Scyther [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Scyther has a generic Bug / Flying typing, but its stat spread is very different from other Pokemon of its type. It is a good pivot with access to STAB U-turn coming off of its base 110 Attack, which, when coupled with a Choice Band, can provide free switches for your team. Additionally, Scyther is a nice check to Fighting- and Grass-type Pokemon by virtue of its typing, and it pretty much guarantees that your team won't have to worry about Malamar from the start of the match, as a Choice Band-boosted U-turn is very threatening to Malamar. Scyther possesses a solid base 105 Speed tier, outspeeding all but a few Pokemon in the tier. Defensively, Scyther can pivot into Ground-, Fighting-, and Grass-type moves because of the lack of damage those moves inflict upon Scyther. However, Scyther's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock really stops it from switching in a lot without good entry hazard removal support or a team that applies a lot of offensive pressure on opposing Stealth Rock users. Scyther also has unfortunate weaknesses to common attacking types in Ice, Electric, Rock, and Flying, so it can lack defensive utility in some situations. Additionally, its mediocre 70 / 80 / 80 bulk can limit its ability to pivot in and fire off attacks without slow VoltTurn support, which, when coupled with its weaknesses, can make it a liability defensively at times. Lastly, Scyther doesn't possess the mind-boggling power of Medicham or Hitmonlee as a wallbreaker, so it has a hard time breaking through bulkier teams without proper support and ends up being more of a pivot than anything else.

[SET]
name: Choice Band Pivot
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Aerial Ace
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Pursuit
item: Choice Band
ability: Technician
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
U-turn lets Scyther gain momentum for your team by getting switch initiative against defensive checks like Registeel. Aerial Ace is Scyther's strongest STAB move and can make it a nice late-game wincon that can clean up the game when your opponent's Flying-type checks are weakened, and it can threaten a lot of important Grass-type threats such as Venusaur. Knock Off can really hurt defensive Pokemon that appreciate recovery such as Alomomola while also hitting defensive Ghost-types that attempt to switch into Scyther's Bug-type attacks. Knock Off can also generally smack Psychic-types like Delphox really hard in situations where Scyther does not want to switch out of the battle. Lastly, Pursuit is very useful for trapping frailer offensive Pokemon like Hoopa that threaten the rest of your team.

Set Details
========
252 EVs in Attack and Speed maximize Scyther's offensive abilities. A Jolly nature lets Scyther outspeed positive-natured Flygon, Glalie, and Delphox, as well as neutral-natured Manectric and other Scyther. An Adamant nature might be considered for additional hole punching ability, but the ability to outspeed Delphox and Flygon in particular is very valuable. Choice Band gives Scyther a significant boost in power and lets it do a much better job at wearing away at Pokemon as it uses U-turn. Lastly, Technician is easily the only ability that should be used here because it boosts the power of both Aerial Ace and Pursuit to noticeably higher levels than normal and can help net crucial KOs on offensive Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
When there are no entry hazards on the field, you will probably be clicking U-turn most of the time in the early-game and mid-game, as it gains offensive momentum and can really get the drop on your opponent. However, you can also click Knock Off during the early-game when against a defensive team with a check that really appreciates Leftovers recovery like Wish + Protect Alomomola or when a Ghost-type like Cofagrigus is going to come in to try and take a Bug-type attack. Scyther can clean during the late-game with Aerial Ace, but you can use it at any point of the game if it's going to take a chunk out of the foe and if it does significantly more damage than U-turn. Make sure not to send Scyther into Stealth Rock when it is up unless it's a late-game situation that requires you to if you wish to win the game or if you desperately need to revenge kill a foe like Malamar and no other Pokemon on your team can kill it. Pursuit should frankly only be used against frail offensive Pokemon that are going KOed by U-turn, as they might otherwise stay in and eliminate Scyther. Lastly, because of its mediocre bulk, if you can't get Scyther in with a Volt Switch or U-turn, only attempt bring in Scyther either against Grass-types that lack coverage options or strong secondary STAB moves or Fighting-types that are only going to be using Fighting-type moves.

Team Options
========
Scyther tends to work best on offensive VoltTurn teams, since it can get many opportunities to switch in, and it has good type synergy with Electric-types, being immune to Ground-type attacks. However, the ability to check Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass-types while also being able to Pursuit trap key threats is really valuable and is good enough for Scyther to be featured on balanced teams as well. Magneton is an excellent teammate and is probably the best Volt Switch user to pair with Scyther; its common Choice Specs set can do a really good job breaking down Steel- and Rock-types that normally wall Scyther as well as having solid offensive and defensive synergy with Scyther by resisting Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks, while Scyther can handle Fighting- and Ground-type attacks. Venusaur is also a solid teammate because it can help check Virizion, which Scyther doesn't really want to stay in on because it usually has coverage for Scyther. Venusaur also eliminates common checks for Scyther in Diancie, Rhyperior, and Alomomola. Entry hazard removers in general are mandatory teammates, since they can remove Stealth Rock, giving Scyther more chances to come in without having to worry about losing half of its health. Flygon, Blastoise, Xatu, and Hitmonlee in particular can be used with Scyther depending on the team you build. However, Sneasel can quickly become a threat to the team if Scyther is paired with Venusaur, Flygon, or Xatu, so you should make sure that you include a solid Sneasel switch-in. Additionally, Dugtrio can be a very interesting partner to trap U-turn switch-ins like Registeel and a heavily weakened Rhyperior, but it shares weaknesses with Scyther. Stealth Rock setters are nice to wear down the opposing team, especially with all the switches that U-turn forces. A Stealth Rock user that pairs really well with Scyther is Rhyperior because it can do a good job of checking Fire-, Ice-, Steel-, and Flying-types decently well for Scyther and has the potential to run other sets in tandem with Scyther due to its versatility of running a possible Choice Band set. If you are using a VoltTurn team, Uxie is another really good Stealth Rock user because it has U-turn to keep up momentum and is a reliable Medicham check so that Scyther doesn't have to worry about Choice Scarf Medicham revenge killing it. If you want to run a Spikes Stacking team, Mega Glalie is an excellent option to use as a Spikes user because most of Scyther's checks are grounded, so they will be worn down very quickly by the Spikes. Offensive Fighting- and Ground-types also make excellent partners, as they can do an excellent job breaking down the Steel- and Rock-types that are commonly used as switch-ins to Scyther. Two Pokemon in particular that love Scyther's U-turn support and can break down Rock- and Steel-types include Choice Band Rhyperior and Life Orb Medicham. One offensive Fire-type in particular that works well with Scyther is actually Mega Camerupt, as it limits the spamming of Electric-, Fire-, and Rock-type attacks against Scyther just by sitting in the back and threatening to take out a Pokemon with its insane power along with being a situational check to Flying- and Ice-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An additional option could be using an Eviolite set with Swords Dance, but the hit-and-run tactic employed by Choice Band has more immediate power and doesn't leave Scyther strapped for offensive moveslots. A Choice Scarf set could be used for its surprise factor to pick up KOs against faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Dugtrio, and Accelgor, but it lacks the power of Choice Band, and U-turn frankly doesn't do that much damage without a boosting item. Reversal can also be used on Scyther to surprise Steel-types that usually beat it after coming into Stealth Rock twice, since it becomes a super powerful 200-Base Power move, but this means that Scyther can't switch in again and is super situational and can often be a wasted moveslot. An additional STAB option that Scyther can use is Bug Bite since sometimes having U-turn as Scyther's only Bug-type STAB can be really harmful in late-game situations against Psychic-types that can take a U-turn and OHKO a Fighting-type you might have in the back for another member of their team. However, Aerial Ace can usually do a better job at this due to its superior offensive typing. Brick Break is also nice for breaking through Rock-types and Steel-types that normally counter Scyther in the right situations; however, it can only be used against defensive Pokemon that lack reliable recovery or are close to or 2HKOed by the move such as Registeel and Magneton, or else it becomes a waste of time in the long run. Quick Attack can be an option for teams that need priority and is boosted by Technician, so it can get some clutch late-game revenge kills versus offensive Pokemon like Fletchinder and Jolteon, but it can cause Scyther to become setup bait for threats like Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary and Swords Dance Virizion. Lastly, Steel Wing could also be used to lure and KO Diancie and Aerodactyl, but it's too situational to justify using most of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Perhaps the best way to check Scyther is by keeping Stealth Rock on the field, as Scyther takes 50% from it any time that it comes in, which can really limit when Scyther can switch into the battle.

