Shaymin (Analysis)

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is now done!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

QC Checks - 1/3 PK Gaming, 2/3 Bloo, 3/3 Bad Ass
GP Checks - 1/2 Wekhter, 2/2 Erebyssial (Aeron Ee1 did an extra one...)(so did Calm_Pokemaster)(so did zdrup15...)

[Overview]

<p>Shaymin is one of the few Pokemon that can effectively take on the role of a bulky Grass-type. However, with competition from Celebi and Ferrothorn, Shaymin often finds itself in a difficult position when looking for a teamslot. Ferrothorn is blessed with an excellent secondary Steel typing, along with support moves such as Spikes and Stealth Rock,
while Celebi boasts reliable recovery in Recover, boosting moves in Nasty Plot and Calm Mind, and a great Fighting-type resistance. Fortunately, Shaymin can gain back some ground on its competitors by having no added weaknesses from a secondary typing, and access to STAB Seed Flare, a move that it greatly benefits from. Shaymin can run a variety of sets, including offensive sets with a Life Orb and Rest, which in conjunction with Natural Cure offers great recovery. Shaymin can also run a more bulky set with Leech Seed, which allows it to slowly drain the HP of foes that could have otherwise outlasted it.</p>

<p>On the whole, Shaymin is a great Pokemon in today's metagame, as it handily deals with a heap-load of rain and sandstorm teams, bringing key resistances to
Water-, Ground-, and Electric-type attacks to the table. This makes Shaymin more than viable for a teamslot, and when used correctly, it can be a great asset to a team that struggles against such threats.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Seed Flare
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Rest / Leech Seed
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Timid
ability: Natural Cure
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With STAB Seed Flare and great bulk, Shaymin makes a fantastic offensive tank. Being able to switch into the various bulky Water-types that plague the metagame, as well as counter some prominent threats such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar, make Shaymin a great choice for a teamslot. Shaymin also has an often overlooked base 100 Speed stat, which allows it to outspeed and threaten a large portion of the metagame, including Heatran, Gyarados, and some Jirachi.</p>

<p>Seed Flare provides great STAB, and the 40% chance to cause a Special Defense drop can sometimes allow Shaymin to beat a few of its usual counters. Earth Power is to hurt the Steel-types that resist Seed Flare, while also giving Shaymin the ability to lure in and KO non-Air Balloon Heatran. Beware of Choice Scarf variants though, as they will outspeed and KO Shaymin before it can hit back. Hidden Power is the best move in the third slot, rounding out the coverage. Hidden Power Fire allows Shaymin to deal with the pesky Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that will completely wall this set without it,
while Hidden Power Ice can be used instead to lay the hurt on Dragon-types, as well as Gliscor and Landorus. Finally, Shaymin needs to run a recovery move, and Rest is usually the best option, as it will fully heal Shaymin and the induced sleep will be negated when Shaymin switches out. Leech Seed is a viable alternative, as not only does it heal Shaymin, but it also drains the opponent's HP.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Shaymin can use Synthesis in the last slot to gain some "reliable" recovery, but due to the prevalence of sandstorm and rain in OU, Shaymin is better off with either Rest or Leech Seed unless you are running a sun team. Growth can also be used for a Special Attack boost, but Shaymin lacks the necessary Speed to sweep through teams, as it is easily outsped and KOed by common revenge killers such as Terrakion, Latios, and Hydreigon. Even under the sun, Growth Shaymin is outclassed by Venusaur, as with Chlorophyll, Venusaur can outspeed many potential revenge killers. Shaymin can utilize Leftovers over Life Orb for a little more staying power, but Shaymin then loses the great power that a
Life Orb-boosted Seed Flare can supply. Finally, a Modest nature and more HP EVs can make Shaymin a bulkier and more powerful sweeper, but it then loses to Pokemon with base 100 Speed, something which Shaymin cannot afford to do.</p>

