Seviper (Update)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ssssssssssssssss...rattle rattle

credit for the skeleton and the qc stuff goes to somalia

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/seviper

[Overview]

<p>Let's be honest here, Seviper isn't exactly everyone's first choice for a UU sweeper, but with two base 100 attacking stats and a hugely diverse movepool, the Fang Snake Pokemon can definitely cause some havoc and become a great wallbreaker. Seviper is somewhat frail defensively, but it can survive most neutral STAB attacks, and has resistances to common Grass-, Bug-, and Fighting-type attacks, making it capable of slithering into some niche roles on the average UU team.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Poison Jab
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Aqua Tail
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Seviper's excellent movepool provides it with a wide range of coverage and attacking options, making an all-out attacker set a natural fit for this wicked reptile. Poison Jab is the all-important STAB attack, capable of 2HKOing the pink nuisances Clefable and Chansey. Earthquake punishes Steel-types who think they can switch in for free on Seviper's Poison Jab. Sucker Punch is a nifty option on this set as it remedies Seviper's poor Speed, and is a great way to take out the Ghost- and Psychic-types that pervade UU. Aqua Tail hurts the Ground-types who are resistant to Poison Jab, especially Rhyperior; it's also a good way to eliminate Moltres, who might otherwise be tempted to switch in on Earthquake or Sucker Punch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the obvious item for this set as Seviper appreciates the boost in power and the freedom to switch moves, meaning it can better take advantage of its coverage moves. 212 Speed EVs allow this hissing fiend to outpace Rock Polish Torterra and Rock Polish Aggron, Attack is maximized to capitalize on Seviper's offenses, and the rest is dumped into HP for some bulk. This Seviper is not meant to be played as your average all-purpose wallbreaker, but rather as a Pokemon who softens up the opponent's core in preparation for a teammate's sweep, so it's a good idea to pair it up with late-game sweepers such as Blaziken or Rock Polish Aggron. This Seviper also has trouble breaking through bulky Waters, so it's best to have Venusaur as a teammate to handle the ubiquitous Milotic.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Crunch / Aqua Tail
move 4: Switcheroo
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A fast Seviper is something your opponent won't see coming, and the Choice Scarf set accomplishes exactly that. The element of surprise is further aided by Seviper's wide movepool, making it difficult to predict what attack it's going to throw out next. Poison Jab is a fantastic STAB move that puts huge dents in fragile sweepers who think they can outspeed Seviper. Earthquake shuts down Steels and other Poison-types who like to switch in on a predicted Poison Jab. Crunch deals with Ghost- and Psychic-types, but most Psychic Pokemon are so frail they'll likely get knocked out by Poison Jab anyway. Alternatively, Aqua Tail provides good neutral damage on most foes, and is Seviper's best way of handling Rhyperior and Moltres. In the final slot we have Switcheroo, which passes the Choice Scarf onto the opposing Pokemon, so it's a fine way to ruin bulky walls such as Registeel and set-up sweepers such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs, Jolly nature, and Choice Scarf allow Seviper to outspeed threats such as Dugtrio and Sceptile, so the venomous menace can eliminate them before they can get a hit in. Seviper's ability to cripple an opposing wall with Switcheroo is very unexpected and should not be underestimated, and it's a good idea to pair up this Seviper with Pokemon who can take advantage of a crippled wall and set up; prime examples include Dragon Dance Feraligatr, Dragon Dance Altaria, and Calm Mind Spiritomb.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Seviper has a decent special movepool so a Choice Specs set is viable, with Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse, but keep in mind that most targets in UU are hit harder by Seviper's physical attacks. X-Scissor is another decent physical move that Seviper has at its disposal, but it has redundant coverage with Poison Jab and Sucker Punch. Seviper has some decent support options, including Glare, Knock Off, Haze, Taunt, and Toxic, but its defenses are really nothing to write home about, so a support set on Seviper will always be inferior to just outright attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Seviper has naturally poor Speed and defenses, so it's not too hard to switch your Pokemon in on a resisted attack and threaten to outspeed and KO it. Donphan and Rhyperior can switch in on a predicted Poison Jab and proceed to threaten with STAB Earthquake, but they must watch out for Aqua Tail. Registeel is immune to Poison Jab, and once switched in can begin to support its team or just take Seviper down. Powerful Flying-types such as Swellow and Moltres can switch in on Earthquake and eliminate Seviper with their respective STAB moves of choice; Altaria does likewise and can also choose to set up with Dragon Dance. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Mesprit, Uxie, and Slowbro, can survive Crunch or Sucker Punch and KO back with STAB Psychic. Milotic shrugs off Seviper's assaults with ease, and can wash its poisonous advances away with Surf.</p>