**Rock-types**: Defensive Rock-types can switch into Scyther pretty freely. Rhyperior and defensive Diancie are both excellent switch-ins to Scyther because they basically take nothing from most of its moves, but they have to be wary of coverage moves. Aerodactyl and Trick Room Diancie can also do a really good job, being able to offensively check Scyther by outspeeding and OHKOing it with their Rock-type attacks.

**Steel-types** Steel-types make great Scyther switch-ins. Registeel and Steelix can switch into basically any move, but they have to be wary of being worn down too much by Choice Band-boosted U-turn and giving up momentum to wallbreakers, and Registeel has to be wary of Brick Break.

**Jolteon**: Jolteon is a solid Scyther check because it can outspeed Scuther and KO it with its STAB Electric-type attacks, but it has to be wary of switching into U-turn.

**Ice-types**: Sneasel in particular can outspeed Scyther and OHKO it with STAB Icicle Crash while Mega Glalie, which is really threatening can OHKO Scyther with STAB Ice Shard if Scyther has already taken Stealth Rock damage. Mega Glalie is also bulky enough to tank an Aerial Ace late-game if it has to and can fire back a Refrigerate-boosted STAB move to destroy Scyther.

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that can outspeed or outprioritize Scyther and are strong enough to really threaten it can check Scyther on offensive teams. Examples of these include Choice Scarf Thunder Punch Medicham, Fletchinder, and Virizion with Stone Edge.

**Garbodor**: Rocky Helmet Garbodor can also be a really strong check to Scyther because it resists U-turn, can cause Scyther to take chip damage every that it comes in or attacks Garbodor with a contact move, is able to tank an Aerial Ace and can threaten Scyther with STAB Gunk Shot.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that this is ready for QC, so I've changed the title, also shouts out to HypnoEmpire for pointing out mistakes that made me look like i was drunk before i could ask a qc member to check this

Last edited:
intro:

Mention malamar in the 2nd bullet point as another thing scyther can handle. it is always nice making a team knowing that malamar isn't going to be much of an issue. Also, remove the bullet point talking about making "plays" with Brick Break considering Scyther's main set does not run that move, and Scyther can just Knock Off or U-Turn out of Brick Break's targets anyway.

moves:

I would slash Quick Attack instead of Bug Bite, because Wing Attack is a much better STAB for cleaning up late game anyway and some teams really like the priority. Pursuit is good and can remain the first slash though, unless other QC disagree.

set comments:

Banded Knock Off is gonna have a hard time cleaning any team late game in situations were Wing Attack wouldn't do the trick. I would remove that comment.

usage tips:

Remove the Brick Break bullet point, and mention Malamar as a Pokemon that Scyther might need to come in and revenge (or force out) even if SR is up. I would consider either merging the knock off bullet point with the first one, or listing it right below, because vs. defensive teams there are definitely scenarios where I would rather Knock Off than U-Turn early game (the Mola example you gave was excellent!)

team options:

Flygon is a good teammate but I don't agree that it is "almost mandatory," the Sneasel weakness is really bad for offense. You can merge the first and third bullet points IMO, and Dugtrio can be mentioned as a partner that can trap and remove a few U-Turn switchins such as Registeel and (very weakened) Rhyperior. Again, the LO Sneasel weakness does hurt there though lol. Be specific with the last bullet point; LO Medicham and Band Rhyperior love Scyther's U-Turn support.

other options:

Assuming QC is OK with Quick Attack being slashed, I do not have many suggestions. SD Eviolite can still use U-Turn, though!

checks & counters:

Rocky Helmet Garbodor is a pretty good check, I would add it at the end. Rocky Helmet owns.

I'll stamp this so long you implement the changes (although you don't need to do the Quick Attack slash if you want to wait for other QC to comment on that). QC 1/3

Reactions: DTC

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Sweep thanks for the qc check and I think that I've implemented the entire check, except i want to wait for another suggestion for quick attack bc after u use it u can really lose to crap like sd viriz if you're not careful. Also, sorry about forgetting to get rid of brick break, i had that listed before i realized that i must have been drunk when listing it in main moves lol.

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
I think Quick Attack / Bug Bite are fine in the last slot and can be slashed, though I don't care either way. I find Pursuit to be better than both in most instances though. You can probably mention Steel Wing in other options as a Diancie lure, also useful since it can OHKO Aero.

