Scyther Analyses

Overview
########

-Nice Speed, and high attack applying massive damage.

-Great Ability, Technican powering up most of Scyther's moves

-Poor Defensive Typing

-Needs defogger/spinner as it is 4x weak to rocks.

-Walled by some steel types

########
name: Scyther
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Baton Pass
ability: Technican
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Speed
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
-Knock off is for the most common Pokemon that doesn’t appreciate it, Doublade. It is also used to weaken Gligar and Goldbat.

-Aerial Ace is Scyther’s main STAB move that gets the boost from its ability technician allowing it to do nice damage.

-Swords Dance is to Gain +2 Advantage which allows you to attack or baton pass

-Baton Pass is to pass the current user's stat changes to the next Pokemon

Set Details
========
-Scyther Can swords dance up and Sweep, or Baton Pass to the next Pokemon allowing another Pokemon to sweep

-Max attack allows Scyther to do a HEAVY amount of damage to walls such as Cressilia. 252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 252-296 (56.7 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-Max speed Allows Scyther to out speed most of the tier excluding the few Pokémon over base 105 speed.

-Technican powers up every one of Scyther’s moves allowing it to deal more damage.

Usage Tips
========
-Defog hazard as Scyther is very weak to them

-Switch to avoid status

-Don’t get pursuited trying to Baton Pass and get yourself killed or weakened.

Team Options
========

-Dugtrio is a great partner because it can KO steel stypes with STAB earthquake

-You need a defogger because of Scyther's 4x’s weakness to rocks.

-Jolteon’s a great partner being able to volt switch straight into Scyther, gaining momentum.

Other Options
########

-Choice Band Set Allowing Scyther to do more damage however this set isn't as effective and can be walled easilly

-Possible scarf allowing Scyther to revenge kill but Scyther does a better job at wallbreaking.

Checks & Counters
########

-STATUS effects Scyther. A status such a thunder wave or will-o-wisp will end Scyther's ability to do massive damage. Also taunt must be mentioned not allowing Scyther to Baton Pass

-Steel types completely wall scyther. Atk Choice Band Scyther Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 154-182 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Last edited:
I have a lot of experience with Scyther and i feel like an eviolite SD set with roost serial ace and Knock off or Baton pass is its best bet as it has a good matchup against balance and weak stall as it beats a lot of common cores (amoonguss+slowking, Gligar+slowking, aromatisse+slowking) and can get to +6 on common switch ins like mola and bp if burned.

Having used choices scyther too I have to say that it isn't as good and, while hazards are easy to remove with defog you are forced to go almost hazardless making u-turn spam less useful IMO

Also band and scarf should be separated because of policy.

I hope I helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)