Pokémon Serperior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokedex Number: #497
Type: Grass
Base stats: 75/75/95/75/95/113 [528 BST]
Ability: Overgrow (When this Pokemon has 1/3 or less of its max HP, its Grass attacks do 1.5x damage.)
DW Ability: Contrary ( If this Pokemon has a stat boosted it is lowered instead, and vice versa.)

Serperior has been waiting the entire 5th generation to abuse Leaf Storm with Contrary, but despite the previous demand for it, him actually getting it has gone a little unnoticed due to all the new mons and whatnot. Contrary Serperior is available for use in the Pokebank OU beta and therefore it'll probably be open for free use in December. The current issue with Serperior is that his movepool is almost completely empty of anything, even coverage, meaning that his usability's fate greatly relies on anything he could get from X/Y. Still, Serperior can make good use of himself and defying the new Sticky Web is a huge plus.

Smugleaf 2.0 @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Modest/Timid Nature
252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def

- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare/Aromatherapy

Once again, Serperior's movepool is super crappy; the three attacks listed are pretty much his only options, unless you want weaker Dragon and Grass moves and more Hidden Powers. Leaf Storm should be used first against pretty much anyone that isn't Scizor, because even SE hits won't cut it with an unboosted 75 SpAtk and weak-ish moves; though just one Leaf Storm allows him to double his SpAtk, making him a viable threat. HP Fire gives some well-rounded coverage with Leaf Storm while Dragon Pulse evidently takes care of Dragons and is generally better than HP Fire when your opponent resists Grass. The last spot is a support option depending on what you want or need; Glare is always a good option since T-Wave can't paralyze Ground-types, while Aromatherapy is nice if your team is a bad friend of status conditions.

Other Options
Serperior has a decent Physical movepool with Coil to boost it, and his bulk is pretty solid for a SubSeed set, but considering he already did these things and only peaked at RU, it's evident that they won't work very well in OU, assuming he even gets this high.

Checks and Counters
Like any Pokemon trying to stack boosts, Malamar will laugh himself to sleep if he gets Topsy-Turvy on Serperior. The most common and lethal threat is Talonflame, as Fire/Flying totally shits on any Grass-type, and even if Serperior were to get a boost from Sticky Web, Talonflame has strong priority STAB to OHKO him. Blaziken, being another Fire-type, should have no trouble either if it gets a boost or two. Heatran also resists everything he has.

Personal Opinion
I obviously like Serperior in both design and competitive potential, or else I wouldn't pretend to try and sound smart and see how he could become more viable. Contrary Leaf Storm is very dangerous, but I'm crossing my fingers on him getting at least SOMETHING to add to his movepool this gen. If not, it'll be a real shame. As for how he is now, though, I think he deserves a fighting chance at OU if you eliminate the right counters in time. If not, he'll definitely have a regal position in UU.

Wait, how would somebody get Contrary Superior? Is there a new way to breed hidden powers in gen 6?

Anyway, Dragon Pulse is a gen 5 move tutor for Superior, so there would be no way for it to have Dragon Pulse, add in the nerf to hidden power fire, and I think he misses vital KO's at +2, I think if it had dragon pulse, and if it had a full base 70 power hidden power, it could very easily be OU, but without either of those, its chances become smaller. Oh, and throw in the nerf to Leaf Storm...

Edit: Oh, and run a life orb, without it you miss so many vital KO's at +2 it's not even funny.

Just a slight note on how bad some of the nerfs are for it, 75% chance to OHKO Sub Kyrum-B goes to below 50% chance with the dragon pulse nerf, while physically defensive Skarm now has a 56.25% chance to be OHKO'd before it had no chance to live a +2 HP fire (although, study awyway, so it's not that big of a deal). Thankfully rocks do a great job at removing a lot of these problems, so if you were to use Serperior, make sure rocks are up.

However, of the main choice scarfers from last gen, he still does a great job at being able to take a hit, and proceed to OHKO it at +2, meaning revenge killing him isn't as easy as it seems, his big problems are Heatran and Talonflame, who poop all over him.

Besides the fact that Contrary probably won't be legal once the system is fully cleaned up, Serperior really has no good moves besides STAB Leaf Storm, and Grass isn't really a good type in the OU metagame with all the Steels and Dragons running around. The Hidden Power and Dragon Pulse nerf doesn't help it too much either...

