Setting in the West (Gen V RMT)

Setting in the West (Gen V RMT) --> OMG WITH SHOUTOUTS!!!

This team peaked me #15 on the Gen V LC ladder, and probably for good reason. My Sunny Day team was what got me to the requirement point for the suspect test. If I didn't switch my teams to my other one that sucks I'd probably get higher on the ladder too. I was at 1199 when I switched to my "standard" team and went down to 1163. That's when I decided to buckle down and switch to this team and I got my ass back up to 1213, my highest ever on the Gen V LC ladder. I'd just like to also thank everyone who supported me and I'd like to show a little love to my bros on smogon (Lanturn314 can gtfo). Because Vulpix is most likely going to go after Vader gets the thread up, I also wanted to show how Sunny Day is totally broken and Vulpix's leaving will be significant. Not much else to say here except thanks to everyone who supported me throughout my experiences during my laddering to make voting requirements on Mother's Day and all of my haters
eg:
the bestest: we don't like him
the bestest: we're waiting for him to fail
the bestest: :)

CAN SUCK IT

Anyways, the team as a whole:

Through the microscope:

ShinyAzelf (Vulpix) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drought
EVs: 52 HP / 200 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Hypnosis
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Why Vulpix?

Leads usually determine the pace of the battle, and I'd like to say that this is one of my favorite leads of ALL TIME (where's Kanye when you need him?). Vulpix gets the job done a great amount of the time and there's no question as to whether or not it's broken. Fire Blast is so strong, it's a solid 2HKO on Hippopotas without Sunny Day, so it can't switch in to take attacks and stuff without like Wish support or something. In the sun, it's an easy OHKO on Gligar, which is why I'm not running Energy Ball gets pretty damn good coverage with Fire Blast, and smacks Rock- and Water-types that expect a Fire Blast for huge damage. Hypnosis is a cool third move IMO because it smacks things to sleep when they least expect it and I can get a nice opportunity for my sweepers to switch in without fear of getting hit by something. Finally, I like HP Ground in the last slot over HP Ice because, as previously mentioned, Fire Blast is an OHKO on Gligar anyways and Energy Ball does more damage to most every Ground except like Numel and now I have an OHKO move on Houndour and a 2HKO move on other Vulpix.

Why ShinyAzelf?

Because ShinyAzelf is my bro, that's why. He's one of my best friends on this forum and it was really cool getting to know him and stuff. We're both from Hong Kong which is also cool and we get along pretty well when we're both on (which is approximately never). I've dedicated myself to never battling him on the ladder because I want to preserve my undefeated 1-0 record vs. him so he can't brag about being better than I am. Anyways, he's really good at Little Cup and I respect that. We pretty much cleaned up Gen IV LC analyses with our "rivalry" which is now a great friendship. What I originally wanted to do was repost what he said about me and switch like three words or so but ended up not. GL in the future bro!

Lamppost (Bellsprout) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Sleep Powder
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Growth

Why Bellsprout?

Bellsprout is my premier choice for a Sunny Day sweeper primarily because of its versatility and pure power as a Chlorophyll sweeper; so strong it was posted as a nomination to be banned (I forget by whom though)! Sleep Powder is obvious as a first move choice because I can safely get up a Growth the next turn. Speaking of Growth, I'm betting at least a couple of you are wondering why I'm using Growth over Swords Dance. I prefer Growth over Swords Dance because of the surprise factor that it gives me. With Swords Dance, my opponent will probably send in Gligar to take a hit and KO Bellsprout. But with Growth, the what if? factor is still there because my opponent won't know what my other two moves are: (Solarbeam and Weather Ball? Solarbeam and HP Ice? Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch? IDKKKKK). With Growth, I can confuse my opponent and laugh when he mispredicts. Sucker Punch and Seed Bomb are my attacks the latter gets STAB and the former gets priority yada yada yada.

Why lamppost?

Honestly, because I'm his bitch. One of my most equally-matched rivals of Gen V, lamppost has been a cool guy on PO and IRC. He is obviously very talented, always me a good run for my money (and can come out on top ~half the time). Also, his avatar is win.

Mooo (Oddish) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Why Oddish?

I decided that I needed 2 Chlorophyll sweepers, and was torn between Petilil and this thing. I decided to go with Oddish for a couple of reasons. One: it has Sludge Bomb that gets STAB. Two: it resists Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave. Sleep Powder is again, clutch, and I always laugh as I get a shitload of attacks off and they get nothing. I went with Giga Drain over Solarbeam because it can heal Oddish in a pinch and it's never a good thing when Snover gets a free KO after I lock myself into Solarbeam. Sludge Bomb is a great STAB and HP Fire gets me a super effective attack on Ferroseed. Oddish doesn't have a boosting move but it's OK because it's SpA is pretty high to begin with and is pretty fast (26 Spe with Chlorophyll IIRC).

