1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Self Discipline

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Goodbar, Oct 9, 2008.

1. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

Hey, Bologo. The best way to study mathematics is to devote a ton of time to it. Math is just one of those subjects!

I would start by reading the textbook to supplement what you learn in class. It's actually better to read the textbook BEFORE he does the topic in class so you have a better understanding of it. You need to try to understand the concepts first, then read over the example problems to get a general idea of how to do the problems.

Next... Practice Practice Practice! You should probably practice dozens of problems until you get the hang of it. Seek help on anything you are unsure about during this phase because that is where the crucial learning occurs. Make sure you ask your professor about anything you have trouble with and try to work on it.

Now, this is the step that most people fuck up on. In studying in the previous step, many people get caught with the disease "I studied many problems and still failed." You have to now go back before your quiz / exam, and practice the test taking conditions. That is, pick a few problems you haven't tried and organize them into a test that you think the profossor will give. Then, eliminate all distractions and don't allow yourself to use the book or any help and do the problems. That is the best way to gauge how much you know in any subject. But this is especially efficient in math since it is an objective course.

Hope this helps... If your wondering, I'm a sophomore Civil Engineering student (go me!) so I've had my shares of ups and downs with math (vector calculus kicked my ass!). Keep working at it!
  2. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

Do as many exercises as you can from the book, and don't look at the book or anything else for help while doing it!
  3. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

The previous two posts are exactly correct. Math is just learned through repetition, that's all. Some people have a great ability to retain the information, and they'll pick it up faster than others. Just keep trying problems on the material until you feel comfortable.
  4. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Bologo, try simulating a test environment while doing your homework. Put a star or circle or something beside the questions you weren't sure of. Then when finished, check your answers and pay extra attention to the stuff you didn't know so you can review it.

Do the little mark on your tests too. When you get it back, look over those questions again.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)