1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Seattle Warstory

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by skarm, May 1, 2005.

1. skarm

skarm I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The Journey to Seattle...

On Friday the 29th I woke up at 6:30 AM, and then proceeded to drive to my friend's house (Caleb for future reference). We got to the Saskatoon airport at about 7:30. We quickly noticed it was nearly entirely empty because hey, I guess no one lives here. We waited around for an hour and 15 minutes and then boarded a mini jet bound for Calgary.

We arrived in Calgary and proceeded through the terminals towards the Alaska Airlines check-in area, which surprisingly is a big north-west American airline company, but there was an unexpected event. We were promptly surrounded by a class of Japanese school girls wearing their uniforms.

After fighting them off we, for some reason, had to go through American Customs before boarding the plane bound for Seattle. Please note that American Customs agents are the most prying bastards ever. Here is a chat log (lol chat log irl).

customs agent: Where are you headed in the U.S.?
    me:: Seattle.
    customs agent: Why?
    me: I won a free trip there.
    customs agent: Through who?
    me: Nintendo. It's a tournament.
    customs agent: What game?
    me: *sigh* Pokemon.
    *silence*
    customs agent: Ok go on through.

Anyways after that we waited for an hour and a half before we could board the flight from Calgary to Seattle. It took an hour and a half before we landed in Seattle which was, surprise surprise, getting a good dose of rain.

We walked for quite a while to the Ground Transport section of Tacoma airport to find out about the shuttle that was supposedly waiting to pick us up. Upon just starting to explain what we needed to the person working there, she promptly nodded and said "With Nintendo, over there" and then proceeded to give some long ass complicated directions that Caleb and I didn't listen to. Eventually we made it to the right area and were picked up promptly by an elderly gentlemen in a shuttle bus. We had to wait for another two people from the contest, so in the mean time we talked about Canadian money. Yes, I am serious.

The first shock of the entire trip came right now. The shuttle driver went outside and said "Ah, there's Oscar and 'oscar's wife which has a name I don't know'" (they're going to be referred to as "the 30 year old black couple" from now on."

Imagine the scene. It's a Pokemon tournament and you see a 30 year old black guy and his wife coming.

Yeah I said "what the fuck" too. As it turns out they weren't playing. They won the "win a trip to watch the finals in Seattle" random drawing contest, but they didn't know anything about Pokemon at all. They were from Houston, Texas if anyone cares.

Anyways as we were being shuttled to the hotel from the airport I had to ask the driver the obvious question of "Does it rain like this all the time here?". Actually he said no, and that this was the first bit of rain they've had in a while. He also went on to mention that they were starting to conserve water because there might be a drought soon. I resisted asking him if it was because Groudon was around. All the grass was perfectly green and moist, as were all the other plants. Yeah, drought. Ok buddy. Whatever you say.

We arrived at the hotel at 2:00 PM, PST, which was the Hampton Inn. It was around a 5 minute walk from the Space Needle and a really bad amusement park. There are some good stories about the amusement park coming later.

After getting our hotel room we realized that we had 5 hours to kill before Nintendo's amazing "Meet and Greet" which was to be held at 7 PM. Caleb and I decided to walk around and get some pictures of the Space Needle and surrounding area. We also noticed that every single car in Seattle is like brand new. No I am not shitting you. Until our "spot the bad car" contest later the next day at the top of the Space Needle with telescopes we didn't see one. Beside the Space Needle there was this really shitty amusement park with a lot of kids rides, but there was also a "Family Fun Center" Arcade. We had to go in there. It sucked, but Caleb set the high score on this arm wrestling game. Go Canada. After a few hours of wandering around Seattle, we decided to head back and decide to get something to eat before the Meet and Greet.

Meet the other Competitors before and after the Meet and Greet

As we headed back to the hotel, we got back just in time to see the same shuttle van pull up and drop off 3 other groups of competitors. In all honesty I wish I could tell you what the other two groups were, but this one set from Rhode Island stole the show for the current moment.

"No way." was what I was thinking when this guy stepped out of the shuttle. He was wearing a homemade Mudkip hat (I don't mean a picture of mudkip on a hat, either). His pants were up impossibly high and there was a decent gap between the bottom of his pant legs to his shoes. I never learned this idiots name, so he will be referred to as "Mudkip guy".

