate support to soften the blows by the likes of Scizor, and it can deal with Tyranitar, Heatran, and Chandelure, all major annoyances to Hail teams. It aids Reuniclus to set up Trick Room thanks to Fake Out, and it disposes opposing Psychic-, Dark-, and Ghost-types that would give Reuniclus trouble
Other Options
  • Mention a user with moves Imprison and Protect would be ideal if Scrafty were to use HJK. This will disable people from using Protect.
  • For Dragon Dance, elaborate that Scrafty is fast enough to be faster than Tornadus after +1 if it's Jolly

Pocket

Edited in the changes that were missing, and added some flair to the overview. Thanks for implementing most of the changes, though, ScraftyIsTheBest

This is ready for grammar!

QC APPROVED (3/3)

add remove
[Overview]

<p>Scrafty has a unique Dark / Fighting typing that allows it to dominate Tyranitar and Cresselia, three two of the greatest tanks in Doubles. Intimidate is also a great ability in Doubles that works very well with Scrafty's impressive bulk. Its immunity to Psychic-type moves also allows it to stand out from Hitmontop, the other Intimidate Fighting-type in the tier. Scrafty also stands out from Hitmontop with its ability to bite off large chunks of health from Chandelure, Cresselia, and Latios with its STAB Crunch. Its access to Fake Out further bolster bolsters its utility in Doubles. However, Scrafty suffers from a poor Speed stat, which leaves it outsped by a lot of Pokemon. Hitmontop also gives Scrafty competition as a Fighting-type with Intimidate;,(AC) with its access to other useful support moves such as Wide Guard, Feint, and Helping Hand. Scrafty also lacks massive firepower, having only base 90 Attack and relatively weak STABs. However, it is able to hit many prevalent threats in Doubles for lethal super effective damage, and can provide a more prolonged Intimidate + Fake Out support than Hitmontop, thanks to its superior bulk.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Scrafty's best set in the Doubles metagame. Its typing and bulk allow it to take on common threats in Doubles such as Cresselia, Latios, and Tyranitar. Scrafty's Fighting STAB also allows it to take on the most common answer to Intimidate users, Bisharp. Intimidate in general is also a great ability, as being able to weaken opposing physical attackers is fairly valuable. Fake Out is the main move here, allowing Scrafty to stop one opponent from moving; the free damage is also noteworthy. Drain Punch serves as a decently powerful and reliable STAB move that also provides recovery. Crunch is secondary STAB that provides great coverage with Drain Punch. Detect is a useful move in Doubles that can block a hit;,(AC) and is it's preferred over Protect to bypass Imprison. Ice Punch, however, allows Scrafty to land a strong blow on Garchomp, Landorus, and Thundurus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Chople Berry is the preferred item here to endure Fighting-type moves, notably Hitmontop's Close Combat. A Sitrus Berry, however, can give Scrafty decent recovery outside of Drain Punch once. A Dark Gem, however, can be useful to deliver a stronger Crunch for one turn. The utility Chople Berry and Sitrus Berry provide, however, is much more useful. Leftovers is also a viable option, since Scrafty is quite durable and this also cancels out hail and sand damage. There are also a number of viable alternate EV spreads over the one listed. 252 HP / 72 Atk / 100 Def / 84 SpD with an Expert Belt is usable to survive Latios's Dragon Gem-(hyphen)boosted Draco Meteor and Hitmontop's Fighting Gem-(hyphen)boosted Close Combat (after Intimidate), and provides as much power as maximum Attack Scrafty against targets weak to its moves. 252 HP and 60 SpD Special Defense EVs can also be used to live a Dragon Gem-(hyphen)boosted Draco Meteor from Modest Kyurem and Modest Latios. 4 Speed EVs allow Scrafty to outpace opposing Scrafty and use Fake Out against them.</p>

