Setupmons

Approved by Eevee General

Welcome to Setupmons, in which every Pokemon everywhere gains access to all the +2 in total stat booster moves -but nothing stronger like Tail Glow or Shift Gear.

-Acid Armor/Iron Defense/Barrier

-Nasty Plot

-Swords Dance

-Autotomize/Agility/Rock Polish

-Dragon Dance

-Hone Claws

-Amnesia

-Calm Mind

-Bulk Up

-Cosmic Power/Defend Order

-Work Up/Growth

-Focus Energy

-Minimize (oh wait Evasion clause)

Clauses: OU, restricted to one Baton Pass user on the team. (If it proves too problematic, Baton Pass may be banned outright)

Bans: Nothing yet.

Playable Where: Just challenge someone to a Custom Game, give some Pokemon moves from the list above, and you're good to go.

Some notables to kick off discussion.

-Mega Slowbro with Cosmic Power/Defend Order. Unlike STABmons, it doesn't get Stored Power to become a murderous titan, but it's pretty darn close to unkillable... unless you're fielding a Mold Breaker with Focus Energy, in which case Mega Slowbro is the one afraid.

-Tons of potential Dragon Dancers -anything Physical in the 70-99 type of Speed range loves Dragon Dance, and plenty of them don't natively get it. For that matter, 100 Speed guys appreciate it -Mega Medicham might replace Fake Out with Dragon Dance, for instance.

-Everything has Minimize. OK OK it's just a joke don't get out the torches and pitchforks.

Discussion go!

Last edited:

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
pumped to spam Double Team

Anyways I'm excited to try out stuff like Dragon Dance Garchomp

Okay, I'll try to find time to make a team for this at some point or at least come up with some sets. Maybe something like Nasty Plot Latios?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally dragon dance sucker punch latias this seems really cool, mega venusaur seems like a good cm/dd mon. COSMIC POWER CRESSELIA WHYYYY

canno

formerly The Reptile
Dragon Dance Megagross looks very powerful, although it does have some 4MSS (Even if you think about removing Zen Headbutt or Meteor Mash you still need to choose between Ice Punch, Earthquake, and Grass Knot (for Quagsire)), due to its obviously fantastic attack and Tough Claws, not to mention its great 110 speed, meaning it speed ties with Scarf Latios at +1, something most DDers suffer from.

Then there's DD Bisharp, although SD is probably still better overall. Oh, and Garchomp and Kyurem-B can run Dragon Dance. You could also run SubCM Kyu-B (rip Kyu-N) with Roost and Ice Beam.

Dragon Dance Megagross looks very powerful, although it does have some 4MSS (Even if you think about removing Zen Headbutt or Meteor Mash you still need to choose between Ice Punch, Earthquake, and Grass Knot (for Quagsire)), due to its obviously fantastic attack and Tough Claws, not to mention its great 110 speed, meaning it speed ties with Scarf Latios at +1, something most DDers suffer from.

Then there's DD Bisharp, although SD is probably still better overall. Oh, and Garchomp and Kyurem-B can run Dragon Dance. You could also run SubCM Kyu-B (rip Kyu-N) with Roost and Ice Beam.
Um, why would you use Kyu-B for that? Kyu-N has 10 points more Sp. Atk. Yeah, Kyu-B has 10 points more phys Def, but…. Well, I suppose the Sp. Atk decrease doesn't matter that much when you can boost, and 10 points more Def is relevant when you're boosting special stats. Plus Teravolt is a much better ability. Also mono-attacking seems like a bad plan in general, even if it is Ice you're using.

As for DD Megagross, 4MSS seems like it wouldn't be as much of a problem when you can boost your way past almost anything provided it doesn't instantly threaten you. I'd recommend using Grass Knot just because of Quagsire's Unaware.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Um, why would you use Kyu-B for that? Kyu-N has 10 points more Sp. Atk. Yeah, Kyu-B has 10 points more phys Def, but…. Well, I suppose the Sp. Atk decrease doesn't matter that much when you can boost, and 10 points more Def is relevant when you're boosting special stats. Plus Teravolt is a much better ability. Also mono-attacking seems like a bad plan in general, even if it is Ice you're using.

