1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Special Season 6: BSS UU!

Discussion in 'Cartridge Formats' started by Theorymon, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Theorymon

Theorymon I'll be your 1-up girl!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

[​IMG]
    Battle Spot Special Season 6: Battle Spot Singles UnderUsed!

>>> PGL Announcement <<<

Rules

-This is a standard 3vs3 ladder. Anything that's banned in Battle Spot Singles, is still banned here.
    -This ladder lasts from September 12th to November 14th.​

It's Battle Spot Singles with a twist: 18 commonly used Pokemon from the last few seasons are banned!

These Pokemon are:
    Aegislash
    Blaziken
    Charizard
    Ferrothorn
    Garchomp
    Gengar
    Greninja
    Gyarados
    Hippowdon
    Landorus (all formes)
    Lucario
    Mamoswine
    Mimikyu
    Porygon2
    Salamence
    Tapu Fini
    Tapu Koko
    Tapu Lele

This is in addition to the standard banned mons from regular BSS which are: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Hoopa-U, Volcanion, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, and Greninja with Battle Bond.

Viability List
    Soon™

Roles

Will be updated after some discussion!

Some Battle Spot Singles resources that can help

While this will be a new metagame, looking through Battle Spot Single's stuff could be handy here, since a lot of the good Pokemon there will probably still be good here if they aren't banned!

Introduction to 3vs3: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/an-introduction-to-3v3-singles-aka-bss.3601012/

Battle Spot Singles viability list: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bss-viability-rankings.3605970/

Damage calc, usage, speed tiers, and chatrooms: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...age-calc-usage-stats-and-speed-tiers.3597695/
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2017
    Lionyx, cant say, Vif-Argent and 2 others like this.
  2. Siggu

Siggu

What is this that I hear? Is it hordes of Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Metagross approaching?

No, really, they are going to be everywhere with the only Megas that are better than them being banned.
    Aaronboyer, Theorymon and cant say like this.
  3. Vif-Argent

Vif-Argent

The last time they did that Megagross break the meta. M-Lopunny stills a thing and Tapu Bulu is the only terrain inducer. Haha it looks like the best Special for now.
    ThickFatAzumarill likes this.
  4. Theorymon

is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Yo something I just realized: This metagame banned most of the really good Ghost-types (bar the niche but really neat Chandelure).

Why is this a big deal? It's because with them gone, I think Pheromosa (and to a lesser extent, Buzzwole) may be FAR more viable than usual! I'll have to try them out for sure!

Speaking of Ghost-types, I'm thinking the standard one around here is going to be Chandelure. It seems to be the only "pretty good" Ghost-type left from what I'm seeing.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Solerme likes this.
  5. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

Alolan Marowak is also worth looking at because Thundurus-T is looking nice in this.
    ThickFatAzumarill and Theorymon like this.
  6. Theorymon

That's a good point, especially since a lot of the 18 removed Pokemon were major issues for Alolan Marowak! While I wouldn't call Alolan Marowak "bulky" per say, its certainly the closest thing to a bulky offensive Ghost-type allowed in this metagame. It'll probably be standard on Trick Room teams for sure.

Speaking of Trick Room, losing Porygon2 and Mimikyu are pretty big blows to that format, but I think it'll still be very usable. On the offensive TR front, Chandelure probably still works fine, and on the bulkier side, we still got Cresselia and Slowbro.
  7. Vif-Argent

Vif-Argent

Golisopod is gonna be an interesting mon in this format. While not being effective against a lot of Megas and weak to Thundurus, Golisopod has a clear advantage against TR stuff (Chandelure, A-Marowak, Cresselia, Slowbro), Tapu Bulu, Volcarona, Hydreigon... Not necessary a first choice but a good back one.
  8. ThickFatAzumarill

ThickFatAzumarill

Wow, so many Ground-Types are banned in this. Landorus, Garchomp, Mamoswine and Hippowdon. The next decent ones down the line are Nidoking, Krookodile and Swampert. I wonder how good they'll be.
  9. Siggu

Siggu

I think Krookodile could work as while there are a lot of Ground-types that are banned in this season, almost everything else makes Krookodile's life harder. It would be easier to list what does not deal SE damage on it.
  10. Theorymon

Swampert already works alright as Hippowdon alternative if you aren't using its Mega (though I'm sure rain is gonna love Ferrothorn being gone), since it gets Yawn and Stealth Rock. In my experience it can do ok against Mega Metagross too, though I can see more of them running Zen Headbutt to nail Mega Venusaur.