His picture is here (on the right of course, on the left is one of the cool guys I met getting a picture of mudkip guy to insult him later):

[​IMG]

He's also 20 and studying to be a Civil Engineer at Rhode Island College. He arrived with a girl, who was actually the one playing, named Christa. Obviously she was the only female competitor. She pissed me off because in a fun battle later on she owned my Groudon with a 70 power HP Grass Jolteon.

As we tried to stop ourselves from laughing in his face as we past him to go up to our room, we wondered just how pathetic all these competitors were going to be.

At around 6:55 PM we headed down to the conference room in the hotel where the Meet and Greet was going to be held. There was a crowd right outside the door to the room, and it was apparent that I was going to laugh so Caleb and I ducked around the hall corner and contemplated what we had seen.

There was the Mudkip guy, and Christa, who was wearing a Totodile body suit. There was a bunch of asian guys holding giant stuffed Pikachu and Cyndaquil dolls and then huge people like Chris Darling. I figured this wasn't a good sign to come.

At 7 PM we were let into the room which had some refreshments and such and goody bags. Here's exactly what the competitors got in their gift bags:

• Pokemon the Movie 7: Destiny Deoxys DVD
    • Official Nintendo Pokemon Emerald strategy guide
    • Nintendo Power's issue dealing with the Battle Frontier
    • 3 Pokemon Emerald Bookmarks
    • Rayquaza action figure
    • Japanese Noctowl mini action figure
    • Both ExEmerald Starter sets (TCG Newest Version)
    • 4 Expansion Packs for ExEmerald
    • Power Bar (the energy bar)
    • Pokemon School folder, which contained the schedule for the weekend

We also recieved a Pokemon Emerald Battle Brain Frontier contest official t-shirt, which had our region displayed on the back and that horrible Rayquaza picture on the front. These are the Emerald green t-shirts you see all the competitors wearing in the Space Needle pictures.

Anyways, some of the NOA guys pop in Destiny Deoxys into the DVD player they have set up and just leave us sitting there for a while. This is, however, the first time I get to check out all the other competitors. I'll just list all the important ones.

Travis Standiford "TTS MO UMBREON" in Tactics Frontier
    Stephen Parrish "SP MO CROBAT" in Tactics Frontier

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Travis is the guy that isn't Pichu and Stephen is the guy taking proof that there are insane pokemon players.

These two were the reason this weekend was actually awesome. They're best friends and both won the trip. They know a lot about Pokemon and were good battlers. They also refused to use legendaries, but had to battle each other in round 1. Stephen won with a lot of luck in that battle, and he made it to round 3 where he had to play me. I gave them the links to smogon and Netbattle, so they'll show up around here sometime soon.

They are also sarcastic bastards like the rest of us, and the whole weekend is basically us making fun of nearly everything. They shot this AMAZING video of random funny shit and the semis/finals of the tournament which they'll upload and send to me when they get home. This video is a fucking must see. You guys made the weekend awesome. :oops:

"Shakka Khan" "CH MI BLASTOISE" in Spirits Frontier

[​IMG]
    The little guy on the left.

He was pretty cool and kept arguing with the NOA reps to disallow Ubers right before the tournament started. Failing that, he tried to get everyone else to agree not to use them. Too bad it didn't work. He hung out with Caleb, Travis, Stephen and I after the tournament ended. I honestly don't remember your real name, sorry. Shakka Khan was Stephen's nickname for him.

Randy Kwa and the Asian Brigade "RK BC HERACROSS" in Ability Frontier

[​IMG]
    The guy on the right this time.

This is the other Canadian and the guy I had to play in round 1. Since they lived like an hour away from Seattle, he, his two brothers, and like 4 other people including his parents drove there instead. They all followed him around and cheered for him. One of the brothers also entered the contest and made it to round 2, but was eliminated. The same brother who got eliminated wore a Professor Oak labcoat with a sign taped to the back of it with "Team Rocket Elite - www.pokefor.tk" written. I figured that these people knew what they were doing with the pokefor.tk reference. They acted like real arrogant jerks until after I beat Randy in round 1. Figures. "Professor Oak" gave me an Eon ticket later on. Too bad I don't have an E-Reader. They were actually quite cool later on after the competition though.

