Shaymin (Gen 4, Growth Sweeper)*

This was originally going to be sent, But I felt that this may need some proofreading first.

Note that this is my first analysis I've done so go easy on me :(.If i have missed something important or anything similar or if i have broken a rule, Please do tell me!

Anyway I've been testing Shaymin with Growth on my offensive team and it is working wonderfully. I'm quite surprised this set's potential wasn't even discovered long after Shaymin-s, who can run a much better Growth set, was banned.

If anyone wants to question this set's potential, I can provide logs.

STATUS: looking over it, I think its ready to be uploaded and thus not much needs to be added. However if anyone finds a mistake or anything similar, Please do contact me via IRC or by simply posting here.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shaymin
--------
[SET]
name: Growth Sweeper
move 1: Growth
move 2: Seed Flare
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
Nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
ivs: 6 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and the power of its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk, and while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. Thanks to Seed Flare and its lack of Psychic typing, Shaymin isn't KOed by Crunch or Pursuit, both moves that Celebi is vulerable to, and it can hit its opponent hard with a boosted Seed Flare. This is something that Celebi is quite vulnerable to.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steel-types who resist Seed Flare. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire should be decided by what Pokemon gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets Shaymin hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and also hits Skarmory and Bronzong, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragon-types, such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the Pokemon previously mentioned. However, the prevalence of sandstorm in OU severely reduces Synthesis's effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb inconvenient. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, Shaymin is unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to Speed tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. These calculations are assuming a Timid nature, a Growth boost, and Life Orb.</p>

<h3>Damage Calculations</h3>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Seed Flare vs Min HP / Min SpD neutral natured Latias: 42.1% - 49.7%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpA neutral natured Rotom Appliance: 98.7% - 116.4%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / 56 SpD positive natured Cresselia: 49.5% - 58.8%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpD neutral natured Cresselia: 57.4% - 67.6%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs 248 HP / Min SpD neutral natured Scizor: 56% - 65.9%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs Max HP / 156 SpD positive natured Jirachi: 61.9% - 73.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power vs Max HP / Min SpD neutral natured Celebi: 61.4% - 72.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Fire vs Max HP / 92 SpD positive natured Bronzong: 54.4% - 64.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble using Growth and potentially sweeping. Once Shaymin has set up Growth, even Pokemon who resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations above.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin wields, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while using Recover to heal off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you choose to run Hidden Power Fire instead of Hidden Power Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it that packs a super effective STAB attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, it can also OHKO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer who can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only fares well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy with Shaymin. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if it's packing Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure, such as Heatran or Infernape, is an effective way to let Shaymin set up a Growth more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon, allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, as Shaymin matches up well with the majority of Ground-types.</p>
------

ehh I found some mistakes, but just nitpicks. I'm not one to proofread :P.

--------
[SET]
name:Growth Sweeper
move 1:Growth
move 2:Seed Flare
move 3:Earth Power
move 4:Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire
item:Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature:Timid/Modest
evs:4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to it's ( should be its ) Typing and Bulk. And while ( why the random Caps?) at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, (space after comma)Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is somewhat easy to use. Come in on something it can force out, (again, space after comma) and use Growth to let Shaymin sit at a Special Attack stat of 448 which is backed up by Life Orb, boosting its Special Attack further. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble setting up Growth and then attempt a possible sweep. Once Shaymin has used Growth, Seed Flare becomes an incredibly powerful attack that turns Growth Shaymin into a nightmare for unprepared teams.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other steels that resist your STAB.The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire may depend on what threat gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets you hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and burns Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragons such as Salamence and Latias, Both which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Beware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the targets listed. However the rather low health recovery input due to the prevalence of sandstorm leaves little to desire. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power to take advantage of the benefits brought by Substitute.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb disturbing. However in exchange you lose some power and thus some valuable OHKOs (you don't say 1HKOs) and 2HKOs are out of your reach. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative over Timid for the extra power it brings.Otherwise,(space) you are better off with Timid. As Timid gets most of the 2HKOs and OHKOs Modest does, even with Life Orb. And it is especially important to tie with other base 100s at worst unless Shaymin is running Hidden Power Fire.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin holds, it still has trouble (remove s) with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds at Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while recovering off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you run Hidden Power Fire instead of Ice.This Shaymin also has trouble with anything that faster than it and packs a STAB, super effective attack. For example a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail but once in, can also KO Shaymin with Fire Blast, making it advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice as she not only has the ability to fare well against the threats listed, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice to revenge kill Latias while handling Heatran and has some decent synergy to boot. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin especially if it's packing Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure such as Heatran or Infernape is a really beneficial way to let Shaymin set up a Growth much more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon with ease, allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, (comma I think, correct me if I'm wrong) one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, as Shaymin matches up well with the majority of ground-types.</p>
------
I am pretty sure I missed a lot of things, especially commas, but screw it, I suck at proofreading :P