Why Mooo?

I consider Oddish to be my weakest link on this team, and Mooo sucks, so the analogy fits nicely. Just kidding. It's really fun to laugh and makes jokes about them, but then they'll kick your ass when you aren't looking. Mooo was pretty much my personal cheerleader on Mother's Day when voting ended and it really sucked to see him not make the voting requirements. GL in the future bro! PS he's still my personal cheerleader and he's actually decent at LC but his retarded killer nacho cow thing is really a turn-off.

kokoloko (Timburr) (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Atk / 236 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Why Timburr?

I needed a surefire counter to Carvanha, which is why I went with Timburr. It really doesn't have a place on most Sunny Day teams, but I figured that Timburr was an all-around tank that could sponge physical hits and stop Scraggy as well. Bulk Up is important as I can further take physical attacks, and can do some serious damage as well. Drain Punch is its primary STAB and Mach Punch gets cool priority. Payback is for Ghost-types and though Timburr usually allows Gligar to set up, my other Pokemon can usually take it out with ease. The EVs are built toward Special Defense because I wanted Timburr to be able to take neutral special attacks more easily and it's worked to moderate success but I always wondered if a more offensive spread would be better suited for this kind of team.

Why kokoloko?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'M ABSOLUTELY LOKO FOR KOKO. He's a cool guy and since he only lives about 10 miles from my house, I can stalk him as much as I want and he can't do anything about it. Easily one of the bets LC players I've ever faced, koko has proved himself to be an all-around good person. We HAVE to meet IRL sometime and play LC or something but until then I guess it's just going to be on PO.

Nails (Misdreavus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Thunderbolt

Why Misdreavus?

Misdreavus seems like, at first, kind of an oddball on this team. When I was looking at this team, even I didn't know why Misdreavus was even on the team. Then it hit me. I needed a stop to Meditite, a Pokemon that can spam Fake Out and other gay moves against this team with ease if it weren't for this little ghost. Misdreavus also has a shitload of offensive power to boot, reaching dangerously high Special Attack and Speed stats, the former being boosted by Life Orb. Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting still get unresisted coverage, and Thunderbolt gets additional super effective coverage against other things (flyers) as well. Max Special Attack and Speed are essential, and they provide Missy with as much power as it could ever get/need. Substitute is fun as if my opponent switches out they are most likely going to lose SOMETHING in an attempt to break my sub which eases predictions in the future as well. If my opponent shows a Fake Out lead in Meowth or Meditite I usually lead with Misdreavus.

Why Nails?

Nails is the bestest LC battler ever, as well as being one of my closest friends on Smogon, so naturally I had to give him a shout-out in my RMT thread. Nails' Sunny Day team involves no Chlorophyll users at all, so that's why I gave him Misdreavus. Misdreavus is an OP Pokemon, just like how all of Nails' teams from both Gen IV and Gen V are OP as well. Also, there's a good chance that Missy will be banned again, like how Nails should be banned from playing LC. In all reality, though, Nails is a great person and I'd have to say that our trip (along with Tobes) to the moon was an overall success, and killing Aerrow upon takeoff was pretty cool too. BS no way did you buy $4 Google stocks.

ENZ0 (Darumaka) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Why Darumaka?

Darumaka is an amazing Pokemon on this team, and I absolutely love having it around despite the fact that its moves will be hitting at 80% accuracy at best. In the sun Darumaka gets ridiculous power with Flare Blitz and will kill a lot of things with it even if the move is resisted. Superpower is a great coverage move and OHKOs the fuck out of Houndour who is a pain in the neck to this team as I have to predict around Sucker Punch and other moves while it can sweep the fuck out of my whole team if I don't play against it correctly. I went with Jolly over Adamant because I felt that the speed was necessary so I could beat [insert threat here] (actually I think it was so I'd always beat Snover but maybe not). Rock Slide is cool since it gets coverage on Mantyke (though not a lot of people use it) and U-turn allows Darumaka to be my team's lone scout. As long as its moves are connecting I absolutely love Darumaka and still love it even when I get haxed.

Why ENZ0?

ENZ0 is one of the best battlers I've ever played against, though unlike Skynet, koko, Nails, and others (fucking Psykout), I'm undefeated against him. Nevertheless, Darumaka hits like a fucking truck with its moves, just like how ENZ0 can with his performances. He's #1 on the ladder for a reason, and that reason is because he's a fucking beast. Great times on IRC and we both felt stupid after taking the APUSH exam (Nixon smh). Also, he probably gets haxed as many times as Darumaka does, so it's a good analogy imo.