When I get the video you'll notice that Travis and Stephen make a bunch of comments against these guys earlier on, but that was before we realized they hated Chris. Randy was probably the most "metagame smart" of any of the opponents I faced. They also knew about NetBattle, but I never asked what names they used on it. Either way he said he'd email me later so I'll ask then. Oh, they're also the ones with the Pikachu and Cyndaquil dolls.

Matt Gibson "MG GA CHARIZARD" in Brave Frontier

Picture not available until I get my film developed or I get the video.

We didn't really talk to Matt until after the final dinner on the final day, but he was pretty cool afterwards. He joined us for the SSBM tournament on Saturday night and came out to McDonalds with us because that same dinner didn't really have food you'd call edible. He used a shiny Wobbuffet in the tournament which he refused to trade me when I offered him anything on my team. Bleh. This guy unfortunately was Chris Darling's first luck based win.

Christa Salvatore "CS RI TOTODILE" in Guts Frontier

[​IMG]
    Second from the left.

Only female competitor. Surprising, isn't it? Either way she's dating the mudkip guy and likes to wear homemade Totodile costumes. Enough said. Wait, she's 21. Now that's enough said. Wait, no. She also shows no emotion at all until she loses in the Semi-Finals against Chris and then goes into over drama mode. Ok, ok, I'm done now.

Mudkip guy "I'm breeding with Totodile" in The Hotel

[​IMG]
    I love this picture.

Guy on the right. I've said enough about him already, but he's pretty important.

Chris Darling "Hey I'm a shitty player and an alternate so I didn't even qualify for Seattle" NOT in Weight Watchers Frontier

[​IMG]
    Our Frontier Battle Brain Champion.

This guy sucks very badly, but is an extremely lucky person. Why is it all fat people named Chris that live in Florida get lucky in Pokemon? When asked why he won in round 1, he answered "Mewtwo" and smiled happily.

Phew. That's over with now, so I'm going to continue explaining the Meet and Greet.

Basically we all got our gift bags and began watching the movie. After a while, Jaime, who basically organized the entire contestant side of the event (travel arrangements etc) came up and gave us our Frontier specific t-shirts. The Asian Brigade glared me down when they realized I was the other guy from Canada and in Ability Frontier. Apparently they already knew ahead of time that our Round 1 matches would be against the other person in their frontier.

After that, a NOA Rep named Seth came out. This guy was pretty cool, and was hardcore against allowing Ubers into the tournament, but was overruled. Too bad. He went over the rules and then announced that we'd be battling the other person in our frontier in round 1. This is why Professor Oak was giving me the evil eye, apparently. This also sucked because it meant that Travis and Stephen had to battle each other in round 1. Seeing as Travis, Stephen, Randy and myself were the only "exceptional" people there playing and two of us had to be eliminated in round 1, it sucked quite a bit.

Seth asked if we had any questions. Professor Oak, apparently Randy's older brother and aide, asked if Japanese Lugia would be allowed. I nearly shit myself. A group of hardcore Pokemon playing Asians asking that? I thought for sure they'd have one to use against me in round 1, but thankfully they didn't. It was a pretty clever bluff.

I asked why Jirachi and Deoxys weren't allowed, seeing as they are legally obtainable in the U.S. (the answer to the Lugia question was yes). Apparently it was to keep the Mew-Celebi series completely banned. Yeah I don't get it either.

After this, Kevin, the guy Travis and Stephen brought with them, began to battle Christa. Stephen made a comment about not ever having luck in Pokemon, which caused Professor Oak (I think his real name was Jason Kwa, but this is just easier. Travis actually says this on the video so I didn't come up with it.) to laugh like an ass and start whispering to Randy. This is what caused Travis and Stephen to hate them beforehand.

After the Meet and Greet, Travis and Stephen invited people to their room for some fun battles beforehand. I went anyways to scout teams, but couldn't battle anyone because I only had the 6 level 100s that I planned to use the next day. Either way, Stephen and Kevin played a 2v2 against Shakka Khan and some other guy that swore he wouldn't use legendaries, but did anyways. Stephen and Kevin pulled ahead easily with a Togetic/Ninjask Follow Me/Stat up combo, but eventually lost to dual Kyogres later on in the battle. Meanwhile Travis and I were talking about Pokemon. Yeah I bet you were surprised to hear that. Anyways we both realized we knew what we were talking about etc etc. Later on, Travis, Stephen, Kevin, Caleb and I went down to the Conference room and played SSBM for 2 hours.