<p>When looking for viable teammates to support Shaymin, one should put it in an offensive Fire / Water / Grass core. This allows Shaymin to have its weaknesses covered, whilst being able to take down the bulky Water-types that can cause trouble for the other two. Heatran is a great partner for the Fire-type slot, as it can take a few hits due to its great natural bulk and hit back extremely hard thanks to its base 130 Special Attack stat. A Water-type that will fit well with Shaymin needs to be able to take down the Fire-types which trouble Shaymin (and Dragon-types if Shaymin lacks Hidden Power Ice) as they can set up at their leisure. Jellicent and offensive Suicune are good examples; Jellicent can wall almost any Fire-type and has Ice Beam to deal with
Dragon-types, while Suicune does the same and can set up on Heatran without breaking a sweat. Finally, a Steel-type is a good Pokemon to pair with Shaymin, as although they share a Fire-type weakness, Steel-types can switch into the Dragon-types that like to switch into Shaymin. A great example is Skarmory, who has no problem dealing with Dragonite and Salamence once they are locked into Outrage, and it can also help out against some Latios with a specially defensive spread.</p>

<p>On the offensive side, Pokemon that can sweep after bulky Water-types are removed, such as Salamence and Empoleon, also make great teammates. Finally, Shaymin appreciates entry hazard support, as it often forces switches. Skarmory and Ferrothorn are perfect examples of Pokemon that can provide such support.</p>

[SET]
name: Leech Seed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Protect / Substitute
move 3: Seed Flare
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Earth Power
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 76 SpA / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shaymin makes a great abuser of the SubSeed strategy
thanks to its great bulk and STAB Seed Flaredealing significant damage to any Pokemon switching in. Leech Seed defines the set, and with Protect or Substitute, Shaymin is able to last for a very long time whilst slowly sapping away the opposing Pokemon's HP. Shaymin can also provide an added buff against the ever-so-common rain and sandstorm teams that plague the metagame, as its Grass typing gives it super effective coverage against Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types as well as key resistances to Water- and Ground-type attacks.</p>

<p>Substitute and Leech Seed create the SubSeed combination that almost every Grass-type can run, allowing Shaymin to endlessly drain away HP from opposing Pokemon. Seed Flare is Shaymin's STAB move of choice, which hits hard even with a small investment due to its great 120 Base Power. Shaymin's last moveslot provides coverage to complement Seed Flare. Hidden Power Fire is to hit Steel-types, most importantly Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory. Hidden Power Ice provides great coverage on Dragon-types such as Dragonite, Latios, Latias, and Salamence ,
while also giving Shaymin a way to hit Grass-types that are immune to Leech Seed. Finally, Earth Power is a somewhat viable option, as it too has super effective coverage on Steel-types, most importantly Heatran, who is almost the perfect counter to Shaymin without it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This Shaymin can make use of Giga Drain over Seed Flare for some extra recovery, but the drop in power is very significant due to the low investment in Shaymin's average Special Attack stat. Shaymin is also able to use a bulkier EV spread, but due to its many common weaknesses, this is usually outclassed by Ferrothorn, which has many extra resistances to
use to its advantage. Finally, Shaymin could be turned into a more offensive Leech Seed user, but this role would probably be better occupied by Whimsicott, whose ability, Prankster, gives priority to its support moves, such as Taunt and Stun Spore.</p>

