Setting Down Rules for Platinum Updating

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Don't make reservations yet; reservations made now will not count. Come to think of it, the reservation process is something else we need to figure out. How many Pokemon may be reserved at a time and how long? Personally I believe this should be a case of moderator discretion; reserving 10 analyses at a time or taking weeks to write a reserved analysis is obviously not going to be allowed, but there are some fine-line cases.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't make reservations yet; reservations made now will not count. Come to think of it, the reservation process is something else we need to figure out. How many Pokemon may be reserved at a time and how long? Personally I believe this should be a case of moderator discretion; reserving 10 analyses at a time or taking weeks to write a reserved analysis is obviously not going to be allowed, but there are some fine-line cases.
I would say 3-5 at a time max, and once you complete them you can reserve more etc. I'd give about 2 or 2 1/2 weeks on a single update (unless it's being worked on) before someone else is given a try at it.

At least Kakuna Man returned to give us that updated analysis.

well there's sets and there's full revamps to do and if we try and have a "limit number" on how many full revamps/set analyses people can handle, not only is it gonna get too complicated/annoying to enfore, but it doesnt take into account that some people can probably get sets up faster than others..

i think we should just let badgeholders decide what they're doing,solve conflicts privately and if it becomes a problem then intervene. I don't think anyone's gonna get greedy, so why not just do first come first serve, dont be a retard and reserve a fuckton of sets?

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm agreeing that we should just let badgeholders post, or maybe just have badgeholders post threads, and have other people weigh in on the content of the thread. I think that the sooner we do this and get it worked out the better, so we can advance more in the metagame and learn all the new sets and what not. There is a lot of things to do, but if just the badgeholders (and maybe a certain select group from PR or metagame analysis) work on it we can get this out of the way and continue with our testing. Start with Skymin in OU, it can be the next suspect anyway.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I agree with this, except for the "pokemon only get one thread" thing. Separating it by generation (rby/gsc/adv/dpp) is really helpful in the title. I think one thread per set is fine, it helps keep discussion flowing and concentrated. It also helps to keep track of who is actually posting new sets much easier. It's not like we're going to be flooded with Kingdra sets just because it got one useful move, Outrage, in Platinum.
Platinum updating will have its separate forum, the one it's occupying now, so that's not an issue.

Yeah, we should probably come up with a list of what each Pokémon needs. Just a list such as:

Shaymin-S - Full Article
Grumpig - Switch Hidden Power Bug for Signal Beam
It's not just Platinum changes to a Pokemon itself that will require changes to the analysis - changes to other Pokemon will also affect the way they work. Metagross will obviously have Trick implemented in its analysis, but it'll also have the Rotom formes added to its counters section, so listing it just in terms of additions isn't the best way to do it. Not saying that a list itself is a bad idea, but it shouldn't be based off Platinum changes to just that Pokemon.

Actually, I'd go so far as to say that pretty much every analysis will need some sort of update since the Platinum changes affect so much.

fishin brings up a good point... it's not like every pokemon got a new set but pretty much every one of them is in a brave new metagame facing those new sets.

in fact theres gonna be alot of stuff like "magnezone isn't a zapdos counter anymore" pretty much everywhere... these kinds of thing don't merit a topic each do they? theres gonna be like .. a hundred "Pt Moltres (counters)" threads otherwise.... maybe we should have a thread for posting fixes to analyses that dont involve new sets?

we could have a full list in the OP of every pokemon (some of them would not need anything mentioned really, especially in the lower metagames, we're not gonna fuck with mothim she's pretty much exactly where she was) and people can just post a slightly modified counters section for a poke (really no point claiming these at all.. i dunno?) to be quickly and effeciently chached and hard deleted, not unlike small changes.

edit: wow magnezone isnt even mentioned in zapdos' DP analysis maybe i am exagerrating the amount of fixes we need for Pt, but we do need alot of revamps, no offense to the original authors!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not just Platinum changes to a Pokemon itself that will require changes to the analysis - changes to other Pokemon will also affect the way they work. Metagross will obviously have Trick implemented in its analysis, but it'll also have the Rotom formes added to its counters section, so listing it just in terms of additions isn't the best way to do it. Not saying that a list itself is a bad idea, but it shouldn't be based off Platinum changes to just that Pokemon.

