Serperior [GP 2/2]

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]

The long-awaited combination of Contrary and Leaf Storm makes Serperior a potent offensive Pokemon in the OU metagame. Serperior combines boosting its Special Attack by two stages with a high Base Power move, avoiding the common dilemma of whether to boost or attack, which is faced by many other Pokemon. As a result, Serperior is a fairly straightforward Pokemon whose function can be quickly described as "spam Leaf Storm." Its base 113 Speed is a major factor in its effectiveness as well, allowing it to use its coverage moves to beat otherwise major threats such as Latios and Mega Pinsir. Aside from its Speed, its stats are all just average, and switching in is a difficult proposition for Serperior, as its subpar defensive stats and poor defensive typing mean it can easily take huge damage just by hitting the field. This also leaves it vulnerable to common revenge killers such as Talonflame. Its base 75 Special Attack is perhaps its biggest downfall, causing it to miss important KOs at any stage of battle. It even takes heavy damage switching in against many bulky Water-types and actually fails to OHKO some of them before a boost, such as Assault Vest Azumarill. Because of this, Serperior must be played very delicately, coming in at just the right time to get a boost off without taking too much prior damage.

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Giga Drain / Substitute / Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Contrary
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With its high Base Power and backed by a Life Orb, Leaf Storm actually hits surprisingly hard, despite Serperior's low base Special Attack. The boost provided by Leaf Storm makes the coverage moves available to Serperior more usable. Dragon Pulse hits Dragon-types such as Latios and Dragonite after Multiscale is broken. It's also good for neutral damage on Pokemon such as Talonflame on the switch. Hidden Power Fire is used mainly for Steel-types, with Ferrothorn and Scizor being hit the hardest by it. After a boost from Leaf Storm, Hidden Power Fire is a clean OHKO on both. The last move is entirely up to preference, as Serperior's actual coverage options are slim. Giga Drain provides a useful Grass-type STAB move that has higher PP as well as the perk of healing off recoil from Life Orb. Substitute allows Serperior to take advantage of the switches it often forces and avoids Sucker Punch from the likes of Bisharp and Toxicroak. Taunt is especially useful against defensive teams, since most rely on Mega Sableye to deflect Taunt users and Serperior can simply outboost and KO it. It also helps wear down checks to Serperior such as Chansey, as it removes their ability to recover. Knock Off is another option in the final slot that can help Serperior wear down the likes of Heatran and Chansey more easily, since both rely heavily on their item to function defensively. Hidden Power Ground can be used instead of Hidden Power Fire if your team requires a lure to Heatran, since after a Leaf Storm boost Hidden Power Ground is a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock. Synthesis is a solid form of recovery that allows Serperior to heal off damage from attacks in order to give it more longevity throughout the match. Lastly, Glare can be used to cripple common switch-ins, such as Talonflame, Tornadus-T, and Mega Charizard Y.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is a mandatory item choice for Serperior on this set. Its Special Attack stat is nothing impressive and Life Orb gives it a boost that it desperately needs to get many important OHKOs after a boost against such Pokemon as Latios. Because Life Orb is the item of choice, 29 HP IVs reduce the damage taken from Life Orb recoil. Timid is absolutely necessary on Serperior because its Speed tier puts it above key threats such as Keldeo, Latios, Latias, Gengar, and Mega Diancie.

Usage Tips
========

Getting in Serperior safely is key, as it is heavily reliant on the boosts provided by Leaf Storm. As such, Serperior should be brought in with a slow U-turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Pass. Serperior is best used as a mid- to late-game sweeper, and in order for it to have the best sweeping capabilities, be sure to weaken or remove its checks before boosting with Leaf Storm. This can be done with the help of Pokemon such as Dugtrio, Earthquake Latios, and Fire Blast Clefable. Be sure to use Leaf Storm wisely, because it can be somewhat easily stalled out by defensive Pokemon due to its low PP.

