1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

sharperdo's storm

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by jidan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jidan

jidan

sharpedo's storm

Hi guys,
    sorry for my english but it isn't my native speaker.

BUILDING PHASE:
    The star of my team is sharpedo becouse of it's cool and dangerous with his speed boost than i put thundurus-t for the sinergy with my shark; to increase the power of this 2 pkmn i use polided and to advantage the sweep of sharpedo i chose ferrothorn that it puts hazzard
    Cruel as rapispinner e fightresistor, his rain dish is very good and in the end gengar that pressure the opponent and for is antispinner function.

[​IMG]
    Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Perish Song
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Politoed is my summoner, it favors the sweep of Sharpedo.
    I chose the set Scarfer because the team needed more speed and with Perish Song can stop the Sweep of some Pokemon.
    The double STAB for accuracy.
    [​IMG]

Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall

After same Hazard the oppo team is worn and sharpedo enters and destroys all that it finds.
    2 STAB very useful.
    Aqua jet for priority on bpunch and mpunch and it is cool.
    Earthquake for a good coverage.
    [​IMG]
    Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald

Tentacruel is my favorite antispinner that thank to rain and black sludge it recover some hp.
    Scald STAB for burn and subtoxic to prevent status and it annoying opposite team.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Seed Bomb

It favors the sweep of Sharpedo thanks to Hazard.
    Set Standard except for SeedBomb, that I put because Power Whip missed often.. too often.

[​IMG]
    Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunder
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus-T in the rain is pretty cool cause ability absorb electricmoves.
    Set standard Scarfer in a rain team. I've tried more set but this is best.

[​IMG]
    Gengar (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Thunder
    - Substitute

Gengar serves as antispinner and puts pressure on the opposing team.
    I chose the set SubAttacker because Toxicroack is dangerous for my team.
  2. Alexander.

Alexander.
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey there and welcome to Smogon!

At first, I found a weakness to Magnezone, mainly the Substitute one. It can setup on your Ferrothorn and destroy your team easily, to fix that, I'd use Shed Shell in place of Leftovers on Ferrothorn. Then, I'd change the Sharpedo's EV spread to 252 Atk / 172 Def / 84 Spd. This EV spread is useful to take the priority moves (Scizor's Bullet Punch and Terrakion's Quick Attack, for example) better. Now, with this EV spread, Sharpedo don't need Aqua Jet, that can be substituted by Protect that's useful to have a easy boost in speed thanks to Speed Boost. Finally, I'd change the Politoed's set to a defensive one because you have already Thundurus-T as revenge killer and because in this team defensive Politoed can be helpful to take some hits (you haven't switch-in on Tyranitar, for example). That's all, hope I helped, good luck :)

Politoed set:

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
  3. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

Hi there ^^
    I've used a lot Sharpedo in the past, and i must say its quite beastly, if used right. Here you have a phisical set, but in my opinion the mixed set is the best set. A set of hydro pump / crunch / Ice beam / Protect is what i would recommed. I prefer the mixed one because hydro pump hits ridicolously hard and its a better wallbreaker with these moves. The difference between his special atk and atk is not that much if you consider that hydro pump has 270 base power under rain and Waterfall only 180. Ice beam here hits hard grass and dragon types that tries to wall you, while crunch its still a good move to hit water types, Latios and Blissey, meaning that you will have an easier time to sweep. Protect is for checking scarfed pokemon and to became more fast than it thanks to speed boost. Also, I wouldnt call Earthquake "good coverage" anyway, it does not hit anything relevant bar jirachi, which takes anyway many damages from the water stab. Aqua jet will fail to ko any common priority user, like Breloom, Scizor, so i wouldnt use it anyway.

Just a little nitpick Shadow ball+Focus blast already hits everything so thunder is not necessarely needed on gengar, and since you are using life orb and Substitute you are going to die very quickly; for this reason i think you should use the standard Pain split instead of it, so that you can recover and stay alive longer. It also helps quite a bit against stall teams and blissey in general, because you can ppstall her with Pain split.

Set:
    Show Hide
    Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 104 Atk / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Crunch
    - Protect

Thunder > Pain split

4. jidan

jidan

thx guys for reating

defensive polited is ok and olso pain split gengar.. but i don't understand well the shark.. ok protect e hydro pump but aqua jet is useful to pkmn that have priority +1 as scizor lucario infernape.. if i'm +6 vel without aqua jet i had to switch instead con rain + aqua jet and oppo pike not max hp(for hazzard and/or others damages) i kill them no??
  5. Jimbon

Jimbon fools and worthless liars
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi there,

Cool Rain Team you got here, Sharpedo is really underrated in this metagame given the prevalence of Rain, so props for that. Anyway, the main thing I see with this team is that you're currently quite weak to some of the threats in this metagame, namely Breloom who looks very annoying, as it can easily pick off Ferrothorn and Sharpedo and even get rid of Thundurus-T and Politoed when they're weakened. One way to deal with this would be to try out a Life Orb Tornadus-T over your current Thundurus-T as they perform similar roles. A moveset of Hurricane / U-Turn / Sleep Talk / Focus Blast or Superpower would work well, along with a moveset of 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe. This gives you a better answer to Breloom as you can switch in on Spore and hit Breloom through Sleep Talk, while even if Breloom Swords Dances as Tornadus-T switches in, it will not die to a +2 Mach Punch thanks to Tornadus-T's marginally better defenses. Just like Thundurus-T, you have momentum via U-Turn, while I think Tornadus-T does much better at clearing the way for Sharpedo than Thundurus-T does, as you're not constantly having to switch out due to being locked into a move and racking up more Stealth Rock damage, two problems that Thundurus-T doesn't face.

