Pokémon Serperior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of been out of OU for a little bit but before I left and after this came out, this was one of my favourite Pokémon to use. It's splashability is absolutely insane; nothing boosts quite as easily as it does, it fits perfectly onto FWG cores, it's speed is stupidly good, it's surprisingly powerful... went from probably the absolute worst in-game starter to one of the best Pokémon in OU imo.
How's everyone finding Glare? If... people use it at all that is; I never used it myself but it seems very interesting.

Kind of been out of OU for a little bit but before I left and after this came out, this was one of my favourite Pokémon to use. It's splashability is absolutely insane; nothing boosts quite as easily as it does, it fits perfectly onto FWG cores, it's speed is stupidly good, it's surprisingly powerful... went from probably the absolute worst in-game starter to one of the best Pokémon in OU imo.
How's everyone finding Glare? If... people use it at all that is; I never used it myself but it seems very interesting.

Meganium was offended when you suggest it was better then Serp even for a second!

Glare is interesting, I just find the move slot if better served elsewhere. Like you could sacrifice Giga, but then you lose sustainability...it all depends on prefference really

Glare seems like a fairly effective option, since Serp's 4th slot is usually up in the air already, and many of Serp's offensive switch-ins depend on being able to outspeed him to win, so Glare cripples them whether against him or the rest of the team.

I'm actually testing glare right now and I've found it to be pretty useful. I had to get rid of giga drain for it though, but overall i found that paralyzing foes is quite useful and often better than giga drain. Of course serp can easily wear itself down quickly, but usually paralysis is better than recovery from what ive seen.

I think the dominant check to Serperior is it is too reliant on leaf storm. Say the ever popular Mega-Gengar set comes in (On a non-mega Gengar of course since were speaking OU here) with disable. Swaps in early with only 2x boost from leaf storm, and then uses disable. What does serp do now, as Gengar can't be poisoned and leaf storm is gone? I personally like it as a harasser with gastro acid (makes gliscor users ragequit), taunt/leech seed, leaf storm, and dragon tail. Guaranteed to be annoying.

Still wished there was some other viable option rather than contrary leaf storm, though.

Lol first of all Gengar doesn't outspeed Serperior so it can't disable before serperior leaf storms again. Second of all, lets say the gengar was quick claw or somehow managed to move first, the serperior user could still go dragon pulse wich at +2 KOs after leaf storm prior damage.

...... True I guess you are right. Srry for some reason I was thinking of a slower serperior set I had seen someone use. Wasnt very good tho.

Lol first of all Gengar doesn't outspeed Serperior so it can't disable before serperior leaf storms again. Second of all, lets say the gengar was quick claw or somehow managed to move first, the serperior user could still go dragon pulse wich at +2 KOs after leaf storm prior damage.
That's kinda the beauty of serperior. It is so satisfying to be able to outspeed all those pesky base 110s (latis, gengar, mega diancie, ect.) Contrary was a long awaited ability for serp and when it was finally released it shot up from nu to BL and eventually ou. Although I believe serps role in nu was to be a bulky screen setter, which is interesting considering its bulk is better than its power. Then look at the plethora of distruptive moves like glare, knock off, d tail, leech seed, and even gastro acid yu have a fast, bulky and distruptive mon. It is kinda a shame that this is overshadowed by its leaf storm set, but even that is a unique niche only compareable to moxie sweepers, and its still better than those.

It's for that reason that I've never really been dissatisfied by Serp's movepool. Relying on HP Fire or Ground to hit steels is eh, sure, but it's something everyone's used to for a lot of Pokemon. And Dragon Pulse is otherwise decent coverage. In the meantime, how often have you been switching in to a serperior and hoping it's not packing one of those support moves? Glare especially and Knock Off sometimes can be a scary threat, even if they're not standard. I just prefer Giga Drain's healing too much most of the time :0

In the meantime you can still use Serperior as an interesting and fast bulky supporter who packs a teeny tiny win condition into one move. It's a really cool niche.