Team Options
========

Serperior's team support is partially dependent on its chosen coverage move. If Hidden Power Fire is used, partners to lure in or pressure Heatran is important, so the likes of Earthquake Latios, Earthquake Mega Altaria, and Dugtrio pair well. However, if Hidden Power Ground is chosen, Pokemon that can apply pressure to or lure in Steel-types apart from Heatran with coverage moves are necessary teammates, such as Hidden Power Fire Latios, Fire Blast Mega Altaria, Mega Manectric, Clefable with Flamethrower or Fire Blast, and Talonflame. These Pokemon also pair well since they appreciate Heatran being lured in with Hidden Power Ground, as it is a typical check to some of them, mainly Clefable and Talonflame. Other specific checks to Serperior such as Mega Altaria, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y are important to take into account with Serperior's teammates. Mega Altaria can be checked by the likes of Scizor, Gengar, and Victini. In addition, Scizor and Victini provide a slow U-turn to get Serperior in safely, and the latter appreciates Serperior's ability to check Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types. Mega Charizard Y can be handled by teammates such as Mega Manectric, Latias, and Talonflame. Lastly, common Talonflame checks such as Tyranitar, Suicune, and Rotom-W make for solid teammates. From a general standpoint, wallbreakers such as Mega Medicham, Hydreigon, and Azumarill pair well because Serperior functions best as a mid- to late-game cleaner.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Miracle Seed gives a boost in power to Serperior's Grass-type attacks without the recoil from Life Orb. Expert Belt can be used for a similar purpose of getting rid of recoil but for a boost to Serperior's coverage moves. A set with Substitute and Leech Seed can be used to punish Serperior's typical answers in a different manner, but lacks the power and coverage moves to be effective. The combination of a Coba Berry and Hidden Power Rock can be used to bait in and KO Talonflame and Tornadus-T, but is very situational and has little use outside of that.

Checks and Counters
===================

Note that Serperior's checks largely depend on how many boosts it has obtained.

**Heatran**: Heatran 4x resists Serperior's STAB and resists almost all of its coverage moves, only fearing the occasional Hidden Power Ground. Choice Scarf variants outspeed and KO Serperior, but nonetheless all Heatran variants threaten Serperior with a strong Fire-type attack.

**Talonflame**: Talonflame 4x resists Serperior's STAB moves and threatens to OHKO or deal massive damage to Serperior with either of its own STAB moves. Note that offensive variants take a hefty chunk from Life Orb-boosted Dragon Pulse, while specially defensive Talonflame is a much more reliable check to Serperior. However, Talonflame is severely crippled by Glare.

**Mega Charizard Y**: Mega Charizard Y 4x resists Serperior's STAB moves and threatens back with a powerful Fire-type Attack. However, Mega Charizard Y must keep Stealth Rock off the field in order to effectively check Serperior, as a boosted Dragon Pulse OHKOes Mega Charizard Y after Stealth Rock damage.

**Mega Altaria**: Mega Altaria resists Serperior's STAB moves and either resists or is immune to Serperior's coverage moves. Offensive variants have quite a bit of trouble switching in, but bulky Dragon Dance and support sets handle Serperior easily. Mega Altaria can potentially use Serperior as setup fodder depending on how much bulk it has invested and how healthy it is.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn all check at least one variant of Serperior. Mega Venusaur easily sponges up anything Serperior can throw at it and retaliate with a Sludge Bomb. Amoonguss also shrugs off most of Serperior's attacks and can remove Serperior's boosts with Clear Smog. Ferrothorn checks only Hidden Power Ground variants, but is not usually a very reliable check due to Hidden Power Fire being much more common.

**Faster Pokemon and Choice Scarf users**: Faster Pokemon such as Mega Houndoom, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, Tornadus-T, Mega Pidgeot, and Choice Scarf users such as Victini, Kyurem-B, and Diggersby are solid offensive checks to Serperior.

Last edited by a moderator:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so I'll have this written up soon; will work on it after I finish up something else I have to write up.
However, I have a question for qc - would it be ok if someone else did the sub seed set? I honestly don't think its that great of a set in the first place and I've never used it at all.