I don't understand why Blastoise isn't mentioned as a partner and why it's said that Flygon is near-mandatory, since Blastoise works really well with Scyther, better than Flygon in my opinion. Scyther can Pursuit stuff like Rotom and Hoopa for Blastoise, and the weaknesses Blastoise compounds aren't as big as the ones that are compounded when you use it with Flygon. Additionally, Blastoise being a partner makes it so that Stealth Rock can stay on the field more often, which is something Scyther really wants when its damage output isn't too great on its own. It should be mentioned as a partner. For bulky offense, I found Xatu + Hitmonlee to be pretty good at keeping hazards off, so maybe mention those as partners too.

Checks and Counters isn't formatted properly, it should be something like this:

**category of checks 1**: description

**category of checks 2**: description

etc.

What type of playstyle is CB Scyther meant to be used on? Purely offensive teams, or does it fit onto balance as well? You mention why a player would want to use Scyther, yet you should distinguish in team options from the get-go what type of playstyles Scyther would be used on so a reader can understand what type of teams he is supposed to use Scyther on. If Scyther does not fit onto balance, it should not have teammates like Blastoise or Tangrowth be mentioned that Scyther would theoretically fit on if it is usable on balanced teams.

Also mention Venusaur as a teammate because Scyther fails to outspeed Virizion and is not going to want to stay into it unless it is paralyed. Venusaur also puts pressure on Diancie, Rhyperior, and Alomomola, Pokemon that Scyther struggles with. Scyther in return can target Meloetta, who would otherwise be troublesome for Venusaur.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Thanks for the suggestions guys, really appreciate the help on the analysis! I've implemented all of the changes that I think are plausible for this analysis

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Its still wrong, you have to add a colon
**Stealth Rock** to**Stealth Rock**:
Space between each section is also needed

phantom

Banned deucer.
be specific about the rocks and steel-types in checks and counters, steelix, diancie etc

qc 2/3

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Ok all the qc checks have been implemented and I have written this up, so I believe that it's ready for its 3rd QC check!

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Banded Pivot]

• Rhyperior is a much more reliable Stealth Rock user than Mega Camerupt as Mega Rupt generally doesn't like using a turn to set Rocks over blasting something.
  • Uxie is a fantastic Rocker for VoltTurn teams as it's a more reliable Medicham check (Zen Headbutt + T-Punch threaten Scyther)
  • Mega Glalie is fantastic for Spikes support since most of Scyther's checks are grounded
[Checks and Counters]
  • Scarf Manectric isn't good at all. Remove it from here
  • Medicham commonly runs T-Punch; not Rock Slide
Change this stuff and QC Approved 3/3

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
[Banded Pivot]

• Rhyperior is a much more reliable Stealth Rock user than Mega Camerupt as Mega Rupt generally doesn't like using a turn to set Rocks over blasting something.
  • Uxie is a fantastic Rocker for VoltTurn teams as it's a more reliable Medicham check (Zen Headbutt + T-Punch threaten Scyther)
  • Mega Glalie is fantastic for Spikes support since most of Scyther's checks are grounded
[Checks and Counters]
  • Scarf Manectric isn't good at all. Remove it from here
  • Medicham commonly runs T-Punch; not Rock Slide
Change this stuff and QC Approved 3/3
implemented, I think that this is ready for GP

Sobi

Banned deucer.
ok amcheck @_@
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Scyther is a very interesting Pokemon in the metagame as it has a generic Bug / Flying typing, but its stat spread is very different from other Pokemon of its type. It has a very strong pivoting ability is a good pivot with access to STAB U-Turn U-turn coming off of its base 110 attack, Attack, especially which, when coupled with a Choice Band Band, that can provide free switches for your team. Additionally, it's Scyther is a nice check to Fighting Fighting- and Grass-Type Grass-type Pokemon by virtue of its typing, and it pretty much guarantees that your team won't have to worry about malamar Malamar from the start of the build match, as because banded a Choice Band-boosted U-turn is so very (Comment: optional, but fsr when i read this, it has a sarcastic tone) threatening to Malamar. One of the nicest things about Scyther is that it possesses a solid base 105 speed Speed tier, outspeeding all but a few Pokemon in the RU tier. Defensively scyther Defensively, Scyther can pivot into Ground, Fighting, Ground-, Fighting-, and Grass-Type Grass-type moves because of the lack of damage that those moves inflict to upon Scyther. However, Scyther's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock really stops it from switching in a ton lot without good hazard removal support or a team that applies a lot of offensive pressure on opposing Stealth Rock users. Scyther also has unfortunate weaknesses to common attacking types in ice, electric, rock, Ice, Electric, Rock, and flying, Flying, so it can lack defensive utility in some situations. Not only that, but it has Mediocre 70/80/80 mediocre 70 / 80 / 80 defenses bulk (Comment: defenses = def | spdef) that can limit its ability to pivot in and fire off attacks without slow VoltTurn support support, which, that when coupled with its weaknesses, can make it a liability defensively at times. Another issue with Scyther is that it doesn't possess the mind boggling mind-boggling power of medicham Medicham or hitmonlee Hitmonlee as a breaker, wallbreaker, so it has a hard time breaking through bulkier teams without proper support, support and ends up being more of a pivot than anything else. While many of these flaws are unfortunate, Scyther is still an above average Pokemon in the current metagame.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: U-Turn U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
U-turn is a really good, spammable move that lets Scyther gain momentum for your team by getting switch initiative vs against incoming defensive checks like Registeel. Aerial Ace is your Scyther's strongest STAB move, move and it's is a cool nice late-game win condition wincon that can clean up the game when your opponent's flying Flying-type checks are weakened, and it can dispatch threaten a lot of important Grass-Type Grass-type threats such as Venusaur. Knock Off is a cool utility move that can really hurt defensive Pokemon that appreciate recovery like such as Alomomola while also hitting defensive ghosts Ghost-types that attempt to switch into Scyther's Bug-Type Bug-type attacks. Also, knock off Knock Off can also generally smack Psychic-Types Psychic-types like Delphox really hard in situations where you Scyther don't does not want to switch out of the battle. Lastly, Pursuit is super nice useful for trapping frailer offensive mons Pokemon like Hoopa that threaten the rest of your team.

