1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

shark salon (looking for requests/suggestions; livestream : off)

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by sharkstache, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Doran Dragon

Doran Dragon

oh dang bro, id love to see what you could do with an exploud and/or whismur *hinthint*

Lovely artwork dude, keep on keeping on
  2. IceSpade

IceSpade

You have some seriously amazing art!
    I request a super-cool Golurk please. :P
  3. Raichoice

Raichoice

your art is SO good, im siting here and my eyes are like O_O
  4. Furosuto

Furosuto

Wow, a little late to the party, but wow, amazing stuff you've got here! I like the style a lot, it has a flair of uniqueness in it, something which is nice to get here and there......

There isn't much for a guy like me to critique on skill wise, but with Ludicolo, it's left arm seems a bit too short compared to it's right arm, and the Buizel's snout almost makes it look like a reptillian of sorts... But really, this stuff is superb man!

I was wondering, if you have spare time if you'd be able to draw a vigoroth in that style? If you can't, that's fine, but if you can, then I would really love it! Keep it up!
  5. VN.

VN. the birds pt. 1
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

These are seriously amazing, I love your art style, it's so vibrant and distinct. Would give anything for your skills x)

Also if you could do a Mismagius that would be awesome :o
  6. sharkstache

sharkstache

haha im back guys; had a lot of school stuff to do ;)
    and thanks for all the compliments guys. luv luv you all; you're all too nice

and@Furosuto; thanks for the crit! someone else also commented how buizel's snout looks reptilian (prollybecauseidrawdragonstoomuch) , and i noticed ludicolo's arm lengths after i submitted aha.

anyways here's to finishing work in order to have time to draw
    yeeee (im jumping around requests ;c); this one was done with all solids and no textures for a change. is there anyway to notify Mafeking that i drew his request?
    [​IMG]
  7. Mafeking

Mafeking channels his inner Wolverine
    is a Contributor Alumnus

hnnnnnnnnngh

don't worry

I saw it

oh my god it's so beautiful ;~;
  8. Windsong

Windsong .dancin
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

holy shit.

i almost never check the art forums but I was just stumbling around and happened upon this, and I gotta say, this work is absolutely exquisite. Some of the most beautiful artwork I've seen on these forums, without a doubt.
  9. Nova

Nova
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

damn that's amazing, love your style
  10. Shirley

Shirley

I love the coarse "carved" feel of the brush you use - is it a custom texture/brushhead? Personally I only ever use chalk with nothing on, although I occasionally use wet edges for blending.
  11. sharkstache

sharkstache

thanks for the words guys^ <3
    and Shirley, i think i just dual brushed a regular flat brush with a leaf texture? im not too sure, it's been in my brush set for a long time lol

im ditching my texture brushes though; i'll be using normal brushes so i can get the basics down first. using texture brushes from the beginning feels like cheating to me haha

here's my first try at painting with no texture brushes at all (i dont consider the altaria as one because it was just solid colors and no blending)
    garchomp for Novaray [jumpingaroundagaintodrawfavoritepokemon]

i saw the deep magenta and dark blue combo today when i looked at the skies today and wanted to try it out. it works prettyyyyy well
    [​IMG]
    edit:before

edit: furk, the water splash was a texture brush LOL
  12. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

can't believe I haven't favourited this yet

your style is nothing short of AMAZING
  13. Shirley

Shirley

I was in that mindset for the longest time when I started - I had this HARD ROUND BRUSH ONRY CASUALS PLS GO. My teachers SUGGESTED it to me because it'd help with not being over-reliant on opacity (now known as transfer), but I took it waaaay overboard.

Eventually I moved to standard chalk texture and stuck to it - mainly because it resembles a standard hard hair brush the most. Nowadays I only use that, and something called "Viagnuage" for smoke/cloud textures.

As most of em say, it's not really about the tools - using the tools themselves are not a problem, it's only when said usage becomes a reliance, and then dependency. That's always bad for any medium, analog or digital.

I like the piece overall, but I feel that the flow of chompy's body can be accentuated a bit more. The flow is nice from the tail and up, but around the torso it gets a bit stretched out, and then after that it kind of falls into a straight line. If you don't mind me saying - isn't garchomp a shark? For some reason his snout reminds me of more canine-esq features. Was that intentional?
  14. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

When is glacy coming? ;_;
  15. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene ♪~ i don't want to know what she did; she is not who i am ~♪
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

I don't want to burden you with requests, but may you draw a Salamence?

Luvdisc'd this thread with great honor.
  16. GlassAbsol

GlassAbsol

For a more interesting request. Could you either paint something based on the concept of Absol, so you have free reign to decide what that would entail, or an awesome evolution.

Or if you just want to do an absol aswell, that would be super :)
  17. sharkstache

sharkstache

oh my god yilx ily you're amazing e_o
    i wish i had the patience and skills like you to draw something allround refined; i always get lazy and/or can't figure out what to do and leave it messy haha

@shirley, i became wayyyyyyyyyyyyYyy too reliant on texture brushes and it definitely became a dependency hurhur. and shet, thanks for pointing out gahchomp's body flow, i forgot to skew it after the arm blocked the curve lol. i meant for the body to be elongated but not that awkwardly; i made his neck fatter to balance it out sort of. and yeah that snout was intentional, he's my cutelittle dragonsharkdog <3

@alice, idk probably really last because i really dislike glacion c:

and yeap guys dont worry about stacking up requests, i'll take them down overtime haha
  18. Alice

Alice The worst taste in music

oh well if that's the case feel free to drop it, no harsh feelings =)
  19. sharkstache

sharkstache

haha lol no, i'll still do it :p
    i'm just not a fan of the eveelutions and drawing canines because their bodies are so weird to pose .-.

butttt im keeping a commitment and drawing errthing heh
  20. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

I've never requested art before, but I would love to see what you would come up with for Mew :)
  21. col49

col49 unpolished
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

I can't say that I'm a regular on art forums, but I'm glad that I chose now to lurk, because this is really damn cool !_!

Also, if you could find the time, I would love if you could draw Amoonguss =)
  22. MCBarrett

MCBarrett i love it when you call me big hoppa
    Mentor

Usually don't check out the art thread but this is some pretty awesome stuff! Luvdisc'd!

Anyways, since you're taking requests I'd like to see you try a torkoal. I think your style would fit it really well
  23. Nova

Nova
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

haha thank you so much man, that garchomp is amazing! excellent, unique style

can't believe I didn't luvdisc before but doing it now
  24. Montezuma II

Montezuma II

Holy crap man, you're pretty amazing. Just saying. I know you might be overwhelmed with drawing all these requests, but could you draw a picture of the og Charizard in all of his glory? As long as stealth rocks and rocks in general are out of sight, I have nothing too specific to ask for in the piece :]. Just think Charizard would look really cool when it's drawn by you.
  25. sharkstache

sharkstache

crap, i'm such a horrible person.
    i'm back, sorry for the sudden departure </3

purugly for ritter
    [​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)