Minor nitpick: On the Mixed Attacker, its HP EV should be 8, not 10.

Maybe mention it can be used under Trick Room as a powerful wall breaker?

Changed and also in Trick Room it will just get outsped by slower Pokemon who it can OHKO easily so I don't think TR is necessary.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yeah Seviper was the biggest disappointment when I was trying everything Trick Room. I wish Seviper was either faster or bulkier, but alas.

You might want to make a mention that Seviper is probably (at least imo) outclassed by Arbok, who is bulkier and faster, and pretty much every other Poison-type.

I would mention Choice Scarf somewhere. I would honestly use that instead of LO, but I haven't used either one so yeah.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely needs Scarf. Modest beats +105s, and Timid beats +120s, so it's fast enough to be decent.

Why can't Seviper function as a wallbreaker without Trick Room? Base 65 Speed and some investment should outspeed many defensive Pokemon, no? Anyway I'd like to suggest Sucker Punch gets a slash on the Mixed Attack set, as priority is quite vital to Seviper's ability to finish off weakened faster threats to him. If Crunch gets a slash, I don't see why Sucker Punch doesn't...

I'd give Screech, X-Scissor, Toxic, Substitute OO mentions..

Agreeing with Yam, I don't see any use for Trick Room and its not like you are using Seviper as your primary sweeper. He outspeeds his fair share of Pokemon such as Torterra and Aggron which he can OHKO provided 1 layer of spikes is down. Yeah I'll add Sucker Punch on the mixed set.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, let's go. Something I noticed on the Mixed set is that, ironically, it really doesn't benefit much from being mixed. Registeel takes more damage from EQ, so does Aggron, Steelix is rarer and can easily shrug a hit off, especially with so little investment, Venusaur takes nearly the same damage from a min SpA Flamethrower and a max Atk Poison Jab; Torterra does take more damage though. With that said, I'd much rather have Sucker Punch there, to rectify Seviper's awful Speed with a very neat priority move that sets it apart from other wallbreakers. It also doesn't run the risk of being setup on by Mismagius and Rotom as Seviper has Poison Jab to break Substitutes. Another change I thought of was an Aqua Tail slash, for Rhyperior, Donphan, Golem (who's that pokemon does he exist?????); as well as other Pokemon that might try funky switch-ins, such as Moltres and Weezing (better hit him with a 90 BP attack than 60...). Long story short, what I have in mind is:

evs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe

Will post about the Choice set, add Scarf and change it to physical (if you agree) when I'm back, as I'm short on time.

Changed the mixed attacker set to the one you provided me with and added Scarf on the Choice set although I would prefer if we could still have a Specially based one.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
I squeezed in some time to test Scarf Seviper more and I really don't know why you would go for a Special set. I really went over the top 40 Pokemon and there seems to be so much more you're hitting with Earthquake, Poison Jab and Aqua Tail / Cunch than with the special set. Going one by one (yeah I'm really bored right now so...):

Absol: doesn't matter
Aggron: Earthquake is better.
Alakazam: Poison Jab / Crunch is better.
Altaria: Poison Jab is better.
Ambipom: Doesn't matter.
Arcanine: Earthquake is better.
Azumarill: Sludge Bomb is slightly better
Blastoise: Sludge Bomb is slightly better
Blaziken: Earthquake is better.
Chansey: Lol.
Claydol: Crunch / Aqua Tail is better.

