Seviper

Seviper

------------------------------------
[Overview]

<p>Fitting Seviper on a team is hard. Most Poison-types are selected for their defensive abilities or to dispense Toxic Spikes. Offensive Poison-types usually rely on a secondary typing, but Seviper has it's own perks for offensive use. Although it lacks a powerful secondary typing like Toxicroak, Seviper makes up for that with a great ability, a diverse movepool and decent attacking stats. Seviper still has problems with it's low defenses and speed, but these can be remedied with Coil or a Choice Scarf.
These perks still don't can't make up for it's frailty or lack of useful STAB so it's best not to slap Seviper onto a team for the sake of originality or whatnot. Seviper needs proper support and synergy to work on a team. Otherwise, you've wasted a slot for another team member.</p>

[SET]
name: Snake Coil
move 1: Coil
move 2: Poison Jab
move 3: Earthquake / Crunch / X-Scissor
move 4: Glare / Sucker Punch / Bulldoze
item: Life Orb
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Adamant
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set attempts to put Seviper's new toy, Coil, to good use. Coil simultaneously raises defense, attack and accuracy. This allows you to take some lighter hits and deal some more damage, it also increases Glare's accuracy. Poison Jab is your token STAB move. Earthquake is a reliable move for slot 3, but X-Scissor and Crunch both take out pesky psychics that attempt to switch in. X-Scissor also deals with dark types, but crunch takes out the ghost types. It depends on which your team has more trouble with.</p>

<p>The final slot is your method of outspeeding the opponent. Glare is preferred with the accuracy boost from coil, but if you have no way to counter ghosts then sucker punch may be an option. If you want to deal some damage and still have a speed advantage, then Bulldoze can be used for it's speed lowering. Watch out for Levitating Pokémon or Flying-types if you use it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Seviper appreciates entry hazards, as they help it to ware away at any walls that come in on it.
Examples include:

+1 252 Atk Adamant LO Seviper's Poison Jab vs 252/252 Def Bold Eviolite Chansey: 43.9% - 51.7% (2HKOs with Spikes)
+1 252 Atk Adamant LO Seviper's X-Scissor vs 252/252 Def Bold Cresselia: 44.6% - 52.7% (2HKO with Spikes)
+1 252 Atk Adamant LO Seviper's Earthquake vs 252/0 Def Jolly Cobalion: 80.8% - 95.3% (OHKO with Spikes)
+1 252 Atk Adamant LO Seviper's Earthquake vs 252/4 Def Careful Registeel: 75.3% - 88.5% (OHKO with Spikes)

With 3 layers of Spikes, Seviper can take on many walls and come out in victory. Therefore, Froslass makes a great partner due to her ability to easily dispense layers of Spikes and to Spin Block.</p>

<p>The EVs above are to let Seviper deal out damage, but to outspeed threats after a Glare or Bulldoze. The HP EVs allow Seviper to have a bit of physical bulk after a Coil. If you just want to gain in the offensive boosts, the a spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe may be used.
However, the bulk from the extra HP allows Seviper to take some physical assaults that it would lose without it;

+2 252 Atk Jolly LO Cobalion's Stone Edge vs 120/0 +1 Def Seviper: 70.4% - 82.7%
+1 252 Atk Jolly LO Feraligatr's Waterfall vs 120/0 +1 Def Seviper: 70% - 82.3%
252 Atk Adamant Staraptor's Brave Bird vs 120/0 +1 Def Seviper: 64.7% - 76.7%
252 Atk Adamant Band Azumarill's Waterfall vs 120/0 +1 Def Seviper: 75.7% - 89.3%

Obviously this relies on clear entry hazards, so Hitmontop and Donphan make great partners to Seviper.</p>

About 2 more sets left...

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Well, I think that it should be mentioned that as a Coil user, Seviper is outclassed by Arbok, who sports less Atk but more bulk and Gunk Shot. And you should mention a Choice (Band, Specs and Scarf) and a Trick Room set.

Just my two cents.

Instead of Glare on the Coil Set, you could use Aqua Tail if you wanted to get a stronger hit in on Ground-types. You could also use it on the Mixed-Attacker Set instead of Giga Drain for more damage to Grounds. I also suggest that you run Slime Wave or Sludge Bomb instead of Poison Jab, as you won't be using it much anyway and more power is always nice. That would require a little tweaking of EV's though.

Instead of Glare on the Coil Set, you could use Aqua Tail if you wanted to get a stronger hit in on Ground-types. You could also use it on the Mixed-Attacker Set instead of Giga Drain for more damage to Grounds. I also suggest that you run Slime Wave or Sludge Bomb instead of Poison Jab, as you won't be using it much anyway and more power is always nice. That would require a little tweaking of EV's though.
I forgot about Aqua Tail, let me edit that in.
Slime Wave seems inferior though, it has 5 more base power than Sludge Bomb, but only 10% chance of poisoning. It hits your own pokémon in double/triple battles as well :/

I added a Specs set.

Would a Choice Band set be viable? Poison Jab / Aqua Tail / Crunch/X-Scissor / Earthquake gets pretty good coverage, and Seviper's Attack is equal to its Special Attack.

Also, the Mixed set has four more EVs to play around with. Could those be placed in a defense stat?

Sucker Punch also deserves some mention. While not always reliable, it is Seviper's only form of priority and helps with those psychics it has such a problem with.

While not being the best option I think Rest is worth mentioning with Coil because it gives Seviper recovery and it has a chance of waking up early because of Shed Skin.

RestShed Seviper is outclassed by bulkier Arbok, the only reason that Seviper isn't completely outclassed as a Coil user is because of it's higher attack.

I haven't been online lately, I'll add a CB set and possibly a scarf set later.

EDIT: Added a CB set, Scarf set and gave an update to it in general.

Skeleton completed, awaiting QC.

RestShed Seviper is outclassed by bulkier Arbok, the only reason that Seviper isn't completely outclassed as a Coil user is because of it's higher attack.
Which doesn't mean too much when Arbok's Gunk Shot is much stronger than Seviper's Poison Jab.

Seviper's true advantages over Arbok with Coil is better coverage- X-Scissor, Sucker Punch, Fire Blast and Giga Drain are all very useful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)