Nice team, loving the fact that I'm only mentioned in the haters section :). Just one real suggestion:

Swap out Timburr for Evio Meditite. With a set of

Meditite@Eviolite
36 HP / 196 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature

-Fake Out
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunderpunch

Tite can be a hard check to Gligar, who can otherwise mess with your team a great deal. He also has much higher attacking stats and achieves a high level of bulk with Eviolite equipped, allowing him to recover even more with Drain Punch and serve as a great sponge, while still checking and countering the things you need Timburr to counter. Also, in sun, a slow, bulky sweep is usually not as useful as an all-out attacking or quick set-up poke.

PS. Fire Blast is far from an OHKO on Gligar

I'll take the (fucking Psykout) as the best compliment ever. Noting that I am the best...or most annoying.
You can tell i've been working on modesty.

In all seriousness though, sun is "fucking" broken. PO may have banned it a bit early, but there's a reason in the end. Sun gives the base of 26 speed to its abusers. I'll stop talking about how powerful sun in general is and how powerful the team is:

Very

My modifications: Misdreavus set needs changed, it just does.
Advice: Run the set Shadow Ball/Icy Wind/Hidden Power Fire.
This koes tesshihdo under sun without life orb which can be annoying to your bellsprout.

Darumaka i would advise changed to houndour, darumakka is so powerful, but houndour can check misdreavus and has the all important flash fire. Makka I find does not live long and I dislike relying on 80% accuracy moves the entire time.

Honestly this team has all the right ideas.
A ghost type. A fighting type (for Scraggy and just usefullness). A sun set up (decides the team), 2 sun abusers and a wallbreaker that can take advantage of the weather aswell.

The only thing this team lacks is priority (mach punch is only one pokemon), but with virtually 4 scarfers I don't see the huge problem with second glance.

Those are my quick thoughts, I haven't done this type of metagame for a while because sun really is so strong.

PS: Although you didn't use this team, our battle had the largest annoying hax, just thought i'd mention it. We then re battled, you still t-bolt critted my meditite, the exact same way, but this time i managed to pull around and win. Evidence for first sentence

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree, i do have the best avatar EVER. Anyways thanks for the shoutout.

But here's my rate:
When i battled you the only way i won was winning the weather battle with snover. I won the weather battles by setting up stealth rocks and making vulpix switch in to switch the weather back (obviously) which is IMO the only way sun doesn't dominate since you can't counter the abusers. Because of that i suggest you fit SR on this team so Snover gets beat down every time it switches in. I would switch darumaka out for a defensive gligar with SR. It could help with your houndour weakness by KO'ing it with eq because it can take a FB if its behind a sub. Anways use this set:

Gligar@eviolite
trait:sand veil
Evs: 76hp/76def/76sdef/255 spe
jolly nature
-stealth rock
-earthquake
-aerial ace
-roost
I think this would really help out against snover for weather wars. Other than that this team is really solid. Congrats on your success!

P.S.

I take that back your avatar + ct combo > my avvy

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Drop Hypnosis for Flamethrower on vulpix, running sleep moves on 3 mons is a bit excessive imo.

Adamant Bellsprout, no special moves.

Adamant Darumaka, since the team is already fast.

Drop thunderbolt on me tbh. It was mandatory during the krow meta but it doesn't hit much now. Maybe wisp for a replacement, since sucker punch screws up your sweepers (and the grass resist).

Keep Timburr, it's sort of a quasi check to missy in that it switches in and forces it out once, and you're sort of missy weak.

I sold the google stocks for $10. I'd already more than doubled my money, figured it was a smart monetary decision.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Her bro, thanks for the shoutout! And yeah, we realy do need to meet IRL or something. lol

Anyway, since you can't use this team anymore, it seems kind of pointless for me to rate it now /= Although my suggestion would have been to use a bulky Sun sweeper alongside a fast and frail one. Probably replacing Oddish with Eviolite Petilil or something.

Anyway, nice team, and congrats on meeting reqs and stuff. Although I can't sad I'm sad you can't use it anymore - Drought in LC is fucking retarded. =P

yo comatt,

Cool team man! Bellsprout seems mad interesting using physical moves. To be honest, with Vulpix gone you would probably have to scratch most of the team ._. But, a cool change would be to use NP+Oran Berry on Misdreavus. If you want to revamp the whole thing for the current metagame, I would still keep Timburr and Misdreavus. From there I would just start adding good checks to pokemon like Meditite and Gliscor. Not sure what else, but I'm sure you can take it from this core.

Thanks for the shoutout!!! Daruk is B0SS. LOL at APUSH exam. Looking forward to battling you in the near future xD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)