Seaking is a BOSS in VGC'12

Err yea.. Like the title says: I trained a lot for VGC lately and like everyone I tested many different teams and sets and such. In the end I came up with two teams, that work really well and it was just a matter of preference. But enough of talking, let's head right to the team.

Build:
While looking through the list of Pokemon and released DW abilities I somehow stopped at Seaking. With it's newly released Ability Lightningrod it's not just immune to Electric type moves but also gets a free Special Attack boost by it. Discharge makes a great partner move for this pokemon as it not just ensures, Seaking gets a free boost every turn, but its neat 30% chance to paralyze helps even further as Seaking's speed just suck.. No really, it's like total crap in comparison to pretty much everything else, that's not meant to be used under Trick Room conditions. So I decided to team it up with the fastest user: Jolteon!

Ok, just 1 Pokemon with access to Discharge isn't that great, so I was in need of a 2nd user. Since Jolteon is also immune to Electric type moves, I wanted the other being immune to. In the end, I decided to run Electivire.

So now that my main core is ready, it's time to look up for useful Pokemon for the other half of my team. The main problem of the current line up is, that it's mainly planned to run special attacking moves. However, I have a bigger problem: permanent weather. VGC is the usual playfield for anything with Sand Rush, Swift Swim and Chlorophyll. The bad thing about it? I have nothing to outspeed any of them, unless I run a Choice Scarf. And I really don't want to play that item on any of my pokes. However, I decided to look for several weather counters, to balance my team and prepare it for any possibility. First, for Sand teams, I decided to run Garchomp. Sand Veil is just amazing, it has impressive raw power, access to Outrage... and it has an immunity to electric type moves, what could be fitted better ;3

Next, I urgently need a Pokemon, that can abuse Rain. Even though I already have 2 Electric types and Seaking, I really want to make sure, I don't get overrunned by 9001 Swift Swim users. This also means, I need a swift swimmer on my own, that also takes as less damage as possible, so Kingdra seemed a very safe choice.

Last but not least: Sun Teams. Sun, especially Chlorophyll users can hurt pretty much everything in my team hard if I let them come that far. So I definately need a Fire-type immunity for my team. Since Trick Room is also a problem, Chandelure is a very appealing choice thanks to Imprison.

Now that the line up is complete, let's have a closer look on any of them.

Seaking (F) @ Rindo Berry
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Even after a single Special Attack boost, STAB'd Hydro Pump hit many things pretty damn hard. The more boosts the harder it is to stop it from sweeping. Ice Beam hits the ever common Zapos and Latios. Zapdos especially has a really hard time against Seaking as it's immune to its STAB move and resist Heat Wave. HP Grass was the main reason I decided to put on Rindo Berry. However it hasn't much use lately. Focus Sash or Focus Band might work better. HP Fire on the last slot is a great addition as it nails Abomasnow, Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP Grass was on the last slot just to not get walled by Gastrodon and Water types in general. However, since I'm spamming Discharge all over the place, it turned out to be a dead move on it.

Jolteon (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Detect

Jolteon is just amazing. With not much in the metagame that can outspeed it unless certain weather effects are active or Tailwind/Trick Room got set up, it has plenty of time spamming Discharge all over the field. With Seaking as its main leading partner, it fulfills two roles at the same time: Boosting Seakings SpA while spreading paralysis over the opponents team. Except for Garchomp as a common choice in terms of Electric immunity, there's not much of a problem, using it as often as possible. Shadow Ball gives coverage, mainly hitting Cresselia and Chandelure hard. HP Ice gives additional coverage against Dragon types, especially the already highlighted Garchomp. Detect over Protect because of Imprison. Air Balloon is the prefered choice because of incredibly common Earthquakes.

Electivire (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Motor Drive
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Discharge
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Man, this thing rocks. With Discharge and Rock Slide, it works like a small ParaFlincher but also does further support to the team. Taunt might look like a stupid choice, but it made E-vire my primary choice against possible Trick Room teams. Since people don't expect it anyways, it's very rare, that it gets aimed by Fake Out or faster Taunts. Protect = standard move. Expert Belt to reduce the damage cut of multi-hitting moves slightly.

Garchomp (F) @ Yache Berry
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Protect

*RAWR* I can't think of this team without Garchomp. Great dual STAB that helps hitting a lot of stuff that might cause problems. Crunch is mainly used against Cresselia and Chandelure hanging on an Air Balloon. Outrage over Dragon Claw because I want the raw damage output it offers, even when I can't control what to hit. Earthquake with 2 Electric types is no big deal as they both can protect theirselves from getting hit. Yache Berry to survive incoming Abomasnow's and fellow first hitting Blizzards.

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Kingdra is just a powerhouse and in the very few occasions it had to battle it really did its job. Draco Meteor is just amazing when you play in a metagame with 5-10 turns max. Hydro Pump gives all the coverage needed and it's Kingdras most powerfull move right after Meteors. Icy Wind is to support the team, slowing Swift Swimmers and Scarfers down to a level where they're not that threatening anymore. Protect again a standard choice, Life Orb pulls off the maximum of Kingdra's power.

Chandelure (M) @ Red Card
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Imprison
- Protect
- Trick Room

Last but not least, the obviously hottest Ghost around ;3 As I already said, I use an uncommon Imprison variant to make sure Trick Room teams won't nerf me but also this set absolutely locks down other Chandelure from doing anything to mine. I don't intend to use Trick Room with this set, as my team is pretty fast in general and it'd be counterproductive for me to do so. Also, shutting down any Protect the opponent has is plain amazing and it gives me the opportunity to hit everything as hard as possible. Shadow Ball was the prefered attacking move because Cresselia is still a B**ch.

===

I wish I could link my PO battles here, but for some reason it never saved my battles. Later on I figured out it was setted on Disabled for whatever reason.. Well yea, that's it I guess. Hope you liked the team and give some advices as I'm still using it a lot, I just won't use it in VGC tourney next month. Thanks for reading =3

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It seems like specially defensive Gastrodon will give you hell. Garchomp is the only one that can really hurt it, so once she's gone you're in trouble. I'd consider either another physical attacker or adding a Grass-type attack.

Kingdra seems kind of out of place, as without rain support it's inferior to most other Draco Meteor users. If you're using it for Icy Wind support, I would consider a bulkier spread.

As I've said to other people, I'm really not a fan of Imprison Chandelure. It's a bit of a one-trick Pokémon, especially since it only has one attacking move and most of your team is too fast to make use of Trick Room for yourself, and it's easily punishable if you predict wrong, especially since the lack of a Focus Sash means that any strong super effective attack can knock it out and completely waste your effort.

Due to its Electric weak-pokemon supporting role, I'd call Seaking more of an Assistance, not a Boss... Anyways, I'd recommend turning this team into a Rain team. You already haave Kingdra, Seaking, Jolteon on the time, so that would make it better. You'd have to scrap Electivire, Chandelure, and Garchomp though, but it is a good way to consistantly win games.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Kingdra doesn't really fit well with this team. Without Rain Dance, an easy Draco Meteor can OHKO Kingdra before you have a change to attack. I suggest making this a Rain Dance team. If you really want to dismantle Sun teams, I HIGHLY recommend a Rain team. I specialize in Rain teams, and if you need help ask me, or the other users that are much more experienced then me :). And replace Seaking with Jellicent, just because it has more bulk and more immunities. I have a good Rain team in mind, but that's only if you want to make a Rain Dance team. XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)