As mentioned before, I think you should try Protect somewhere on Sharpedo, but I'd advise keeping the same moveset and EV spread unlike the others have suggested. I don't think there's a need to compensate your EVs and moveset for the sake of going mixed, especially when Sharpedo right now is your only physical attacker and going mixed kind of limits your ability to break through Special Walls easily, not to mention you already have like 3 other Special Attackers to beat Physical Walls that Sharpedo cannot break through. But yeah, you definitely want Protect somewhere on your set, probably over Aqua Jet as after a Protect you will have enough speed to the point where you don't need priority anymore. Given the fact you have a reliable and durable spinner in Tentacruel, you can afford to scout with Protect and switch in and out without having to worry about hazards, as long as you can spin safely.

Looking over your Ferrothorn set, I think you could modify it slightly to make it work better. While your current set might maximize your defenses, I think you'd be much better off running a set of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef. If you go with Tornadus-T over Thundurus-T, you lose some of your ability to beat Tornadus and in turn you're fully reliant on Politoed to revenge it. Making Ferrothorn Specially Defensive means you will always beat it one on one, and you gain the ability to buffer Scalds and Volt Switches much more easily. You already have Tentacruel to deal with the Physical Attackers, so in turn this Specially Defensive set will make your defensive core much stronger. You may also want to try out Thunder Wave somewhere too, given that Ferrothorn forces a hell of a lot of switches thanks to its excellent defensive typing, and you can easily catch a faster attacker on the switch and cripple it.

Also, I think you should keep Thunder on Gengar. Right now, you seem to have troubles against opposing Tentacruel, as it can pretty much switch into anything on your team and live any one hit apart from Thundurus-T's Thunder, and chances are you won't be locked into Thunder as it switches in. Thunder on Gengar allows it to remove Tentacruel pretty easily as Gengar can spinblock your hazards, keeping them on the field. This is important because Sharpedo is reliant on hazards to sweep and break through certain Pokemon, and your Ferrothorn is running double hazards so you'll want to keep them up. Without Thunder, I feel like you're going to have a very difficult time against Tentacruel, so I'd advise keeping it despite the fact that Pain Split does have some uses.

Good luck!
  6. Neliel

Neliel Sacred Sword

Actually, these are the damage against Scizor and Breloom

372 Atk VS 236 Def and 343 HP (60 Base Power): 89 - 105 (25.94% - 30.61%) vs Scizor
    372 Atk VS 196 Def and 262 HP (60 Base Power): 53 - 63 (20.22% - 24.04%) Vs Brelom

As you can see it does nothing so its pointless. Infernape its quite inesistent in this meta, and i've never found one with Mach punch. Lucario and Dragonite have Extremespeed which is priority+2 so it hits first anyway. Conkeldurr takes nothing from aqua jet, so its the same as scizor.
  7. Eranu

Eranu

Hey, I got your request.

First off, the set your Sharpedo runs now isn't right. With speed boost, Sharpedo really doesn't need Aqua Jet. Using Protect > Aqua Jet allows Sharpedo to get a guaranteed speed boost, making it easier for it to sweep. Another small change is putting Power Whip > Seed Bomb on Ferrothorn. Power Whip allows you to break a lot of subs that Seed Bomb doesn't, for example Gyarados's sub. Gyarados looks very threatening so a way to force it out outside of revenging with Thundurus-T looks necessary.

Running a physical set on Sharpedo, you need your team to take care of certain walls / priority users. Mainly Ferrothorn and Breloom need to be checked. At the same time your team struggles to take out special walls like Chansey / Blissey. A solution could be replacing Gengar with Toxicroak. You lose your spin blocker which is annoying, but Toxicroak easily take care of Ferrothorn and Breloom (if something else but your Toxicroak is asleep) and revenge kill with the appropriate move. I don't see Thundurus-T + Gengar as checks to them both as Focus Blasts are easily predictable and Gengar can be OHKO'd by both Gyro Ball and Bullet Seed. Dealing with Toxicroak shouldn't be so much of a problem either. Just Perish Song with Politoed and switch to Tentacruel forcing it to switch or die. Another way is to just Protect with Sharpedo and KO with Earthquake afterwards as Sucker Punch will do very little damage.

This change does open you up to a LO Landorus weakness though. But as long as you keep Stealth Rocks off your side of the field Thundurus-T can live any hit and revenge kill with Hidden Power [Ice]. Politoed is also able to live any hit and revenge it after. I do think the change is worth it since Landorus has a really hard time setting up on your team seeing as how 5/6 members can OHKO it with the right move and Ferrothorn can deal a lot of damage up to the point where Sucker Punch does the rest.
    Hope I helped. Good luck !

~Sets:
    Show Hide
    Toxicroak (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Sucker Punch
    - Cross Chop

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)