Set Details
========
Maximum 252 EVs in Attack and Speed maximizes maximize (Comment: saying "maximum....maximizes" is redundant) Scyther's offensive abilities. A Jolly nature lets Scyther outspeed positive natured positive-natured Flygon, Glalie, and Delphox Delphox, as well as neutral natured neutral-natured Manectric as well as and other Scythers Scyther. that are running a neutral nature. An Adamant nature may might be considered for additional hole punching ability, but the ability to outspeed Delphox and Flygon in particular is very valuable. Choice Band gives Scyther a significant boost in power and lets it do a much better job at wearing away at mons Pokemon as it uses U-Turn. U-turn. Lastly, Technician is easily the the only ability that should be used here because it boosts the power of both Aerial ace Ace and Pursuit to noticably noticeably higher levels than normal and can help net crucial KOs vs on offensive Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
When there are no entry hazards on the field, you will probably be clicking U-Turn U-turn most of the time in the early-game as well as the and mid-game mid-game, as just because it gains offensive momentum and can really get the drop on your opponent. However, you can also click knock off Knock Off during the early-game vs when against a defensive team with a check that really appreciates leftovers Leftovers recovery like wishtect Wish + Protect Alomomola (Freeze-Dry Glalie can 1v1 it if Alomomola doesn't have leftovers) (Comment: why does it matter if glalie can 1v1 mola) or when a Ghost-Type Ghost-type like cofagrigus Cofagrigus is going to come in to try and take a bug Bug-type attack. You Scyther can clean during the late-game with aerial ace Aerial Ace or but you can also click use it at any point of the game if it's going to take a chunk out of something the foe regardless of what switches in and if it does a significant amount significantly more damage than u-turn. U-turn. Make sure not to send Scyther into stealth rock Stealth Rock when they are up unless it's a late-game situation that requires you to if you wish to win the game or if you desperately need to revenge kill something and no one else other Pokemon on your team can kill it it. like vs a malamar that you don't want to boost up to the point that it can sweep you. For example, when up against a Malamar, it might become necessary to send Scyther out in order to prevent it from setting up with Superpower and potentially sweep your team. Pursuit should frankly only be used vs against frail offensive mons Pokemon that are KOd going to be KOed by u-turn U-turn, from the range that they're at like Delphox, as they might otherwise stay in and kill Scyther. Lastly, only attempt to bring in Scyther either vs against Grass-Types Grass-types that lack coverage options or strong secondary STAB moves or Fighting-Types Fighting-types that are only going to be clicking using Fighting-Type Fighting-type moves if you can't get it in with a Volt Switch or U-Turn U-turn because of its mediocre bulk.

Team Options
========
Scyther tends to go work best with on offensive VoltTurn teams teams, centered around the use of VoltTurn since it can get many switch-in opportunities, and it has good type synnergy synergy with Electric-Types, Electric-types, being immune to Ground-Type Ground-type attacks. However, the ability to check psychic, fighting, Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass-Types Grass-types while also being able to pursuit Pursuit trap key threats is really valuable and is good enough for Scyther to be featured on balanced teams. Magneton is an excellent teammate, teammate and is probably the best Volt Swutch Switch user to pair with Scyther because it formes forms a potent VoltTurn core with scyther Scyther, and its common specs Choice Specs set can do a really good job breaking down steel Steel- and Rock-Types Rock-types that normally wall Scyther as well as having solid offensive and defensive synergy with Scyther by resisting Ice, Electric, Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-Type Rock-type attacks for Scyther Scyther, while Scyther can handle fighting Fighting- and ground Ground-type attacks. Venusaur is also a solid teammate because it can help check virizion, Virizion, which who scyther Scyther doesn't really want to stay in on since it Virizion usually has coverage for scyther Scyther. while Virizion also eliminates eliminating common checks for to Scyther in Diancie, Rhyperior, and Alomomola. Hazard removers in genral general are mandatory teammates teammates, since they can defog away remove Stealth Rock, giving Scyther more chances to come in without having to worry about losing half of its health. Flygon, Blastoise, and Xatu+Hitmonlee Xatu, and Hitmonlee in particular are three four potential hazard removers that can be used with Scyther depending on the team that you build. However, Sneasel can quickly become a threat to the team if Scyther is paired with Venusaur, Flygon, and/or or Xatu, so you should make sure that you include a solid Sneasel switch-in. Additionally, Dugtrio can be a very interesting partner to trap u turn U-turn switch-ins like registeel Registeel and a heavily weakened rhyperior, Rhyperior, but it shares weaknesses with Scyther. Stealth Rock setters are nice to wear down the opposing team, especially with all the switches that u turn U-turn forces, as you gain switch initiative and put yourself into a favorable position. A Stealth Rock user that pairs really well with Scyther is Rhyperior because it can do a good job of checking Fire, Ice, Steel, and Flying-Types Fire-, Ice-, Steel-, and Flying-types decently well for Scyther and has the potential to run other sets in tandem with Scyther due to its versatility of running a possible Choice Band set. If you are using a VoltTurn team, Uxie is another really good rocker Stealth Rock user because it has U-Turn U-turn to keep up momentum, momentum and it is a reliable medicham Medicham check so that Scyther doesn't have to worry about scarf Choice Scarf Medicham revenge killing it. If you want to run a spikes stacking Spikes-stacking team, Mega Glalie is an excellent option to use as a spiker Spikes user because most of Scyther's checks are grounded, so they will be worn down very quickly by the spikes. Offensive Fighting and Ground-Types Fighting- and Ground-types also make excellent partners partners, as they can do an excellent job breaking down the Steel and Rock-Types Steel- and Rock-types that are commonly used as switch-ins (remove random line break) to Scyther. Two examples Pokemon in particular that love Scyther's U-Turn U-turn support and can break down Rock Rock- and Steel-Types Steel-types include banded Choice Band Rhyperior and Life Orb Medicham. One offensive Fire-Type Fire-type in particular aside from the mons that have already been mentioned that works well with Scyther is actually Mega Camerupt Camerupt, as it limits the spamming of electric, fire, and rock attacks vs Electric-, Fire-, and Rock-type attacks against Scyther just by sitting in the back and threatening to take out a mon Pokemon with its insane power along with being a situational check to flying Flying- and Ice-Types. Ice-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An additional option could be using an Eviolite set with Swords Bance, Dance, but the hit and run hit-and-run tactic employed by choice band Choice Band has more immediate power and doesn't leave you Scyther strapped for offensive moveslots moveslots, as it has 4 four moveslots for attacking moves as opposed to Eviolite SD's the Eviolite and Swords Dance set's 2 two moveslots, and running Swords Dance with U-Turn U-turn means that you Scyther only have has one attack to use after you it sets set up. A Choice Scarf set could be used for its surprise factor to pick up kills KOs against vs faster Pokemon like; such as Jolteon, Dugtrio, and Accelgor, but it lacks the power of Choice Band Band, and U-Turn U-turn frankly doesn't do that much damage without a boosting item. Reversal can also be used on Scyther to surprise Steel-Types Steel-types that usually beat it after coming into Stealth Rock twice twice, since it becomes a super powerful 200 BP 200-Base Power move, but it this means that scyther Scyther can't switch in again and is super situational and can often be a wasted moveslot. An additional STAB option that you Scyther can use is bug bite Bug Bite, since sometimes having u turn U-turn as your Scyther's only bug Bug-type STAB move can be really harmful in late-game situations vs against like Psychic-Types Psychic-types that can take a u turn U-turn and OHKO a fighting type Fighting-type that you might have in the back for another member of their team, team. However, Aerial Ace but aerial ace can usually do a better job at this due to its superior offensive typing. Brick Break is also nice for breaking through Rock-Types Rock-types and Steel-Types Steel-types that normally counter Scyther counters in the right situations; however, it can only be used vs against defensive mons that lack reliable recovery or are close to or 2HKO'd 2HKOed by the move by it like such as Registeel and Magneton, or else it becomes a waste of time in the long run. Quick Attack can be a an cool option for teams that need priority and is boosted by technician, Technician, so it can get some clutch late-game revenge kills vs versus offensive Pokemon like Fletchinder and Jolteon, but it can cause Scyther to become setup bait for threats like Sub Substitute and Bulk Up Braviary and Swords Dance Virzion. Virizion. Lastly, Steel Wing could also be used to lure Diancie and Aerodactyl on switch-ins, but it's too situational to justify using most of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Perhaps the best way to check Scyther is through the by keeping Stealth Rock on the field field, as Scyther takes 50% from the hazard it any time that it comes in and can really limit when Scyther can switch into the battle.

