Status
Not open for further replies.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.

u wanna fuckin go m8 i'll fuck u up m8

Overview
########

+ High Attack and Speed stats
+ Is gifted with the amazing ability of Technician, giving it two great STABs in Bug Bite and Aerial Ace
+ Can boost Attack in the form of Swords Dance, and can boost Speed in the form of Agility
+ Has access to Baton Pass, allowing it to pass Speed and Attack boosts
+ Has access to priority in the form of Quick Attack, which is boosted by Technician
+ Can also use Defog to clear off hazards
+ Has the same BST as Scizor
- Has a horrible typing, giving it a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock
- Doesn't have very good bulk, making it get 2HKO'd by any STAB move that it doesn't resist

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-Turn
move 2: Aerial Ace
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Quick Attack / Bug Bite
ability: Technician
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

- U-Turn, while not Technician boosted, is a good STAB that switches Scyther out, and builds momentum.
- Aerial Ace is the main STAB, and is Technician boosted as well.
- Brick Break provides coverage against Steel-types, but more specifically, Rock-types, which are a huge threat to Scyther.
- Quick Attack is good for finishing off weakened opponents, but should not be relied on because of the fact that it is a priority, as it does not also pack STAB
- Bug Bite is a STAB that can also be used as it is stronger than U-Turn and does not switch you out.
- Knock Off is very powerful on its first hit and provides the utility of getting rid of the foe's item.

Set Details
========

- Choice Band gives a big boost to Scyther's Attack
- 252 Atk EVs max out Scyther's Attack for a neutral nature.
- 252 Spd EVs with a Jolly nature max out Scyther's Speed so that it isn't outsped by threats such as Uxie that also run a speed boosting nature.
- Technician is needed to boost the power of Aerial Ace, Quick Attack, and Bug Bite.
- 4 Special Defense EVs give Porygon-Z the wrong Download boost

Usage Tips
========

- One of the only things that should be mentioned is that U-Turn is always a great move to be used with the Scarf, as it builds momentum and helps scout
- Quick Attack is good for revenge killing on the band set, as it would otherwise be harder to revenge kill without any major speed boost.

Team Options
========

- Using U-Turn a bunch isn't going to be good for Scyther if rocks are up on the field, considering that half of his health is taken away whenever he comes in. For this reason, spinners such as Starmie.
- Pokemon such as Rotom-H and Hydreigon can form a VoltTurn core
- Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp to burn Scyther, so Heal Bell support or Pokemon immune to burns are always appreciated.
- Other Ghost-types with Will-O-Wisp that are bulky can be a problem, so Dark types are good to counter those.

Bulky Swords Dance
########
name: Bulky Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Aerial Ace
move 4: Knock Off / Bug Bite / Baton Pass
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

- Swords Dance boosts Scyther's Attack by two stages, giving it a nice boost to its already high Attack stat
- Aerial Ace is a Technician boosted STAB
- Knock Off is good utility and is very powerful on the first hit
- However, Bug Bite is also a Technician boosted STAB, that also occasionally steals the opponent's berry as well
- Lastly, Baton Pass can be used to pass off the Swords Dance boosts
- Roost is reliable recovery, as well as temporarily negating Scyther's Ice and Electric weaknesses

Set Details
========

- The Eviolite gives a defensive boost to Scyther
- 248 HP EVs max out Scyther's HP stat and allow Scyther to switch into Stealth Rock twice
- A Jolly nature with 252 Speed EVs is absolutely necessary to outspeed the base 95 Speed tier that have Speed boosting natures
- Technician is important to boost Aerial Ace's and Bug Bite's power
- 8 Attack EVs give a minor boost to Attack

Usage Tips
========

- Scyther probably won't stay long on the field, due to its Stealth Rock weakness and lackluster bulk, so using Swords Dance as the first move you have is probably the best way to go, considering that Scyther will not have time to Swords Dance late game either
- Bug Bite and Aerial Ace are the main STABs, so they can be used to cause damage after a Swords Dance boost

Team Options
========

- Since this set doesn't pack Defog, spinners such as Starmie are appreciated because they can get rid of hazards they aren't weak to.
- Stealth Rock setters are also useful as they can help Scyther get some KOs easier then he would've without Stealth Rock.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: U-Turn
move 2: Aerial Ace
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Bug Bite
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe

Moves
========

- U-Turn, while not Technician boosted, is a good STAB that switches Scyther out, and builds momentum. This is better used with a Scarf.
- Aerial Ace is the main STAB, and is Technician boosted as well.
- Brick Break provides coverage against Steel-types, but more specifically, Rock-types, which are a huge threat to Scyther
- Bug Bite can also be used as it is stronger than U-Turn and does not switch you out, in the case that you would want to stay in rather than being forced to switch out.
- Knock Off is well used with a Scarf as it allows Scyther to come in and quickly get rid of the opponent's item

Set Details
========

- The Choice Scarf brings Scyther's speed up to 452, allowing it to outspeed any other unboosted Pokemon in the tier.
- 252 Atk EVs max out Scyther's Attack for a neutral Nature
- 252 Spd EVs with a Jolly nature max out Scyther's Speed.
- Technician is needed to boost the power of Aerial Ace, Quick Attack, and Bug Bite.
- 4 Special Defense EVs give Porygon-Z the wrong Download boost

Usage Tips
========

- One of the only things that should be mentioned is that U-Turn is always a great move to be used with the Scarf, as it builds momentum and helps scout
- Quick Attack is good for revenge killing on the band set, as it would otherwise be harder to revenge kill without any major speed boost.

Team Options
========

- Using U-Turn a bunch isn't going to be good for Scyther if rocks are up on the field, considering that half of his health is taken away whenever he comes in. For this reason, spinners such as Starmie.
- Sableye can use Prankster Will-O-Wisp to burn Scyther, so Heal Bell support or Pokemon immune to burns are always appreciated.
- Other Ghost-types with Will-O-Wisp that are bulky can be a problem, so Dark types are good to counter those.

Baton Pass
########
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Agility
move 3: Baton Pass
move 4: Aerial Ace / Substitute / Roost / Knock Off
ability: Technician / Steadfast
item: Eviolite
evs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spe

Moves
========

- Swords Dance and Agility both boost Attack and Speed by two stages, respectively.
- Baton Pass passes those boosts to a receiver
- Aerial Ace can be used to stop this set from being a full support set as well as Taunt Bait
- Substitute can be used instead to make boosting easier, and to pass a Substitute to the receipient.ther
- Scyther can also make use of Roost as it is reliable recovery, and lets Scyther stay on the field longer to Baton Pass more.
- Knock Off can also be used as a utility move to get rid of the foe's item

Set Details
========

- Since this set is dependent on Scyther's bulk, 248 HP EVs max out Scyther's HP, giving it some good overall defensive investment. 248 HP EVs also let Scyther switch in twice into Stealth Rock.
- Scyther is unevolved, so it can make a lot of use of the Eviolite, which will give the boost to Scyther's defenses.
- 252 Speed EVs with a Jolly Nature allow Scyther to move first and quickly get the job done
- The ability does not matter very much, unless Aerial Ace is being used at all, then Technician would be wanted instead.
- If Aerial Ace is not being used, Steadfast would be the preferred ability in case of a situational boost from being flinched for whatever reason.
- 8 Special Defense EVs give Porygon-Z the wrong Download boost

Usage Tips
========

- The only thing this set can do is use Swords Dance and Agility
- After the two have been used enough (probably one boost from each) then Baton Pass should be used to pass to a physical attacker
- Aerial Ace can be used just to do damage, but shouldn't be relied on offensively.
- Substitute can be really risky to use, but should be used when Scyther can take a free hit
- Defog can be used if no boosts have been made, because it can waste a crucial turn for setting up

Team Options
========

- Metagross is a good partner of this set, as it can make much use of the boosts that it can potentially get and tanks most hits that threaten Scyther otherwise.
- Heracross is also a great recipient as it also can make great use of the boosts

Other Options
########

- Other than going offensive, Scyther doesn't have a whole lot of options.
- Scyther can run a Defog / Toxic utility set, but has much better options instead.
- Scyther gets reversal, and can be used as a sashed lead to get maximum damage input from it, making it a less reliable, but more powerful option over Brick Break
- Pursuit can be used for trapping

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock** Stealth Rock takes away half of Scyther's health each time he switches in, which is a big problem for Scyther

**Type Counters** Pokemon that resist both STABs and aren't threatened much by Brick Break are a big problem for Scyther. Chandlelure is a prime example, as it resists Brick Break and Bug Bite and can take an Aerial Ace, and OHKO with Fire Blast. Rotom-H resists both STABs and OHKOs with Overheat with some SpA investment.

