Selecting a New Laptop/Device

Hello Smogon! I'm in the market for a new computer. Here's some backstory:
I did quite a bit of research since I found out several months ago that my current laptop (a Toshiba) is short on time. I really wanted a workhorse laptop that could run AutoCAD smoothly; based off this criteria, I determined I wanted a Lenovo Thinkpad Workstation. Recently, however, I got an engineering job that doesn't require me to take my work home; therefore, I don't really need an intensive computer. So now I'm really open to any recreational computer.
There's one currently on my mind. The Surface Pro 3 always seemed like a cool device. It's a tablet that can supposedly replace your laptop. The keyboard looks nice, and the stand is legit too. My primary concern (that it couldn't handle CAD) is eliminated. The only other possible issue would be purchasing an external DVD/CD drive, and other accessories. Would it be more economical just to buy a normal laptop?
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to reading any responses!

SP3, Dell XPS 13 and 13'' MBP are the best notebooks on the market right now. You should definitely try out a SP3 before you buy one though. The type cover can take some getting used to and I'm personally not a big fan of it. The display + aspect ratio are amazing though. The latter two devices are excellent if you want a more traditional laptop.

Avoid all non-ThinkPad Lenovo products.

Thanks for the reply, Faint. I tried out the SP3 at Best Buy, and didn't really care much for it. The Dell XPS 13 does seem like an interesting option, and I will keep it in mind. I don't have any plans to invest in an Apple computer, though.

Portable DVD or even blu ray drives are dirt cheap, don't let it frighten you if a laptop doesn't have it, many of the slimmer ones ditch it for, well, slimness. Surface Pro 3 is ok, probably the better one if you're looking more into a tablet over a laptop that runs Windows, though I dunno what sort of screen size you are looking for.

Here's an update:
While reviewing the Dell XPS 13, I saw the Asus Zenbook UX305fa. It starts at $699, which is great. It's also just 2.6 lb. It appears to run internet and microsoft office fast. The most demanding computer games I play are Minecraft (which appears to run well) and Roller Coaster Tycoon (I can pick up an external drive later). Seems like an economical buy for an ultra book!

Hi there, Heracr055!

I was in your exact same position...except different scenario, in a way. :o For me, I got the HP Spectre x360. I know a lot of people tend to shit on HP products, and understandably so since they haven't been the greatest with laptops in the past, but after some really intense research into this (as in, don't buy laptops with obvious crappy hardware), I've decided it's honestly worth it for a powerful laptop that you want that's portable, as well. The Spectre x360 has basically everything the XPS 13 has for a cheaper price point, anyway, as there's barely any difference between the two (unless you want something smaller, I guess).

Though the UX305FA is definitely not a bad pick at all! I do agree with you that it's definitely one of, if not the most budget-friendly ultrabooks around. Sadly though, I'm not a huge fan of fanless ultraportables (it's why I avoided the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3) in the scenario that I decide to run especially intensive programs in the future.

The Spectre x360 is a fantastic device. I would also recommend that. It was a joint design between HP and Microsoft so the engineering is no slouch.

Avoid the UX305A and all of its trash Core M equivalents (MacBook, Yoga 3 Pro, etc).

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Recently purchased a Spectre x360 (1080p). Battery life isn't quite as great as advertised (but is still good), but otherwise it is an amazing device. I doubted how much I'd used the tablet mode, but it really is convenient when you want to use the device but don't want to use the keyboard. It's really easy to switch between the modes and is very well built.

I ended up going with the Zenbook that I talked about earlier. I'm very excited for it and look forward to providing any feedback or insight about the product.
Thank you all so much for your valuable advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)