<p>When using Shaymin, it should almost definitely be used in a Fire / Water / Grass core as it provides the resistances that are key for the other two. If it is not included in one of these
defensive cores, it is usually outclassed by Ferrothorn, who has access to extra support options such as Spikes and Stealth Rock. Some Pokemon that work well with this Shaymin are generally more defensively inclined, so Pokemon such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Gyarados work well as the Water-type partner, whilst Heatran is generally an excellent partner for the Fire-type slot. These Pokemon can also help to counter Pokemon that can set up on Shaymin. For example, Shaymin without Hidden Power Ice is setup bait for Latios, who is taken care of by specially defensive Heatran. Defensive Gyarados can come in on a Salamence that has set up on Shaymin, Intimidate it, and then Roar it away so that it takes entry hazard damage. All in all, Shaymin's teammates should be able to wall and help out against the beastly offensive threats that can come in against it, lest Shaymin becomes a burden for the team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>In general, Shaymin lacks many other effective options outside of those listed. A Choice set is viable; however, being locked into Seed Flare is not usually a good option as Pokemon such as Thundurus, Tornadus, and Dragonite can easily come in and start firing off strong STAB attacks. A Swords Dance set could also be used, but Shaymin lacks a broad physical movepool, and as such is not usually the best option for the hedgehog. Finally, Shaymin can run a support set, as it does pack the incredibly rare Aromatherapy, but it is often seen as outclassed by other supporters such as Blissey, Jirachi, and Vaporeon
, as they can offer more support for teams on the whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Heatran will completely destroy any Shaymin
lacking Earth Power, as it 4x resists Seed Flare and is not troubled by any other attacks besides Leech Seed. Also, if Heatran carries an Air Balloon, it can even beat Shaymin that do pack Earth Power, as Shaymin will have to take one turn popping the Air Balloon whilst it gets roasted with a super effective STAB Fire Blast. Other Fire-types will also have an easy time coming in on Seed Flare in order to fire off powerful STAB attacks, such as Darmanitan, Infernape, and Ninetales. Dragon-types resist Seed Flare as well, so Pokemon such as Dragonite, Latios, Latias, and Salamence can all come in and begin to set up against Shaymin if it isn't carrying Hidden Power Ice. Finally, any Pokemon with Taunt and a resistance to Grass-type moves can come in and wreck Leech Seed sets, as Shaymin is without a way to damage any of these Pokemon switching in.</p>

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. I have a couple of ideas, but shaymin hasn't changed much.

Quick note, the only difference between the formes' level up movepools are synthesis, aromatherapy and healing wish for land forme and quick attack, air slash and leaf storm for skymin. No breeding, and the TM list is tiny...

Earth Power is a 4th gen tutor move, but with no egg moves or hidden ability, It doesn't matter.

The sets already onsite are pretty good. Shaymin can't do much else.

You could run a swords dance set. Seed bomb, return/headbutt/zen headbutt/quick attack and rest. I don't use shaymin much though, sorry.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't input a Swords Dance Shaymin set. It's horribly walled by so many Steel-types (especially Nattorei and Skarmory), and even if it goes mixed, it can't hit hard enough to warrant enough damage. It was rejected in the fourth generation for pretty fast, easy reasons.

Inasfar as the sets go, you should just list the standard sets, wait for QC to aprrove "new sets". Shaymin's standard sets are all very good by themselves.

No mention of a support set?

Shaymin@Leftovers
Bold; 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe

HP Fire
Aromatherapy
Seed Flare / Grass Knot
Leech Seed / Synthesis

Shaymin lacks a weakness to fighting and sports a ground resist over Ferrothorn, while it lacks the Ghost-, Dark-, and additional Bug-type weaknesses that plague Celebi. Aromatherapy is good for cleric support, recovery in the last slot, HP for select targets, and either powerful STAB or reliable STAB.

elDino

Deal With It.
@ IcyMan28 To be honest, it's just completely outclassed by Celebi as it has so many more options that are more effective. Moreover, it is actually mentioned in the Optional Changes if anyone decides to use it so...

Bloo

Banned deucer.
I like Shaymin; it's pretty good versus the sand / rain teams that are all the rage at the moment. There isn't much else this little guy can do, and you've covered everything thoroughly. As such, I'll go ahead and give you my approval! Good job.

QC APPROVED (2/3)

What's wrong with Choice Specs? I tend to find myself spamming Seed Flare (which is the big reasons to use Shaymin) anyways, and the lack of Life Orb damage is a bonus with Shaymin's good bulk.