This was originally going to be sent, But I felt that this may need some proofreading first.

Note that this is my first analysis I've done so go easy on me :(.If i have missed something important or anything similar or if i have broken a rule, Please do tell me!

Anyway I've been testing Shaymin with Growth on my offensive team and it is working wonderfully. I'm quite surprised this set's potential wasn't even discovered long after Shaymin-s, who can run a much better Growth set, was banned.

If anyone wants to question this set's potential,I can provide logs.

--------
[SET]
name:Growth Sweeper
move 1:Growth
move 2:Seed Flare
move 3:Earth Power
move 4:Hidden Power Ice/Hidden Power Fire
item:Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature:Timid/Modest
evs:4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk. While at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly, thanks to Seed Flare and lack of Psychic typing.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is somewhat easy to use. Come in on something it can force out, and use Growth to let Shaymin sit at a Special Attack stat of 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble setting up Growth.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steels that resist your STAB. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire is decided by what threat gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets you hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and burns Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragons such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the targets listed. However, the prevalance of sand in OU reduces Synthesis's effectiveness severely. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb disturbing. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. Which are???? Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as Timid gets most of the 2HKOs and OHKOs Modest does, even with Life Orb. Furthermore, it is desirable to at least tie with base 100s such as Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin holds, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while R ecovering off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you run Hidden Power Fire instead of Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it packing a STAB super effective attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail but, should it come in safely, can also KO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to bring a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only has the ability to fare well against the threats listed, cut can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy to boot. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if it's carrying Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure, such as Heatran or Infernape, is an effective way to let Shaymin set up a Growth much more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon with ease, allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, as Shaymin matches up well against the majority of Ground-types.</p>
------

If anyone wants to question this set's potential,I can provide logs.

--------
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk. While at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. You must list why / how it can be deadly. I for one am not going to take your word for it. This paragraph is rather short as well.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set is somewhat easy to use. Come in on something it can force out, and use Growth to raise its Special Attack to a stat of 448 which is backed up by Life Orb, boosting its Special Attack further. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble setting up Growth and then attempt a possible sweep. Once Shaymin has used Growth, Seed Flare becomes an incredibly powerful attack that turns Growth Shaymin into a nightmare for unprepared teams. You repeat this over and over again, that Growth makes Shaymin and Seed Flare more powerful. But what does it kill that it can't without the boost? Exactly how much damage?</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steel-types that resist your STAB. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire may depend on what threat gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets you hit Scizor and Forretress harder than you other attacks would and burns Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragons such as Salamence and Latias, both which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Beware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the targets listed. However the rather low health recovery input due to the prevalence of sandstorm leaves little to desire. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power to take advantage of the benefits brought by Substitute.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb disturbing. However in exchange you lose some power and thus some valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs are out of your reach. What OHKOs and 2HKOs would that be? Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative over Timid for the extra power it brings.Otherwise, you are better off with Timid. As Timid gets most of the 2HKOs and OHKOs Modest does, even with Life Orb. Again, what 2HKOs / OHKOs are these? And is especially important to tie with other base 100s at worst unless Shaymin is running Hidden Power Fire.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin holds, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds at Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while recovering off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you run Hidden Power Fire instead of Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it and packs a STAB, super effective attack. For example a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail but once in, Can also KO Shaymin with Fire Blast, Making it advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice as she not only has the ability to fare well against the threats listed, But can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice to revenge kill Latias while handling Heatran and has some decent synergy to boot. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin especially if its packing Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure such as Heatran or Infernape is a really beneficial way to let Shaymin set up a Growth much more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon with ease, Allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, As Shaymin matches up well with the majority of Ground-types.</p>
------

For example after Growth and Life Orb if special drop from Seed Flare kicks in, even Specially Defensive Snorlax goes in two hits. It's quite impressive and Celebi can't achieve this anytime soon. Also you can beat Specially Defensive Skarmory if it switches on Growth Seed Flare and special drop kicks in (and you finish it with HP Fire). And you survive Brave Bird (yeah, it hurts, but oh well).