**Rock-Types**: **Rock-types**: Defensive Rock-Types Rock-types can switch into Scyther pretty freely. Rhyperior and defensive Diancie are both excellent switch-ins to Scyther because they basically take nothing from most of its moves, but they have to be wary of coverage moves. Aerodactyl and Trick Room Diancie can also do a really good job job, being able to offensively check Scyther by outspeeding and OHKOing it with Rock-Type their Rock-type attacks.

**Steel-Types** **Steel-types**: Similarly to the Rock-Types listed above, Steel-Types Steel-types make great Scyther switch-ins. Registeel and Steelix can switch into basically any move, but they have to be wary of being worn down too much by banded Choice Band-boosted U-turn U-Turn and giving up momentum to wallbreakers, and Registeel has to be wary of Brick Break.

**Jolteon**: Jolteon and is a solid Scyther check because iy it can outspeed and KO Scyther with its STAB electric Electric-type attacks, but it has to be wary of switching into U-turn.

**Ice-Types**: **Ice-types**: Sneasel in particular can outspeed and OHKO Scyther with STAB Icicle crash Crash, while glalie Glalie can OHKO scyther Scyther with STAB ice shard Ice Shard if it Scyther takes a round of has already taken Stealth Rock, Rock damage, which is really threatening, threatening. and glalie Glalie is also bulky enough to tank an aerial ace Aerial Ace late-game if it has to and can fire back a refrigerate STAB Refrigerate-boosted STAB move to destroy Scyther.

**Fast Offensive Mons**: Pokemon**: Mons Pokemon that can outspeed or outprioritize Scyther that are strong enough to really threaten it can check Scyther on offensive teams. Examples of these include scarf Choice Scarf thunderpunch medicham, fletchinder, and virizion with stone edge. Thunder Punch Medicham, Fletchinder, and Virizion with Stone Edge.

**Garbodor**: Rocky Helmet Garbodor can also be a really strong check to Scyther because it resists U-Turn U-turn and can make cause Scyther make to take chip damage every time that it comes in or attacks Garbodor with a contact move (Comment: optional) while also being able to tank an aerial ace Aerial Ace and threaten Scyther with STAB gunk shot. Gunk Shot.
please read over your analysis before sending it to gp, the amount of changes i had to make here was ridiculous and i'm sure a gp checker would say the same. just a quick note: refrain from saying "cool" / "vs" and other informal stuff since analyses are meant to be 'pseudo-formal'. oh and cut the fluff, stuff like "one of the best things about x is its ability to counter y" should be shortened to "x can counter y" or smth like that

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Thanks for the gp check, It'll take some time to update this because my computer just got sent in for repairs lol

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
I've had a lot of pic issues so I'll have to wait to implement the check in a day or two when I get a new pc.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
Now that i have an actual pc, this will be implemented by the end of tomorrow at latest.

e: finished overview!
e2: everything up to oo is done!

FINALLY FINISHED THIS, IMPLEMENTED THE CHECK

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Scyther has a generic Bug / Flying typing, but its stat spread is very different from other Pokemon of its type. It is a good pivot with access to STAB U-turn coming off of its base 110 Attack, which, when coupled with a Choice Band, can provide free switches for your team. Additionally, Scyther is a nice check to Fighting- and Grass-type Pokemon by virtue of its typing, and it the threat of its Choice Band-boosted U-turn pretty much guarantees that your team won't have to worry about Malamar from the start of the match, as a Choice Band-boosted U-turn is very threatening to Malamar. Scyther possesses a solid base 105 Speed tier, outspeeding all but a few Pokemon in the tier. Defensively, Scyther can pivot into Ground-, Fighting-, and Grass-type moves because of the lack of damage those moves inflict upon Scyther. However, Scyther's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock really stops it from switching in a lot without good entry hazard removal support or a team that applies a lot of offensive pressure on opposing Stealth Rock users. Scyther also has unfortunate weaknesses to common attacking types in Ice, Electric, Rock, and Flying, so it can lack defensive utility in some situations. Not only that, but it has Additionally, its mediocre 70 / 80 / 80 (spaces) bulk that can limit its ability to pivot in and fire off attacks without slow VoltTurn support, which, (AC) when coupled with its weaknesses, can make it a liability defensively at times. Lastly, (AC) Scyther doesn't possess the mind-boggling power of Medicham or Hitmonlee as a wallbreaker, so it has a hard time breaking through bulkier teams without proper support and ends up being more of a pivot than anything else.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
U-turn lets Scyther gain momentum for your team by getting switch initiative against defensive checks like Registeel. Aerial Ace is Scyther's strongest STAB move and is can make it a nice late-game wincon that can clean up the game when your opponent's Flying-type checks are weakened, and it can threaten a lot of important Grass-type threats such as Venusaur. Knock Off can really hurt defensive Pokemon that appreciate recovery such as Alomomola while also hitting defensive Ghost-types that attempt to switch into Scyther's Bug-type attacks. Knock Off can also generally smack Psychic-types like Delphox really hard in situations where Scyther does not want to switch out of the battle. Lastly, Pursuit is super very useful for trapping frailer offensive Pokemon like Hoopa that threaten the rest of your team.

