Scraggy (GP 2/2)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Scraggy is quite the unusual Pokemon. Despite its deceptively low base stats and NFE status Scraggy is, in reality, one of most unique boosting sweepers in the tier. With high defenses thanks to Eviolite, access to Bulk Up, and an immunity to Psychic-type attacks, it stands out among the many Fighting-types in the NU tier. Scraggy also possesses the rare Shed Skin ability, which gives it a 30% chance to heal itself of status at the end of each turn. This, combined with the above factors, makes Scraggy extremely hard to take down without a super effective move. Sadly, there is a reason that this little lizard is overlooked; despite impressive bulk and access to a move that boosts its Defense, powerful super effective moves from foes such as Sawk, Swellow, Braviary, and Rotom-S will cripple it or outright KO it. Scraggy needs some team support to handle these threats, or it will not succeed. Nonetheless, watch out for Scraggy, because if you aren't prepared for it it can easily tear up your team right before your eyes, and is not to be underestimated.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Payback / Crunch
move 4: Rest
item: Eviolite
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Scraggy's most effective set, and differentiates itself from Throh and Gurdurr with its secondary Dark typing, Shed Skin + Rest combo, and perfect coverage with just its STAB moves. Scraggy is easily able to set up on the likes of Duosion, Haunter, and Mesprit as it is resistant or immune to their STAB moves and takes little damage from any other moves, even Hidden Power Fighting. Scraggy's boosting move, Bulk Up, raises its Defense to very high levels, while also boosting its Attack. Drain Punch adds to Scraggy's longevity, hitting relatively hard and restoring a good amount of its HP. Due to Scraggy's low HP stat, this recovery can go a long way. Out of Scraggy's Dark-type STAB moves, Payback is the main option due to Scraggy's low Speed, but Crunch is more reliable and still hurts quite a bit after a few Bulk Ups. Rest is one of the main reasons why Scraggy is not outclassed by Gurdurr and Throh; with a combination of Shed Skin and Rest Scraggy can recover all of its health in one turn and has a nice 30% chance of being healed from its sleeping state while doing so at the end of every turn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If you prefer a more powerful Fighting-type move, Hi Jump Kick is an option over Drain Punch. Although Hi Jump Kick is nearly twice as powerful, Drain Punch is the standard because of the recovery and reliability it offers. Dragon Tail can be used over Scraggy's Dark-type STAB move to prevent Pokemon such as Throh and Gurdurr from setting up alongside it, but one of Scraggy's main jobs is to set up on and KO opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types, and losing Crunch or Payback makes this much harder to do. Scraggy will need some team support to pull off a sweep because some common Pokemon can easily take it on if it has not yet gained any boosts. Teammates that can get rid of Sawk are very useful to Scraggy. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Musharna and Duosion, make excellent partners because they can sponge Fighting-type moves for Scraggy. Another good partner is Vileplume, who can take most Fighting-type attacks with ease, while also being able to heal Scraggy of any status problems it might have with Aromatherapy. Misdreavus is also an excellent teammate for Scraggy, being immune to Fighting-type moves and using Will-O-Wisp to burn foes that threaten it. Scraggy also has trouble with Flying-types, such as Rotom-S, Swellow, and Braviary, so a Pokemon that can take them on is much appreciated. Regirock is an excellent teammate, taking all Flying-type moves with ease, setting up Stealth Rock, and helping Scraggy deal with Magmortar. Golem, Gigalith, and Probopass also make good teammates for this role, because each one can take on some of the Pokemon that give Scraggy trouble. Be wary though, as all of these Pokemon share a Fighting-type weakness with Scraggy, making a Bulky Psychic- or Poison-type that much more essential.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Scraggy has a few other options it can use, the most notable of which is Dragon Dance. Dragon Dance Scraggy outruns positive-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon after one boost and if it somehow sets up, it is more than capable of sweeping. However, Scraggy is still quite slow after a Dragon Dance, and it can be checked quite easily. Scraggy can also use a SubPunch set, but is outclassed by the likes of Kangaskhan and Gurdurr in this role. Scraggy has a wide attacking movepool, which includes moves such as Stone Edge, Poison Jab, the elemental punches, and even Dragon Claw. Scraggy already has perfect coverage with just its STAB attacks, so most of the time, these utility moves are not needed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Scraggy can be a thorn in an opponent's side due to its bulk and ability to sweep, but it has several counters that prevent it from ripping teams to shreds. The most notable of these is Sawk. Sawk can easily switch in on Scraggy and force it out with the threat of a super effective Close Combat. Gurdurr does the same, and can also set up alongside Scraggy with its own Bulk Up. Swellow can easily take out Scraggy after a Guts boost, but must be careful, as +1 Scraggy can tank a Brave Bird and KO Swellow in return with Drain Punch. Braviary is also a good check, coming in and threatening Scraggy with Brave Bird. Throh is as close to a hard counter as you can get; not only can it boost alongside Scraggy, it can also phaze the little lizard out with Circle Throw. Rotom-S can threaten Scraggy with Air Slash or Trick away its Eviolite, which will cut its defenses severely. Pokemon with methods to remove stat boosts such as Weezing, Amoonguss, and Garbodor make excellent checks to Scraggy, as they can quash its attempts to boost and force it out. Weezing also has an impressive base 120 Defense stat and Pain Split to work with, making it one of the best Scraggy checks available. Quagsire is a good check as well; with Unaware, Quagsire can ignore any stat boosts Scraggy has and completely wall it. Tangela can wall Scraggy effortlessly with its exceptional physical bulk, but struggles to damage Scraggy in return.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Scraggy's hidden ability is Intimidate. While this seems like an excellent ability for Scraggy, Shed Skin's utility is almost always preferred.</p>

