1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Seasonal Ladder - April (Fools Festival)

Discussion in 'Other Metagames' started by Joim, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Joim

Joim Navigate the pitfalls, cross the great divide!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Fools Festival

[​IMG]

It's a bit soon to post the thread, but I'm going on holidays and I want this to be perfect. The Immortal will take care of Seasonal while I'm out on April. As usual, feel free to comment about the metagame in this thread, if you see something wrong I encourage you to report it here.
    ---
    This month features spring and three events: the famous April fools' day, the 4/20, and the national poetry month in the US.

• Crazy Spring weather is once again featured. For April, there's a 65% chance of Rain Dance, a 30% chance of Sunny Day, and a 5% chance of Hail.
    • Grass Pokémon everywhere due to spring!
    • Pokémon will be fooling you with jokes. There's a 20% chance that a Pokémon will be using the Illusion ability!
    • However, most Pokémon will simply prank. Every Pokémon will have a 40% chance of having the Prankster ability.
    • Additionally, natural Illusion and Prankster users will join the party.
    • There's a very special guest, well known for trolling your game data: Missingno. It will be around, ready to troll the opponent with its extensive pranky movepool!
    • The game itself will prank you. Time to time (40%), moves will have their typing changed. You didn't expect that, did you!
    • Pokémon are making a fool of themselves, so some of them will have a special switch-in message.
    • As a 4/20 spotlight, we'll have some stoned Pokémon that will get -1 speed and +1 to defenses upon switch in.
    • To celebrate the poetry month, every time a Pokémon faints the game will dedicate to the poor trainer a nice poem. Haikus included!
    • Some Pokémon will let their poet inside unleash when using the moves Attract and Charm, using a pick up line on their opponents. Let's see if that works!
    • April's birthstone is Diamond, so we are having Dialga as a guest too!
    List of troll and Prankster Pokémon (open)

Missingno, Whimsicott, Liepard, Sableye, Thundurus, Tornadus, Illumise, Murkrow, Purrloin, Riolu, Volbeat, Rotom-Heat, Rotom-Fan, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Gliscor, Magikarp

List of stoned Pokémon (open)

Koffing, Weezing, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Slowking, Psyduck, Spinda

List of grass Pokémon (open)

Venusaur, Serperior, Sceptile, Shiftry, Torterra, Meganium, Leafeon, Roserade, Amonguss, Parasect, Breloom, Abomasnow, Rotom-Mow, Wormadam, Tropius, Lilligant, Ludicolo, Cacturne, Vileplume, Bellossom, Victreebel, Jumpluff, Carnivine, Sawsbuck, Virizion, Shaymin, Arceus-Grass, Shaymin-Sky, Tangrowth, Pansage, Maractus, Cradily, Celebi, Exeggutor, Ferrothorn

List of Illusion Pokémon (open)

Zorua, Zoroark

2. Joim

is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I won't take the reference out just because there are users with no sense of humor :/ I've never taken any drug besides alcohol and I don't even drink that anymore, I'm usually against drugs yet I added that seasonal day (big thing in the US). Surely you can live with that humoristic reference, since tobacco causes way more deaths than it and it's legal.
  3. zfs

zfs Everything old is new again
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

We can't remove everything that might be seen as tasteless. The March Seasonal ladder has references to alcohol, even though alcoholism can be a huge problem for many people.

Just take it as it is intended, as a little bit of in-season humor.

Looks fun, Joim; I'm especially looking forward to some Missingno havoc!
  4. Pwnemon

Pwnemon Switching is a metagame trend
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

maybe if you're a grateful dead fan / making a bad joke at the expense of grateful dead fans

i dont want the us's reputation tarnished by something as retarded as "lol 4/20." it's basically the 69 of calendars
  5. Arcticblast

Arcticblast (im)patiently waiting for SPL
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Hey guys, let's not argue about drug humor in a metagame thread.

As for a suggestion, how about a low-level Dialga? Diamond is April's birthstone, after all. (also please please please take out Magikarp, it isn't funny...)
  6. Joim

Pwnemon, that's pretty short sighted. I won't discuss it further since I find the references funny, but there's more to cannabis than pot heads, like cancer treatment.
    Low level Dialga looks like a good idea, I'm adding it. Magikarp has Magikarp's revenge, but I can take it out if you want it badly :(
  7. tehy

tehy

If you want to talk about bad humor, let's go for Miss jokes. I'm speaking of stupid stuff like Stone Miss. It's not funny, it's just dumb. Fail is even worse really, considering it's so overused in annoying ways already. So here's an idea to fix this.