I wanna add an innovative set for Serperior

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

64Spe with positive nature to ouspeed RL RD Manaphy. Bulky enough to avoid 2hko from Garchomp's Outrage most of the time (it'st just a benchmark anyway since Outrage Chomp isn't that common). My point is it's bulk enough to be a reliable pivot, it doesn't let opponent set up hazzard or remove hazzard (it Taunts Ferrothorn, Bulky Chomp, Mandibuzz, etc.) and still does it job as a solid check to top tier Water types (Manaphy, Slowbro, Azumarill, CroCune, Rotom-W). I used this set in my team and had a lot of success (SpD Talonflame, Starmie and this Serperior make a very nice FWG core). If you don't like Taunt, Glare is a very good alternative option as it let you cripple its checks/counters. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped.

For teammates, I have found that Heatran and Mega Aerodactyl are good teammates for Serperior. Heatran is good for Latis, birdspam, and Mega Altaria, and it can set up stealth rock to make kos easier. Mega Aerodactyl kills bulky grass types such as mega venusaur is a good birdspam check and also checks many fire types such as the zards and talonflame. What serperior does is kills the bulky waters that trouble both like Rotom-wash i just think that those 2 are good for serp

I think Substitute should be slashed in the last slot on the offensive set. I've found that often offensive teams will sac something slower before revenge killing; Sub lets you keep the kill and at the very least push damage on another dude, usually ends up with another KO though. It also helps ease prediction against a frailer team trying to pivot around it with resistances, can save you against Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and might surprise a Protecting Ferro (or non-setup Diancie in a lead matchup). Sort of Greninja-esque. Worth noting that CB Azumarill will almost never KO the Sub with Aqua Jet; Serp investing 12 measly Defense EVs guarantees survival.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I think Substitute should be slashed in the last slot on the offensive set. I've found that often offensive teams will sac something slower before revenge killing; Sub lets you keep the kill and at the very least push damage on another dude, usually ends up with another KO though. It also helps ease prediction against a frailer team trying to pivot around it with resistances, can save you against Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and might surprise a Protecting Ferro (or non-setup Diancie in a lead matchup). Sort of Greninja-esque. Worth noting that CB Azumarill will almost never KO the Sub with Aqua Jet; Serp investing 12 measly Defense EVs guarantees survival.
Good point, sub sounds solid. However, I'm usually against having 4 slashes in one slot since that's kinda messy. Do you think any of the 3 moves there currently arent worth being slashed? I'm leaning towards putting knock off in moves and slashing in sub.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Rather see Knock Off in moves and Substitute slashed tbh. Beating Bisharp with the sub games is kind of huge.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd also like to see a mention of Synthesis on the 1st set. It gives Serperior a lot more longevity, and helps if the opponent has a perfect answer to Serperior like Talonflame or Heatran which it can repeatedly switch to and accumulate chip damage on Serp. Also lets you handle stuff like Chansey lacking Toxic and to some extent Jirachi and Amoonguss better.
I also think Glare is Set Details material as opposed to OO, it's pretty useful for paralyzing Heatran or Talonflame for example if you have something that likes then para'd like CM Clefable and Thundurus respectively. It's also nice for preventing stuff like Altaria or XZard from using Serp as setup fodder (although Taunt does this too, Glare cripples these sweepers permanently). Kinda team-dependent but it's a pretty legitimate option.

Maybe drop a mention of Expet Belt on Serperior, it's not very good but it has an advantage over Miracle Seed in the fact that it hits Grass resists which are hit hard by coverage slightly harder, which is pretty significant since a few Grass resist live by the skin of their teeth if Serp runs Miracle Seed. For example :
252 SpA Miracle Seed Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 33-40 (9.3 - 11.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 276-328 (78.4 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 28-33 (7.9 - 9.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 252 SpA Expert Belt Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 331-394 (94 - 111.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Miracle Seed Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 71-84 (22.2 - 26.3%) -- 9.1% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 206-244 (64.5 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 59-69 (18.4 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
+2 252 SpA Expert Belt Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 247-293 (77.4 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

so higher chance to KO with Leaf Storm+DPulse. (86.7% - 102.7% vs 95.8% - 119.4%)