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
fail links are fail :P

but yea, this is amazing, awesome poke Molk

I really think DTail deserves the slash next to Crunch, it deters most psychics from trying to set up in it's face as much so as Crunch (if not more so), and can actually get really annoying with enough hazards up. I know it already has an AC mention, but I think it's a little more worthwhile than that implies

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Mention that incredibly powerful special attackers (re: Specs Eggy) can still make a pretty hefty dent. Specs Leaf Storm does 72.36% - 85.19% (which is actually pretty impressive in itself). Gurdurr can Bulk Up along with it and wins thanks to a super effective Drain Punch. Note in particular that Braviary does 73.68% - 87.5% to a +1 Scraggers and it doesn't do enough damage in return to KO. Phazing in general is a decent way to deal with it, though most phazers don't appreciate repeated damage from like +1 Drain Punches. Tangela sort of ties with it, since neither can really do anything to each other bar crits, though Scraggy is certainly no fan of Leech Seed. Mention that Scraggy also sets up on Skuntank, one of the more common Pursuit users (sans Absol :/) so those Ghosts/Psychics can work well with it.

I can't think of anything else so if the other QCers don't have anything to say, you got a stamp from me.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
added, might add the eggy calc as surviving a specs leaf storm is p. impressive

Zebraiken's suggestion is good by me. this isn't a mon you can just throw on a team, it has a specific role in this metagame and has teams built around it.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
also, opinions and logs on the DRAGON DANCE set would be cool, my main issue with it is that its weak with eviolite and frail with Life Orb, but it works pretty well behind screens.

should it get its own set QC members?

Hey, I'm really liking Scraggy so far!

My only suggestion is that maybe Payback > Crunch, it's not like you will need to hit many things on the switch with a Dark-type move as many of the common switch-ins barely care about taking a Payback/Crunch and the extra damage can be useful at times.

Your mention of Dragon Tail is flawed; Scraggy already beats Duosion! I think it should be moved to OO, as it's not that useful, but I guess preventing things like Gurdurr and Throh from setting up on you can be useful. I'd like your input on this, as I haven't tested out Dragon Tail on Scraggy myself.

Also, Tangela doesn't "tie" against it; it can Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and slowly sap away at Scraggy's health. While it does have Shed Skin, Sleep Powder can still cripple Scraggy for 1-2 turns, or more if you're really unlucky with sleep.