After that we went back up the room and uh... I can't actually remember what we did, so there's a missing hour or so there. Anyways Caleb and I watched some Ronco Knife informercial before going to bed at 1:30 AM.

Up to the Space Needle and the Battle Brain Championships

We woke up at around 7:30 AM, because we had to eat and stuff before the Vans came to take us to the Space Needle. They left at 8:45. Yes, they drove us to the building that was a 5 minute walk away. When we got to the parking lot we were greeted by a giant Torchic :). In one of the better moments in the weekend Travis ran up intending to high-five the Torchic, then stopped a second away while the guy in the costume just stood there stunned. For those of you idiots who don't get it, Torchic has no arms. The thirty year old black woman got her picture taken with it, but was shocked when she was told it wasn't a robot.

Soon after we were greeted by a Treecko as well. Kevin gave it a caring hug, then groped its ass as he left. This was made better when we realized that it was like a 14 year old girl wearing the suit later on in the day.

We then packed into the elevator which took us up halfway on the Space Needle (yeah Nintendo you lied, you said it was at the top), where we met a pretty cool decorated room. It has some sort of generic Pokemon music playing over and over to get us in the mood etc etc. There were 4 smaller, though still nice and large flat screen TVs, hooked up in one corner of the room for the first two rounds of competition, then a stage with multiple huge flat screen TVs hooked up for the semi-finals and the final itself. There was also a table set up for the ExEmerald trading card game. I thought to myself "oh darn I should have brought those decks they gave me!". Ok, no I didn't. That station was like never used. The 12 year old kids they hired to teach people the game had nothing to do all day.

Pichu and Pikachu greeted us in this room and all the competitors were told to take off all their jackets etc so they'd be fully showing off their official contest shirts and then to go get pictures taken with the two electric types. I swear, that Pichu guy must have been like 9 or 10 to fit in that costume. Maybe Nintendo employs midgets, though. The photoshoot was quite good once Stephen stepped up between Pichu and Pikachu and began to pose in some more... erotic poses. Those are all caught on the video tape of the century.

We then had to register our teams with the Judges so that they could tell if we tried to swap our Pokemon for others mid tournament. The whole "checking for Gameshark" thing was stupid. It was just them looking at your 6 Pokemon and seeing if the stats were legit. Hurrah. *cough* 447 Spec Attack Mewtwo you were using, Chris.

We mingled with a bunch of NOA reps and stuff for like half an hour while getting interviewed by Andy from the official NSider forums, a writer from Nintendo Power (we're all going to be in it on May 20th, buy it.)

After that we were called to the main stage area where they introduced all the competitors. The MC they got was some old television anchor that we "should have recognized". Yeah, none of us had a clue who this dickwad was. He spent the whole time reading everything directly off of a clipboard.

It was here that it was announced that one of the competitors from the Luck Frontier had forfieted, so we were down to 13 people and one of the round 1 losers would recieve a second chance. The choice of who this was would be based on the Judges decision of which loser had the best constructed team. They actually chose right, though.

It was finally time to battle round 1. Ability, Knowledge, Tactics and Spirits Frontiers had to battle first seeing as there were only 4 stations set up. I went up to battle Randy on station #1, and his brother immediately ran forward with a video camera and asked if he could video tape the whole battle. He was told yes. Anyways, I had never used Colosseum before so I fucked up on the set up a bit and it took a while. Finally I was guided through it and it was time to begin.

Round 1: Randy Kwa (Ability Frontier)

He chose: Wobbuffet, Kyogre, Metagross
    I chose: Groudon, Shedinja, Exeggutor

When I first saw his team of 6 I was worried because hell, it was a good and standard uber metagame team containing Shedinja and such. He first sent out "IHaveFury!" the Wobbuffet while I sent out Monsanto the Groudon to start things off.

I Swords Danced in case he was planning on Countering turn 1, but he used Encore like he should have done. I wasn't worried though. On turn 2 he swapped out Wobby for Kyogre as my Encore continued. I quickly swapped in Shedinja to avoid the incoming Water Spout as I prayed he didn't have something stupid like Ancient Power, or worse, HP Dark.