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As great as Glare is, I'd definitely use Substitute over it. A lot of the time opponents will try to cripple Serperior with a Thunder Wave or other status before it can get to +6 and destroy everything, and Serperior's great speed will let it dodge this easily. It can also potentially help protect against Choice Scarfers and Talonflame, although it'll have a bit more difficulty setting one up to deal with those threats. Serperior is a bit too frail to properly use Glare, it would be better off just boosting with Leaf Storm in most cases.

On top of all this, seeing as Dragon Pulse was a BW2 Tutor Move, it can't have both that and Contrary.
So even if Serperior was released with Contrary, it would have to resort to only Hidden Power for coverage. If it only had access to Focus Blast or another good special move.... Looks like Serperior will have to either be a supporter or a (basically) mono-attacker sweeper

If Serperior loses Dragon Pulse and doesn't get any decent coverage move this gen, he's pretty much fucked. Which would be such a shame; 113 Speed and Contrary Leaf Storm would be so damn badass. >.>

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokebank OU's sorta been treating a lot of 'mons the same way the discontinued DW tier treated Pokemon, that is with all abilities released. Like Lightningrod Zapdos clearly isn't out, but Pokebank OU allows it. It's one of them kinda deals. Just to clear up any confusion/speculation. But honestly, you never know what this Gen may be bringing to the table for Serperior. While Game Freak kinda shafted us on giving Pokemon certain Egg Moves they could've killed for (Lol Electrify Raichu), they have given Pokemon like Blastoise moves such as Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse from Clawitzer's line. And with a couple new Grass-types and Grass-type moves this Gen, I wouldn't immediately try to rule out the possibility of Serperior having some new toy to play with somewhere in there. No guarantees, but I'm hoping for that. And what if they make a Mega for it...

But I'm going off-topic here. I feel Leech Seed's a potentially useful move on the last slot, as is Substitute. Sub can at least allow Serperior to set up on a water-type and pretty much become even more dangerous than before with a potential +2 AND a Substitute in your face. Leech Seed can give you a bit of passive recovery and allow you to just spam while the opponent takes further damage or has to switch out.

THAT REMINDS ME LOL
lightningrod zapdos doesn't exist anymore, my AI partner in the battle maison had one and its new shittyshitshit ability is...
tumblr_mvmdbqLiH01rqnw22o1_500.jpg

idk where else i should post this
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Serperior desperately needs dragon pulse to be anything above average. the hidden power nerf isnt helping him either, although i doubt any important OHKOs are lost with the power 'nerf'. Noivern and goodras existence hurts him a lot. Gengars(with sludge bomb/wave) rise to power isnt doing him any favors either. If contrary serp' is ever released he'll be alright but his potential has fallen alot since last gen

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

Serperior
Dex Number: #497
Type: Grass
Base Stats: 75/75/95/75/95/113
Abilities: Overgrow Hidden: Contrary

Notable Moves:
Level up:
Growth
Leech Seed
Coil
Leaf Blade
Giga Drain
Leaf Storm
Gastro Acid
Egg moves:
Glare

Mirror Coat
TM moves:
Calm Mind
Hidden Power

Light Screen
Reflect
Dragon Tail
Swords Dance
Substitute
Taunt

Tutor Moves:

Aqua Tail
Dragon Pulse
Knock Off

Outrage
Synthesis

Overall Analysis
Serperior, ever since it was released as the starter grass final evo, was rather quickly dumped into the depths of NU, seemingly never to rise again, with its subpar offenses, somewhat salvageable defenses and good speed. The main things it could do in NU were set up screens and seed stuff, set up coils and attempt to be bulky, or go on the offensive with calm mind+life orb shenanigans.
However, it was announced that serperior was to get the amazing hidden ability contrary, which reverses any stat changes this pokemon experiences. As soon as this was announced, players set their eyes on one move: LEAF STORM. This amazingly powerful 140 bp move (now 130) was not only STAB and hit decently hard, it DOUBLED serperior's special attack after the first use. From there, it was +4, and +6, and before long, serperior would be a gigantic threat to contend with.
Of course, Troll Freak does what it does best, and they never actually released contrary serperior in gen 5, along with a couple of other hidden abilities people were waiting for, like shadow tag chandelure. However, in gen 6, contrary serperior is perfectly legal, and even though our awaited ability was born into a much harsher world, contrary serperior will still prove to be a huge threat.
With its solid 113 base speed and a STAB 130bp boosting move, XY will grant the wish of our little green snake and make it something to watch out for.