Edit: One other thing. This is very minor, but Garbodor and Weezing usually use Clear Smog to get rid of boosts, not Haze!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
btw scraggy's drain punch and payback hit harder than throh's circle throw and payback so being weak isnt totally true.

279 Atk vs 200 Def & 300 HP (75 Base Power): 112 - 133 (37.33% - 44.33%) <--- scraggy +1 DP

309 Atk vs 200 Def & 300 HP (60 Base Power): 100 - 118 (33.33% - 39.33%) <----- throh +1 circle throw

279 Atk vs 200 Def & 300 HP (100 Base Power): 151 - 178 (50.33% - 59.33%) <----- scraggy +1 payback

309 Atk vs 200 Def & 300 HP (100 Base Power): 111 - 131 (37.00% - 43.67%) <---- throh +1 payback

also slashing payback with crunch cause the power makes a difference

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It really hasn't impressed me at all aside from the gimmick factor, and that's really all it is.

QC Reject 1/3

It really hasn't impressed me at all aside from the gimmick factor, and that's really all it is.

QC Reject 1/3
Explain? I'd say Scraggy is far from a gimmick, it's pretty easy to set up, hard to break down once it starts setting up, and unlike Gurdurr it can actually get past the prominent Psychic-types. This is what I consider to be its main use, it does well against practically every Psychic-type, while being a fairly formidable threat that can sweep; unlike Skuntank. It also beats Misdreavus and can check Haunter fairly well. (252SpAtk Life Orb Haunter (Neutral) Sludge Bomb vs 252HP/252SpDef Eviolite Scraggy (+SpDef): 34% - 41% (106 - 126 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.)

It's true you can't attempt a sweep right away, you have to be catious at first, but so as various other stat up sweepers. Scraggy really only has trouble with like TrickScarf Rotom-S and the occasional NU Fighting-type. (The only common one is Sawk... the other ones are quite a lot less common.)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
the main reason i looked at scraggy is that it sets up on things like mesprit that other bulk up users are easily beaten by, it also beats misdreavus if you get lucky with shed skin. as i said in my last post scraggy's attacks actually hit harder than throh, so being weak isnt an issue either. it works well with another bulk up user such as gurdurr, because they check each others counters. the most competition scraggy gets is gurdurr, but due to shedrest scraggy lasts longer on average, and once again can beat those pesky psychics.

waiting for more approvals/rejects

Scraggy is able to set up against common Psychic types, and its ability allows for it set up without killing itself. Gurdurr will either kill itself since you can easily stop it from using Drain Punch with a resist/Ghost type, or it will place itself into KO range due to status. In my opinion, that sets it aside enough from Gurdurr to warrant its own analysis.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, I'm going to give this my approval (if MoltenKyurem stops raving about it/various other things on IRC x___x). Scraggy generally performed above and beyond expectations when I used it.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

IMO it requires a lot of team support and certain opponents to be taken out before it attempts a sweep. I'm not going to outright reject this for now, but if someone else rejects it, I probably will as well.

EDIT: Sorry, molk, better luck next time..... Yanma? lol

QC REJECTED (2/3)

sorry... i couldn't resist xD

Molk

Godlike Usmash
@zebraiken, glad it worked out for you, but i would like the new stamp :P (you know which one i mean)

also, imo scraggy fits on any team that has trouble with psychics and ghosts, it pretty much stops them all bar eggy cold =D

also, lol thats a good GIF

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p> (Remove Space)Scraggy is quite the unusual Pokemon, (Period) dDespite its deceptively low base stats and NFE status, (Remove Comma) Scraggy is, in reality(Comma) one of most unique boosting sweepers is in the tier. With high defenses thanks to Eviolite, access to Bulk Up, and an immuity immunity to Psychic-Ttype attacks, Scraggy it stands out among the many Fighting-Ttypes in the NU tier. Scraggy also posesses possesses the rare Shed Skin ability, which allows it gives it a 30% chance (Note: 30, not 33) to heal itself of status 33% of the time at the end of a each turn, (Period) tThis combined with the above factors makes Scraggy extremely hard to take down without a super-(Remove Hyphen)effective move. Sadly its not all fun and games for the little lizard, Sadly, there's a reason that this little lizard is overlooked; despite impressive bulk and access to a move that boosts its defense Defense, powerful super-(Remove Hyphen)effective moves from enemies foes such as Sawk, Swellow, Braviary, and Rotom-sS will cripple it, or outright KO it. Scraggy needs some team support to handle these threats, or it will not succeed. Nothenless Nonetheless, Wwatch out for Scraggy, because if you aren(Apostrophe)t prepared for it, (Remove Comma) it can easily tear up your team right before your eyes, and it is not to be underestimated(Period)</p>

