1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Special Season 2: Revenge Of The Ubers!

Discussion in 'Battle Spot' started by Theorymon, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Theorymon

Theorymon You're still our 1-up boy!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]

Clearly the other Ubers weren't happy about being left out last season, because this special is all about them! Here are the rules

-This is a 3v3s Singles format, and this shares pretty much every rule with Battle Spot Singles!

-The twist: you can use ONE restricted Pokemon, which are pretty much Mewtwo, events, and boxart Ubers!

-Here's the list of restricted Pokemon: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, and Magearna

Early viability list

S

Mega Rayquaza
    Arceus-Normal
    A

Kyogre
    Tapu Lele
    Mega Salamence
    Special Arceus (mainly Fairy, Ghost, and Dark. We may split these up if needed)
    Mimikyu
    Garchomp
    Celesteela
    Tapu Koko
    Mega Gengar
    Aegislash
    Cloyster

B

Lunala
    Landorus-T
    Landorus
    Ferrothorn
    Yveltal
    Primal Groudon
    Xerneas
    Ditto
    Mega Gyarados
    Porygon2
    Alolan Ninetales
    Pheromosa
    Mamoswine
    Whimsicott

C

Deoxys-A
    Solgaleo
    Lugia
    Ho-Oh
    Dialga
    Mewtwo
    Tapu Fini
    Cresselia
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Leader Wallace, Pilo, Solerme and 5 others like this.
  2. Psynergy

Psynergy My turn!
    is a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

No surprise that I'm really looking forward to this special, any reason to use Rayquaza is good enough for me. Limiting to only one legend is a very interesting dynamic as opposed to allowing more, which while making a good chunk of options basically worthless (see: 90% of event legends), it does kinda make some options less immediately appealing.

Groudon in particular sounds less ideal as a choice than it might have been if we could use 2 or 3 legends, since using your legend for a more defensive role seems less effective than going a more offensive route, making it harder to make up for the offense elsewhere. The nerfs to Kangaskhan and Salamence also makes those two stand out less as non-Rayquaza Mega choices to fill that power gap too. I'm not saying Groudon won't be a top tier choice but I see plenty of reason to not use Groudon as your legend for this. Rayquaza, Xerneas, Groudon and Arceus stand out to me the most as top choices for this, but having to cover everything else with non-restricted Pokemon will be interesting.
    Theorymon likes this.
  3. cant say

cant say
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Global Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

FINALLY I can use Cosmoem
  4. LegoFigure11

LegoFigure11 :thinking:
    is a Community Contributor

FREE COSMOM (open)

[​IMG]
  5. Vif-Argent

Vif-Argent

Since Bank isn't out, are the 'Alola Battle' resources a good start ?
  6. Theorymon

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Yeah a lot of what was said there will probably work here too. However, expect Lunala to be more diverse with the items it has at its disposal, and some stuff like Porygon2, Cloyster, and Alolan Marowak are now viable since items are back.
  7. I dont care

I dont care formerly mafreel

Imo they uses mew and mewtwo as mascotte 'cause they wanna do a mewtwo and mew event gift, with mew we'll get the mew Z Crystal.

I suppose it. I don't know if gf said anything about this.
  8. elnimio

elnimio

So when the hell is the bank gonna be opened?
  9. Theorymon

No one really knows outside of "this month". My best guess is that Pokebank will get updated on either the 19th or the 26th, since those are eshop update days. Hard to tell though besides "soon" x_x
  10. BlazingBarrager

BlazingBarrager

This is the kind of Battle Spot I've been looking forward to. Now I just need to relearn how to play Singles again...
  11. LegoFigure11

LegoFigure11 :thinking:
    is a Community Contributor

Any word on if the Pentagon rule applies to transferred legends (ie can I use Multiscale Lugia), or is it the same ambiguity as the result of the battle spot formats?
    <Totes> likes this.
  12. Zukrad

Zukrad

As far as we know, only Pokémon obtained in XY, ORAS and SM are usable
    LegoFigure11 likes this.
  13. Leader Wallace

Leader Wallace

When will the ladder be up on Showdown?
    4lexander3 likes this.
  14. Theorymon

Pokebank is officially out, now its time for this metagame to really begin!
  15. The Immortal

The Immortal They Don't Want None
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

Now :toast:
  16. ArtezzaMagnus

ArtezzaMagnus

Kind of wish this was doubles so I could screw around with supporting a White Kyurem. All my ideas don't work in singles.

Oh well. I'm sure theres other legends I can use that I haven't touched before.
  17. Meultima

Meultima

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/#special

Interesting to note how Lunala and Mimikyu are both dominating the Special usage rankings at the moment. I'm also rather amused and intrigued that both happen to be the shiny brand new Gen 7 Ghost types with protective abilities.
  18. Theorymon

AFAIK they haven't updated with post and stats yet.
    cant say and Kong Harald like this.
  19. Meultima

Meultima

Sorry, what does that mean? Other gen Ubers are listed there, so it should be reflective of the current season, right?
  20. Psynergy

Psynergy My turn!
    is a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

He probably missed that, but one thing I'd note is that these stats are biased towards pre-bank stats since the season started about a week before Bank actually came out, so it's not entirely representative of the format. Some of these Pokemon in pre-bank will also remain relevant post-bank so their usage isn't going to just disappear either, but the fact that Groudon is so low makes me think there are also isn't a ton of people on this ladder at the moment so usage will be kinda weird for awhile. But yeah, there's no way Lunala is that far ahead of Arceus and Rayquaza, though in a pre-bank setting it's easily the #1 Pokemon.

That being said, seeing Groudon and Xerneas so low at the moment while Rayquaza and Arceus shot up to top 10 so fast makes me think the impressions I was getting in teambuilding weren't wrong. Guess those two aren't as immediately appealing as choices as I initially thought they might be.
  21. Theorymon

Me and Psynergy talked about it, and now have an early viability list up! Feel free to discuss the finer points of it, there could be stuff that it's missing!
  22. Ainz

Ainz

Hi all, I usually play battle spot singles (free battles) 3v3 with special pokemon allowed. Recently I have quite a bit of trouble facing Extreme killer arceus. Quite often it comes in with a +2 swords dance and starts sweeping away. Against pokemon that can tank a +2 shadow claw/earthquake/extremespeed they often swap out to another pokemon that can deal chip damage to the tank so that it cannot tank well the next time it comes in on arceus. I would much prefer a pokemon that could act as a counter rather than a check to this pokemon. Any help would be much appreciated.

Am I asking for advice in the wrong thread?This threads seems to be for battle spot 3v3 rating battles. If so, I apologize in advance and kindly seek the assistance of smogonites to direct me to the right thread for advice.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  23. Kietharr

Kietharr

M-Sableye is a pretty good answer since WoW/Foul Play both deal with the boosts and the typing ensures it can get in on extremespeed or SD safely. M-Salamence and M-Gengar are checks that can still work in the right circumstance but are weaker with the aerialate/destiny bond nerfs. Bulky Yveltal is also a good answer to variants that don't carry stone edge.
  24. cant say

cant say
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Global Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

I moved your post to our thread on the Special season ruleset which allows legendaries there. Please note we do not discuss free battles in this forum. I suggest giving rated Special a try if you like using legends though.
  25. Ainz

Ainz

Can anyone share their roster with counters against arceus? The bulky recover types can outheal choice-specced modest lunala, so any overall help for team building against arceus would be great. Just lost to a bulky steel arceus with judgement that outlasted earthquake from my mega salamence, any tips?

Just started on special battles :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)