And I agree with Icy. Celebi has Thunderwave, a Pursuit weakness that calls for U-Turn, and Recover (while Rest is also extremely viable on a Natural Cure user). Shaymin's got an awesome STAB in Seed Flare and less weaknesses.

Plus, Shaymin's fucking adorable.

-Zane

breh

強いだね
I apologize for necrobumping such an old thread, but I've been using Shaymin for a while and would like to say a bit about it:

[SET]
name: Bulky Offense
move1: Seed Flare
move2: Earth Power
move3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move4: Rest / Leech Seed
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

As one looks at this set, he or she may think, "What's the difference between this and the offensive set?" Well, the main difference is in the EVs. With them, Shaymin is more able to focus on defense and becomes nearly 20% bulkier. The speed that it loses is almost negligible - there aren't that many important pokemon in the speed tier between max and min speed. Even better, it also allows Shaymin to take far less from Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (in fact, it takes roughly 60% of the original percent, assuming that Ferrothorn does not have a 0 IV in Speed).

The best part about Shaymin is that nobody knows what to do against it. I switch it in against Rotom-W and go from there. Unless the opponent switches in a Lati@s or a Dragonite, it wreaks havoc. In addition, 2HKOing Ferrothorn out of Rain roughly 1/3 (Seed Flare hits and SpD drops) of the time when you mispredict is something that no other pokemon can claim. Basically, Seed Flare hits surprisingly hard and has one of the best side effects in the game. This alone makes it worth using over Celebi (who has to resort to weak moves or ones with shitty side effects).

I second that set, it works like an offensive Celebi without having to switch out from the Leaf Storm SAtk drop. With just max HP Shaymin/Celebi can survive Ice Beams from Ludicolo and Kingdra.

elDino

Deal With It.
Sorry guys, you just need to get this approved to the QCers, and it's more or less the same as the offensive set, except the EVs. If it gets accepted, I'll add it into additional comments but, its not worth a new set due to the similarities

i second the set the dude with the omastar avatar posted. It works really, really well in the metagame, but I tend to run a couple more EVs in speed for Gliscor

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there any reason why we can't just mention it on the offensive set, you know, something along the lines of:

"Shaymin can also invest in bulk, allowing it to switch more freely into attacks and dish out lots of damage. An EV spread of 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe* can serve this purpose nicely, allowing Shaymin to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar."

Done.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to throw in my support for breludicolos bulky offense set too. I've been using it for a couple of days now, and DAMN it's good. I wasn't expecting it to hit so hard and take attacks so well. It's surprisingly effective for such a cute little thing.

And seed flare..... jesus.

I've been using leftovers, rest and HP fire, with some speed EVs to outpace other min speed base 100s. The set deserves to be separate from the offensive one because it deserves the distinction. Shaymin is underused enough that most people will just opt for an offensive 252/252 timid set to abuse seed flare, but the defensive investment gives it the bulk needed to use support options, rest and also wallbreak with seed flare quite well.

I'd argue that the bulky set is better than the timid 252 version. What is shaymin going to do with the extra speed anyway?

Would anyone else support replacing the offensive set with the bulky offense set? (Specifically, replace the timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe spread with the modest 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe one?

elDino

Deal With It.
Sorry guys, you just need to get this approved to the QCers, and it's more or less the same as the offensive set, except the EVs. If it gets accepted, I'll add it into additional comments but, its not worth a new set due to the similarities
Suggest to QC, not me, since this analysis has already been QC approved.

[Checks and Counters]

<p>If Shaymin is without Earth Power, Heatran it will completely destroy Shaymin as it 4x resists Seed Flare and Shaymin is unable to hit it with anything hard. Also, if Heatran carries an Air Balloon, it can even beat Shaymin that do pack Earth Power, as Shaymin will have to take one turn popping the Balloon whilst it gets roasted with a STAB Fire Blast.
Just a little thing. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Also, I support the further discussion of a bulkier Shaymin, running 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe as Shrang suggested. It is a good option over Celebi as it can actually beat some special walls thanks to the SpD drops of Seed Flare. It also doesn't have to rely on low BP moves or those with hindering side effects (Leaf Storm). Just my opinion.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
elDino, you are still allowed to add stuff even after the QC check, especially if it's simple intuitive stuff like what shrang and JTSwift suggested.