Also guarantees the KO on specially bulky MScizor if the opponent sacked something for Serp to get to +2 :

+2 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Expert Belt Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 370-437 (107.8 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also if you're going to explain why Chocied Sets are bad, maybe you could also explain why HP Rock is bad. I see it suggested all the time on Serp even though it's terrible, but maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine and it doesn't really need adressing.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Alright, so I have everything written except for the Sub Seed set. Can we please move it to OO? I really dont see its merit over the first set.
Did the above, thanks for input

I'm not so sure if many may find this viable but as an anti-lead

Serperior

· Glare

· Leaf Storm

· HP Fire/HP Ice

· Taunt/Dragon Pulse/ Giga Drain

Timid: 48 HP / 208 SpA /252 Speed
Hold Item: Life Orb

Moveset: Glare makes your life easier. It can paralyze any pokemon in the game and is great for hitting incoming pokemon on the switch. Taunt is preferable as it breaks the set-up, and forces either a switch or into an attacking situation. HP Fire / Ice is to add coverage. As you don’t get stab, it’s best to use it after getting a boost on Contrary STAB Leaf Storm. HP fire will allow you to hit Bug, Ice, Steel and Grass which otherwise walls you, but HP Ice lets you hit Flying, Dragon, Grass and Ground. Your Hidden Power is going to matter based on what other coverages your team already has. Giga Drain gives you decent recovery at the cost of versatility.

Set Details: The EV investment with the appropriate IVS in the proper stats produces a Serperior That brings 303 HP, 237 SpA and 356 maximized Speed which allows it to outrun everyone barring Weavile, Mega Alakazam and Tornadus-T in BL and base 115 Pokemon OU. Timid is an absolute must with this set.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
After a chain of IRC events led me here, I took a glance at this analysis and realized the overview is all about what Serperior is. Good overviews tell the reader what a Pokemon does. They should be function-based rather than data-based.
From the depths of obscurity comes Serperior, a Pokemon gifted with what is essentially a 130 Base Power Nasty Plot in the form of Leaf Storm thanks to its ability: Contrary. We know this. Against offensive builds, its impressive base 113 Speed allows it to outspeed a large part of the metagame, making Serperior a fantastic cleaner. This is more of what an overview should be - function. While defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Mega Sableye will have a hard time keeping up with its constant boosting, this is a good talking point! Serperior's defensive stats are also just bulky enough for it to survive some important attacks, Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack being one of them. ...but this is basically data, not function. With that said, Serperior does suffer from relatively low Special Attack without a boost. This means even Pokemon like Ferrothorn will be able to survive an unboosted Hidden Power Fire. And Leaf Storm's low PP can also make things difficult in longer games. See the last comment. Serperior also relies heavily on teammates to get past its counters, such as Heatran, Mega Altaria, and Talonflame, as it has few options against them. This is important, but we don't know why Serperior relies on counters. Its Special Attack is low but can be boosted easily, which lets it overwhelm many defensive answers. What kind of things do counter it? How? Why?
Now, I don't have much OU knowledge (I don't know much about OU when it isn't SPL season!), but if I were to write Serperior's overview, it would look something like this:
The long-awaited combination of Contrary and Leaf Storm makes Serperior a potent offensive Pokemon in the OU metagame. It avoids the common dilemma of "do I attack or do I boost?" by combining the two options into one - a 130 BP attack that gives it a two-stage boost to its Special Attack. As a result, Serperior is a fairly straightforward Pokemon whose function can be quickly described as "spam Leaf Storm." Its base 113 Speed is a major factor in its effectiveness as well, allowing it to use its coverage moves to beat otherwise major threats such as Latios and Mega Pinsir. Unfortunately, such a berserker has numerous downfalls. Aside from its Speed, its stats are all mediocre. Switching in is a difficult proposition for Serperior, as its 75/95/95 defenses and poor defensive typing mean it can easily take huge damage just by hitting the field. This also leaves it vulnerable to common revenge killers such as Talonflame. Its base 75 Special Attack is perhaps its biggest downfall, causing it to miss important KOs at any stage of battle. It takes heavy damage switching in against many bulky Water-types and actually fails to OHKO some of them before a boost, such as Assault Vest Azumarill. Because of this, Serperior must be played very delicately, coming in at just the right time to get a boost off without taking too much damage. Despite its flaws, its escalating destructive ability makes it a powerful lategame sweeper and a convincing choice for hyper offensive teams.
I'm not claiming this is a "good" overview, but I wrote it to be more about how Serperior works rather than what it is. Its offensive ability is summarized by "spam Leaf Storm" but it's weak always and very frail, so it needs to be played carefully. I didn't mention team support (although really everything needs that) nor did I mention its reliance on Hidden Power making it susceptible to one threat or another.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
After a chain of IRC events led me here, I took a glance at this analysis and realized the overview is all about what Serperior is. Good overviews tell the reader what a Pokemon does. They should be function-based rather than data-based.

