Espeon @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Psychic / Psyshock
-Signal Beam / Shadow Ball / HP Fire
-Baton Pass

Just one of many potential sets Baton Passers could have fun with. If BP ends up banned, you can dump another coverage move in the fourth slot.

Everybody loves setup, and this meta brings tons of it. Just gonna list a few things I find notable:

Rock Polish (Mega) Heracross.

DDance Diggersby, perhaps.

Agility Hoopa, once it's released.

Bulk Up (Mega) Banette.

Nasty Plot Sharpedo. I have tried this one before in my meta that got denied, and it put in some serious work.

Autotomize Conkeldurr.

DDance Mega Glalie...

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Anti-Setupmons: How to say "screw everyone trying to play with the new toys in this meta"

Unaware:
Every sweeper basically needs to be able to bash past Clefable and Quagsire, who will probably be very common. If they can't, they should be paired with a lure to take them down.

Encore:
Encoring the setup stops them cold. Scared of speed boosters? Use Whimsicott, and pray Megagross isn't carrying Bullet Punch.

Burns:
For them physical sweepers. Sableye can do priority burn. Watch out for Lum Berry, Guts, Magic Bounce, Substitute, or Rest.

Haze / Clear Smog:
Murkrow can do Prankster Haze, other things can do bulky haze. I'm on mobile right now, so I'll fix this later with more viable users.

Priority:
Doesn't work on priority sweepers of course, but if you can kill them before they can kill you, they can't sweep. Why is Dragonite good in every meta :'(

EDIT: Wow there are likeno good haze users. Volcanion, Quagsire, Milotic, Dragonite, Tentacruel, and Blastoise-Mega can Haze. Gengar, Amoonguss, Kingdra, or Chandelure can Clear Smog. Will these be god on these mons? The world may never know.

Phaze:
Rar them out. Watch out for Magic Bounce or just being killed by the powerful sweeper. Negative priority sucks.

Some sweepers that interest me:
SD Dragonite
Nasty Plot / Encore / Nature Power / Attack Whimsicott
DD Darmanitan (burn immune, speed fixed, pairs well with another physical cleaner and something to kill Quaggy)
CroTran
Dragon Dance Kyurem-B is going to be quite anti-anti-meta? Or maybe just anti-meta, I guess stopping set-up sweepers is the meta. Use it. Bulky DD sets, All out sets, Lum, LO etc.
Dragon Dance Excadrill falls into the same basic category.

I feel like Curse should be included. Only boosts 2 stats. Weird for ghosts though.

Last edited:
Does every Pokemon get Growth, and If so, Do they get the double bonus in Sun? I could see a lot of nasty Mega Charizard Y things if it got growth.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Turn 1-Tailwind if slower, Growth other wise
Turn 2-62.5% CHANCE TO OHKO A MAX SPECIAL DEFENSE MEGA SLOWBRO.

Or you could just use Nasty Plot, but that's less fun.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy ->Cosmic power
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Chansey can be a bit more annoying to handle, when every turn it get's it def and spa raised.Another option can be amnesia, which can just stop almost all/all special attackers.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt/Discharge

A similar set exists in OU utilizing Charge Beam, but Calm Mind is better overall. This Magnezone is good at trapping passive Steel types like Skarmory and Ferrothorn and turning them into setup fodder. Calm Mind is better than Charge Beam because it allows you to setup to +6 against the opposing Steel type without knocking them out, and it also makes you harder to revenge kill, while also having more general utility against weaker Pokemon. You can even 2HKO Chansey at +6. And if you're really crazy, you can run HP Grass so no Quagsire can stand in your path.

Azumarill @ Lum Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off/Superpower
- Swords Dance

Swords Dance Azumarill is pretty similar to the Belly Drum set, but with a lot less risk associated. One of the main advantages is that it frees up your moveslot as you don't need to run Sitrus Berry, letting you use a Lum Berry to set up easier against status users, or a damage boosting item like Life Orb or Splash Plate. I think Swords Dance users with priority could be good in this metagame, as they can wallbreak through bulkier teams and pick off the faster Dragon Dance users.