Potential Sets

Life Orb

Serperior@Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 sp. att/252 spe/4 sp. def
-Leaf Storm
-Hp Fire/Rock/Ice
-Dragon Pulse
-Giga Drain/Taunt

This set aims to outspeed common pokemon in the tier and attempt to damage the opponents team by throwing around leaf storms. It works sort of like a celebi, but with better speed and not having to waste a move slot for nasty plot, its much more of a threat. Celebi has its merits though, it baton pass the nasty plot boost to someone else. There are 2 things that make serperior shine with this set: Talonflame are everywhere in the new OU metagame, and its no surprise to see why. Thus, Rotom-W has come out as the premier check to talonflame and whatever it wants to do. Rotom-W has the most trouble with grass types, and is basically set up fodder for this serperior. Unless your opponent predicts your serperior switch in and volt-switches, this thing is a really nice check to Rotom-W. The switch in, commonly a steel type like aegislash, skarmory, or mawile, can take the leaf storm, but die the +2 Hp fire (which is more or less the hidden power you should be running) Dragon Pulse is there as the strongest coverage move you have, and helps out with AV Goodra.
The second reason serperior is pretty cool is that it doesn't have a dark/ghost weakness. All the common grass types of this tier suffer from this (celebi, trevenant, gourgeist), but serperior doesn't have to worry about this at all.
Giga Drain is there to give you some health back, as when you switch into rotom-w and take a will-o-wisp (happens often), you will be losing health quickly with life orb. Giga Drain is just there to keep your health at a respectable amount.
4 evs in sp. def just there to ensure incoming genesect get the attack boost instead
Taunt is a decent option if you want to break through chansey/blissey/gliscor easier.
It's also worth noting that 113 speed sets serperior in a good speed tier, just 1 point above mega lucario, and with 113, you're outspeeding a good portion of the mega evolutions as well.

Choice

Serperior@Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Evs: 252 sp. att/252 Spe/ 4 Sp. def
-Leaf Storm
-Hp Fire
-Dragon Pulse
-Giga Drain/Filler

This set isn't too different from the life orb one, but works a little differently. The crux of the scarf set is (you guessed it!) leaf storm, and the general idea is to work like a moxie salamence, but boosting leaf storm's instead of say, outrages. Honestly, you don't even need these 3 other moveslots for this serperior to do what it needs to do, but for formality's sake, lets include them. With a timid scarf serperior, you're cleanly out speeding the entire unboosted metagame. It's worth noting that if your opponent doesn't catch on, this thing is pretty great bait for genesect with HP fire.
The specs set, however, is completely different, functioning as a wallbreaker capable of breaking through chanseys, blisseys, gliscors, jellicents, and rotom-wash's alike. A specs leaf storm will hurt, but this thing will be even stronger, instead of becoming set up fodder like common specs dragons w/draco meteor.

Support

Serperior@Leftovers
Ability: Contrary/Overgrow
Evs: 252 HP/252 Spe/4 Sp. def
-Light Screen/Substitute
-Reflect/Leech Seed
-Dragon Tail/Giga Drain
-Taunt/Knock Off/Glare/Gastro Acid

The calm green snake, despite having amazing offensive potential with contrary, has an outstanding support movepool. The main things serperior can do with this is set up screens or go subseed. Admittedly, there are much better subseeders and dual screeners in the OU tier, but serperior does even more than that. It boasts moves like taunt, knock off, glare, and even gastro acid, many of which better subseeders cannot do. It has a combination of very good speed and 95 base defenses, something which standard sub seeders like trevenant and gourgeist do not have. Overall, this thing is outclassed by a lot of other things, but its a mixed bag which can work to your advantage if used properly.

Checks and Counters:
Talonflame. Serperior cannot hold a damn candle to talonflame in anyway possible. Talonflame outspeeds, walls, and promptly kills any serperior, and basically every other grass type out there. Completely walling the life orb and specs sets is difficult simply because of the +2 boost after every leaf storm, but its much easier to outspeed and kill. The scarf set, on the other hand, is easier to wall with things like sap sipper goodra (or any sap sipper pokemon for that matter) and toxicroak, to name a few. Sawsbuck deserves special mention simply because it can come in, get the sap sipper boost, and proceed to smack the switch in with a boosted attack (but sawsbuck loses out on earthquake now that nature power turns into tri attack). Scolipede and Blaziken can come in to revenge kill, but be aware that serperior is still faster while unboosted, so you have to protect to outspeed. Switching directly in may cost you a lot health (and a dead scolipede if hp fire), so play carefully around a boosted serperior.
Several steel types can come in and threaten serperior out with powerful attacks, such as mawile and aegislash, but only on the choiced sets, as the aforementioned pokemon will swiftly be taken out by a +2 hp fire. Mamoswine is a decent check as his ice shard (LO) does a solid 60-70%. Heatran also takes basically everything serperior has to offer, a complete stop. Can proceed to Fire Blast if offensive or Roar if defensive. Mega Venusaur takes less than 30% even from +2 HP fire, and dragon pulse won't be doing much more. It can then proceed to sludge bomb and kill.