Set Details
========
252 EVs in Attack and Speed maximize Scyther's offensive abilities. A Jolly nature lets Scyther outspeed positive-natured Flygon, Glalie, and Delphox, as well as neutral-natured Manectric and other Scyther. An Adamant nature might be considered for additional hole punching ability, but the ability to outspeed Delphox and Flygon in particular is very valuable. Choice Band gives Scyther a significant boost in power and lets it do a much better job at wearing away at Pokemon as it uses U-turn. Lastly, Technician is easily the only ability that should be used here because it boosts the power of both Aerial Ace and Pursuit to noticeably higher levels than normal and can help net crucial KOs on offensive Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========
When there are no entry hazards on the field, you will probably be clicking U-turn most of the time in the early-game and mid-game, as it gains offensive momentum and can really get the drop on your opponent. However, you can also click Knock Off during the early-game when against a defensive team with a check that really appreciates Leftovers recovery like Wish + Protect (spaces) Alomomola or when a Ghost-type like Cofagrigus is going to come in to try and take a Bug-type attack. Scyther can clean during the late-game with Aerial Ace, (AC) but you can use it at any point of the game if it's going to take a chunk out of the foe and if it does significantly more damage than U-turn. Make sure not to send Scyther into Stealth Rock when they are it is up unless it's a late-game situation that requires you to if you wish to win the game or if you desperately need to revenge kill something a foe like Malamar and no other Pokemon on your team can kill do it. For example, when up against a Malamar, it might become necessary to send Scyther out in order to prevent it from setting up with Superpower and potentially sweep your team. Pursuit should frankly only be used against frail offensive Pokemon that are going KOd KOed by U-turn, as they might otherwise stay in and kill eliminate Scyther. Lastly, because of its mediocre bulk, if you can't get Scyther in with a Volt Switch or U-turn, (AC) (somewhat optional and still not super but clearer than the original afaict) only attempt to bring it in Scyther either against Grass-types that lack coverage options or strong secondary STAB moves or Fighting-types that are only going to be using Fighting-type moves if you can't get it in with a Volt Switch or U-turn because of its mediocre bulk.

Team Options
========
Scyther tends to work best on offensive VoltTurn teams, since it can get many switch-in opportunities to switch in, and it has good type synergy with Electric-types, being immune to Ground-type attacks. However, the ability to check Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass-types while also being able to Pursuit trap key threats is really valuable and is good enough for Scyther to be featured on balanced teams as well. Magneton is an excellent teammate and is probably the best Volt Switch user to pair with Scyther; (SC) because it forms a potent VoltTurn core with Scyther, and (no real reason, essentially "it's good because it's good". ) its common Choice Specs set can do a really good job breaking down Steel- and Rock-types that normally wall Scyther as well as having solid offensive and defensive synergy with Scyther by resisting Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks for Scyther (RC) while Scyther can handle Fighting- and Ground-type attacks. Venusaur is also a solid teammate because it can help check Virizion, which Scyther doesn't really want to stay in on since Virizion because it usually has coverage for Scyther. Venusaur also eliminates common checks for Scyther in Diancie, Rhyperior, and Alomomola. Entry hazard removers in general are mandatory teammates, since they can remove Stealth Rock, giving Scyther more chances to come in without having to worry about losing half of its health. Flygon, Blastoise, Xatu, annd and Hitmonlee in particular are four potential hazard removers that can be used with Scyther depending on the team you build. However, Sneasel can quickly become a threat to the team if Scyther is paired with Venusaur, Flygon, or Xatu, so you should make sure that you include a solid Sneasel switch-in. Additionally, Dugtrio can be a very interesting partner to trap U-turn switch-ins like Registeel and a heavily weakened Rhyperior, but it shares weaknesses with Scyther. Stealth Rock setters are nice to wear down the opposing team, especially with all the switches that U-turn forces, as you gain switch initiative and put yourself into a favorable position. A Stealth Rock user that pairs really well with Scyther is Rhyperior because it can do a good job of checking Fire-, Ice-, Steel-, and Flying-types decently well for Scyther and has the potential to run other sets in tandem with Scyther due to its versatility of running a possible Choice Band set. If you are using a VoltTurn team, Uxie is another really good Stealth Rock user because it has U-turn to keep up momentum (RC) and is a reliable Medicham check so that Scyther doesn't have to worry about Choice Scarf Medicham revenge killing it. If you want to run a Spikes stacking (RH) team, Mega Glalie is an excellent option to use as a Spikes user because most of Scyther's checks are grounded, so they will be worn down very quickly by the Spikes. Offensive Fighting- and Ground-types also make excellent partners, as they can do an excellent job breaking down the Steel- and Rock-types that are commonly used as switch-ins to Scyther. Two Pokemon in particular that love Scyther's U-turn support and can break down Rock- and Steel-types include Choice Band Rhyperior and Life Orb Medicham. One offensive Fire-type in particular that works well with Scyther is actually Mega Camerupt, (AC) as it limits the spamming of Electric-, Fire-, and Rock-type attacks against Scyther just by sitting in the back and threatening to take out a Pokemon with its insane power along with being a situational check to Flying- and Ice-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An additional option could be using an Eviolite set with Swords Dance, but the hit-and-run tactic employed by Choice Band has comes with more immediate power and doesn't leave Scyther strapped for offensive moveslots, as it has four moveslots for attacking moves as opposed to the Eviolite and Swords Dance set's two moveslots, and running Swords Dance with U-turn means that Scyther only has one attack to use after it sets up. (maybe add "by mandating Swords Dance and Roost" if you feel that isn't clear enough, but i really feel this whole part is self explanatory) A Choice Scarf set could be used for its surprise factor to pick up KOs against faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Dugtrio, and Accelgor, but it lacks the power of Choice Band, and U-turn frankly doesn't do that much damage without a boosting item. Reversal can also be used on Scyther to surprise Steel-types that usually beat it after coming into Stealth Rock twice, since it becomes a super powerful 200-Base Power move, but this means that Scyther can't switch in again and is super situational and can often be a wasted moveslot. An additional STAB option that Scyther can use is Bug Bite, (AC) since sometimes having U-turn as Scyther's only Bug-type STAB can be really harmful in late-game situations against Psychic-types that can take a U-yurn U-turn and OHKO a Fighting-type you might have in the back for another member of their team. However, Aerial Ace can usually do a better job at this due to its superior offensive typing. Brick Break is also nice for breaking through Rock-types and Steel-types that normally counter Scyther in the right situations; however, it can only be used against defensive Pokemon that lack reliable recovery or are close to or 2HKOed by the move such as Registeel and Magneton, or else it becomes a waste of time in the long run. Quick Attack can be an option for teams that need priority and is boosted by Technician, so it can get some clutch late-game revenge kills versus offensive Pokemon like Fletchinder and Jolteon, but it can cause Scyther to become setup bait for threats like Substitute and Bulk Up Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary and Swords Dance Virizion. Lastly, Steel Wing could also be used to lure and KO Diancie and Aerodactyl on switch-ins, (implied) but it's too situational to justify using most of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Perhaps the best way to check Scyther is by keeping Stealth Rock on the field, as Scyther takes 50% from it any time that it comes in, (AC) and which can really limit when Scyther can switch into the battle.