Bibarel @ Life Orb
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return
- Superpower

Bibarel is pretty pathetic on its own, but now it has a decent move to abuse Simple with, which is no joke. After a Dragon Dance, its stats reach levels comparable to that of powerhouses like Garchomp or Terrakion after a Dragon Dance. Water/Normal is pretty good neutral coverage, and Superpower gives you a move to hit Ferrothorn. The main issues with using something like Bibarel are that it's absolutely worthless if it can't set up, it has pretty bad bulk compared to other Dragon Dancers, and it also faces competition from other Water and Normal types, mainly Gyarados and Mega Lopunny. It's definitely a bit gimmicky, but worth mentioning. Bibarel can also use a Swords Dance Quick Attack set, but it seems a bit outclassed, as SD Dragonite, SD Entei, and even SD Linoone outdamage it with Extreme Speed after a boost.

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Calm Mind Heatran seems scary. The ability to trap things it can set up on with Magma Storm in combination with a great boosting move is really good.

OK, running through the list of OU and BL mons to see what could do what:

Amoongus - Wall
Azumarill - Swords Dance and Autotomize are both good options. The former is a great alternative to Belly Drum, the latter lets it outrun Mega Sceptile if running Jolly nature
Bisharp - Already gets Swords Dance, could run Autotomize but X4 weakness to Mach Punch holds it back
Breloom - Most of what I said about Bisharp could also be applied to Breloom. It could run a Poison Heal Dragon Dance set
Chansey - See Amoongus. I guess it could use Defend Order to be a super wall, but it doesn't have space
Charizard X - Already has Swords Dance and Dragon Dance. Autotomize could be used on the Swords Dance set as an alternative to Tailwind I guess
Charizard Y - Nasty Plot gives you incredible power, but where could you fit it? Fire Blast, Focus Blast, Solar Beam and Roost are just too good to pass up
Clefable - Already has Calm Mind, other boosting moves wouldn't work for it
Mega Diancie - Growth can turn it into a fearsome mixed sweeper, Nasty Plot could be used on special sets
Dragonite - Swords Dance is a nice option over Dragon Dance if you need the extra power
Excadrill - Dragon Dance is a better boosting move for it than Swords Dance, as it gets more Speed without needing Sand
Ferrothorn - see Chansey
Garchomp - Finally gets the Dragon Dance it always dreamed of
Mega Gardevoir - Nasty Plot then smash everything
Gengar - Sub + Nasty Plot can demolish teams
Gliscor - Already gets Swords Dance, Rock Polish and Iron Defense, and it can't use them well anyway
Heatran - Nasty Plot could be a nice stallbreaker. Autotomize lets it outrun Mega Alakazam with a Modest nature, or Scarf Terrakion with 188 EVs and Timid
Mega Heracross - Autotomize and Dragon Dance let it negate its low Speed, and with 185 base Attack you're sure to wreck
Hippowdon - See Chansey
Jirachi - Bulk Up could be interesting, it could also resurrect its Superachi! set with Nasty Plot
Keldeo - Nasty Plot is a welcome improvement over Calm Mind
Klefki - More of a support / utility Pokémon
Kyurem-B - Oh wow, this is powerful. Like Diancie can run a mixed set with Growth, or a SubCM set - thanks to Terravolt Ice Beam and Earth Power have perfect neutral coverage
Landorus-T - Dragon Dance is a nice fusion of Swords Dance and Rock Polish
Latias - Iron Defense could be used on the Calm Mind + Stored Power set akin to Musharna in NU
Latios - See Keldeo
Magnezone - Can run Autotomize to tie with Mega Alakazam at +2, or run a SubCM trapper set akin to its old Sub + Charge Beam set in BW
Manaphy - It already gets Tail Glow and Calm Mind
Mega Manectric - Nasty Plot lets it hit really hard
Mega Medicham - Dragon Dance lets it outrun everything without a Scarf, while 100 Attack with Pure Power lets it hit really hard. Swords Dance is an option too, but the extra Speed would be more helpful IMO. Still frail though.
Mega Metagross - Swords Dance on something with 140 base Attack, 110 base Speed, 80/150/110 defenses and Tough Claws? RUN!
Mew - Already had them all anyway, bar Defend Order
Mega Pinsir - Dragon Dance lets you beat faster teams easier
Raikou - See Keldeo
Rotom-W - See Klefki
Mega Sableye - Iron Defence could be used on the Calm Mind set if you don't want to risk Will-O-Wisp missing
Scizor - Dragon Dance I guess.
Serperior - Lol set up on a Contrary mon?
Slowbro - Can run a Trick Room + Nasty Plot set akin to its brother in RU
Starmie - See Manectric
Talonflame - Already gets Swords Dance and Bulk Up, doesn't need Dragon Dance
Tangrowth - Calm Mind could be interesting, as it patches up its low Special Defence
Thundurus - Already has Nasty Plot, doesn't really need anything else
Tornadus-T - Calm Mind and Nasty Plot are interesting options
Tyranitar - Too slow and lack of priority make Swords Dance unviable, already has Dragon Dance and Rock Polish
Venusaur - Calm Mind is interesting, although it lacks coverage
Volcanion - Calm Mind can let it survive a Life Orb Thunderbolt from Thundurus with some bulk, Autotomize lets it outrun everything without a Scarf
Weavile - Already gets Swords Dance, too frail for Bulk Up and doesn't need the Speed of Dragon Dance
Zapdos - Outclassed by Raikou and Thundurus for Nasty Plot, but it could run a bulky Calm Mind set