<p>Dusclops and Cresselia are both great teammates for Scrafty, sporting good synergy while they can being able to set up Trick Room; they can also run Helping Hand to allow it Scrafty to deliver stronger blows. Jellicent is also a viable teammate that synergizes well defensively with Scrafty,.(period) while Abomasnow has good offensive synergy as it can handle Flying-types such as Tornadus well with its Ice STAB, whereas Scrafty provides Intimidate support to lessen blows from Scizor and handles Tyranitar, Heatran, and Chandelure. Other Pokemon such as Reuniclus can be useful as well, as Reuniclus can handle Fighting-types, and Scrafty can aid in its ability to set up Trick Room with Fake Out and also handles opposing Psychic-, Ghost-, and Dark-type Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hi Jump Kick is a usable move over Drain Punch for its great power;,(AC) but with the ubiquity of Protect in Doubles, this is very risky. If used, however, a Pokemon with Imprison and Protect should be used to disable the said move. A Choice Band can be used to allow Scrafty to hit harder at the cost of not being able to effectively utilize Fake Out. Dragon Dance can be used to make Scrafty faster and stronger and can work with Follow Me or Rage Powder support, and it outspeeds Tornadus after one boost. Outside of that, however, it's fairly risky to set up. Bulk Up is also a usable option to boost Scrafty's power and bulk, and works quite well with Intimidate. Moxie is a decent ability that allows Scrafty to become pretty scary after numerous a few KO'(remove apostrophe)s, and is good for Trick Room Tteams. Low Kick can be used to do heavier damage more damage to heavier opponents, but misses out on the recovery and consistency Drain Punch provides. Taunt can allow Scrafty to stop Trick Room users, but is very situational otherwise. Finally, ChestoRest can be used to keep Scrafty healthy once.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop is the best answer to Scrafty available, taking little damage from it Scrafty thanks to Intimidate while it can hit it back hard with Close Combat. Landorus-T also has Intimidate;,(AC) while Breloom, Hariyama, and Conkeldurr can hit Scrafty hard with their Fighting STAB. Toxicroak and Heracross resist both of Scrafty's STAB and hit it fairly hard in return. Tornadus also has Flying STAB to nail Scrafty, as well as Defiant to benefit from Intimidate. Gyarados and Salamence can take on most of what Scrafty has to muster thanks to Intimidate, though Salamence must be wary of Ice Punch. Metagross and Togekiss have enough bulk to take whatever Scrafty has to offer and can hit it back fairly hard. Sableye also has Will-O-Wisp to burn Scrafty and weaken its damage output. Overall, the best way to handle Scrafty is by taking it on with something reasonably bulky.</p>

gp 1/2

Last edited:
GP check! pre-implemented pika's check
additions
subtractions
comments

[Overview]

<p>Scrafty has a unique Dark / Fighting typing that which allows it to dominate Tyranitar and Cresselia, two of the greatest tanks in Doubles. Intimidate is a great ability in Doubles that works very well with Scrafty's impressive bulk. Its immunity to Psychic-type moves also allows it to stand out from Hitmontop, the other Intimidate-using Fighting-type in the tier. Scrafty also stands out from Hitmontop with its ability to bite off large chunks of health from Chandelure, Cresselia, and Latios with its STAB Crunch. Its access to Fake Out further bolsters its utility in Doubles. However, Scrafty suffers from having a poor Speed stat, which leaves it outsped by a lot of Pokemon. Hitmontop also gives Scrafty competition as a Fighting-type with Intimidate, with its and has access to other useful support moves such as Wide Guard, Feint, and Helping Hand. Scrafty also lacks massive firepower, having only base 90 Attack and relatively weak STAB moves. However, it is able to hit many prevalent threats in Doubles for super effective damage, and can provide a more prolonged Intimidate + Fake Out support than Hitmontop,(RC) thanks to its superior bulk.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Scrafty's best set in the Doubles metagame. Its typing and bulk allow it to take on common threats in Doubles,(AC) such as Cresselia, Latios, and Tyranitar. Scrafty's Fighting STAB also allows it to take on the most common answer to Intimidate users, Bisharp. Intimidate is a great ability, as being able to weaken opposing physical attackers is fairly valuable. Fake Out is the main move here on this set, allowing and allows Scrafty to stop one opponent from moving for the turn of its usage; the free damage is also noteworthy. Drain Punch serves as a decently powerful and reliable STAB move that also provides recovery. Crunch is secondary STAB move that and(what you said implied that it's another move that provides good coverage w/ drain punch; what i did clarifies that) provides great coverage with Drain Punch. Detect is a useful move in Doubles that can block a hit, and it's preferred over Protect to as it bypasses Imprison. Ice Punch, however, allows Scrafty to land a strong blow on Garchomp, Landorus, and Thundurus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Chople Berry is the preferred item here to endure as it lets Scrafty avoid the OHKO from some Fighting-type moves, notably Hitmontop's Close Combat. A Sitrus Berry, however, can give Scrafty decent recovery outside of Drain Punch once. A Dark Gem, can be useful to deliver a stronger Crunch for one turn. The utility that Chople Berry and Sitrus Berry provide, however, is much more useful. Leftovers is also a viable option, since as Scrafty is quite durable and this it also cancels out hail and sand damage. There are also a number of viable alternate EV spreads over the one listed. 252 HP / 72 Atk / 100 Def / 84 SpD with an Expert Belt is usable to survive Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor and Hitmontop's Fighting Gem-boosted Close Combat (after Intimidate), and provides as much power as maximum Attack Scrafty against targets weak to its moves. 252 HP and 60 Special Defense EVs can also be used to live a Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor from Modest Kyurem and Modest Latios. 4 Speed EVs allow Scrafty to outpace opposing Scrafty and use Fake Out against them.</p>

