1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Second VGC Team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by DoctorWho, Mar 30, 2013.

1. DoctorWho

DoctorWho

Hey Smogon, I'm here with my I think second VGC team, and I kind of need help with Items and move sets and stuff, so please do rate! Change Log will be at the bottom, so without further ado, the team!

Darmanitan (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Superpower
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake

Darmanitan is my main physical sweeper. He takes care of those pesky bug types that Alakazam and Zoroark have a hard time with. I'm thinking of changing the move set to a more Sheer Force glitch set(moves with side effects that will be negated) so if anybody has suggestions for that, they would be appreciated.

Alakazam (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Electric]

Alakazam is the next part of my sweeper core. The first three moves are fairly obvious, Covering Dark, Psychic, and Ghost types, and HP Electric is for water types(my team has a small problem with water types). I know everyone will yell at me for having Synchronize, but I can't get Magic Guard at the moment, however, if one of you would be willing to trade me one, that would be appreciated.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Protect
    - Roost
    - Facade
    - Earthquake

Gliscor is my physical wall. When facing opponents who like to fight physically, I can easily sponge hits and go for Facade/E-Quake. Roost and Protect are their for obvious reasons. I'm not sure about Facade, so if you have a different suggestion, please tell me.

Zoroark (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Illusion
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Mild Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - U-turn
    - Focus Blast
    - Dark Pulse

Zoroark is my final sweeper, but I will most definitely be getting a different item. I need a suggestion for that. But as far as it goes, Flamethrower is for the above mentioned problem with bugs, Dark Pulse for powerful STAB, U-Turn for getting a better poke on the field, and Focus Blast for other dark types. I get him to be Gengar, bait the Psychic move, and kill whatever attacked me.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Adamant Nature
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Specially bulky Snorlax to the rescue! My team has horrible base Special Defense(Average is 77) and I really needed this addition. Ice Punch and Earthquake cover a lot of pokemon, and Sleep Talk and Rest for recovery. Thick Fat is the best ability ever.

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Def / 4 HP / 252 SDef
    Impish Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Substitute

Finally, Gengar. He is my main support Pokemon, coupled with Hypnosis and Substitute, can be very annoying for my opponent. Shadow Ball for a kinda weak STAB move, and Focus Blast for pesky Dark types.

Change Log:
  2. hathater

hathater

Hmmm, why does Gengar have 0 speed evs? gengar doesn't really seem very bulky, try amoonguss, it has exceptional bulk, has enough special attack, has spore (100% accuracy sleep move) and rage power can save a few of you pokemon. a TIP, hide zorark behind a alakazam becasue zorark is weak to fighting, and alakazam resists fighting. What is your weather counter? You are to rain, you need a grass or electric move. You have no counters to sun as well. But, you cover sandstorm and hail well.
  3. DoctorWho

DoctorWho

What type of Amonguss would you suggest? Also, I really do need a weather counter, so of you have a suggestion for that as well, I will make the changes
  4. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

Howdy.

I don't want to sound rude, but your team has some serious problems. Over half of your team is composed of frail Pokemon with paper defenses and lackluster resistances. In VGC, it's a lot harder using these kind of Pokemon efficiently thanks to the popularity of moves such as Icy Wind, Thunder Wave, and Trick Room as well as faster, more powerful Pokemon like Swift Swim users. Their speed tends to get crippled early on leaving them easily outran and KOed.

Additionally, I noticed you gave Snorlax and Gliscor the roles of tanking hits for the team for Special and Physical attacks respectively. Giving teams designated walls or tanks for entire sides of the physical / special spectrum doesn't work very well in doubles. Unlike in singles, you don't have the luxury of being hit once; a partner can attack from the opposite attack stat and cripple or KO your wall or tank.

I don't really feel comfortable giving you replacement partners and movesets as I'd end up making the team more my team than your team in the process with the sheer number of changes I'd like to make. Instead, I'd recommend you scrap the team and start over. Build up your knowledge of VGC by taking a look at some common sets and EVs people have used, then take a look at how people have built other successful teams.

Good luck with future teams!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)