Skipping all these pokemon and going straight to the top:

Milotic: Doesn't really matter, depends on spread, and Poison Jab only loses if you max Defense.
Venusaur: Flamethrower is better, but Venusaur has more SpD and specially defensive spreads don't really care.
Registeel: Earthquake is better.
Mismagius: Crunch / Aqua Tail is better.
Arcanine: Earthquake is better.
Rotom: Crunch is better, otherwise it doesn't matter much.
Sceptile: Doesn't really matter.
Spiritomb: Crunch / Aqua Tail are better, as most Tombs use SpD.

So yeah, in a nutshell I'd make the scarf set:

evs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe

Ugh, this thing reminds me of Crawdaunt. Except it doesn't get Dragon Dance and it's lone STAB is mediocre at best.

My only advice is to actually run 212 Speed EVs on the All-Out Attacker, since currently you only tie with Jolly Aggron. It doesn't really affect your LO number, so it's a better use of EVs.

Also, Choice Scarf should have 12 Hp EVs with the current spread, not 8. iirc, it doesn't make you SR weak either.

Was the Specs set rejected or still to be added in? If it's rejected, I'd mention Specs in OO with Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower, Giga Drain and Dark Pulse. Meanwhile Sucker Punch and Aqua Tail are already on the main sets so they can be removed from OO. Also note Eon's EV change above.

For counters, I'd add Uxie, Mesprit and Slowbro, they're bulky enough to survive a Crunch and have STAB Psychic. Not sure why you added Espeon, maybe you were relying on Substitute to beat Sucker Punch? If so, Alakazam should be mentioned as well as it does exactly the same as Espeon with Sub.

Now that I think about it, would a support set merit any discussion? Seviper has a few decent support moves. Haze, Glare, Knock Off, Taunt, and Toxic, off the top of my head. It'd at least be worth a passing mention, methinks.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
Yeah I posted it wrong, do run 212 Speed EVs on Seviper and 12 HP on Scarf, thanks for the catches.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i was going to post a new thread with the write-up but oglemi decided to give me the op so ok!

(if i wanted the op i could've done it myself...)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
this is written up and ready for gp checks

oglemi is a noob

Oglemi edit: You forgot the <p> tags for the last two sections noob. /me slaps Fatecrashers around with a large anaconda/boa/cobra