**Status** Burn or Paralysis stop Scyther from anything offensively, due to the fact they each cut Attack and Speed, so it despises status

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the bp set you should mention scythers awesome resistances. While rock and fire are annoying, it 4x resists fighting and grass and is immune to ground.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm so glad that someone's doing an analysis for Scyther. Anyway, bullet point time!
  • I would move the choice set above the SD set and change the slash order to scarf/band, if not separate the sets completely as they do play rather differently from each other dispite having the same movesets.
  • Slash Eviolite onto the SD set before LO as it is really important that Scyther maximizes its chances of setting up without going overboard on the bulky EV investment.
  • Move the defense EVs into special defense to give PZ an attack boost rather than special attack.
Other than that, looks good at a glance.

Just repeating what i said in the previous thread.
The choice sets should be seperate as they have different purposes. Moreover, i read somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that according to the new qc rules choice sets should be seperate.
On the choice sets, Jolly should be the preffered option always. Outspeeding Darmanitan, Victini, Hydreigon, pre Mega houndoom, and speed tieing mienshao is much more important than a 10% increase in power. Even scarf set should run Jolly as these pokemon often run scarf.
Eviolite should be mentioned on the SD set as Scyther is surprisingly bulky with eviolite and can also run roost for easier set up oppurtunities.
Mention Rotom-H in C&C as well as Steel-types as they resist both of its stabs.

Ununhexium

is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh on the bp set you should slash roost somewhere because scyther is worn down pretty quickly without it.

Also, a bulky SD set might be viable

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh on the bp set you should slash roost somewhere because scyther is worn down pretty quickly without it.

Also, a bulky SD set might be viable
I agree with this. While the 4x SR weakness hurts, Scyther has enough resistances to pull it off and Eviolite is a huge help.

Right. The set order should be this:
  1. Choice Scarf
  2. Offensive Swords Dance
  3. Bulky Swords Dance
  4. Choice Band
  5. Baton Pass

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I disagree with the ordering, I think it should be Swords Dance -> Choice Scarf -> Choice Band -> Baton Pass

No bulky SD because I'm not sure if it's viable. I'll ask a QC member.

Martin

I disagree with the ordering, I think it should be Swords Dance -> Choice Scarf -> Choice Band -> Baton Pass

No bulky SD because I'm not sure if it's viable. I'll ask a QC member.
At least switch around Scarf and SD as Scarf is a better set imo simply due to Scyther's high speed stat and scary attack stat. STAB U-turn is scary even unboosted, and Scarf only adds to that scariness.

Bug Bite is a poor move to be locked into due to its Bug-typing. Remove it from choiced sets.

Scyther gets Knock Off. Slash it in on all sets other than BP.

I've just noticed Defog on the BP set. Scyther has no reason to be even considering Defog due to the 4x SR weakness. Remove it.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
At least switch around Scarf and SD as Scarf is a better set imo simply due to Scyther's high speed stat and scary attack stat. STAB U-turn is scary even unboosted, and Scarf only adds to that scariness.

Bug Bite is a poor move to be locked into due to its Bug-typing. Remove it from choiced sets.

Scyther gets Knock Off. Slash it in on all sets other than BP.

I've just noticed Defog on the BP set. Scyther has no reason to be even considering Defog due to the 4x SR weakness. Remove it.
Will do.

Bug Bite is a great STAB imo and should stay.

Will do.

Will do.

:)

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Run 248 HP on the BP set since 252 will give you an even number only allowing you to switch into SR once.

Martin

Will do.

Bug Bite is a great STAB imo and should stay.

Will do.

Will do.

:)
I said keep it on the SD set, but just don't put it on the choiced sets as it is a horrible type to be locked into. Besides, U-turn provides a Bug-type STAB on such sets and it is better to hit the U-turn 95% of the time on such a set anyway as Bug Bite is a situational move to be locked in to, only having any use against weakened teams with no resistances and 2 opposing pokemon left tops.

Put Facade in OO to tackle the status problems stated in C&C, but mention the redundant coverage and situationalness (if that's even a word) of the move.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Also, just give a quick mention that Steadfast could maybe have a bit of use on the Baton Pass set, especially if you're not running Aerial Ace, seeing as it could potentially give an extra boost to pass.

Ununhexium

Mention pursuit on the choice sets or at least in OO to trap and kill ghost and psychic types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)