The only thing we don't allow doing after it has passed QC is to add whole sets (or just something really stupid, though we do allow gimmicky stuff in OO).

Also, you're going to have to eliminate those God-forsaken accented e's here too, lol.

Deletions
Additions/Corrections
(Comments)

[Overview]

<p>Shaymin is one of the few Pokemon that can effectively take on the role of a bulky Grass-type. With competition from Celebi and Ferrothorn, Shaymin can often find itself in a difficult position when looking for a team slot. Ferrothorn is blessed with an excellent secondary Steel-typing, along with support moves such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, whilst Celebi boasts reliable recovery in Recover, boosting moves in Nasty Plot and Calm Mind, and a great Fighting resistance thanks to its secondary Psychic-typing (no hyphen). However, Shaymin can gain back some ground on its competitors with by having no added weaknesses from a secondary typing, whilst also having ability and access to STAB Seed Flare, a move that greatly benefits it. Shaymin is can run a variety of sets, including offensive sets with a Life Orb and Rest, which combined with Natural Cure offers great recovery. Shaymin can also run a more bulky set with Leech Seed, which allows it to slowly drain the HP of foes that could have outlasted it before outlast it. </p>

<p>On the whole, Shaymin is a great Pokemon in today's metagame, as it handily deals with a heap load of teams that utilise use weather such as rain and sandstorm to their advantage. Bringing key resistances to Water, Ground and Electric to the table make Shaymin more than viable for a teamslot, and when used correctly, it can be a great asset to a team that struggles against such threats.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move1: Seed Flare
move2: Earth Power
move3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
move4: Rest / Leech Seed
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With STAB Seed Flare and great bulk, Shaymin makes a fantastic tank in the metagame (you end the very next sentence the same way, and I think it's a bit repetitive). Being able to switch into the various bulky waters that plague the metagame, along with countering some prominent threats such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar, allow Shaymin to be more than "good" and make it a great choice for a teamslot. Shaymin also has an often overlooked base 100 Speed stat, which allows it to outspeed a lot of the metagame. It can outspeed Heatran, Gyarados and some Jirachi, before doing some serious damage with its strong moves. </p> (this whole first paragraph sounds pretty generally just talking about Shaymin's good qualities again, you should really be being specific about the set. Perhaps this needs to go.)

<p>Seed Flare gives provides great STAB, and also the great side effect of a the 40% chance to cause a Special Defense drop, allowing can sometimes allow Shaymin to sometimes beat some of it's beat a few of its usual counters. Earth Power is to hurt the Steel-types that resist Seed Flare, whilst while also giving Shaymin the ability to lure in and KO non-Air Balloon Heatran. Beware of a Choice Scarf though, as when it is equipped, Heatran will outspeed and KO Shaymin before it can hit back. Hidden Power is the best move in the last slot, rounding up out the coverage. Hidden Power Fire allows Shaymin to deal with the pesky Ferrothorn, a Pokemon that will completely wall this set without it, whilst Hidden Power Ice can be used to lay the hurt on Dragon-types, as well as Gliscor and Landorus. Finally, Shaymin needs to run a recovery move and Rest is usually the best option, as it will fully heal Shaymin and the sleep will be negated as Shaymin switches out. Leech Seed is also a viable choice, as not only does it heal Shaymin, but it drains the HP of the opponent. On the other hand, the a set built around Leech Seed set usually does this better, as offensive Shaymin's lack of defensive investment means that it can be often forced out, and Leech Seed is not <i>the</i> most reliable way to gain back health.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Shaymin can use Synthesis in the last slot to gain some "reliable" recovery, but due to the prevalence of sandstorm and rain in OU, Shaymin is better off with either Rest or Leech Seed unless you are running a sun team. Growth can also be used to give Shaymin a Special Attack boost, but Shaymin lacks sufficient the necessary Speed to be sweeping easily, as it is easily outsped and KOed by common revenge killers such as Terrakion, Garchomp, (comma) and Hydreigon. Growth Shaymin is also outclassed by Venusaur under the sun, as with Chlorophyll, Venusaur can outspeed many plausible potential revenge killers. Shaymin can also utilise utilize Leftovers over Life Orb for a little more staying power, but Shaymin then loses the great power that a Life Orb Seed Flare can supply. Finally, a Modest nature and more HP EVs can make Shaymin a more bulky bulkier and more powerful sweeper, but then Shaymin loses to base 100 (space) Pokemon, a milestone that Shaymin usually needs to hit.</p>