Actually, I'd go so far as to say that pretty much every analysis will need some sort of update since the Platinum changes affect so much.
Yeh, that's exactly what I meant. The list would indicate everything which a certain page needs. I just listed those two as examples off the top of my head, a lot of Pokémon will have their Other Options and Counters sections edited, possibly even Opinion or EVs as well. Obviously a lot of move-sets will change, but there will be some, such as Infernape, which will not need any changes. (Except for a possible new move adding to Other Options, or a new counter that can beat it thanks to a new move, or a new Pokémon such as Rotom-W).

I'd just think that having a list with what definately needs done first and for most will make things run a lot smoother.

Also, to add to this, I never meant for everything to have its own topic at all. The list would be its own thread, and when people have gone into the SCMS to change things, they can post in the thread what they've done. I do realize it could get a little untidy, but if it's limited to Badgeholders+ and things are deleted once cached (and checked off on the list) it could be a lot easier.

Just an idea, anyway.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Platinum updating will have its separate forum, the one it's occupying now, so that's not an issue.
Can we please do this soon?

Why are we taking so long to implement Platinum updates? D/P technically doesn't even exist anymore, we are just keeping ourselves stuck in the past by stopping Platinum updates from happening, especially as far as the analyses go.

If there was any actual reason to prevent these things from being updated, can someone let me know? I don't see why stopping people from updating things with Platinum changes was ever a good idea to begin with. The whole point of me, Aldaron and BK cleaning the analysis forum was so that we DIDNT have to put an arbitrary hold on Platinum updates.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just thought of this, but would the articles on site need to be updated with Platinum as well? I know my BP guide needs an update because of Platinum (which I'll take care of), but do any of the other articles need to be updated for Platinum? I'm sure the Breeding Guide and stuff doesn't need to be changed, but articles like the Uber Battling Guide might need a writeup of Girtinia-O and what not. Anything else you guys can think of? Is this necessary?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Sometime in the future I will update the uber guide, so don't worry (someone remind me later!).

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
chaos said to allow everyone for now and shut it down if it gets messy, so here's what I have of the ruleset now.

-For now, everyone is allowed to post here; however, if it gets messy, this forum will be limited to badgeholders only.
-Use common sense when posting here, write in the correct SCMS format, and make thoughtful posts.
-You are allowed to reserve analyses or specific sets, but keep the reservations to a reasonable level and complete them promptly.
-Title your threads in the following way: Pokemon (Description). If it's a full revamp, write "Full Revamp"; if not, write the names of the sets as "Set name / Set name / etc."

So people can just post whatever set isn't reserved pretty much? Like you don't have to reserve something before posting it ?_?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sounds good GS.

Oh and Jibaku. What about my completed Giratina-O and Darkrai analysis? I didn't know you wanted them or something. You should have mentioned it somewhere. Next time, put it in your signature or something.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, better get to work on Honchkrow, Rotom-F, and Rotom-W then. I might do DX-S but should I wait on this until we've decided if it's OU or Uber?

Caelum

qibz official stalker
So, when do we start posting exactly GS?

Edit: why are people reserving ones I've already done (looks at maniac ^_^).

So, when do we start posting exactly GS?
^-----

Also will there be a list as to who has which reservations and what not, similar to how it was done when we first started updating with D/P?

Also I want to say I'm reserving Kingdra, Scizor, Dialga and Giratina-A all for full revamps.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, if there's a list, I'd really like to say that I'm reserving Trick Togekiss, and that I'm going to do a Bibarel Full Revamp (I did a really bad job when I did that Bibarel Peer Edit several months ago, and my experience with the guy has gotten a lot better, so I'm going to re-do it with the Curse set included).

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
^-----

Also will there be a list as to who has which reservations and what not, similar to how it was done when we first started updating with D/P?

Also I want to say I'm reserving Kingdra, Scizor, Dialga and Giratina-A all for full revamps.
I had already reserved Kingdra. I've already been working on it. =/
Although I'm dropping Specs Swampert. It really needs to be decided when reservations became valid. As Great Sage never said, "Ok, you can start reserving now."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)