It's for that reason that I've never really been dissatisfied by Serp's movepool. Relying on HP Fire or Ground to hit steels is eh, sure, but it's something everyone's used to for a lot of Pokemon. And Dragon Pulse is otherwise decent coverage. In the meantime, how often have you been switching in to a serperior and hoping it's not packing one of those support moves? Glare especially and Knock Off sometimes can be a scary threat, even if they're not standard. I just prefer Giga Drain's healing too much most of the time :0

In the meantime you can still use Serperior as an interesting and fast bulky supporter who packs a teeny tiny win condition into one move. It's a really cool niche.
While Giga Drain healing is neat, I find myself running Knock Off (screw Chansey) and HP Rock (screw SmogonBird and Volcarona) more often. -> In the latter case, HP Fire is replaced with Glare.
To the OP, please run 252 Spe as this allows you to tie with other Serperiors and outspeed any 30 IV Speed Serperior (HP Fire / Rock). That extra 3 Hp or 3 Def will not help you to survive any hits anyway.

Last edited:
I agree with Random Passerby here. Hp rock is great coverage, and Knock Off is handy. But I wonder if besides standard leaf storm, maybe it could work for sunny day teams? Spam leaf storm to get 4x boost, the use a 75% healing synthesis is the sunlight, and then use solarbeam. Solarbeam isn't as good as leaf storm, but it still might work. Just a thought.

I agree with Random Passerby here. Hp rock is great coverage, and Knock Off is handy. But I wonder if besides standard leaf storm, maybe it could work for sunny day teams? Spam leaf storm to get 4x boost, the use a 75% healing synthesis is the sunlight, and then use solarbeam. Solarbeam isn't as good as leaf storm, but it still might work. Just a thought.
A smart opponent wouldn't let you get to such large levels of set-up - and if they're sufficiently weakened to let you get to those levels of set-up, it's generally risky, not worth it and inferior to other options. One of the big things that makes Serperior such a unique threat is the speed with which it just suddenly comes in, sets up and annihilates you all at once. In addition, what you're advocating is two moves with the same type and damage output - this is a pretty bad waste of a moveslot, especially when you've already stated a third move hence badly hurting your move choice in that you can't run more than one of Hidden Power, Dragon Pulse, Knock Off, Glare etc. Finally, sun is very bad and mediocre outside of Mega Charizard Y and the occasional Venusaur paired with it.

Galom

Banned deucer.
While it's true that Serperior has a shallow movepool, we've been shown before that shallow but effective movepools can easily keep a Pokemon relevant. Look at Keldeo. It's been a massive threat since its introduction in the fifth generation--with a movepool consisting of 6-7 notable moves.
I think Serperior is another example of this. Leaf Storm and Dragon Pulse are a staple of offensive variants. From there, a player can choose either Hidden Power [Ground] to beat Heatran or Hidden Power [Fire] to beat Scizor and Ferrothorn, depending on what his or her team has more trouble with. Glare is awesome for the surprise factor, and can be taken as a fourth move if a player so desires, or you could go with Substitute to get an even better matchup against defensively-natured teams.
I see discussion about Knock Off on Serperior, and while I haven't tried it, I could see it being decent as well. If you're running HP Fire and your opponent has a Heatran, you could at least Knock Off the Leftovers on the switch-in, which Heatran would not appreciate one bit.
Overall, I think the depth of the movepool, while not helpful, doesn't stop Serperior from being effective. Like Keldeo, it can run quite a few different sets, even with its limited move options, which makes it a very interesting 'mon to use and face.

I'd like to say that Bind might be a viable option for Serperior. A lot of it's checks (Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc.) usually require scouting/double switching to see what HP you have, so Bind can be a nice move for trapping them and KOing them with the right hidden power. I've used this and I have some decent results with it.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
While Giga Drain healing is neat, I find myself running Knock Off (screw Chansey) and HP Rock (screw SmogonBird and Volcarona) more often. -> In the latter case, HP Fire is replaced with Glare.
To the OP, please run 252 Spe as this allows you to tie with other Serperiors and outspeed any 30IV Speed Serperior (HP Fire / Ground). That extra 3 Hp or 3 Def will not help you to survive any hits anyway.
HP Ground does not require a lowered Speed IV, but otherwise yeah run max Speed.