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Let's be honest here, Seviper isn’t exactly everyone's first choice for a UU sweeper, but with two 100 base attacking stats and a hugely diverse movepool, the Fang Snake Pokemon can definitely cause some havoc and become a great wallbreaker. Seviper is somewhat frail defensively, but it can survive most neutral STAB attacks, and has resistances to quite a few commontypes, such as Grass-, Bug-, and Fighting-type attacks, making it capable of slithering into some niche roles on the average UU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Seviper's excellent movepool provides it with a wide range of coverage and attacking options, making an all-out attacker set a natural fit for this Pokemon. Poison Jab is the all-important STAB attack, capable of 2HKOing the pink nuisances Clefable and Chansey. Earthquake punishes Steel-types who think they can switch in for free on Seviper's Poison Jab. Sucker Punch is a nifty option on this set as it remedies Seviper's poor Speed, and is a great way to take out the Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon that pervade UU. Aqua Tail hurts the Ground-types who are resistant to Poison Jab, especially Rhyperior; it's also a good way to eliminate Moltres, who might otherwise be tempted to switch in on Earthquake or Sucker Punch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the obvious item for this set as Seviper appreciates the boost in power and the freedom to switch moves, meaning it can better take advantage of its coverage moves. 212 Speed EVs allow this hissing fiend to outpace Rock Polish Torterra and Rock Polish Aggron, Attack is maximized to capitalize on Seviper's offenses, and the rest is dumped into HP for some bulk. This Seviper is not meant to be played as your average all-purpose wallbreaker, but rather as a Pokemon who softens up the opponent's core in preparation for a teammate's sweep, so it's a good idea to pair it up with late-game sweepers such as Blaziken or Rock Polish Aggron. This Seviper also has trouble breaking through bulky Water-types, so it's best to have Venusaur as a teammate to handle the ubiquitous Milotic.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A fast Seviper is something your opponent won't see coming, and the Choice Scarf set accomplishes exactly that. The element of surprise is further aided by Seviper's wide movepool, making it difficult to predict what attack it's going to throw out next. Poison Jab is fantastic STAB that puts a huge dent in fragile sweepers who think they can outspeed Seviper. Earthquake shuts down Steel-types and other Poison-types who like to switch in on a predicted Poison Jab. Crunch deals with Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon, but most Psychic-types are so frail they'll likely get knocked out by Poison Jab anyway. Alternatively, Aqua Tail provides good neutral damage on most foes, and is Seviper's best way of handling Rhyperior and Moltres. In the final slot we have Switcheroo, which passes the Choice Scarf onto the opposing Pokemon, so it's a fine way to ruin bulky walls like such as Registeel and set-up sweepers like such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs and Jolly nature allow Scarfed Jolly Seviper to outspeed threats such as Dugtrio and Raikou, so the venomous menace can eliminate them before they can get a hit in. Seviper's ability to cripple an opposing wall with Switcheroo is very unexpected and should not be underestimated, and it's a good idea to pair up this Seviper with Pokemon who can take advantage of a crippled wall and set up. Prime examples include Dragon Dance Feraligatr, Dragon Dance Altaria, and Calm Mind Spiritomb.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Seviper has a decent special movepool, so a Choice Specs set is viable, with Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse, but keep in mind that most targets in UU are hit harder by Seviper's physical attacks. X-Scissor is another powerful physical move that Seviper has at its disposal, but has redundant coverage with Poison Jab and Sucker Punch. Seviper has some decent support options, including Glare, Knock Off, Haze, Taunt, and Toxic, but its defenses are really nothing to write home about, so a support set on Seviper will always be inferior to just outright attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Seviper has naturally poor Speed and defenses, so it's not too hard to switch your Pokemon in on a resisted attack and threaten to outspeed and KO it. Donphan and Rhyperior can switch in on a predicted Poison Jab and proceed to threaten with STAB Earthquake, but must watch out for Aqua Tail. Registeel is immune to Poison Jab, and once switched in can begin to support its team or just take Seviper down. Powerful Flying-types such as Swellow and Moltres can switch in on Earthquake and eliminate Seviper with their STAB moves of choice, Altaria does likewise and can begin to set up with Dragon Dance. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Mesprit, Uxie, and Slowbro, can survive Crunch or Sucker Punch and KO back with STAB Psychic. Milotic shrugs off Seviper's assaults with ease, and can wash its poisonous advances away with Surf.</p>

GP 1 / 2

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
Changes in bold
removals in red
Comments in bold red

[Overview]