I Protected to make sure as he brought in Metagross. This was actually a good choice on his part, because it made me switch to Groudon, though I found out later he didn't have Shadow Ball. On the turn I brought in Groudon he Agilitied. I expected Explosion, but instead he Meteor Mashed and I Earthquaked for the KO. He had expected me to Swords Dance.

Kyogre came back and I was quickly mashing the "switch to Shedinja" option on my GBA SP. However, he immediately switched out Kyogre for Wobbuffet. Shedinja was faster, and I got off a Toxic as Wobby Destiny Bonded. Randy admitted he had nothing to kill Shedinja except Destiny Bond on Wobby because he didn't expect me to use Shedinja.

After a few rounds of me using Confuse Ray on Wobby continually he switched out so the Toxic damage wasn't so bad.

I honestly don't remember what happened, but I somehow remember getting my Groudon out against his Kyogre with a Swords Dance and leaving it in while Drizzle was on to see who was faster. He was, so I brought in Shedinja and won. Could have been 3-0, but I wanted to see. He had quite a fast Kyogre.

And the other battles...

As everyone kept saying, to the annoyance of Travis and Stephen, Tactics had a "Friend Battle" going on. Stephen's Crobat destroyed Travis, because of the 6 confusion self hits in a row.

Since there was a forfiet going on in Luck, the one person got a bye into the next round. Thus, only Brave and Guts frontiers had to battle. Matt used his shiny Wobby against Chris' Mewtwo. Chris kept using Psychic against Wobby while it kept Mirror Coating. Yeah I don't get it. I'm not sure exactly how Matt lost, but I assume it was just Chris whoring Ubers again and mashing random attacks.

In Guts it was even more interesting. Christa lead off with a Rayquaza named "KITTY" and continued on to sweep the other idiot without even switching it out. The other guy used Mind Reader against Rayquaza with Articuno. I mean come on. After that all the NOA Reps were like "Oh my Christa is amazing. What does it take to tame your Kitty?". When I went up to the area again for the "Round 1 Winners come up" thing, the NOA Reps were talking about how she was the one to watch out for. Actually the Rayquaza sucked and so did she, but let's not go into that. Though to be fair I'd rather her have won than Chris because she did know the importance of getting Hidden Power on Jolteon and made a very good tank Vaporeon.

Round 2: Knowledge Frontier East Indian Guy

He chose: Mewtwo, Groudon and Kygore
    I chose: Groudon, Exeggutor and Blissey

This was a pretty easy battle. He obviously only got by round 1 by just massing Ubers, but to be fair his Mewtwo was very creative. I give him props for that.

I lead off with Groudon again while he lead with Mewtwo, which was nicknamed "EXPERIENCE". I immediately swapped to Blissey, thankful I had taken it over Shedinja because this was going to be a really odd battle.

On the switch in, his Toxic missed. I Thunder Waved the second turn while he succeeded in getting his Toxic on me. I Seismic Tossed while he hit me with Taunt. Now, let me tell you. If he hadn't shown me his hand right there and kept that to right before I needed to Softboiled or Aromatherapy, he would have killed the Blissey. Instead he tipped his secret and I was able to deal with it. After a while of Taunts, Psychics, Recovers, Softboileds, Seismic Tosses and Aromatherapys he finally got FP'd with under 100 HP. I Seismic Tossed him for the KO.

He brought out Groudon and I switched in Exeggutor while he Swords Danced. I Sleep Powdered, assuming he'd switch and I was right. Kyogre took the Sleep Powder dead on. While it was snoozing I brought in Groudon. I Swords Danced up and it snoozed on.

Earthquake, OHKO on Kygore
    Earthquake, OHKO on Groudon

Good fucking game. You rock Monsanto :). Those last two KO's actually made the NOA Judge that was watching my battle tell the other NOA guys that they should keep on eye on me. Ok then.

And the other round 2 battles...

Mine was over a lot faster this round (as opposed to last due to the Toxic killing) so I got to see the tail end of some battles. Stephen (Tactics) was playing against the Spirits winner, and had somehow convinced him to not select any Ubers. Stephen's Houndoom/Crobat/Kangashkan combo murdered the Ludicolo/Zapdos/Kangaskhan(?) lineup the Spirits guy had used. 3-0 for Stephen.

Chris had somehow beat the guy from Luck frontier, though I didn't see any of that battle at all and no one talked about it.