Other Options
Serperior can attempt to go physical with swords dance and coil, but the coil set is outclassed by zygarde, who has extremespeed, and there are about 20 different swords dancers that could get more accomplished than serperior. Remember, you're working off of a 75 base attack stat that you can't boost simply by spamming a STAB move. As far as physical options go, it gets seed bomb, outrage, pursuit, iron tail, and aqua tail, but really, don't go physical with serperior. Please.
On another note, you could attempt to go a sun sweeper as serperior has synthesis, growth, and leaf storm, but why you'd be using this over venusaur, I don't know.
In doubles, you can use grass pledge with water pledge to create a marsh that lowers the opposing team's speed to 1/2. All the pledge moves also got boosted to 80 bp instead of 50, so there's that. Why you'd bother using this over tailwind or sticky web, I don't know, but it deserves a mention.
Teammates
Talonflame gets a special mention as serperior gets rid of rotom-w and basically every other bulky water stopping our little phoenix. To summarize, if your sweeper wants a bulky water gone, serperior is a good option. Serperior itself, however, needs things like scolipede, talonflame, and blaziken gone to survive, so a bulky water, like rotom-w (He's a big part of the metagame huh) is appreciated to take on these threats. A powerful ground type, like garchomp, can benefit from dead rotom-washes, and in return, garchomp can kill heatrans and other steel types serperior cannot get through.

Conclusion/Personal Opinion

This thing is underwhelming at first, but if you let it set up, I believe it can sweep teams very nicely. A +2 boost every time you use STAB leaf storm, the strongest viable grass type move, is no joke. A lot of pokemon get stopped by bulky waters like tentacruel (azumarill), rotom-w (talonflame), and Gyrados (misc.), and serperior is in my opinion the best offensive grass type pokemon to clear them out (other than shaymin-s, but he's ubers). A combination of 113 base speed, which outspeeds a good portion of megas, solid 75/95/95 defenses, and a tier teeming with rotom-washes at every damn corner, serperior will find a solid throne in OU like he should've in 5th gen.

Last edited:
Cool thread, bro. Serperior is my favorite mon and I'm happy its HA is Contrary.

However, Contrary Serperior is currently unreleased. So, I feel that this analysis is a bit... hasty. We could get a metagame just like BW/BW2 where Contrary is never released.

If contrary were released, then I think this guy'd make a decent mid tier choice user, but I still don't think he's OU viable. Even NU with its plethora of fire types makes me question his use. All this is assuming contrary is released, but if it is, I think he'll get a spot in RU with some UU (where Talonflame and a lot of other counters will surely be banned) for the reasons listed above.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Cool thread, bro. Serperior is my favorite mon and I'm happy its HA is Contrary.

However, Contrary Serperior is currently unreleased. So, I feel that this analysis is a bit... hasty. We could get a metagame just like BW/BW2 where Contrary is never released.
That's funny, I'm using a contrary serperior in Pokebank OU and there's no problems... I guess I should've mentioned somewhere this might be post-pokebank exclusive

Fortunately it doesn't need Contrary to run an effective trapping set with improved Wrap.

Serperior@Leftovers
Overgrow
Timid 252 HP / 4 Df / 252 Spd
~ Wrap
~ Glare/Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Protect/Substitute

With Glare you theoretically don't need all that Speed, but its normally safe to have. Wrap and Leech Seed will do 1/4 damage every turn before Leftovers if they have it and Glare and Protect allow for extra free turns of damage and healing. Honestly it's even faster than Jumpluff but he doesn't get Infiltrator.

Fortunately it doesn't need Contrary to run an effective trapping set with improved Wrap.