I'm thinking about Mudsdale too, since with Rocky Helmet and Stamina, Mega Kangaskhan has a ton of trouble with it. Should do decently against Mega Metagross too!
  11. ThickFatAzumarill

ThickFatAzumarill

My first thought about Swampert was as a Hippo replacement before its Mega, but Rain also sounds scary in the format. I wonder if we'll see obscure mons that can counter it like Mantine and Rotom-W.

Mudsdale sounds pretty good on paper as well, Stamina + RH is a dangerous combo.
  12. GroudonEmpire

GroudonEmpire

tfw Gen 7 Thundurus-Therian is considered "UU"
  13. Solerme

Solerme
    is an official Team Rater

your mega heracross TR core is going to be dope in this meta imo
    cant say likes this.
  14. I'm In Math Class Bro

I'm In Math Class Bro

So....

Tapu Bulu and Heatran aren't banned?

I'd love to see if there are any prizes for this one, because I'm mostly unhindered by this list
  15. GroudonEmpire

GroudonEmpire

Yes this is true Mega Heracross CressTran TR with Azu Thundurus-T and ScarfDriller (instead of Mamo since Mamo is banned and even in normal Gen 7, the gen 7 version of that team runs a different moveset of Hera and Exca over Mamo anyway) is going to be very powerful. However, as was the case when using that team since gen 6, Mawile teams always find a way to mess everything up. So BuluTran Mawile TR is looking more solid imo! Can probably have a Thundurus-I on that team instead too for pretty much free Prankster Twave abuse now and wonderful support for them outside of TR and stopping TR too if they have something antiTR like Amoon or something.
    cant say likes this.
  16. TimG57867

TimG57867

So with Blaziken banned, is it now Scolipede's time to shine? I'll admit that I'm no BSS's pro. I am relatively new to the format and trying to make headway on catridge metagames and I figure this would be the time. I looked through BSS's rankings and didn't see any Scolipede in the rankings. Then I remembered that Blaziken and its Mega are legal in this format and would probably overshadow it, particularly on teams where Blaziken is the main mega. But with the best Speed Boost Baton Passer banned, Scolipede should have a chance to shine. I've been considering creating a team with Scolipede and Alolan Ninetails as well as 4 Pokemon that could take advantage of one or the other's ulility in Speed Passing and Aurora Veil respectively depending on the matchup. I imagine Pokemon like Mega-Metagross, Toxapex, and Volcarona could be good candidates.
  17. Theorymon

Personally if I were to do that, I'd probably get rid of Alolan Ninetales, and make the team a bit more ordinary with the bonus of "Scolipede can sometimes pass to some dangerous sweepers". Granted, I haven't gotten the chance to play this yet (should change late tonight though!), but there seems to be a lot of stall running around, so I'd try to find a way against that too. Mega Heraross with a speed boost in particular sounds very deadly in this metagame actually!
  18. TimG57867

TimG57867

Yeah, Mega Heracross is a good choice isn't it? With a lot of Ghosts kicked out, its STAB has become more potent and with Speed Boosts and possibly a Substitue or SD delivered to it, it can wreak havoc at the right moment! Although I find it interesting to hear stall is becoming common. Though that's probably to be expected with all the busted heavy hitters banned. I'll probably want a powerful Special nuking mon like Mega Xurkitree (mine's got HP Ice. Woot!), Mega Gardevoir, or Porygon-Z. The team could also use an obligatory wall or two like Chansey and Toxapex, and good Taunt supporter would be much appreciated along with a strong Z-User. Would also need to make sure my team can function in matchups where BP is unusable/make Scolipede self sufficent.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)