<p>When looking for viable teammates to support Shaymin, one should put it in an offensive Fire / Water / Grass core. This allows Shaymin to have it's its weaknesses covered, whilst being able to take down the bulky Water-types that are can cause trouble for the other two. Heatran is a great partner for the Fire-type, as it can take a few hit due to its great natural bulk, and it can also hit back extremely hard thanks to its base 130 Special Attack stat. Blaziken is another option for the Fire-type, as it can sweep with ease once bulky Water-types such as Jellicent and Suicune are removed. (uber now) As for the A Water-type that will fit well with Shaymin, they needs to be able to take down Fire-types which trouble Shaymin, and they need to be able to deal with Dragon-types if Shaymin lacks Hidden Power Ice, as they can set up at their pleasure leisure. Jellicent and offensive Suicune are good examples, as Jellicent can wall almost any Fire-type, and it has Ice Beam to deal with Dragons. Suicune can also do the same, and it can set up on Heatran without breaking a sweat. Finally, a Steel-type is a good Pokemon to pair with Shaymin as although they share a Fire weakness, Steel-types can help against the Dragon-types that like to switch into Shaymin. A great example is Skarmory, as it has no problem dealing with Garchomp and Salamence once they are locked into Outrage, and it can also help out against some Latios with a specially defensive spreads.</p>

<p>On a more offensive note, Pokemon which can sweep when when bulky Water-types are removed, such as Salamence and Empoleon, also make great teammates, as Shaymin excels at dealing with bulky Water-types which can hinder the aforementioned Pokémon them. Finally, Shaymin appreciates entry hazard support, as it often forces switches. Skarmory and Ferrothorn are good example of Pokemon that can help with such lay down hazards.</p>

[SET]
name: Leech Seed
move1: Leech Seed
move2: Protect / Substitute
move3: Seed Flare
move4: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice / Earth Power
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 76 SpA / 180 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shaymin makes a great abuser of the SubSeed strategy due to its great bulk and STAB Seed Flare to deal significant damage to any Pokemon switching in. Leech Seed defines the set, and with Protect or Substitute, Shaymin is able to last for a very long time whilst slowly sapping away opposing Pokemon's HP. Shaymin can also provide an added buff against the ever-so-common (hyphens) rain and sandstorm teams which plague the metagame, as it's its Grass-typing (no hyphen) gives it super effective coverage against Water-, Rock- and Ground-types and key resistances to Water and Ground as well.</p>

