1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Shapes of Things to Come: A Little Cup Warstory

Discussion in 'Warstory Archive' started by v, Dec 13, 2008.

1. v

v I'm on your six
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    ULTRA Moderator

It was July 16 of 2008, mid-summer. I was at my Grandparents’ house in Michigan and I was getting ready for Round 2 of the first big LCF Tourney, having won the first round by default. I was still green behind the ears, only having played Pokemon competitively since late June and Little Cup for a week or two. Obviously, since Tenta was one of the more experienced and active members on the forum while I was simply a lowly noob, I didn’t have very high expectations of myself. Little did I know, my unique sets and stranger thought processes would make this a match for the ages, one that would foreshadow the Metagame to come, popularizing Meowth leads, Bellywag and Elekid sweepers, SubKrow even, while still keeping a firm rooting in the Metagame of the day, with SubPunch Gunk and Abra.

My Team At a Glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Opponent’s Team At a Glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Opening up with the power of…Good Sportsmanship!! Not surprised at all at the Fake Out. Fake Out is a staple on Meowth leads. If I’d had a ghost, I would’ve switched to it. I figured that losing Croagunk was nothing major.
    ---
    Here I’d been hoping for a KO on Meowth via Vacuum Wave, since they so frequently switch out with U-Turn. Unfortunately, Tenta outpredicted me. I wasn’t sure what kind of Croagunk he was running, so I decided I’d try to take advantage of his Dry Skin…
    ---
    Ugh. A free sub is never good. Especially when I still don’t know what Gunk he’s running. I have a bad feeling at this point…
    ---
    Magby’s Mach Punch may seem a bit out of place and a stupid move, failing to even 4KO Gunk, but let me explain myself. Croagunk is often a Priority Pokemon who uses moves such as Sucker Punch and Vacuum Wave. Sucker Punch is an OHKO on this Magby from my experience, and I wanted to get a hit in before I died. Well, at least I knew he was a Sub-Puncher now…@-@ Lucky Flame Body means his Gunk isn’t going to be nearly as good.
    ---
    I switch to Croagunk, hoping to take advantage of the fact that he probably isn’t running anything Super-Effective as a Sub-Puncher and Burn is weakening his attack even more.
    ---
    Here, I got a lucky break and my Croagunk, with his 1 HP left, outsped and KO’d with Bullet Punch. The LO recoil took him out, but Meowth would have done so just as easily later on with a Fake Out.
    ---
    D: Poor, poor pointyfish. I was curious as to why he didn’t get Rough Skin recoil, though. Later on I learned Fake Out, like Earthquake and Stone Edge, doesn’t make physical contact.

---
    KO’d trying to Hydro Pump. >_< I didn’t think he’d be carrying U-Turn, since he switched into Croagunk at the beginning, rather than U-Turning. Looking back, that was a stupid assumption since Gunk 4x resists U-Turn and OHKO’s with Vacuum Wave. Unfortunately, since I didn’t use Carvanha, I wasted another Pokemon. I was losing 5-3 at this point, and I needed someone to take out his Gligar before it could Agility for a pass or (heaven forbid) a sweep. I pulled out my ultrafast counter.
    ---
    Elekid! Named for the ex-Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and eventual Avenger staple, his speed is unmatched in the entire metagame, save for Voltorb and Diglett. Ice Punch’s 4x effectivity smacked Gligar for ridiculous damage. In an era where 19-speed Pokes were the norm, this Elekid was a pioneer and symbol for what was to come. 4-3
    ---
    Gross! Meowth’s Fake Outing again. Luckily, with a bit of prediction I was able to avoid the flinch. He had only 19% left, so I prepared to KO…
    ---
    Smart. He didn’t want his Meowth to take another Quick Attack, so he decided Abra would be able to survive and dish back damage. His mistake…
    ---
    TPunch for the win. I had caught up by virtue of my Elekid. It seemed at this point as though Tenta didn’t know that Elekid had 20 Speed, one of only three Pokemon in the whole Metagame to hit that number and one of the prime reasons that he functions so well as a Sweeper. Factor in his awesome Type-Coverage and access to Priority, and it's easy to see why Elekid became so popular further along the line.
    ---
    Krow was now in easy KO range, letting me switch in someone who could OHKO him regardless…
    ---
    Eew…SubKrow…
    ---
    Glorious victory! Truth and justice prevail! With a Salac Boost, I was almost assured a lategame sweep with Anorith…
    ---
    Not surprised. His Meowth is slowly picking off my men, and it’s starting to bother me. I pull out the big guns, with my own custom set. Keep in mind, this battle was long before BellyWag was widely used, making this guy totally unexpected…
    ---
    The Hulk, founding member of the Avengers and uncontrollable mass of rage! Hypnosis shuts down Meowth, and I prepare for my superb victory. I imagine Hypnosis being Bruce Banner giving a boring lecture and putting the opponent to sleep…
    ---
    …before getting pissed and becoming the Hulk. With 19 Speed and 48 Attack, there was nothing Tenta could do. I was prepared to say my gg’s.
    ---
    You don’t like him when he’s angry. Now, I’m thinking I’m going to win. His Meowth is asleep, and I’m in an excellent position with Poliwag.

---
    Whut.