(Remove extra lines)

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Payback / Crunch
move 4: Rest
item: Eviolite
ability: Shed Skin
Nnature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spdef SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Scraggy's best set for the NU tier, making itself different from throh and gurdurr through its Dark-type, Shed Skin+Rest, and unresisted STAB. This is Scraggy's most effective set, and differentiates itself from Throh and Gurdurr with its secondary Dark typing, Shed Skin + Rest combo, and perfect coverage with just its STAB moves. Scraggy is easily able to set up on the likes of Duosion, Haunter, and Mesprit.(Comma) Being immune to their STAB attacks and taking little from even the super-effective Hidden Power Fighting, and striking back with a STAB Dark-type move for the KO. as it is resistant or immune to their STAB moves and takes little damage from any other moves, even Hidden Power Fighting. Bulk Up is Scraggy's boosting move, Bulk Up, raising raises its Defense to very high levels, (Remove Comma) while also boosting its Attack enough to easily 2HKO most frailer threats. Drain Punch adds to Scraggy's longetivity longevity, hitting relatively hard and restoring a good amount of Scraggy's its HP. Due to Scraggy's low HP and high Defenses stat, this recovery can go a long way. Payback and Crunch are both More powerful than Drain Punch, and should be used when Scraggy doesnt need any more HP. Of Scrafty's Dark-type STAB moves, Payback is the main option due to Scraggy's low Speed, but Crunch is a more reliable option, and still hurts quite a bit after a few bulk ups Bulk Ups. Rest is one of the main reasons why Scraggy is not outclassed by Gurdurr and Throh.(Semicolon) Wwith a combination of Shed Skin and Rest(Comma) Scraggy can recover all of its health in one turn, (Remove Comma) and has a nice 33% 30% chance of getting being healed from its sleeping state while doing so at the end of every turn.</p>

(Remove extra line)
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> (Remove Space)If you prefer more power off of Scraggy's average base attack a more powerful Fighting-type move, Hi Jump Kick is an option over Drain Punch. Although Hi Jump Kick is nearly twice as powerful as Drain Punch, Drain Punch is the usual option standard because of the recovery and reliablility reliability it has offers, While Hi Jump Kick is a more high risk attack. Dragon Tail can be used over Scraggy's Dark-type STAB move to prevent Pokemon like such as Throh and Gurdurr from setting up on Scraggy alongside it, but one of Scraggy's main jobs is to set up on and KO opposing Ghost- and Psychic-types Pokemon, and losing Crunch or Payback makes this much harder to do. Scraggy needs some team support to sweep because a few common threats have no trouble taking on an unboosted Scraggy and Crippling it. Scraggy will need some team support to pull off a sweep because some common Pokemon can easily take it on if it has not yet gained any boosts. Pokemon to take out Teammates that can get rid of Sawk are very useful to Scraggy, (Period) bBulky Psychic-Ttypes such as Musharna and Duosion make excellent partners for sponging because they can sponge Fighting-Ttype moves for Scraggy. Another good partner is Vileplume, who can take most Fighting-Ttype attacks with ease, (Remove Comma) while also being able to heal Scraggy of any status problems it might have with Aromatherapy. Misdreavus is also an excellent teammate for Scraggy, being immune to Fighting-Ttype moves and burning things that threaten Scraggy with Will-O-Wisp using Will-O-Wisp to burn foes that threaten it. Scraggy also has trouble with Flying-Ttypes such as Rotom-S, Swellow, and Braviary, so a Pokemon that can also take those them on is much appreciated. Regirock is an excellent teammate, taking all Flying-Ttype moves with ease, setting up Stealth Rock, and helping Scraggy out against deal with Magmortar. Golem, Gigalith, and Probopass also make good teammates for this Rrole, because each one can take on some of the Pokemon that give Scraggy trouble. Be wary, (Remove Comma) though(Comma) as all of these Pokemon share a Fighting-Ttype weakness with Scraggy, making a Bulky Psychic- or Poison- (Remove Space)Ttype that much more essential.</p>