**Rock-types**: Defensive Rock-types can switch into Scyther pretty freely. Rhyperior and defensive Diancie are both excellent switch-ins to Scyther because they basically take nothing from most of its moves, but they have to be wary of coverage moves. Aerodactyl and Trick Room Diancie can also do a really good job, being able to offensively check Scyther by outspeeding it and OHKOing it with their Rock-type attacks.

**Steel-types** Steel-types make great Scyther switch-ins. Registeel and Steelix can switch into basically any move, but they have to be wary of being worn down too much by Choice Band-boosted U-turn and giving up momentum to wallbreakers, and Registeel has to be wary of Brick Break.

**Jolteon**: Jolteon is a solid Scyther check because it can outspeed Scyther and KO Scyther it with its STAB Electric-type attacks, but it has to be wary of switching into U-turn.

**Ice-types**: Sneasel in particular can outspeed Scyther and OHKO Scyther it with STAB Icicle Crash, (AC) while Mega Glalie, (AC) which is really threatening, (AC) (if that's what it was referring to?) can OHKO Scyther with STAB Ice Shard if Scyther has already taken Stealth Rock damage, which is really threatening. Mega Glalie is also bulky enough to tank an Aerial Ace late-game if it has to and can fire back a Refrigerate-boosted STAB move to destroy Scyther.

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that can outspeed or outprioritize Scyther that and are strong enough to really threaten it can check Scyther on offensive teams. Examples of these include Choice Scarf Thunder Punch Medicham, Fletchinder, and Virizion with Stone Edge.

**Garbodor**: Rocky Helmet Garbodor can also be a really strong check to Scyther because it resists U-turn, (AC) and can cause Scyther to take chip damage every that it comes in or attacks Garbodor with a contact move, (AC) while also being is able to tank an Aerial Ace, (AC) and can threaten Scyther with STAB Gunk Shot.

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Scyther has a generic Bug / Flying typing, but its stat spread is very different from other Pokemon of its type. It is a good pivot with access to STAB U-turn coming off of its base 110 Attack, which, when coupled with a Choice Band, can provide free switches for your team. Additionally, Scyther is a nice check to Fighting- and Grass-type Pokemon by virtue of its typing, and it the threat of its Choice Band-boosted U-turn pretty much guarantees that your team won't have to worry about Malamar from the start of the match, as a Choice Band-boosted U-turn is very threatening to Malamar. Scyther possesses a solid base 105 Speed tier, outspeeding all but a few Pokemon in the tier. Defensively, Scyther can pivot into Ground-, Fighting-, and Grass-type moves because of the lack of damage those moves inflict upon Scyther. However, Scyther's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock really stops it from switching in a lot without good entry hazard removal support or a team that applies a lot of offensive pressure on opposing Stealth Rock users. Scyther also has unfortunate weaknesses to common attacking types in Ice, Electric, Rock, and Flying, so it can lack defensive utility in some situations. Not only that, but it has Additionally, its mediocre 70 / 80 / 80 (spaces) bulk that can limit its ability to pivot in and fire off attacks without slow VoltTurn support, which, (AC) when coupled with its weaknesses, can make it a liability defensively at times. Lastly, (AC) Scyther doesn't possess the mind-boggling power of Medicham or Hitmonlee as a wallbreaker, so it has a hard time breaking through bulkier teams without proper support and ends up being more of a pivot than anything else.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
U-turn lets Scyther gain momentum for your team by getting switch initiative against defensive checks like Registeel. Aerial Ace is Scyther's strongest STAB move and is can make it a nice late-game wincon that can clean up the game when your opponent's Flying-type checks are weakened, and it can threaten a lot of important Grass-type threats such as Venusaur. Knock Off can really hurt defensive Pokemon that appreciate recovery such as Alomomola while also hitting defensive Ghost-types that attempt to switch into Scyther's Bug-type attacks. Knock Off can also generally smack Psychic-types like Delphox really hard in situations where Scyther does not want to switch out of the battle. Lastly, Pursuit is super very useful for trapping frailer offensive Pokemon like Hoopa that threaten the rest of your team.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========
When there are no entry hazards on the field, you will probably be clicking U-turn most of the time in the early-game and mid-game, as it gains offensive momentum and can really get the drop on your opponent. However, you can also click Knock Off during the early-game when against a defensive team with a check that really appreciates Leftovers recovery like Wish + Protect (spaces) Alomomola or when a Ghost-type like Cofagrigus is going to come in to try and take a Bug-type attack. Scyther can clean during the late-game with Aerial Ace, (AC) but you can use it at any point of the game if it's going to take a chunk out of the foe and if it does significantly more damage than U-turn. Make sure not to send Scyther into Stealth Rock when they are it is up unless it's a late-game situation that requires you to if you wish to win the game or if you desperately need to revenge kill something a foe like Malamar and no other Pokemon on your team can kill do it. For example, when up against a Malamar, it might become necessary to send Scyther out in order to prevent it from setting up with Superpower and potentially sweep your team. Pursuit should frankly only be used against frail offensive Pokemon that are going KOd KOed by U-turn, as they might otherwise stay in and kill eliminate Scyther. Lastly, because of its mediocre bulk, if you can't get Scyther in with a Volt Switch or U-turn, (AC) (somewhat optional and still not super but clearer than the original afaict) only attempt to bring it in Scyther either against Grass-types that lack coverage options or strong secondary STAB moves or Fighting-types that are only going to be using Fighting-type moves if you can't get it in with a Volt Switch or U-turn because of its mediocre bulk.