<p>Dusclops and Cresselia are both great teammates for Scrafty, sporting good synergy while being able to set up Trick Room; they can also run Helping Hand to allow let Scrafty to deliver stronger blows. Jellicent is also a viable teammate that synergizes well defensively with Scrafty. Abomasnow has good offensive synergy as it can handle Flying-types such as Tornadus well with its Ice STAB, whereas while Scrafty provides Intimidate support to lessen blows from Scizor and handles Tyranitar, Heatran, and Chandelure. Other Pokemon such as Reuniclus can be useful as well, as Reuniclus can handle Fighting-types, and Scrafty can aid in its ability to set up Trick Room with Fake Out and also handle opposing Psychic-, Ghost-, and Dark-type Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hi Jump Kick is a usable move over Drain Punch for its great power, but with the ubiquity of as Protect is an extremely common move in Doubles, this using it is very risky. If used, however, a Pokemon with Imprison and Protect should be used to disable said move. A Choice Band can be used to allow Scrafty to hit harder give Scrafty more power(allow/let was getting monotonous) at the cost of not being able to effectively utilize Fake Out. Dragon Dance can be used to make Scrafty faster and stronger,(AC) and can work with Follow Me or Rage Powder support, and it outspeeds Tornadus after one boost. Outside of that, however, it's fairly risky to set up with. Bulk Up is also a usable option to boost Scrafty's power and bulk, and works quite well with Intimidate. Moxie is a decent ability that allows Scrafty to become pretty scary after a few KOs, and is good for Trick Room teams. Low Kick can be used to do more damage to heavier opponents, but misses out on the recovery and consistency Drain Punch provides. Taunt can allow(rephrase this however you like) Scrafty to stop Trick Room users, but is very situational otherwise. Finally, ChestoRest can be used to keep Scrafty healthy once fully heal Scrafty once.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hitmontop is the best answer to Scrafty available, taking little damage from Scrafty thanks to Intimidate while it can hit , while hitting back hard with Close Combat. Landorus-T also has Intimidate, while Breloom, Hariyama, and Conkeldurr can hit Scrafty hard with their Fighting STAB, making them good checks/counters(use one of these words). Toxicroak and Heracross resist both of Scrafty's STAB moves and hit it fairly hard in return. Tornadus also has Flying STAB to nail Scrafty, as well as Defiant to benefit from Intimidate. Gyarados and Salamence can take on most of what Scrafty has to muster throw at them thanks to Intimidate, though Salamence must be wary of Ice Punch. Metagross and Togekiss have enough bulk to take whatever Scrafty has to offer and can hit back fairly hard. Sableye has Will-O-Wisp to burn Scrafty and weaken its damage output. Overall, the best way to handle Scrafty is by taking it on with something reasonably bulky.</p>

GP APPROVED 2/2(wish i had a custom stamp)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)