(Remove extra line)
[Other Options]

<p> (Remove Space)Scraggy has a small set of few other options it can use, the most notable of which is Dragon Dance. Dragon Dance Scraggy outruns up to positive-natured base 95's Speed foes after one boost and if Scraggy it somehow sets up, it is more than Ccapable of sweeping, (Period) but However, Scraggy is still Qquite slow after a Dragon Dance, making Dragon Dance not the best option and it can be checked quite easily. Scraggy can also use a SubpPunch set, but is outclassed by the likes of Kangaskhan and Gurdurr in this role, making it an inferior option. Scraggy has a wide attacking movepool, which includes moves like such as Stone Edge, Poison Jab, the Eelemental Ppunches, and even Dragon Claw! But with Scraggy's already has perfect coverage in with just its STAB attacks, so most of the time, these utility moves are usually not uneeded. Scraggy makes a good recipient of Attack and Speed boosts from Ninjask or a full Baton Pass chain, Due to its high defenses, Moxie, and its amazing Coverage. But without Smeargle in the tier Baton Pass chains are much harder to pull off, so Scraggy wont see much in this role. (Remove Space)</p>

(Remove extra line)
[Checks and Counters]

<p> (Remove Space)Scraggy can be a thorn in an opponent(Apostrophe)s side due to its bulk and ability to sweep, but it has several hard counters that prevent it from ripping teams to shreds. The most notable of these is Sawk, (Period) Sawk can easily switch in on a Crunch from Scraggy, or while it is setting up a Bulk Up, and force it out with the threat of a super-(Remove Hyphen)effective Close Combat, (Period) Gurdurr does the same, while and can also being able to set up with alongside Scraggy with its own Bulk Up. Swellow can easily take out Scraggy after a gGuts boost, but beware as Scraggy can take Swellow's unboosted Brave Bird after a bulk up and KO with Drain Punch in return must be careful, as +1 Scraggy can tank a Brave Bird and KO Swellow in return with Drain Punch. Braviary is also a good check, coming in and threatening Scraggy with a Brave Bird. Throh is as close to a hard counter as you can get,(Semicolon) not just being able to only can it boost with alongside Scraggy, but also it can phaze it the little lizard out with Circle Throw. Rotom-S can hit threaten Scraggy with Air Slash, (Remove Comma) or tTrick away its Eviolite, rendering Scraggy helpless against powerful attackers which will cut its defenses severely. Pokemon with methods to remove stat boosts such as Weezing, Amoonguss, and Garbodor make excellent checks to Scraggy, Removing its boosts and preventing it from sweeping your team, as they can quash its attempts to boost and force it out. Weezing also has a high an impressive base 120 Defense stat and Pain Split to work with, making it one of the best Scraggy checks available. Quagsire is a good check as well, (Semicolon) with Unaware, Quagsire can ignore any stat boosts Scraggy has, (Remove Comma) and completely wall it. Keep in mind, though that Scraggy can eventually outstall Quagsire and get past it. Tangela cannot do much back to Scraggy outside of Leech Seed, but completely walls Scraggy and prevents it from sweeping Tangela can wall Scraggy effortlessly with its exceptional physical bulk, but struggles to damage Scraggy in return.</p>

[Dream World]

<p> (Remove Space)Scraggy's hidden ability is Intimidate, (Period) wWhile this sounds seems like an excellent ability for Scraggy, Shed Skin's utility is almost always preferred.</p>
A few tips:

It's super effective. Not capitalized, no hyphen.
Dark-type, no capital t.
Use "such as" when listing examples. Like refers to things that are similar to what you're listing.

Otherwise, nicely done!

GP Approved 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)