Team Options
========
Scyther tends to work best on offensive VoltTurn teams, since it can get many switch-in opportunities to switch in, and it has good type synergy with Electric-types, being immune to Ground-type attacks. However, the ability to check Psychic-, Fighting-, and Grass-types while also being able to Pursuit trap key threats is really valuable and is good enough for Scyther to be featured on balanced teams as well. Magneton is an excellent teammate and is probably the best Volt Switch user to pair with Scyther; (SC) because it forms a potent VoltTurn core with Scyther, and (no real reason, essentially "it's good because it's good". ) its common Choice Specs set can do a really good job breaking down Steel- and Rock-types that normally wall Scyther as well as having solid offensive and defensive synergy with Scyther by resisting Ice-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks for Scyther (RC) while Scyther can handle Fighting- and Ground-type attacks. Venusaur is also a solid teammate because it can help check Virizion, which Scyther doesn't really want to stay in on since Virizion because it usually has coverage for Scyther. Venusaur also eliminates common checks for Scyther in Diancie, Rhyperior, and Alomomola. Entry hazard removers in general are mandatory teammates, since they can remove Stealth Rock, giving Scyther more chances to come in without having to worry about losing half of its health. Flygon, Blastoise, Xatu, annd and Hitmonlee in particular are four potential hazard removers that can be used with Scyther depending on the team you build. However, Sneasel can quickly become a threat to the team if Scyther is paired with Venusaur, Flygon, or Xatu, so you should make sure that you include a solid Sneasel switch-in. Additionally, Dugtrio can be a very interesting partner to trap U-turn switch-ins like Registeel and a heavily weakened Rhyperior, but it shares weaknesses with Scyther. Stealth Rock setters are nice to wear down the opposing team, especially with all the switches that U-turn forces, as you gain switch initiative and put yourself into a favorable position. A Stealth Rock user that pairs really well with Scyther is Rhyperior because it can do a good job of checking Fire-, Ice-, Steel-, and Flying-types decently well for Scyther and has the potential to run other sets in tandem with Scyther due to its versatility of running a possible Choice Band set. If you are using a VoltTurn team, Uxie is another really good Stealth Rock user because it has U-turn to keep up momentum (RC) and is a reliable Medicham check so that Scyther doesn't have to worry about Choice Scarf Medicham revenge killing it. If you want to run a Spikes stacking (RH) team, Mega Glalie is an excellent option to use as a Spikes user because most of Scyther's checks are grounded, so they will be worn down very quickly by the Spikes. Offensive Fighting- and Ground-types also make excellent partners, as they can do an excellent job breaking down the Steel- and Rock-types that are commonly used as switch-ins to Scyther. Two Pokemon in particular that love Scyther's U-turn support and can break down Rock- and Steel-types include Choice Band Rhyperior and Life Orb Medicham. One offensive Fire-type in particular that works well with Scyther is actually Mega Camerupt, (AC) as it limits the spamming of Electric-, Fire-, and Rock-type attacks against Scyther just by sitting in the back and threatening to take out a Pokemon with its insane power along with being a situational check to Flying- and Ice-types.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An additional option could be using an Eviolite set with Swords Dance, but the hit-and-run tactic employed by Choice Band has comes with more immediate power and doesn't leave Scyther strapped for offensive moveslots, as it has four moveslots for attacking moves as opposed to the Eviolite and Swords Dance set's two moveslots, and running Swords Dance with U-turn means that Scyther only has one attack to use after it sets up. (maybe add "by mandating Swords Dance and Roost" if you feel that isn't clear enough, but i really feel this whole part is self explanatory) A Choice Scarf set could be used for its surprise factor to pick up KOs against faster Pokemon such as Jolteon, Dugtrio, and Accelgor, but it lacks the power of Choice Band, and U-turn frankly doesn't do that much damage without a boosting item. Reversal can also be used on Scyther to surprise Steel-types that usually beat it after coming into Stealth Rock twice, since it becomes a super powerful 200-Base Power move, but this means that Scyther can't switch in again and is super situational and can often be a wasted moveslot. An additional STAB option that Scyther can use is Bug Bite, (AC) since sometimes having U-turn as Scyther's only Bug-type STAB can be really harmful in late-game situations against Psychic-types that can take a U-yurn U-turn and OHKO a Fighting-type you might have in the back for another member of their team. However, Aerial Ace can usually do a better job at this due to its superior offensive typing. Brick Break is also nice for breaking through Rock-types and Steel-types that normally counter Scyther in the right situations; however, it can only be used against defensive Pokemon that lack reliable recovery or are close to or 2HKOed by the move such as Registeel and Magneton, or else it becomes a waste of time in the long run. Quick Attack can be an option for teams that need priority and is boosted by Technician, so it can get some clutch late-game revenge kills versus offensive Pokemon like Fletchinder and Jolteon, but it can cause Scyther to become setup bait for threats like Substitute and Bulk Up Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary and Swords Dance Virizion. Lastly, Steel Wing could also be used to lure and KO Diancie and Aerodactyl on switch-ins, (implied) but it's too situational to justify using most of the time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stealth Rock**: Perhaps the best way to check Scyther is by keeping Stealth Rock on the field, as Scyther takes 50% from it any time that it comes in, (AC) and which can really limit when Scyther can switch into the battle.

**Rock-types**: Defensive Rock-types can switch into Scyther pretty freely. Rhyperior and defensive Diancie are both excellent switch-ins to Scyther because they basically take nothing from most of its moves, but they have to be wary of coverage moves. Aerodactyl and Trick Room Diancie can also do a really good job, being able to offensively check Scyther by outspeeding it and OHKOing it with their Rock-type attacks.

**Jolteon**: Jolteon is a solid Scyther check because it can outspeed Scyther and KO Scyther it with its STAB Electric-type attacks, but it has to be wary of switching into U-turn.

**Ice-types**: Sneasel in particular can outspeed Scyther and OHKO Scyther it with STAB Icicle Crash, (AC) while Mega Glalie, (AC) which is really threatening, (AC) (if that's what it was referring to?) can OHKO Scyther with STAB Ice Shard if Scyther has already taken Stealth Rock damage, which is really threatening. Mega Glalie is also bulky enough to tank an Aerial Ace late-game if it has to and can fire back a Refrigerate-boosted STAB move to destroy Scyther.

**Fast Offensive Pokemon**: Pokemon that can outspeed or outprioritize Scyther that and are strong enough to really threaten it can check Scyther on offensive teams. Examples of these include Choice Scarf Thunder Punch Medicham, Fletchinder, and Virizion with Stone Edge.

**Garbodor**: Rocky Helmet Garbodor can also be a really strong check to Scyther because it resists U-turn, (AC) and can cause Scyther to take chip damage every that it comes in or attacks Garbodor with a contact move, (AC) while also being is able to tank an Aerial Ace, (AC) and can threaten Scyther with STAB Gunk Shot.
Implemented :] Ready for upload :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)