move 3: Dazzling Gleam / Earth Power
move 4: Synthesis / Rest
ability: Natural Cure
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Seed Flare, despite its common resists, is a very spammable move due to its amazing secondary effect of cutting the opponent's Special Defense in half
  • Dazzling Gleam OHKOes Hydreigon and also hits other Dragon-types such as Kyurem and Noivern super effectively
  • Earth Power hits several types that resist Seed Flare super-effectively, particularly Steel-types
  • Psychic gets coverage Pokemon such as Heracross and a variety of Grass-types which would otherwise wall Shaymin
  • Air Slash offers better coverage than Psychic, particularly on Celebi, but its horridly low base power makes it inferior to Psychic. However, unlike Psychic, Air Slash OHKOes Heracross.
  • Synthesis gives Shaymin reliable recovery
  • Rest heals Shaymin fully and pairs nicely with Natural Cure, but essentially requires Shaymin to switch out after using it, so it is rather exploitable
  • Healing Wish

Set Details
========
  • The given spread is self-explanatory, it gives Shaymin as much Speed and power as possible
  • Life Orb is used to help Shaymin wallbreak; it does not mind the recoil quite as much as other Life Orb users thanks to Synthesis

Usage Tips
========
  • Shaymin should switch in on bulky Water-types such as Slowbro and Swampert and proceed to wallbreak with its powerful Life Orb boosted moves
  • Seed Flare is the move Shaymin should be using most often, as the Special Defense drop can let it break through Pokemon that would otherwise wall it

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon such as Victini, Mega Aerodactyl, and Darmanitan that appriciate bulky Water-types being removed or worn down make good partners to Shaymin
  • Pokemon that can lure in and remove special walls, such as Superpower or Megahorn Nidoking, make good partners to Shaymin

Leech Seed
########
name: Leech Seed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Seed Flare
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Substitute / Protect
ability: Natural Cure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Leech Seed lets Shaymin wear down special walls such as Blissey and Florges with ease and also keeps it healthy
  • Seed Flare is still a strong reliable STAB move
  • Psychic hits Roserade super effectively and gets decent coverage with Seed Flare
  • Dazzling Gleam can be used to hit Hydreigon
  • Substitute lets Shaymin stall out opponents in conjunction with Leech Seed
  • Protect works similarly to Substitute on this set, but it lets Shaymin have an easier time regaining health and is less spammable than Substitute

Set Details
========
  • Although this set may seem to be more defensively oriented, an offensive spread is preferred in order to make the most of Shaymin's good Speed tier and let it still function well against offensive teams with its powerful Seed Flare
  • Leftovers is used to let Shaymin get enough residual healing alongside Leech Seed to be able to continuously make Substitutes and to have more survivability in general
  • 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe can be used for 101 HP Substitutes, but the only common user of Seismic Toss in UU is Blissey, which hates Leech Seed enough anyway. The drop in power is also huge.

Usage Tips
========
  • Use Leech Seed on predicted switches to special walls
  • Once you have seeded a Pokemon, you can repeatedly use Substitute to wear it down without losing any health or wear it down more quickly with Seed Flare

Team Options
========
  • Strong Fire-types such as Infernape and Mega Houndoom make great teammates to Shaymin because they can beat the Grass-types that wall it and appricate the removal of bulky Water-types. Mega Houndoom in particular benefits from Shaymin as a partner since it has an easier time sweeping after Shaymin has worn down opposing special walls.
  • Pokemon that appriciate special walls being worn down such as Nasty Plot Infernape make good partners to this set.

Other Options
########
  • Choice Scarf and Specs

Checks & Counters
########
  • Special walls
  • Fire-types
  • Bulky Steel-types
  • Flying-types

Last edited:
Air Slash hits like a bitch. At least Psychic hurts the stuff it's supposed to hurt.

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi: 130-153 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 146-174 (39 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Psychic > Air Slash on all sets.

Air Slash hits like a bitch. At least Psychic hurts the stuff it's supposed to hurt.

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi: 130-153 (32.1 - 37.8%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 146-174 (39 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Air Slash is kinda needed on the SubSeed set to actually damage opposing Grass-types who are immune to Leech Seed. The flinch chance is also nice. Though I will agree Psychic should definitely be slashed first on the first set.

Both of those are 2HKOed by Air Slash if they switch into a Special Defense drop. Air Slash also OHKOes Heracross which Psychic cannot do. I'll put Psychic first on the first set though.

Though they aren't overly common (especially Poison-), I would briefly mention Ice- and Poison-types in C&C.
I want to avoid C&C just being a laundry list of types Shaymin is weak to. Also, Shaymin is faster than most, if not all, Poison-types in UU and can Earth Power / Psychic them. Meanwhile, the only Ice-type in UU is Cloyster, which gets outsped and...

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Cloyster: 884-1045 (366.8 - 433.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

...yeah.

Edit: forgot about Crobat but that's also a flying-type so it doesn't really matter

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rename the Life Orb set Offensive. It makes more sense.
Also, I would slash Rest before Synthesis as the full recovery is increadibly good, and it should only really be attempting to recover on forced switches anyway, meaning that you are going to switch out of the check/conter on the following turn anyway.

Also, wouldn't Shaymin be outclassed by Roserade in the role of SubSeeder due to its overall better bulk?

Last edited:
Rename the Life Orb set Offensive. It makes more sense.
Also, I would slash Rest before Synthesis as the full recovery is increadibly good, and it should only really be attempting to recover on forced switches anyway, meaning that you are going to switch out of the check/conter on the following turn anyway.

Also, wouldn't Shaymin be outclassed by Roserade in the role of SubSeeder due to its overall better bulk?
Both the sets are offensive. And Synthesis is better because Rest makes you a sitting duck and gives up momentum.

I've been really busy with the end of school and stuff, sorry. I should have this QC ready in the next few days. I'll get working on Kyurem too, but that might take a while because it has like six sets lol.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
add a swords dance set. 4 hp / 252 atk / 252 speed jolly with leftovers / life orb. swords dance / seed bomb / return / synthesis. people generally switch blissey first thing into this and lose momentum immediately if they do. also kills common switch ins such as roserade, florges, goodra, and umbreon which are common switch ins

the subseed set should be using max hp to be able to stall blissey. air slash should probably be the coverage move as it hits most grasstypes which are immune to leech seed. i would suggest a spread of 252 hp / 120 spatk / 136 spe with timid to beat nidoking and jolly heracross while still keeping some offensive power.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Tbh I'm gonna play somewhat devil's advocate to FLCL's suggestion and say SD Shaymin is OO worthy, as it relies on an absurd amount of surprise value to sweep, something which isn't deserving of its own full-fledged set. SD Shaymin has serious flaws including being affected by burn's side effects beyond residual damage, being unable to scare out Sableye (one of its hugest perks imo), and doing nothing to help it against offense, where it needs that high base power STAB and coverage.

Also I would mention Seed Flare's low PP in the overview, as that actually comes up as an issue for me often enough to warrant it.

Also put Healing Wish in OO. This damn 'mon puts it to such good use.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Also put Healing Wish in OO. This damn 'mon puts it to such good use.
i'd go as far as to say slash it with Synth/Rest. offensive teams who can't afford to run a cleric or a wish passer can massively benefit from the surprise value that healing wish shaymin brings to the table as far as being able to fully heal their most important poke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)