Yes, I used in the past Growth Shaymin and it's surprisingly good sweeper. If you're lucky with special def drops you may beat... Blissey (yeah, it happened for me few times, however you barely stay alive). Seed Flare is good enough advantage to include Shaymin over CM Celebi. I would also think of adding Air Slash, as it helps alot against other grass types like Celebi and 4 HP Salamence goes in two hits from Air Slash if you hit it on switch.

I guess that's it. I hope my post helps a bit ;).

Thanks for the much needed proofreads both. Added most of these changes, but the major ones are currently in progress. Also added some examples about those 2HKOs and 1HKOs you miss on and removed mentions for the second part, but that too is in progress.

And garganator, Hidden Power Ice is enough to hit both Celebi and Salamence for good damage. I don't really see how Air slash helps here. It doesn't even outdamage Seed Flare against Min/Min Latias (Seed flare does 42-49% if i recall)

And garganator, Hidden Power Ice is enough to hit both Celebi and Salamence for good damage. I don't really see how Air slash helps here. It doesn't even outdamage Seed Flare against Min/Min Latias (Seed flare does 42-49% if i recall)
Well, I mentioned Air Slash as you can't have both HP Fire and HP Ice and with Air Slash you gain a bit more neutral coverage, but yeah, it's not big bonus. And to be honest I'm not sure if you 2OHKO Celebi with HP Ice after Growth. With Air Slash it's certain 2OHKO.

Well, I mentioned Air Slash as you can't have both HP Fire and HP Ice and with Air Slash you gain a bit more neutral coverage, but yeah, it's not big bonus. And to be honest I'm not sure if you 2OHKO Celebi with HP Ice after Growth. With Air Slash it's certain 2OHKO.
Actually Hidden Power Ice does(61.4% - 72.3%) but I see what you mean. After asking for opinions on IRC, I think i'm going to stay away from Air Slash

Malfunction

nice desu ne

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk. And while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. Thanks to Seed Flare and the lack of a Psychic typing, it doesn't roll over and die to Crunch or Pursuit and can hit all of them (the way "them" is used here implies that Shaymin can hit the attacks, not the users of the attacks) back hard with a boosted Seed Flare, something that Calm Mind Celebi only wishes to do.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steels that resist your STAB attack. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire is decided by what threat gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets you hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and burns Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground (I think you meant to reverse that; it's actually Scizor and Forretress who are "burned to the ground"), while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragons such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the targets listed. However, the prevalence of sand in OU severely reduces Synthesis' effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb disturbing. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, you are unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to at least tie with base 100s such as Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. This is assuming a Timid nature and a Life Orb.</p>

<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble setting up Growth and potentially sweep. After a single Growth, even Pokemon that resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin holds, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while Recovering off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you run Hidden Power Fire instead of Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it packing a STAB super effective attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, it can also KO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only has the ability to fare well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran having decent synergy to boot (This sentence seems like a run-on sentence for me. What exactly do you mean with "while handling Heatran having decent synergy to boot"? I would consider rewording it). Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if its packing Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure, such as Heatran or Infernape, is an effective way to let Shaymin set up a Growth much more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon with ease, allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, as Shaymin matches up well with the majority of Ground-types.</p>

Thanks for the proofread, added the changes.