<p>Substitute and Leech Seed create the SubSeed combination that almost every Grass-type can run, allowing Shaymin to endlessly drain away HP from opposing Pokemon. Seed Flare is Shaymin's STAB move, and it has a great 120 base power that hits hard even with a small investment. Shaymin's last move slot provides coverage along with Seed Flare. Hidden Power Fire is to hit Steel-types, most importantly Ferrothorn, Scizor, (comma) and Skarmory. Hidden Power Ice provides great coverage on Dragon-types such as Dragonite, the Lati twins Latios, Latias, and Garchomp, whilst also giving Shaymin a way to hit Grass-types that are immune to Leech Seed. Finally, Earth Power is a somewhat a viable option, as it too has super effective coverage on Steel-types, most importantly, (no comma) Heatran, (comma) who is almost the perfect counter to Shaymin without it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This Shaymin can make use of Giga Drain over Seed Flare for some extra recovery, but the drop in power is very significant due to the low investment in Shaymin's only average Special Attack stat. Shaymin is also able to use an EV spread that has more bulk, but as it has many common weaknesses, this is usually outclassed by Ferrothorn, which has many extra resistances to use as it has many extra resistances with which to utilise to its advantage. Finally, Shaymin could be made to be a more offensive Leech Seeder, but it would probably be outclassed by Whimsicott, whose ability, Prankster, gives priority to its support moves, as due to Prankster, it has priority on all of it's moves along with added support options such as Taunt and Stun Spore.</p>

<p>When using Shaymin, it should almost definitely be used in a Fire / Water / Grass core as it provides the resistances that are key for the other two. If it is not included in one of these set ups, it is usually outclassed by Ferrothorn, as it also is able to use Spikes, granting it extra support options. Some Pokemon that work well with this Shaymin are generally more defensively inclined, so Pokemon such as Jellicent, Tentacruel, (hyphen) and Gyarados work well as the Water-type whilst Heatran generally is an excellent partner for the Fire-type. These Pokemon can also help to counter Pokemon that set up on Shaymin. For example, Shaymin without Hidden Power Ice is set-up (hyphen) bait for Latios, and specially defensive Heatran generally does a good job of walling this Latios. Defensive Gyarados can come in on a Garchomp that has set up on Shaymin, Intimidate it, (comma) and then Roar it away so that it takes entry hazard damage. All in all, Shaymin's teammates should be able to wall and help out against the beastly offensive threats that can come in against it, otherwise Shaymin becomes a burden for a the team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>In general, Shaymin lacks many other effective options outside of those listed. A Choice set is viable, however, being locked into Seed Flare is not usually a good options as Pokemon such as Thundurus, Tornadurus Tornadus, and Dragonite can easily come in and start firing off strong STAB attacks. A Swords Dance set could also be used, but Shaymin lacks a broad physical movepool, and as such this is not usually the best option for the hedgehog. Finally, Shaymin might be able to run a support set, as it does pack the incredibly rare Aromatherapy, but it is often seen as outclassed by other supporters such as Blissey, Jirachi, (comma) and Vaporeon as they can offer more for a team as a on the whole.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>If Shaymin is without Earth Power, it Heatran will completely destroy Shaymin as it 4x resists Seed Flare and Shaymin is unable to hit it with anything hard. Also, if Heatran carries an Air Balloon, it can even beat Shaymin that do pack Earth Power, as Shaymin will have to take one turn popping the Balloon whilst it gets roasted with a super effective STAB Fire Blast. Other Fire-types will also have an easy time coming in. Darmanitan, Infernape, (comma) and Ninetails Ninetales can come in on a resisted Seed Flare, and start sending out high powered Fire-type attacks to get in some good damage on Shaymin and the other members of the team. Also, Dragon-types resist Seed Flare also, so Pokemon such as Dragonite, the Lati twins Latios, Latias, and Salamence can all come in and begin to set up against Shaymin. However, Shaymin can carry Hidden Power Ice to deal with some of these threats, so they must be careful when switching in. Finally, on the Leech Seed set, any Pokemon with Taunt and a resistance to Grass-type moves can come in and wreck that Shaymin, as it is without a way to damage any Pokemon switching in.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Shaymin does not have a Dream World ability.</p>
(If Shaymin doesn't have one, and you're not going to talk about how others' DW abilities may effect Shaymin, no section needed)

I think it was perhaps a bit overly wordy, but not bad overall. GP 1/2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)