Since Randy was the one person selected back in to play in round 2 since his team actually made sense he was sent to play against Christa from Guts. However, it appears that the lower half of the tournament tree really fucking relies on luck since Christa's Tyranitar Crunch spec falled Randy's Snorlax 3 times in a row and ended up taking it down when it should have easily swept. Tough luck, Randy, but trust me I know the feeling.

Intermission.

There was a 15 minute break for some reason or another before we started the semi finals up on the better stage. I would be playing against Stephen (like I said before all the good players were on my side of the tree) while Christa (Guts) would play Chris (Brave) in the other semi-final. It was rather widely acknowledged from even the NOA Reps that the winner of Stephen and my battle would be going to Japan. Apparently it didn't happen that way.

They used this Intermission to make everyone have more photos taken and other random crap. When it was all said and done Stephen and I had to go to the stage and sit in these directors chairs while they announced some more promotion crap about Diamond and Pearl. No new info was given so I'm not going over it. They fixed Mics up to Stephen and I so that we could "comment while we were battling". We both agreed this was a bad idea since the only talking or comments we made while battling were swears and such under our breaths when something went wrong.

This NOA Bigwig guy that knew nothing was going to commentate the semi-finals and finals and started by asking questions like "WHO HERE STARTED PLAYING GAMES ON A NES?". When he asked "WE ALL KNOW WHO THE BEST VIDEO GAME COMPANY IS RIGHT?" Stephen yelled Sega and I yelled Sony, but his was louder so I am not sure the NOA guy heard me. Either way he looked back and then said "Ah I see we have a couple of smartasses here" without losing face.

He then went on to read out our teams for some reason despite the fact the audience could see our teams when we were selecting our three. Anyways it went something like this:

NOA guy: Mike's team consists of Groudon, Shedinja, Mewtwo, Exeggutor and Rayquaza
    me: I do have 6 Pokemon you know.
    NOA guy: Oh right, who is the last?
    me: Blissey.
    NOA guy: Sorry?
    me: Blissey.
    NOA guy: *in confused and lost voice* Uh... Ok... *back to his normal announcing voice* Stephen what is your team made of?
    Stephen: *slowly and clearly* "Pokemon."
    NOA guy: Oh... very nice. Ok let's start this battle!

Little did anyone else know, Stephen and I had a special plan concocted for this battle infront of so many people! Since I was (and had to really since eggy/shedinja/blissey wouldn't make a good fight at all) using legendaries, it was pretty much agreed I was going on. However, our plan was to ask each other for advice during the match and make each turn take the full 20 seconds.

After the second turn the NOA Announcer said "Are these two battling or not?". The plan worked pretty well.

Round 3: Stephen (Tactics)

He chose: Espeon, Crobat and Kangashkhan
    I chose: Groudon, Exeggutor and Blissey

I lead with the faithful Groudon and he sent out Espeon. He used Bite, dropping me to about 65% HP left. It was pretty powerful. Luckily I didn't flinch. I Swords Danced that turn, and he used Bite the second turn as well. Luckily again, no flinch and I EQ'd it for the KO.

He sent out Crobat and Confuse Rayed me, causing me to hit myself and keep myself standing at 30 HP. A Shadow Ball finished me off. Stephen commented that this was probably the only time you'd ever see a Crobat kill a Groudon. Before the 20 seconds were up all the asians were chanting "ROCK SLIDE ROCK SLIDE". Travis makes a lot of fun of them while he's filming this battle.

Exeggutor came out next, and to the surprise of many people went first and Psychic'd the Crobat for an OHKO. That's one thing I taught everyone. Don't forget about Chlorophyll. In the fun battle with Christa later on she asks if I put all speed stats into it to make it out speed Crobat. Yeah, ok, Exeggutor can naturally outspeed Crobat alright.

When I sent out Eggy, the NOA rep began to whisper off stage to another guy going "That's exeggutor, right?". I replied "Yeaaaaah, that's exeggutor alright." in an asshole tone. He deserved it due to him saying that he knew what was going on earlier.

He brought out Kangashkhan and I exploded for the KO and the win. No real surprises there, but he was a good sport about the Groudon thing and wasn't expecting to win.

The other semi-final

Christa and Chris' battle was pretty damn funny. It started off with Christa's Vaporeon against Chris' Groudon.

Groudon used Solarbeam :).