As for DD Megagross, 4MSS seems like it wouldn't be as much of a problem when you can boost your way past almost anything provided it doesn't instantly threaten you. I'd recommend using Grass Knot just because of Quagsire's Unaware.
There's also the fact that Kyu-B as a CM sweeper is unexpected, especially when it can DDance. It's not even "unexpected" as a gimmick - Kyu-B arguably would do CM equally if not better than Kyu-N not counting the unpredictability fact. The only real reason to use Kyu-N over Kyu-B is Pressure, as Kyu-N can actually stall out shit like Ferro's Gyro Balls thanks to Pressure which Kyu-B doesn't boast. Also what's wrong with Mono Attacker? Suicune has been doing it since Gen 3 just fine, and Suicune has to deal with things being immune to Water. I would do mono-Dragon Pulse but Fairies exist now so :\

Praise Unaware. Also a few thoughts:
-Toxic support is needed to take care of M-Slowbro, or a Mold Breaker Focus Energy Scope Lens Poke.
-Always use Autonomize unless you are called Aggron.
-Really like that Focus Energy idea, maybe Drapion could work with Sniper, M-Ampharos gonna be the prime Cosmic Power Slowbro Killer.
-Nasty Plot Keldeo...
-Boosting Greninja for more 4mss
-Terravolt + Ice Beam and Earth Power is more or less perfect coverage, so Cm Kyu-B with either Roost or Sub. Better than mono-attacking I guess.
-Steel, Poison and Grass are probably the best STABs or coverage for set-up sweepers since they can hit Unware users.
- For more broken that DD Bisharp is we need to thanks Mach Punch on Conkelldurr and there is where Gothtitelle comes and tricks you scarf and proceeds to set-up.
-Don't wanna lie, Psychic types seem pretty cool in here thanks too being able too deal with pink blobs.
-Agility M-Gardevoir
-Sun teams have Growth on anything, so they might be cool again. Growth M-Houndoom with extra physical support( Sucker Punch and maybe Thunder Fang)

DDance Garchomp... We're all dead...
At least it makes Mega Garchomp slightly more usable too...

Iron Defense Blissey/Chansey? No? ok...

Also everything with sniper gets Focus Energy. Great.

The idea of Mega Metagross with DD is nightmarish. It has the added bonus of being able to not only smash Unaware Clefable but also being able to break through Quagsire with Grass Knot as well.

swords dance mega loppuny anyone?
Actually, that would work really well.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Trait: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-High Jump Kick
-Return

Abuse the switches you can force to get a Sub up, SD while they break your Sub, murder things forever with unresisted STAB. :D

-Sun teams have Growth on anything, so they might be cool again. Growth M-Houndoom with extra physical support( Sucker Punch and maybe Thunder Fang)
I keep getting all excited about Sun Growth until I remember that you can just take Nasty Plot or Swords Dance if you want a +2 boost. It's only really notable if you want to run a mixed attacker in Sun for some reason. But yeah, Mega Houndoom might appreciate it anyway.

oops forgot to take the line off the last part
You can edit posts instead of doubleposting.

The idea of Mega Metagross with DD is nightmarish. It has the added bonus of being able to not only smash Unaware Clefable but also being able to break through Quagsire with Grass Knot as well.
My crystal ball tells me Mega Metagross is going to be my first Suspect or quickban.

Maaaan, I like Metagross.

canno

formerly The Reptile
In terms of suspects, Kyu-B might be another thing to look out for. It's just way to versatile. Sub or Roost + CM / CM+3 Attacks, DD still has issues with no Ice STAB but its still stupid strong and can boost its speed, SD or even NP to become a spooky wall breaker, and even Growth if that's your thing (it can go mixed with Fusion Bolt, Ice Beam, and Earth Power). I think it might at least warrant a look at.

Mega Sceptile now gets a reliable boosting method. Of course, if you then run substitute, you've got two slots left for your STABs or whatever, which would leave you easily walled...
eh, just take one of a million other boosting attackers
rip stall
...except for cosmic power chansey

This a weird concept. The ability to have a powerful setup move is now much less valued simply because everything has powerful setup moves...
Voltturn seems less viable, simply because you would rather have your Pokemon stay in and slam everything with +2 attacks. Looks like we'll have to trade in our Manectrics and Beedrills and trade them for Medichams...
Speaking of Medicham, lol swords dance

Mega Sceptile now gets a reliable boosting method. Of course, if you then run substitute, you've got two slots left for your STABs or whatever, which would leave you easily walled...
eh, just take one of a million other boosting attackers
rip stall
...except for cosmic power chansey

This a weird concept. The ability to have a powerful setup move is now much less valued simply because everything has powerful setup moves...
Voltturn seems less viable, simply because you would rather have your Pokemon stay in and slam everything with +2 attacks. Looks like we'll have to trade in our Manectrics and Beedrills and trade them for Medichams...
Speaking of Medicham, lol swords dance
Why not Dragon Dance Mega Medicham though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)