Serperior@Leftovers
Overgrow
~ Wrap
~ Glare/Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Protect/Substitute

With Glare you theoretically don't need all that Speed, but its normally safe to have. Wrap and Leech Seed will do 1/4 damage every turn before Leftovers if they have it and Glare and Protect allow for extra free turns of damage and healing. Honestly it's even faster than Jumpluff but he doesn't get Infiltrator.
If a Sableye came in on you and Taunted Serperior, he's gone. The Contrary Leaf Storm is more effective and helpful.

If a Sableye came in on you and Taunted Serperior, he's gone. The Contrary Leaf Storm is more effective and helpful.
No set for any mon has no counter. Listing one mon that this doesn't work against means you have to use one of your OTHER 5 slots to handle it. Plenty of pokemon 4x resist Grass. Crobat alone hits through Subs and is faster so can OHKO with Brave Bird. Is your Leaf Storm set suddenly not viable anymore too? Heatran 4x resists, resists Dragon Pule and absorbs HP Fire. Uh OH! Better not use that set!

It's true that I only said one example, but that doesn't preclude the fact that your set is a bit useless. If you go on Showdown and win some battles with your set, send me a message with your replays and you'll have proven that a set like that might actually work.
P.S. Serperior is actually pretty good in 1v1 with a stalling set of Leech Seed, Toxic, and Protect.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/serperior.3491438/
Even though I prefer your OP, there already is a Serperior Thread.
Also, it's likely that dragon pulse + contrary isn't possible, based on claims of the other thread.
I prefer his as well, but at least they merged lol. Sorry, Srn, good analysis you made. :<

Serperior@Leftovers
Overgrow
~ Wrap
~ Glare/Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Protect/Substitute

As interesting as that is, you gotta remember that Serperior was RU at best when he didn't have the option of getting Contrary. He has a surprisingly large amount of options, but I doubt anything other than Contrary will put him in OU. Maybe he can be allowed in the lower tiers with Contrary being banned?
But I'm curious, you said Wrap was improved. How, exactly? (I'm behind xD)

Oh, I also have a partner in the Maison with Contrary Serperior... no Dragon Pulse. But at the same time, the Maison sets are pretty weak, so you never know.

I prefer his as well, but at least they merged lol. Sorry, Srn, good analysis you made. :<

As interesting as that is, you gotta remember that Serperior was RU at best when he didn't have the option of getting Contrary. He has a surprisingly large amount of options, but I doubt anything other than Contrary will put him in OU. Maybe he can be allowed in the lower tiers with Contrary being banned?
But I'm curious, you said Wrap was improved. How, exactly? (I'm behind xD)

Oh, I also have a partner in the Maison with Contrary Serperior... no Dragon Pulse. But at the same time, the Maison sets are pretty weak, so you never know.
Wrap and other trap moves got a passive damage buff and deal 1/8 damage per turn. With Leech Seed that's 1/4 of their health. With Toxic it'd be even more. That's why it has new viability and if he doesn't get Contrary, which was the point I was making, then this would be his best set. Obviously Contrary Leaf Storm is better, but we Are listing options here.

That's funny, I'm using a contrary serperior in Pokebank OU and there's no problems... I guess I should've mentioned somewhere this might be post-pokebank exclusive
You should know that it should not even be available in Pokebank OU because the DW Serperior was never released, whereas those that do belong in Pokebank OU have been released just not currently available in X/Y till transfers are open. Seeing as it never existed at any point outside of data mining it is simply an oversight that allows it to be played in Pokebank OU.

This is one of those watch-and-wait cases. -If- we get Contrary Serperior, you have a self-boosting special blaster who delights in opponents who drop Sticky Web, but has to hope it gets something decent tutored for coverage or it's Hidden Power and nothin'. At least with a guaranteed 60 power, HP (whatever) after even a single Leaf Storm is going to make a real impression. If we don't AND Serperior doesn't get either some new egg moves OR decent TMs, it'll slink into the lower tiers and never return.

You could get away with Wrap/Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Protect + Binding Band as one option nowadays if it doesn't get Contrary, though. If nothing else, it could likely survive squeezing something to death. With Contrary, you could swap Leech Seed for Leaf Storm and use the boosted Drains for recovery instead.

Wrap and other trap moves got a passive damage buff and deal 1/8 damage per turn. With Leech Seed that's 1/4 of their health. With Toxic it'd be even more. That's why it has new viability and if he doesn't get Contrary, which was the point I was making, then this would be his best set. Obviously Contrary Leaf Storm is better, but we Are listing options here.
Oh, very cool! Would that make it 1/6 or 1/4 with a Binding Band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)