1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Second Time Around

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by DreamTheater09, Mar 19, 2012.

1. DreamTheater09

DreamTheater09

Hello once again Smogon! I’m back with another OU RMT. With this game, I usually like to figure out a team that I want to work with, and then play with just that team for the next few weeks to see what can be done to make it work better with the current Meta. It’s a challenge to do this since the state of the game seems to be constantly changing. With this current team though, I feel like I’ve found a combination of Pokemon that work really well together. I’ll try to go as in depth as I can about what each Pokemon does for the team, along with possible changes that I’ve thought of but would appreciate opinions on. So, now that I’ve wasted enough of your time, let’s get right to it.

[​IMG]
    Landorus (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Starting the team off is Landorus. When the average player sees it on my team, they assume that I’ll be running the Scarf on it. This makes playing around people easier at times, especially late game if they think I’ve locked myself into a move and then I surprise them by switching. The one thing that I’ve been considered is changing the move set a little bit. Being able to bluff the Scarf sometimes leaves me wishing I had Substitute on this guy so that I could Sub up on a predicted switch and then start to tear holes into my opponent’s team. The Smack Down set has been something I’ve considered, but I don’t know how useful it actually is with everything running around in the Meta right now. Any advice on the Smack Down set would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

After so long of using an offensive set on Rotom, I decided to try out a defensive set. After messing around and finding the set that works for me, I’ve turned Rotom into an amazing Choice Band Scizor counter. Being about to come in on Bullet Punches, take hardly any damage off of them, and then in turn burn either it or something else on the team is fantastic. I have some Special Attack invested because I still want to be able to hit fairly hard with the Hydro Pump. Volt Switch doesn’t do much damage because of the lack of EVs, but the switch advantage is the reason you want to run this move anyway.

[​IMG]
    Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Though it may not seem like it, when I was first making this team, this is the Pokemon I knew for sure that I wanted to run. I loved the idea of Miensho on paper. High Physical Attack, decent Speed, and an ability that makes using Life Orb work better than on most Pokemon… What more could you ask out of a Pokemon? Maybe better defense? Mienshao usually is my lead with the standard Fake Out and U-Turn combo to get the battle going. Hi Jump Kick puts huge dents in any Pokemon that doesn’t resist the move. Though Mienshao doesn’t do everything that I thought it was capable of when first making this team, it still gets the job done.

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Leaf Storm
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Here is another Pokemon that will usually catch people off guard when they first see it. After assuming that Landorus is Choice Scarfed, most people would see this Celebi and assume that it is either the Nasty Plot set or the Leech Seed set. Running the Scarf allows me to revenge kill so many things that switch in predicting certain moves. Leaf Storm is the main STAB move that gets rid of Rotom-W and any Gastrodons that are still running around (Not that I see too much of the latter anymore). Earth Power is mainly for Heatrans that switch in thinking they can score an easy kill. Hidden Power Ice is mainly for Dragon types since I don’t have a whole lot else to counter Dragons. As a filler move, U-Turn allows to keep the advantage on my side. After looking at the team, with a lot of U-Turn and Volt Switch, U-Turn may not be needed on Celebi. As always, I’m open to any suggestions with support.

[​IMG]
    Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

I honestly don’t know how I can stretch Scizor out to the same length of description as the other Pokemon on my team. It is the standard Choice Band set with the same four moves as everyone else. I’ve considered using a Specially Bulky Swords Dance set, but I’ve never been a huge fan of using set up moves. I’ll say again that I’m open to suggestions with this guy, but I can’t honestly think of anything that does the job that Scizor does better than he does. Strong STAB priority move, switch advantage move, and being able to Pursuit trap Psychic and Dark types. Along with it being Steel type, allowing it to resist moves that would otherwise take out other guys on my team.

[​IMG]
    Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

When putting the finishing touches on this team, I realized that with how much switching I do, I’m fairly weak to hazards, and don’t have anyone on my team to set up hazards of my own. Knowing this, I decided that a Magic Bouncer would be a better option for the team. Espeon has been doing an awesome job of this. The added Screen support allows for my team to tank hits that would normally KO them and keep hitting my opponents for as hard as they can. The only problem I have is the lack of recovery on Espeon. With Light Clay, my screens stay longer. However, Espeon always seems to go down after setting the Screens up. Hidden Power Fire allows me to hit Scizors that try to trap me and bring it down to low red health or even OHKO, but this leaves me open to Tyranitar Pursuit trapping me. Though it usually happens with Scizor more so that Tyranitar, it still can be a problem.

So there you have it. This team has been doing really well for me in the past month or so of using it and figuring out all the tricks that it can pull off. Any suggests, comments, criticisms, or praise would be very much appreciated.
  2. DreamTheater09

DreamTheater09

Alright, I'm giving this a bump. 250 views and no one has any input?
  3. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene heavenly ancestral god of the emerging heart of the universe
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Hey, I don't intend on sounding like I'm accusing you of copying, but isn't this just ToF's team with an Espeon over Xatu? If that's so, then the same weaknesses, such as powerful Dragon-type attacks, sun teams in general, and SubDisable Gengar, can be found. I can't really say much else. While these weaknesses aren't too big, and can be solved by careful battling, they can definitely cause you some problems. I'd recommend changing your Landorus to a Scarfed variant and your Celebi to a 3 Attacks variant.

Sets. (open)
    Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power Ice

Celebi @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 216 HP / 196 SAtk / 96 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Earth Power
    - Recover / U-Turn

Good luck with your team. The similarity to ToF's team still troubles me...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)