This is done, If theres anything needed to be added, let me know. Updated the status too.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk, and while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. Thanks to Seed Flare and the lack of a Psychic typing, Shaymin doesn't roll over and die to Crunch or Pursuit and can hit back hard with a boosted Seed Flare. This is something that Celebi is quite vulnerable to.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble setting up Growth and potentially sweep. Once Shaymin has set up Growth, even Pokemon that resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations further below.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steels that resist Seed Flare. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire is decided by what threat gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets you hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and burns Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragons, such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the targets listed. However, the prevalence of sand in OU severely reduces Synthesis' effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb disturbing. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, you are unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to at least tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. This is assuming with a Timid nature and a Life Orb.</p>

<li>Seed Flare Vs Min HP / Min Spd Latias: 42.1% - 49.7%</li>
<li>Seed Flare Vs Max HP Rotom Appliance: 98.7% - 116.4%</li>
<li>Seed Flare Vs Max HP / 56 Spd Cresselia: 49.5% - 58.8%</li>
<li>Seed Flare Vs Max HP / Min Spd Cresselia: 57.4% - 67.6%</li>
<li>Earth Power Vs 248 HP / Min Spd Scizor: 56% - 65.9%</li>
<li>Earth Power Vs Max HP / 156 Spd Jirachi: 61.9% - 73.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Vs Max HP / Min Spd Celebi: 61.4% - 72.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Fire Vs Max HP / 92 Spd Bronzong: 54.4% - 64.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin holds, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while Recovering off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you run Hidden Power Fire instead of Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it that packs a STAB super effective attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, can also KO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only has the ability to fare well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy to boot. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if its packing Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure, such as Heatran or Infernape, is an effective way to let Shaymin set up a Growth much more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon with ease, allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, as Shaymin matches up well with the majority of Ground-types.</p>
------
Nice!

using fuzznip's stuff

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk, and while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. Thanks to Seed Flare and the lack of a Psychic typing, Shaymin doesn't roll over and die to Crunch or Pursuit, and can hit back hard with a boosted Seed Flare, something Celebi cannot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble setting up Growth and potentially sweep. Once Shaymin has set up Growth, even Pokemon that resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations further below.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steels that resist Seed Flare. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire is decided by what threat gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets you hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and burns Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragons, such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the targets listed. However, the prevalence of sand in OU severely reduces Synthesis's effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferable item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb problematic. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, you are unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to at least tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. This is assuming a Timid nature and a Life Orb.</p>

<li>Seed Flare Vs Min HP / Min SpD Latias: 42.1% - 49.7%</li>
<li>Seed Flare Vs Max HP Rotom Appliance: 98.7% - 116.4%</li>
<li>Seed Flare Vs Max HP / 56 SpD Cresselia: 49.5% - 58.8%</li>
<li>Seed Flare Vs Max HP / Min SpD Cresselia: 57.4% - 67.6%</li>
<li>Earth Power Vs 248 HP / Min SpD Scizor: 56% - 65.9%</li>
<li>Earth Power Vs Max HP / 156 SpD Jirachi: 61.9% - 73.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Vs Max HP / Min SpD Celebi: 61.4% - 72.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Fire Vs Max HP / 92 SpD Bronzong: 54.4% - 64.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin holds, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while Recovering off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you run Hidden Power Fire instead of Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it that packs a STAB super effective attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, can also KO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only has the ability to fare well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy to boot. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if it carries Life Orb.</p>

------

abbreviations were a bit ambiguous; smogon standard is SpD for spdef and Spe for speed :) great work <333

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise the power of Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk, and while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be very deadly when used properly. Thanks to Seed Flare and the lack of Psychic typing, Shaymin isn't KOed by (uhh it just sounds unprofessional to me I guess) Crunch or Pursuit and can hit back hard with a boosted Seed Flare. This is something that Celebi is quite vulnerable to.</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steel-types that resist Seed Flare. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire is decided by what [Pokemon gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets Shaymin hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and hits Skarmory and Bronzong to the ground, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragon-types, such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the Pokemon previously mentioned. However, the prevalence of sandstorm in OU severely reduces Synthesis' effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb disturbing. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, Shaymin is unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to at least speed tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. These calculations are assuming with a Timid nature and a Life Orb.</p>

<li>Seed Flare vs Min HP / Min SpD Latias: 42.1% - 49.7%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP Rotom Appliance: 98.7% - 116.4%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / 56 SpD Cresselia: 49.5% - 58.8%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpD Cresselia: 57.4% - 67.6%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs 248 HP / Min SpD Scizor: 56% - 65.9%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs Max HP / 156 SpDJirachi: 61.9% - 73.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power vs Max HP / Min SpD Celebi: 61.4% - 72.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Fire vs Max HP / 92 SpD Bronzong: 54.4% - 64.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble using Growth and potentially sweeping. Once Shaymin has set up Growth, even Pokemon that resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations above.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin wields, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while using Recover to heal off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you choose to run Hidden Power Fire instead of Hidden Power Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it that packs a super effective STAB attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, can also OHKO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer that can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only has the ability to fare well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy with Shaymin. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if it's packing Life Orb.</p>