Some sets:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Baton Pass

Boost with Swords Dance, and KO everything you can. Return and High Jump Kick are the STABs, and have perfect neutral coverage thanks to Scrappy. Then, if your opponent switches in something which can wall you, just Baton Pass the boosts to a teammate.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Growth
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire

Since Mega Diancie has to run a mixed set, Growth's a great boosting move for it. I considered Work Up, but Growth also has the benefit of doubling in the sun. Diamond Storm and Moonblast get STAB, the former 2HKOing Chansey at +1. Earth Power is the more powerful option and OHKOes any Heatran at +1. Hidden Power Fire can hit Ferrothorn, Foretress and Scizor on the switch.

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Refresh / Hidden Power Ground

Classic stallbreaker Pidgeot, now with a way better boosting move. Nasty Plot instantly doubles Pidgeot's already very solid Special Attack. Hurricane gets STAB and won't miss thanks to No Guard, making it very spammable. Roost keeps Pidgeot healthy, another niche over Tornadus-T. Refresh keeps status away, while Hidden Power Ground OHKOes Heatran at +2.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Terravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power / Roost

Calm Mind lets Kyurem boost its Special Attack to huge levels. Substitute creates a window of opportunity by shielding it from weaker attackers like defensive Slowbro. Ice Beam is the STAB move. Earth Power has perfect neutral coverage with Ice Beam thanks to Terravolt (apart from Surskit lol). Roost can be used instead for reliable recovery. EVs let you create 101 HP Subs with max Speed to outrun Landorus-T. The rest is in Special Attack for more power.

Can any Pokemon use Acupressure in this meta? It does boost a stat by +2, after all. I want to know if it was purposefully overlooked, or simply forgotten. How about Rototiller and Magnetic Flux? In single battles they are ostensibly +2 net gain moves, if you satisfy the conditions to use them, and although they are completely irrelevant, I'm asking for completeness' sake. What about Stockpile? Although it increases your stockpile counter, it's basically worse than Cosmic Power, and Autotomize is on the list, another "+2 move with a very minor added effect."

This also got me thinking. Why isn't there a move that raises your Accuracy by two stages? There should be something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)