I'd like to say that Bind might be a viable option for Serperior. A lot of it's checks (Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc.) usually require scouting/double switching to see what HP you have, so Bind can be a nice move for trapping them and KOing them with the right hidden power. I've used this and I have some decent results with it.
The problem with that is Bind's shaky accuracy and the fact that you're giving up a moveslot for it that could go to an extra coverage or a more useful move like knock off or glare.

I'm curious, what's people's go to pokemon to handle electric types that Serp (particularly Glare Serp) struggles with - I'm talking about bulky Zapdos, Raikou (Scarf, Specs, AV or LO), Mega Manectric (not too much of a problem if it hasn't already mega evolved), TWave Thundurus and Scarf Magnezone (Rotom-W not being an issue for obvious reasons)?

I'm currently using Mega Swampert with Rain Dance/Waterfall/EQ/Ice Punch as deals with a lot of these threats being immune to their STAB and hit neutrally by pretty much all else (HP Grass is rare). It also is a nice threat to rain teams, who outspeed Serp with Swift Swim and hit hard with their often SE coverage, and like Serp Swampert can pull off a late game clean quite happily outspeeding pretty much all of the unboosted meta with 176 speed EVs (under rain you outspeed maximum invested 150s and lower).

However Swampert's not a fan of repeated Intimidates from Mega Manectric if the opponent has switches they can make, so I was wondering if anyone else had better or alternate suggestions?

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm curious, what's people's go to pokemon to handle electric types that Serp (particularly Glare Serp) struggles with - I'm talking about bulky Zapdos, Raikou (Scarf, Specs, AV or LO), Mega Manectric (not too much of a problem if it hasn't already mega evolved), TWave Thundurus and Scarf Magnezone (Rotom-W not being an issue for obvious reasons)?

I'm currently using Mega Swampert with Rain Dance/Waterfall/EQ/Ice Punch as deals with a lot of these threats being immune to their STAB and hit neutrally by pretty much all else (HP Grass is rare). It also is a nice threat to rain teams, who outspeed Serp with Swift Swim and hit hard with their often SE coverage, and like Serp Swampert can pull off a late game clean quite happily outspeeding pretty much all of the unboosted meta with 176 speed EVs (under rain you outspeed maximum invested 150s and lower).

However Swampert's not a fan of repeated Intimidates from Mega Manectric if the opponent has switches they can make, so I was wondering if anyone else had better or alternate suggestions?
Glare actually is able of paralyzing Electric-types, so you can cripple them and wear them down with boosted Leaf Storms and Dragon Pulses if you wish. Mega Charizard X is a stellar partner for obvious reasons, and it also deals with Magnezone, Zapdos, Raikou, and Mega Manectric which kinda trouble Serperior. Serperior on rain sounds like a solid concept though, and under rain it actually beats Mega Manectric.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
Glare actually is able of paralyzing Electric-types, so you can cripple them and wear them down with boosted Leaf Storms and Dragon Pulses if you wish. Mega Charizard X is a stellar partner for obvious reasons, and it also deals with Magnezone, Zapdos, Raikou, and Mega Manectric which kinda trouble Serperior. Serperior on rain sounds like a solid concept though, and under rain it actually beats Mega Manectric.
Electric types cant get paralyzed at all in Gen6.

ZardX does sound like a good partner, but on my team I can't really afford a Defog user without forfeiting a good deal of my offense (even then, you have to find an opportunity to Defog in the first instance), and Roost + DD is a bit too set up dependent for my liking (Roost to keep it healthy if you don't have a Defogger and then likely a DD to up speed is a bit too much work and leaves you open to dangerous switches). Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm sure other people will find a ZardX/Serp partnership useful.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
"Glare's accuracy changed from 90% to 100%. It no longer affects Electric-type Pokémon."

Well shit I didn't see that, thanks for reminding me o_o. But yeah my point still stands.

Reactions: p2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)