<p>Let's be honest here, Seviper isn't exactly everyone's first choice for a UU sweeper, but with two base 100 attacking stats and a hugely diverse movepool, the Fang Snake Pokemon can definitely cause some havoc and become a great wallbreaker. Seviper is somewhat frail defensively, but it can survive most neutral STAB attacks, and has resistances to common Grass-, Bug-, and Fighting-type attacks, making it capable of slithering into some niche roles on the average UU team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Seviper's excellent movepool provides it with a wide range of coverage and attacking options, making an all-out attacker set a natural fit for it. Poison Jab is the all-important STAB attack, capable of 2HKOing the pink nuisances Clefable and Chansey. Earthquake punishes Steel-types who think they can switch in for free on Seviper's Poison Jab. Sucker Punch is a nifty option on this set as it remedies Seviper's poor Speed, and is a great way to take out the Ghost- and Psychic-types that pervade UU. Aqua Tail hurts the Ground-types who are resistant to Poison Jab, especially Rhyperior; it's also a good way to eliminate Moltres, who might otherwise be tempted to switch in on Earthquake or Sucker Punch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is the obvious item for this set as Seviper appreciates the boost in power and the freedom to switch moves, meaning it can better take advantage of its coverage moves. 212 Speed EVs allow this hissing fiend to outpace Rock Polish Torterra and Rock Polish Aggron, Attack is maximized to capitalize on Seviper's offenses, and the rest is dumped into HP for some bulk. This Seviper is not meant to be played as your average all-purpose wallbreaker, but rather as a Pokemon who softens up the opponent's core in preparation for a teammate's sweep, so it's a good idea to pair it up with late-game sweepers such as Blaziken or Rock Polish Aggron. This Seviper also has trouble breaking through bulky Waters, so it's best to have Venusaur as a teammate to handle the ubiquitous Milotic.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>A fast Seviper is something your opponent won't see coming, and the Choice Scarf set accomplishes exactly that. The element of surprise is further aided by Seviper's wide movepool, making it difficult to predict what attack it's going to throw out next. Poison Jab is fantastic STAB that puts a huge dents in fragile sweepers who think they can outspeed Seviper. Earthquake shuts down Steels and other Poison-types who like to switch in on a predicted Poison Jab. Crunch deals with Ghost- and Psychic-types, but most Psychic Pokemon are so frail they'll likely get knocked out by Poison Jab anyway. Alternatively, Aqua Tail provides good neutral damage on most foes, and is Seviper's best way of handling Rhyperior and Moltres. In the final slot we have Switcheroo, which passes the Choice Scarf onto the opposing Pokemon, so it's a fine way to ruin bulky walls such as Registeel and setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs, Jolly nature, and Choice Scarf allow Seviper to outspeed threats such as Dugtrio and Sceptile, so the venomous menace can eliminate them before they can get a hit in. Seviper's ability to cripple an opposing wall with Switcheroo is very unexpected and should not be underestimated, and it's a good idea to pair up this Seviper with Pokemon who can take advantage of a crippled wall and set up; prime examples include Dragon Dance Feraligatr, Dragon Dance Altaria, and Calm Mind Spiritomb.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Seviper has a decent special movepool so a Choice Specs set is viable, with Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse, but keep in mind that most targets in UU are hit harder by Seviper's physical attacks. X-Scissor is another powerful (80 BP powerful? ok..) physical move that Seviper has at its disposal, but has redundant coverage with Poison Jab and Sucker Punch. Seviper has some decent support options, including Glare, Knock Off, Haze, Taunt, and Toxic, but its defenses are really nothing to write home about, so a support set on Seviper will always be inferior to just outright attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Seviper has naturally poor Speed and defenses, so it's not too hard to switch your Pokemon in on a resisted attack and threaten to outspeed and KO it. Donphan and Rhyperior can switch in on a predicted Poison Jab and proceed to threaten with STAB Earthquake, but must watch out for Aqua Tail. Registeel is immune to Poison Jab, and once switched in can begin to support its team or just take Seviper down. Powerful Flying-types such as Swellow and Moltres can switch in on Earthquake and eliminate Seviper with their respective STAB moves of choice; (semi-colon) Altaria does likewise and can also choose to set up with Dragon Dance. Bulky Psychic-types, such as Mesprit, Uxie, and Slowbro, can survive Crunch or Sucker Punch and KO back with STAB Psychic. Milotic shrugs off Seviper's assaults with ease, and can wash its poisonous advances away with Surf.</p>

(2/2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)