The Vaporeon Ice Beamed and took it under 50% HP. Chris finally decided to use Earthquake, but failed to kill it. Like I said earlier, her Vaporeon was pretty good. Ice Beam killed Groudon while Travis, Stephen and I talked about the fact that Groudon should never lose to a damn Vaporeon.

Then Mewtwo Tbolted the Vaporeon and killed it. Out came Tyranitar. Rayquaza switched into a Crunch, which lowered spec defense. The asian guys all yelled for some reason, but the funny part was Travis and Stephen screaming slightly after, mocking them. No one seemed to notice because hey, there was an excellent Pokemon battle going on!

Rayquaza used EQ, but Tyranitar killed it with Rock Slide on the same turn. Mewtwo came out and Ice Beamed the Ttar to death, and then did the same to Sceptile.

Christa showed the first and only emotion of the entire weekend when she dramatically turned to the side with her arm infront of her eyes, then thrust it up triumphantly as if to show she was still alive. It's barely caught on the video, but you'll need to see it to grasp the entire hilarity of it.

Lunch

The finals were given like a 45 intermission for lunch. There was green lime....onade?, green beans, lots of salad all eaten on green planets with green napkins with green cookies and some green nachos on the side. You know, in case you forgot it was the Emerald competition. The chicken wasn't green though, and I let NOA know I was disappointed.

I ended up eating in the seating area since there weren't even close to enough tables. When I was just finishing the dumbass M.C. guy came by and told me to stick to proteins, not sugar, because sugar would make me drowsy during the final! I wanted to punch him in the face or tell him to fuck off.

After we had finished eating people were having fun battles on the original 4 Colosseum stations. I wanted to battle some of the people I hadn't yet, but the NOA people kept pulling me away for photoshoots since I was a finalist. Goddamn being poke-famous. This is also when they got that horrible picture...

[​IMG]

I specifically told them not to use that one because forced smiling is really bad. Bastards.

Eventually it was time for the finals and a lot of people were telling me that I had basically won the trip and so on, and that I was the heavy favorite to win.

Chris and I went up on the stage again while the M.C. tried to make a joke with me about some Saskatchewan town name, but the joke was on him since I am not pathetic and spend my time studying small town Saskatchewan names. Just Pokemon knowledge to get to Seattle. Yeah.

The (lame) Final

I am just going to copy and paste this from the post I did on the Nintendo Forums since this has taken me hours already:

I started out with Groudon, he brought out Mewtwo.
    I went to Blissey, where he then proceeded to Psychic and Ice Beam me repeatedly for some reason while I paralyzed him and proceeded to Seismic Toss. He began to recover etc etc.

He brought in his Groudon eventually, and I brought in Eggy to take his EQ. I used Sleep Powder, assuming he'd go to Rayquaza to make me charge up for Solarbeam due to Air Lock (why he didn't I don't know why. Oh wait.) Anyways, I slept Groudon, then proceeded to Psychic cause I thought he would switch. He didn't. Anyways, Groudon was down and he brought out Mewtwo again, so I switched back to Blissey. The regular Psychic-Seismic Toss-Softboiled-Recover exchanges going off again so I decided to try and end it.

When he had to recover I brought in Groudon, and with its 31 spec defense IV and having tested it against Mewtwo, I thought there was a pretty good chance I would survive if he wasn't FP'd. I Swords Danced while he Ice Beamed, and I died from 100%. It turns out (as I found out afterwards) it had the absolute max of 447 Special Attack. Oh, but he didn't know that. His brother trained the Mewtwo. Anyways, I still was sitting fine. I brought back Blissey out and the trading continued. Then, I dropped him to 98 HP and he got FP'd. Instead of letting it die, he switched to Rayquaza and took the ST.

He then Hyper Beamed (and he was right I actually didn't expect it - for obvious reasons) and it got a critical hit, which killed me. This is bad luck #1.

I brought in my remaining Eggy and slept Rayquaza as it had to recharge (unfortunately no Chlorophyll under Air Lock ;(). I psychiced, leaving it with ~100 HP - and easy kill for the next turn as it slept on. It woke up though and used Fly. And as the announcer announced that it was a great defensive idea (lol), it hit and I lost. End of story.