Changes in black
Removals in red
Comments in blue

Good job, I'm so glad that somebody decided to do a new Shaymin set. :)

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steel-types who resist Seed Flare. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire is decided by what Pokemon gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets Shaymin hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and also hits Skarmory and Bronzong, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragon-types, such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the Pokemon previously mentioned. However, the prevalence of sandstorm in OU severely reduces Synthesis' effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>
<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble using Growth and potentially sweep. Once Shaymin has set up Growth, even Pokemon who resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations above.</p>
<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin wields, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while using Recover to heal off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you choose to run Hidden Power Fire instead of Hidden Power Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it that packs a super effective, STAB attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, can also OHKO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer who can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only has the ability to fare well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy with Shaymin. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if it's packing Life Orb.</p>
"Pokemon are people". I love using Shaymin in OU so I'll try this set... looks good !

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. These calculations assume a Timid nature, a Growth boost, and Life Orb.</p>

<li>+1 Seed Flare vs Min HP / Min SpD neutral natured Latias: 42.1% - 49.7%</li>
<li>+1 Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpA neutral natured Rotom Appliance: 98.7% - 116.4%</li>
<li>+1 Seed Flare vs Max HP / 56 SpD positive natured Cresselia: 49.5% - 58.8%</li>
<li>+1 Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpD neutral natured Cresselia: 57.4% - 67.6%</li>
<li>+1 Earth Power vs 248 HP / Min SpD neutral natured Scizor: 56% - 65.9%</li>
<li>+1 Earth Power vs Max HP / 156 SpD positive natured Jirachi: 61.9% - 73.3%</li>
<li>+1 Hidden Power vs Max HP / Min SpD neutral natured Celebi: 61.4% - 72.3%</li>
<li>+1 Hidden Power Fire vs Max HP / 92 SpD positive natured Bronzong: 54.4% - 64.5%</li>
</ul>
Added in more specifications. Also, you might want to think about changing the spread for Jirachi, as not many people use those EVs. Maybe 80 HP / Min SpD.

I think this is done now, criticisms and proofreads are still welcome but other than that, I think this analysis is ready for upload.

Speed tie should be capitalized:

Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to Speed tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.
It's been approved to be capitalized.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise Shaymin's["Special Attack" doesn't really have "power"] respectable Special Attack and the power of its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk, and while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. Thanks to its lack of Psychic typing, Shaymin isn't KOed by Crunch or Pursuit, both moves that Celebi is vulerable to, and it can hit its opponents hard with a boosted Seed Flare.[its lack of Psychic-typing is not the reason why it can hit hard with Seed Flare]</p>

<p>Earth Power allows Shaymin to hit Heatran and other Steel-types who resist Seed Flare. The choice between Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire should be decided by what Pokemon gives you the most trouble. Hidden Power Fire lets Shaymin hit Scizor and Forretress harder than your other attacks would and also hits Skarmory and Bronzong, while Hidden Power Ice is useful against Dragon-types, such as Salamence and Latias, both of which are common switch-ins to Shaymin. Be aware that if you run Hidden Power Fire, Shaymin will have an imperfect Speed stat. Synthesis can be used over Hidden Power if you don't mind the Pokemon previously mentioned. However, the prevalence of sandstorm in OU severely reduces Synthesis's effectiveness. Substitute is also a worthwhile option over Hidden Power.</p>

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb inconvenient. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, Shaymin is unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to Speed tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power of Growth Shaymin, here are some damage calculations. These calculations are assuming a Timid nature, a Growth boost, and Life Orb.</p>