AGH. Meowth wakes up on his second turn of sleep, finishing the game with another Fake Out and knocking me out of the LCF Tourney! If I’d had one more turn of Sleep, Wag would have easily KO’d Meowth and won me the game!

Props:

Meowth for killing almost everything (5/6 Pokemon) on my team with Fake Out
    The Hulk(Poliwag) for getting pissed successfully
    Ant-Man(Anorith) for killing SubKrow
    Quicksilver(Elekid) for evening out the score
    Cap(Carvanha) for trying…:,(
    Tentaintcool for a superb match showing how easily one or two Pokemon can turn a match in LC
    NO HAX

Slops:

Cap(Carvanha) for doing nothing
    Magby for doing nothing
    Thor(my Croagunk) for being totally ineffectual and failing to KO anything beyond his counterpart
    Abra for being even less useful than Cap

I hope you enjoyed it!

For more information on Little Cup, visit The Little Cup Forum
    For some Little Cup battles on the official Little Cup Ladder, visit DougJustDoug's Create-A-Pokemon Server
  2. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Ah, you beat me to it.

Anyway, that was a pretty good warstory all-round. However, I should edit the log a bit if I were you, at least put down the score at the end of the turn or the amount of health (%) or something. Just don't leave the log as it is.

Great work for a second post.
  3. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Wow, Meowth was vicious. That was insane. It was like CB scizor without the getting stuck in one move part. :O
  4. Magik0722

Magik0722

Yeah i used to have a team with both mewoth and aipom and just kept on u turning and fake outing for the majority of my KOs. i really think ghastly should have even more use because of it.
  5. A.P.

A.P.

Great warstory. Considering how pioneering this was, it'll probably be archived. The comments were excellent, as was the font (soothing black). The names got me a little messed up though. Could you fix that?

Technically, Meowth waking up early could be called hax. Just to let you know.
  6. Random Pizzaman

Random Pizzaman

That was a fun warstory, Meowth was vicious(as are most Persian in UU)
  7. Veedrock

Veedrock

Nice warstory. Never seen (or read) a LC match. It's interesting to say the least.

Meowth, wow...good job at putting up a major fight and more or less winning the match.
  8. Sharpteeth

Sharpteeth

Lol, in LC every move becomes so superpowered. But yeah, great warstory, would have been fun if Poliwag actually won though.
  9. sbc

sbc

Close finish and entertaining read good job
  10. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Nice battle and some insightful comments, good job LV!

A few situations could probably have been handled a bit better (Anorith could have taken Fake Outs for a few turns, meaning less sacrifices maybe?), Tenta could have used the turn Elekid KOd itself with LO recoil to get a sub up, if he wanted to be risky. But overall well played by both.

Even now Fake Out Meowth is pretty potent, maybe Protect will become a common filler on leads or other things with spare moveslots? I know I use it on my own Fake-Turn Meowth.

Its always interesting to see how even when you are quite far down in the score a single well played Pokemon that your opponent can't effectively revenge kill can really do a lot of damage in LC. Keeps things interesting :D

Kinda, but with the problem that you can only use your main move on the first turn in battle. Without that it would be extremely hard to beat.
  11. muttonhead

muttonhead

Great warstory, it was a pretty engaging read. I didn't realise Fake-Out was a move that didn't make physical contact o_O, good to know. I love Little Cup warstories!
  12. Terminator

Terminator

Dude that warstory was so win it gave me boners everytime i thought about it.

Bravo, amazing warstory.
  13. Lou Cypher

Lou Cypher

That is very, VERY scary.

Entertaining read, to say the least.
  14. Bologo

Bologo Have fun with birds and bees.
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I am taking some time off a little posting hiatus to give this warstory a huge thumbs up.

There really isn't much I can say that would improve this story. I really liked how you put the log in quotes instead of bolding it, I'm going to try that next time I make a warstory. This story really shows how Little Cup is arguably the hardest metagame out there (at least in my opinion). If you make even 1 wrong prediction, your pokemon won't be living very long. If anyone likes prediction wars, this is the tier to play.

To sum this warstory up in a few words: Brilliance, simply put. *****

I am requesting that this one gets archived, as we don't have any LC warstories in the archive (IIRC), and this one is definitely deserving of it.
  15. Stathakis

Stathakis I hax people in real life
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Field Ranger

this is, indeed, a very cool warstory. basically read bologo's post for a coherent, backed up version of mine. but yea *****
  16. FFMaster

FFMaster

Very nice warstory. Different format was easy to read with little editing, and battle was quite intense. The twist at the end finished off the battle beautifully. Hope to see another warstory from you.
  17. DragonKnight900

DragonKnight900

Great Warstory. Loved reading a LC story and am all excited about maybe jumping into LC myself. Keep up the good work and welcome to Smogon.
  18. Douwe

Douwe

I loved reading it awesome :)
  19. Lightsabre

Lightsabre

very nice! I enjoyed this very much. LC makes me laugh when you think about Fake Out and Quick Attack being powerfull. very nice
  20. v

v I'm on your six
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    ULTRA Moderator

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone! I'd like to give credit for the formatting idea to Acredula (yes, Metang@ Acredula), who used it first in his/her Warstory and I just couldn't resist using it. I didn't edit the nicknames out since I think it adds a bit of personality. I have the score where it matters, I think.

I also used this team earlier today and it still worked! :) Except Magby is off for Meowth...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)