The Aftermath

There was pretty much chaos. All around people were pretty much like "how did that guy win?" This includes nearly every competitor and even most NOA reps. Well, I can't beat luck. However, we (TEAM MAGMA) weren't going to take this lying down.

To find out what Team Magma is and what will happen, tune in tomorrow when I write the end because fuck this is long enough already and I want to stop typing now. P.S. part 2 contains the story of "Chris and the Boat-Car idea" and "The Journey to the Fish Market" as well as "Dinner at the Italian Pedophile House".
  2. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

posting before reading because i'm LIKE that
  3. BH

BH

awesome
  4. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

good read i would rate you 5 stars on my itunes :)
  5. Jumpman16

is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

pretty much sums it up here

also Tekky the Exeggutor > Monsanto the Groudon
  6. Luigi101

Luigi101

We still love you Skarm, despite your failure to use a damage calculator correctly.
  7. Sonuis

Sonuis Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Your location for battling was fancy. We were stuck in a Wizards of the Coast store when 2000 was held.

Reminder: eMp sucks.
  8. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Awesome Skarm.. Makes me wish there was something like this in New Zealand..

Have a nice day.
  9. BH

BH

"Oh my Christa is amazing. What does it take to tame your Kitty?"
    lol
    This NOA Bigwig guy that knew nothing was going to commentate the semi-finals and finals and started by asking questions like "WHO HERE STARTED PLAYING GAMES ON A NES?". When he asked "WE ALL KNOW WHO THE BEST VIDEO GAME COMPANY IS RIGHT?" Stephen yelled Sega and I yelled Sony, but his was louder so I am not sure the NOA guy heard me. Either way he looked back and then said "Ah I see we have a couple of smartasses here" without losing face.
    lol
  10. Warthog

Warthog
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

awesome expirence skarm.. you lucky bastard. Even though you lost it seems you had a great time and thats what i wanted to hear.

"Soon after we were greeted by a Treecko as well. Kevin gave it a caring hug, then groped it's ass as he left. This was made better when we realized that it was like a 14 year old girl wearing the suit later on in the day. "

heh that made my day.
  11. Jshadias

Jshadias
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

agree with chaos and luigi101
  12. Jumpman16

lol more about THIS please, ffs

it's not every day you're surrounded by a harem of japanese school girls in uniform

too bad they were like what 8 though huh :(
  13. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

14. BH

BH

you guys are so mean :(
  15. Kaidelong

Kaidelong

You aren't serious on that one right?
  16. Roy

Roy sux
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

rate this a 10 but still cannot believe that you were beat by peter griffin over there
  17. skarm

skarm I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

actually my friend and I went to the EMP and yes it sucks beyond anything.
  18. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

awesome 8)
  19. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

sounds like it was a fun nerdy pokemoning good time
  20. Kaidelong

Kaidelong

Dude! You didn't see the history of guitars exhibit? The interactive displays kinda suck but the historical exhbitions are great.

Also, I found out that the Mudkip dude you met happens to be the user Average from AGNPH forums. The battler in the Totodile costume was his girlfriend and he apparently has... umm... photos of her which he planned to upload.
  21. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

orly

Anyway skarm, you took an unnecessary risk against Mewtwo. And what SpA did you calculate or test Ice Beam at, as you really should've been prepared for worst-case scenario (max SpA that is, not an unavoidable CH). =\ Losing to a guy with a Fly Rayquaza will haunt you for the rest of your poké-life, you realize. 8)

Anyway, good reading and too bad about what happened, not to mention ass gropings, Japanese schoolgirls, and quality PoKéMoN action.
  22. Dweedle

Dweedle
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Chapter 1 took me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions from laughter to tears and all the way up to angrily punching a hole in my wall. I look forward to Chapter 2 and cannot wait to find out what is in store for the nefarious trio of Mike, Travis, and Stephen!
  23. Dragonite

Dragonite

This was great. The most gay thing about this was the Rayquaza waking up after the Sleep Powder on the second turn ._________.; Not to mention Hyper Beam that CHed Bliss.. And that risk was IMO unnecessary.. I think Blissey could've wiped it out easily so you could let the Bliss heal itself, etc.
  24. Bulblax

Bulblax

great log :)
  25. EeveeTrainer

EeveeTrainer

Mewtwo has Pressure so Blissey couldn't just toss it around all day. 3-on-3 battles are infamous for being stupid beyond hell.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)