<li>Seed Flare vs Min HP / Min SpD neutral natured Latias: 42.1% - 49.7%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpA neutral natured Rotom Appliance: 98.7% - 116.4%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / 56 SpD positive natured Cresselia: 49.5% - 58.8%</li>
<li>Seed Flare vs Max HP / Min SpD neutral natured Cresselia: 57.4% - 67.6%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs 248 HP / Min SpD neutral natured Scizor: 56% - 65.9%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs Max HP / 156 SpD positive natured Jirachi: 61.9% - 73.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power vs Max HP / Min SpD neutral natured Celebi: 61.4% - 72.3%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Fire vs Max HP / 92 SpD positive natured Bronzong: 54.4% - 64.5%</li>
</ul>

<p>Using this set is rather simple. Come in on something Shaymin can force out, and use Growth to boost its Special Attack stat to 448. Thanks to Shaymin's bulk, it will have little trouble using Growth and potentially sweeping. Once Shaymin has set up Growth, even Pokemon who resist Shaymin's Seed Flare or special walls not named Blissey will have a hard time switching in, as shown in the damage calculations above.</p>

<p>Despite the massive power Growth Shaymin wields, it still has trouble with some of its more common switch-ins. Latias can come in on Earth Power with ease and set up Calm Minds in Shaymin's face, taking less damage from Hidden Power Ice every turn while using Recover to heal off the damage in the process. Salamence and Dragonite can also give Shaymin problems should you choose to run Hidden Power Fire instead of Hidden Power Ice. This Shaymin also has trouble with anything faster than it that packs a super effective STAB attack. For example, a Choice Scarf Heatran can come in on Seed Flare or Hidden Power and scare Shaymin away with its STAB Fire Blast. Infernape is frail, but should it come in safely, it can also OHKO Shaymin with Fire Blast. Therefore, it is advisable to pack a powerful revenge killer who can deal with these threats. Choice Scarf Latias is an excellent choice, as she not only [unneeded wording]fares well against the aforementioned threats, but can also revenge kill Dragon Dance Salamence and Dragonite. Choice Scarf Tyranitar is another viable choice for revenge killing Latias, while handling Heatran and having decent synergy with Shaymin. Beware that the sandstorm Tyranitar brings can be a nuisance to Shaymin, especially if it's packing Life Orb.</p>

<p>Having a Water-type lure, such as Heatran or Infernape, is an effective way to let Shaymin set up a Growth more easily. Shaymin has the ability to survive most super effective hits from the likes of Suicune and Vaporeon, allowing Shaymin to set up a Growth and possibly sweep. Alternatively, one can consider using a Ground-type lure in a similar manner, as Shaymin matches up well with the majority of Ground-types.</p>
Just a few small nitpicks. Nice job.

Just two things.

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to raise Shaymin's respectable Special Attack and the power of its destructive STAB in Seed Flare to greater heights. Shaymin can make excellent use of Growth thanks to its typing and bulk, and while at first glance this may seem like an inferior Calm Mind Celebi, Growth Shaymin can actually be deadly when used properly. Thanks to Seed Flare and its lack of Psychic typing, Shaymin isn't KOed by Crunch or Pursuit(Seed Flare is not helping Shaymin not be KOed by Crunch/Pursuit), both moves that Celebi is vulnerable to, and it can hit its opponent hard with a boosted Seed Flare. This is something that Celebi is quite vulnerable to(Celebi is vulnerable because it can't hit the opponent with Seed Flare? This doesn't really make sense. It is already stated for the pursuit weakness part so it doesn't have to be repeated.).</p>

Rewrite as:
Thanks to its lack of Psychic typing, Shaymin isn't KOed by Crunch or Pursuit, both moves that Celebi is vulnerable to. Shaymin also has Seed Flare in its arsenal which will always be hitting at least as hard as Celebi's Grass Knot while having the added bonus of sharply lowering the opponent's Special Defense.

<p>Life Orb is normally the preferred item due to the extra power it brings, but Leftovers can be used if you find the damage from sandstorm and Life Orb burdening. However, forfeiting this power leaves several valuable OHKOs and 2HKOs out of your reach. For example, Shaymin is unable to secure a guaranteed 2HKO on Scizor with Earth Power. Note that if you are running Leftovers, a Modest nature can be a nice alternative to Timid for the power boost. Otherwise, you are better off with Timid, as it is desirable to Speed tie with base 100s like Salamence and Jirachi.</p>

Inconvenient does not convey what should be I feel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)