Instead of just giving these to stuff that actually misses, let's randomly have every 100% move have a 10% chance of becoming a "fail" or "miss" move. These moves are now 80%. For example, Flamethrower can become Flamethrower miss. Or if we want to get really creative, Failthrower, but that might take a lot of effort. It's easy to work in the flavor too-even the MOVES are being pranksters!
  8. Gerard

Gerard

How is that we're getting a cannabis reference but we missed Pi Day? :(
    Anyway this seems interesting as Prankster makes everything 40% more annoying
  9. youngjake93

youngjake93

All Voltorb/Electrode(Because they're circles) get their attack stat multiplied by 3.14 and all Munchlax/Snorlax(Because they eat pie) get their speed multiplied by 3.14. Make it happen.

Other round Pokemon, such as Koffing or gluttonous Pokemon such as Lickilicky could receive a similar boost to their most pointless stat.
  10. Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

This is April's seasonal ladder. Pi day was five days ago.

That was a horrible oversight in this month's though :(
  11. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Add Gloom and probably Garbodor to list of Stoned Pokemon

I look forward to this Seasonal. What's Missingno's movepool and abilities anyway?
  12. Joim

Aw, we missed Pi day :(
    Missingno has Prankster, Stored Power and 7 status moves :p It's pretty weak, though. Dies easily.
  13. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

Does it have a specific set of base stats, or is it randomized?
  14. JoshuaMunoz

JoshuaMunoz

Why not add Hypno as a troll Pokemon? it seems to act like one fooling stuff with its hypnotic device.
  15. Joim

You can see them with /data missingno in PS :)

Troll Pokémon as in troll sets such as SubDisable, that's what I didn't add Hypno <.<
  16. Hollywood

Hollywood 12/10 personality
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

Yeah, I played someone yesterday in Joim's Lab without having read the thread. Basically, my response to playing unaware of the changes is summed up in one emote:
    >_>

It was really fun though. My favorite moment was
    They see me driving
    Round town with the girl I love
    And I'm like haikou

Also, I tried to Ice Beam a Victreebel, and the type was changed twice to something NVE. So I decided to click Scald, and it changed to a type that was SE. loled.

Really well done Joim. :>
  17. TheMantyke

TheMantyke Larvitard
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

18. Manitary

Manitary

This ladder is totally awesome, and new sprites just fit perfectly with it! It's amazing how many twist can happen with type-changing moves (a Missingno. was 4 times in a row immune to Sludge Bomb x.x)

Unfortunately I saved only two replays and one is broken lol here's the other

edit: here are some more, in the last I failed hard not saccing whimsicott and the type change to shadow ball didn't help either :C
    (subdisable gengar/haunter is amazing in this meta!)
  19. Magolor

Magolor

It's actually a lot of fun. I love all the beautiful poetry that goes with it. Complements the trolling/hax quite well

Also this quote:

"The foe's Tornadus said, "Yo mama so dumb, she thought Sylveon would be Light Type!"

Best damn taunt ever.

EDIT: Oh yeah, taunt was changed for all of PS. Forgot about that.
  20. Arcticblast

Magolor, that's not actually part of Fool's Festival (although it might be in there too) - the sprites aren't the only thing different about Pokemon Showdown today!
  21. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto

This is by far the best seasonal ladder and the most fun. Thanks a lot
  22. Joim

We are going to keep April's Fools' day's Taunt messages and sprites for this Seasonal :)
  23. TailsTheeFox

TailsTheeFox

This tier is a great amount of fun, so completely random and insane... Missingno. can mess you up, Cradily just about walls everything in the tier and you can stockpile/curse forever. Infact, any boosting move is great here. Many people, including myself, are very reluctant to switch out their current pokemon.... Type changing moves happen so often you're sometimes better off just NOT using the normaly super effective move..... XD
  24. Laga

Laga Drinking is borrowing happiness from tomorrow
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

This metagame is genious. But what it needs badly is... Spril fools sprites back :L Just for this tier, that would be awesome!!
  25. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

how could you miss scrafty with stoned pokemon?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)