Now, I don't have much OU knowledge (I don't know much about OU when it isn't SPL season!), but if I were to write Serperior's overview, it would look something like this:

I'm not claiming this is a "good" overview, but I wrote it to be more about how Serperior works rather than what it is. Its offensive ability is summarized by "spam Leaf Storm" but it's weak always and very frail, so it needs to be played carefully. I didn't mention team support (although really everything needs that) nor did I mention its reliance on Hidden Power making it susceptible to one threat or another.
I'll be honest, I probably should have looked at the overview more when I took this analysis over [I didnt write the original, Halycon did], but I appreciate the input, thanks.
Going to add in what you wrote for the overview with some alternations and update the format.
e: done

Also if someone could please check this that would be great considering that there is nothing on the dex for Serperior, so yeah.

Last edited:
In the IVs section, I think it would be helpful to give the reader some IV spreads where serperior still keeps the necessary IVs to run HP Fire when it uses 29 HP IVs , mainly because PS sets the amount of ivs to 31 by default.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Related to the above, the spread you want for HP Fire is 29 HP, 0 Atk, 30 SpA, 30 Speed, while HP Ground is 29 HP, 0 Atk, 30 SpA, 30 SpD

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'd mention HP Ground somewhere, which works especially nicely alongside Substitute. This allows Serperior to lure in Heatran, which makes a nice partner to Talonflame. Furthermore, Glare should receive a mention someplace - crippling its counters (such as Talonflame / Tornadus-T) switch ins is actually quite nice.

EDIT: psh, that's what i get for not reading it all the way.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I'd mention HP Ground somewhere, which works especially nicely alongside Substitute. This allows Serperior to lure in Heatran, which makes a nice partner to Talonflame. Furthermore, Glare should receive a mention someplace - crippling its counters (such as Talonflame / Tornadus-T) switch ins is actually quite nice.
Hidden Power Ground can be used instead of Hidden Power Fire if your team requires a lure to Heatran, since after a Leaf Storm boost, Hidden Power Ground is a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock.

p2

Banned deucer.
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Giga Drain / Substitute / Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Contrary
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
ivs: 29 HP
If you're going to mention IVs, I think you should mention 0 Atk, 30 SpA and 30 Spe because it's the optimal HP Fire spread and it minimizes Confusion+Foul Play damage, or do most analyses not really bother with that?

Might be a bit gimmicky but I'd maybe mention coba berry + hp rock in OO as it helps lure in talonflame. Also in team options I would definitely add sand more specifically tyranitar + excadrill as excadrill has trouble with mons like landorus-t, skarmory, and rotom-w, which serperior can help weaken so excadrill can muscle past them.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Mention the berry in oo but say it's a bit gimmicky/circumstantial and orb is best. Anyway i think this has been on halt long enough so consider that the final check when added. If AM has anything to add, he can. Please refer to him as Dr. AM. Ty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)